• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Concern about Legion stealing players

61 posts in this topic

Posted

I wouldn't be all to sure about that, there are quite a few MMO players these days that just hop games between WoW expansions.

Personally, I doubt the majority of players that are here right now will still be playing BDO by he time Legion rolls around, though... not because of Legion, mind you, but because they get bored an leave on their own... this game is very niche.

Sorry, but I stopped playing WoW back in 2006 and I haven't been back since.  I have bounced around several MMO titles and I will have to say that BDO is  a lot better than most of the current MMO's that are currently in release.  

For me IMO WoW, has a cartoon feel to it more so than I care to say about it.  

I will tip my hat to WoW for being the "gold" standard for most MMO's for over 10 years that every MMO has tried to emulate.  EvE Online is another sandbox MMO that has been around now for 10+ years as well.  Both WoW and EvE Online have a strong and loyal following of players as well as any of the MMO's that are out there right now.  

Respectfully, you will have those players that will hate on the same said games as well for various reasons.  To each their own, but, you will find players that will hate on a game (or any game for that fact) because it doesn't meet their expectations in one form or another.

I have to agree with WarBaby2 on the fact that you will have players that will hop between MMO's between expansions of their favorite game(s) because of one reason or another.  I will admit to doing that with a few MMO's as well. 

But, there will be those out there that see then next MMO that is about to be released and say "that is going to be the killer of XYZ".

Just take what you read and view with a gain of salt and make your own judgement(s) about any MMO title that is out there today.

Cheers!

1 person likes this

Posted

Well I play mostly PvP, and since Legion is changing a lot of things apparently, the PvP and Honor system as well, got atleast me pretty intressted, but I have losen all hope for WoW so I'm pretty sure I won't go back at all. But I get your point.

im actually going back just to see if itll be like TBC days,  If so ill definetely be gone for WoW for a while. That eras ranked pvp was so damn fun, it left me with a competetive void once it left.

Posted

im actually going back just to see if itll be like TBC days,  If so ill definetely be gone for WoW for a while. That eras ranked pvp was so damn fun, it left me with a competetive void once it left.

Yeah I might check it out as well but I highly doubt that they will make it so good again that I will want to stick around permanently again and leave BDO for it, but only time can tell, we shall see.

Posted

Legion's probably going to flop like Warlords of Draenor, considering they're bringing back the garrison follower/mission/Farmville crap.

OrderMissions-Header-121515.jpg

But I highly doubt it's going to make a huge impact on BDO's population. Most ex-WoW players that I've chatted to have already decided that Legion wouldn't be worth going back for. As someone who has recently unsubbed, I feel the same way. Nothing about Legion, besides the Forsaken undertones, makes me excited.

Posted

As others said, you're talking different playerbases, entirely. Those that don't quit BDO by the time WoW's next expansion comes out aren't going to be the kind to care for WoW.

Posted (edited)

But, there will be those out there that see then next MMO that is about to be released and say "that is going to be the killer of XYZ".

Ah, the myth of the "WoW killer" is pretty much done for... there is only one WoW killer, WoW it self.

I agree with the rest... I would even go as far as to say that the industry should never have started to try an copy "that game", but rather innovate and use the sudden influx of new players to the hobby to fuel new and varied products... sadly, they didn't, the quick cash was more appealing to them, I guess.

I, for one, will "go back" to WoW to take a look at the expansion - as always - but that never detracted be from other games I play before, and I doubt I will stay longer then a few months this time.... and I probably will have quit BDO long before that, if Daum doesn't how major signs of change.

Edited by WarBaby2

Posted

I think BDO came out at a great time when there really wasnt anything else promising coming out on the MMO market...but that said WoW is having another xpac it looks like late summer.  I'm a little worried that we are going to end up seeing a drop in players when that happens, really hope I am wrong about this :(

Seriously?

Posted

Sorry, but I stopped playing WoW back in 2006 and I haven't been back since.  I have bounced around several MMO titles and I will have to say that BDO is  a lot better than most of the current MMO's that are currently in release.  

For me IMO WoW, has a cartoon feel to it more so than I care to say about it.  

I will tip my hat to WoW for being the "gold" standard for most MMO's for over 10 years that every MMO has tried to emulate.  EvE Online is another sandbox MMO that has been around now for 10+ years as well.  Both WoW and EvE Online have a strong and loyal following of players as well as any of the MMO's that are out there right now.  

Respectfully, you will have those players that will hate on the same said games as well for various reasons.  To each their own, but, you will find players that will hate on a game (or any game for that fact) because it doesn't meet their expectations in one form or another.

I have to agree with WarBaby2 on the fact that you will have players that will hop between MMO's between expansions of their favorite game(s) because of one reason or another.  I will admit to doing that with a few MMO's as well. 

Just take what you read and view with a gain of salt and make your own judgement(s) about any MMO title that is out there today.

Cheers!

Good post... One issue with the whole WoW Xpac thing is... Usually when said player get' bored like usual quickly after yet another wow xpac.. they A. either continue to casually play wow for social reason's etc.. or even some pvp. However you also have the player's who like you said jump to the next new thing... Problem is many of them are either stuck to the wow way, and expect the next mmo to be a better wow or they just troll, and linger giving no F's until the next wow xpac. Of course this isn't the case for everyone.

It's just that I feel by now people would move on. Heck I thought that at least 3-4 years ago, but every year goes by, and it doesn't die lol... Then maybe Blizz would show interest in creating their next MMO. They apparently scrapped the work in progress for their next MMO several years back, and used some of it for some of the other game's.

From memory most if not all of the original Dev. team from WoW vanilla is long gone.

Also Blizzard is no longer the same studio. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision_Blizzard

They are have merged with Activision back in 2007. Activision Blizzard joined the S&P 500 on August 28, 2015, becoming one of only three companies on the list related to gaming, alongside Microsoft and Electronic Arts.

Activision Blizzard announced on November 2, 2015 that it would acquire social gaming company King, creator of the popular casual game Candy Crush Saga, for $5.9 billion. This deal was completed on February 23, 2016

E-sport's seem to be one of their main focus point's at this time. (Starcraft is still very big esp. in E-sport's.)

I'm probably wrong since a lot of studio's appear to waiting for the NEW API's before possibly considering another MMO.

Posted

Without a doubt, there will be a large drop off of players on BDO when Legion drops. This is inevitable. WoW is still the most popular and one of the best MMOs out there. 

I believe BDO is an amazing game (besides gender lock, the terrible gear options, looks, and customization) but WoW is WoW and in the end most people playing this game have played WoW and will probably try out Legion. I know myself and my friends who play this game will be trying out Legion. That doesn't mean we will stick with it because I'm sure, like the past few expansions, it will be worth a couple months of playing but thats it. Then I'll return to BDO unless something newer or better drops.

Disagree. The players playing BDO extensively are not the type looking to go back to a theme park style game. The audience we have here is the audience we have, and hopefully it grows. But there is no danger of "WoW hurting the game."

Posted

I think BDO came out at a great time when there really wasnt anything else promising coming out on the MMO market...but that said WoW is having another xpac it looks like late summer.  I'm a little worried that we are going to end up seeing a drop in players when that happens, really hope I am wrong about this :(

Well i think ill go back to legion when it launches. But depends how fast BDO releases content, so right now BDO does not offer much, especially at end game. I at fun at BDO launch but i am getting a bit burnt out from the game.

I been jumping between lots of MMOs during my wow break and so far DBO has kept me here the longest but i don't know how long it will last.  I was very disappointed about no ninja/kunoichi at launch, since i love playing rogue type classes, i don't know how long ill stay here for. even if they release ninja later it might be too late since i don't like to wait and the excitement from this game at launch has faded

Posted

Maybe is a loss of copies sold by blizzard...