• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Gear looks and progression will drive off many players

462 posts in this topic

Posted

First let me say, this is the best MMO I've played since Vanilla WoW. It is an amazing game with many amazing features.

Now, having said that, my biggest worry about longevity of this game (besides legion release) is the gear looks and progression. One of the most important parts, or the most important part, of any MMO is gear progression. This game doesn't give you any excitement when it comes to gear. You get your set and level it up the entire time you play. There is no real sense of progression.

The worst part of the gear problem though is the looks of it. This game has amazing graphics but the gear is terrible. Everyone looks like poor hobos. My lvl 10 self looks the same as my lvl 48 self and that is very depressing. I know they need to make money off armor skins but more people will continue to Play game if In-game armor looked decent, and people would still buy the skins if they looked good.

They need to upgrade all armor skins and work on adding a large amount of gear to the game to make people feel like their characters are unique and to give that feeling of progression. Because as it stand we are all just a bunch of poor hobos with the same crappy gear on.

I may not like it either but that is where their costume selling point comes in.

Want to look different? Buy a costume!

Even though the game is in B2P for NA/EU(so we could actually get the game) it has quite a few F2P elements that you'll notice right away.

2 people like this

Posted

First let me say, this is the best MMO I've played since Vanilla WoW. It is an amazing game with many amazing features.

Now, having said that, my biggest worry about longevity of this game (besides legion release) is the gear looks and progression. One of the most important parts, or the most important part, of any MMO is gear progression. This game doesn't give you any excitement when it comes to gear. You get your set and level it up the entire time you play. There is no real sense of progression.

The worst part of the gear problem though is the looks of it. This game has amazing graphics but the gear is terrible. Everyone looks like poor hobos. My lvl 10 self looks the same as my lvl 48 self and that is very depressing. I know they need to make money off armor skins but more people will continue to Play game if In-game armor looked decent, and people would still buy the skins if they looked good.

They need to upgrade all armor skins and work on adding a large amount of gear to the game to make people feel like their characters are unique and to give that feeling of progression. Because as it stand we are all just a bunch of poor hobos with the same crappy gear on.

Agreed, it'll certainly drive paying numbers down.

1 person likes this

Posted

This is literally the poorest armor selection I've seen in any B2P, P2P or F2P mmo ever. It also severely limits the customization.

I made a dark elf who wears a short, frilly, girly, bright green dress. She looks ridiculous, the style of all 6 free armors I can obtain are 5/6 same model and remaining 6th is also a frilly girly bright green dress. My character will never look like what I want her to look like.

So you can't make an "evil looking" Ranger. You also can't make an old. Ranger or Valkyrie- your old lady will forever wear mini dresses and high heels. >.> You can't make a cutesy Sorc since all Sorceress wears is black. You can make Sorceress' ears look elfish, but you can't dress her as an elf.

This is really sucking the enjoyment out of this game for me. I love customization and this game was advertised with it's amazing CC, but it turns out to be severely limited. I could make a more unique character in Blade and Soul, or 4 Story for that matter!

9 people like this

Posted

Customization is pretty shit when it comes to armor.  Thats probably why they charge 30 bucks for an outfit.

Posted (edited)

Customization is pretty shit when it comes to armor.  Thats probably why they charge 30 bucks for an outfit.

No, they do because they fear 15-20 dollars per permanent costume will not be enough to sustain them and make some profit. Also, many other Western games have expansion packs which cost a chunk of money. I'm pretty sure they said it themselves in the recent interview, but I don't remember remember exactly.

Also, in KR, the ability to sell items on the market, so it encourages even more people to buy from the pearl store there. Daum doesn't get that money from NA/EU.

Edited by Cider
2 people like this

Posted

All I can say is if you want to look different buy a costume. Although unfortunately the costume selection vs the selection in KR sux

1 person likes this

Posted

Yeah lack of armor variation, and locking the dye system for the most part behind the cash shop is terrible.

This topic is done to death, prepare for gif storm, idgaf anymore it's just getting stupid at this point there are like 1645674515965446 other threads discussing gear looks etc. Search function is effing lonely now-a-days. 

Go home Tumblr you're drunk.

BDO outfits.png

38 people like this

Posted

But i like my witch armor

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I may not like it either but that is where their costume selling point comes in.

Want to look different? Buy a costume!

Even though the game is in B2P for NA/EU(so we could actually get the game) it has quite a few F2P elements that you'll notice right away.

The problem is, there isn't even that many current costumes to choose from so even if you pay you end up looking like 20% of the players anyway

I personally don't really care what I look like, it's the least issue I have with the game although I wish the stats were removed from the costumes to level the playing field, however I can completely understand why people are so disappointed with the visual customisation in the game and I do agree it is rather lacking.

The Dye system further hinders any players attempt at trying to look unique but hopefully that's something that will get addressed in the not too distant future.

I'd much rather instead of getting a few extra hairstyles and default templates (neither of which I found worth the $30) we got better customisation in terms of gear looks for our $30 because let's be honest how many times do you zoom in on a player to look at their face and hair ? Compared to seeing a person armour from a distance ?

I mean it's supposed to be an MMORPG and it seems a lot of people have forgotten the RP part in all this which includes character customisation so I fully understand why to some players it's an important facet of their gameplay and how a character is an extension of their self and I do not believe putting it behind a paywall is the correct business strategy in order to encourage customers to spend more money because it has the opposite effect when people feel coerced into spending their money. They could easily give us a huge array of gear looks and still keep a cash shop of exclusive variations of the same gear and people would still buy from the cash shop for those exclusive looks but everybody else wouldn't be left feeling bitter and resentful because they would have choices too.

Edited by ArgleBargle
6 people like this

Posted

Made an old Valkyrie to show how ridiculous the style-lock is.

What your character looks like:

2016-03-20_705387762_zpskgwofljf.png

What your character wears:

2016-03-20_705469562_zpsts1afypb.png

2016-03-20_705540312_zpsk2faejvy.png2016-03-20_705923564_zps1wnng1o4.png2016-03-20_706110265_zpser5fkbag.png2016-03-20_705876031_zpsugyb7pio.png

Granny doesn't approve.

2016-03-20_706221816_zps7og7vqis.png

24 people like this

Posted

i think you should go play ffxiv. It has tokens for gear, you can rn the same dungeons/raid for gear. And hey, its mostly based off glamours. 

Posted

Not sure if granny would approve fighting in any sort of costume might as well make her angry so she forgets about her aching bones 

Posted

I'm not sure the crappy in-game armors and expensive cash shop viable alternatives will "drive me away", exactly...but it does certainly curb my spending. I can't help but feel duped that I "have" to spend $30 to get my character to look remotely decent. That doesn't make me want to make impulse purchases; I'll level my Witch in her beanbag and cope, but I'll do so with the mindset that I shouldn't get too invested in this game currently, as the cash shop currently isn't giving me as a player a very good value for my money.

I'm just one individual, but I guess if enough people think like me the prices will change. (Doubt it, though. Seen enough people succumb to the prices because they're just too attached to their character to leave them looking like the village drunk.)

6 people like this

Posted

Yeah lack of armor variation, and locking the dye system for the most part behind the cash shop is terrible.

BDO outfits.png

sounds about right

1 person likes this

Posted

It's kinda funny because after running around in my conq costume awhile I've started turning it off and letting my pleb armor show instead.

4 people like this

Posted

BDO outfits.png

I googled "a group of hobos" and I got a pic of a nude man in the first search result...

1 person likes this

Posted

This game isn't as good as vanilla wow. That aside, the elitists are going to feel lonely in a few months with their $30 costumes and no one to show it off to. ArcheAge 2.0 unfortunately.

2 people like this

Posted

I'm sorry but Daum can't do nothing about it because Pearl Abyss is the one who codes.

Posted

Not sure if granny would approve fighting in any sort of costume might as well make her angry so she forgets about her aching bones 

If grandpa Wizard can fight, why can't granny Valkyrie? <.<

Posted

if they gender locked the class so they can avoid the work for  the counter part male/female of it

they may as well not put an effort in working on the armor skins as well

Posted (edited)

I can say that I personally bet I'll get bored pretty quickly without a wider variety of gear appearances. I'm a type that loves to play with appearance sets and dyes. That's what brought me to BDO based on the great detail in the character creation. I feels like a bait and switch as the gear customizing doesn't even reach the bottom of the scale compared to the character customization. I don't even mind cash shop costumes that much so long as there are plenty of them and the price is reasonable, but BDO so far is lacking on both accounts. And to add salt to the wound, dyes are ridiculously expensive (given the rng).  And yeah, I also enjoy getting an interesting variety of loot drops rather than just the same items to consume as part of upgrading.

For now, I've been playing to enjoy the things I do like about the game. In time though I suspect the issues above will cause me to lose interest.

Edit: The dye system at least has a fix available. Put in that pallet item thing as a rental that allows using all colors. Heck, I'd probably pay almost $10/month just for that capability.

Edited by kpk02

Posted

Then buy costumes, problem solved.

/thread

Posted

Then buy costumes, problem solved.

/thread

They're over 100 freaking złoty.

I ain't spending a 3 number amount of money on pixels. >.> Normal clothes are worth less.

7 people like this

Posted

It doesn't drive me away personally, but it is pretty disappointing.