• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Horse Taming: Basics, Mechanics, and Notes.

40 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Basically this guide is for all the newbies out there who have watched youtube videos on taming and still don't get it. 

This guide also explains how to buy equipment for your horses. I've watched a lot of youtube videos on this stuff but there are things I don't feel are made clear enough, and will be covered in this guide.

1. Prerequisite

The Taming tutorial states you need to be level 20 to tame a horse. This is not true. The only thing required for your character to tame a horse is level 5 in taming (Training, as it is called in game.) This can be achieved by riding a Donkey or a Horse and leveling it up. You will get your first donkey if you continue to follow the black spirit's quests.

2. Items needed

First off, you'll want a Capturing rope. Capturing ropes sell for 1,500 silver at the Stable Keeper. If you're a new tamer I suggest you buy 5-10 of these. (10 taming ropes will cost you 15,000 silver)

Second, you'll want lumps of sugar.Pour some sugar on me  To get sugar you'll want to go a Tavern Owner, you'll find these in all major towns and cities. 

To make Sugar lumps you'll want 10 Raw Sugar and 1 Mineral Water can be normal water too To turn these into Sugar Lumps you'll hit "L" and bring up the processing interface.There will be a few selections at the bottom of the window, you want to click on the one that looks like a little flame, it should say "Heating" You then should be able to select the water and raw sugar from your inventory, select them and click start. This should yeild you 3-4 sugar lumps. You want at least 4 sugar lumps to tame with. 

(Raw Sugar itself costs around 200 silver, so at minimum you'll be spending 3,530 silver on taming the horse. You will want more then 4 lumps of sugar, and more then one taming rope though, as there is no guarantee the horse will tame on the first try.)

3. Finding a horse to tame!

This is probably the most important part, and the most annoying. BDOTome has a wonderful map that pinpoints horse spawn locations. It can be found here: http://www.blackdeserttome.com/map/

4. Taming the horse (Finally)

Once you've found your future equine companion you'll want to sneak up on it, if you get too close the horse spooks and will run away. (Not far)

You'll take your capture rope and use it, the game will prompt you to use your left mouse button. 

Aim at the horse and click, once you do so a meter will show up. You'll want to hit spacebar when the meter is within the red zone. If you succeed, the tame is on!

You'll notice a prompt for you to hit space as soon as the taming process starts, I can not stress this enough, Do. Not. Hit. Space. 

You want to walk toward the horse, hold W until you see the horse start rearing Once the horse's front hooves have left the ground then you spam space. There will be a popup showing another meter, under the meter is a small time. You spam spacebar until the timer runs out. 

Once you've gotten past that and the horse is calm again whisper softly to your screen for the horse to stay calm  Continue moving forward until you're close enough to the horse to see the available actions circle pop up. 

Open your inventory (If you haven't put the sugar lumps on your hotbar) and feed four sugar lumps to the horse. You can feed it more but its better to have the horse kick you in the face only feeding it four, rather then feeding it all 17 and having it kick you anyways. Horses will kick you in the face. Which is why you need more than 4 sugar lumps, and more than 1 Capture rope. 

5. Registering your new mount!

So its likely you brought your donkey along, or horse for the more advanced horse whisperer to be. What do you do with it? D:

Well that's simple. Dismount your new tamed friend and climb back up on your horse/donkey. Fresh tamed horses will auto path to you, no matter how far away you may be. They will teleport to you if you get too far away from them, and move at a steady trot. 

Buying Equipment for your equine companion.

(I'm not going to lie I totally forgot about this when I wrote this post! :'D)

Why do you need equipment? Well for starters have you ever tried to ride a galloping, or.. trotting horse bareback? Much Less hitting things/ shooting things while moving. For mounted combat you need two things. 

You need your horse, I don't think Donkeys cut it, sorry. :(

And you need Stirrups.

Horse equipment can be bought from almost any stable keeper who has a shop, I prefer using the one in Velia because it's easy to obtain enough knowledge to play the Amnity game, A.K.A Conversing with the NPC.

(Here is where I get lazy) 

This should help you understand the Amity game, and how to earn it. <3

Once you get 100 Amity you can purchase stirrups, a saddle, or horseshoes. Every time you buy something your Amity is subtracted by the amount required in the shop.

If I have 105 Amity and purchase a saddle I have 5 left over.

If you have any questions, or anything else that may be added to this guide feel free to PM me, or post below. 

Notes 

As stated above, fresh tamed horses will follow you around, teleporting to your location if you get too far ahead! I've tested this personally.

The Taming skill (Training in game) can be leveled up also by catching and registering horses. 

Leveling two horses up to level 20 for breeding yields a possibility of the horse being 1 tier above, while leveling both horses up to 30 gives the chance to have the baby 2 tiers above it's parents. 

It is possible to tell the teir of horses before you tame them, for instance a wild teir 5 horse is black. You can look at horses on the market and check their teirs, note what they look like and find horses that look like that in the wild will be the same teir in the market place. This does not include rare coat horses, which I believe are bread and look unique to anything in the wild. 

Now since we no longer find T5's in the wild you can usually tell if you're getting a T1 horse by its dull brown or grey coat, while T2 horses have a more vibrant almost rust colored coat and a darker mane and tail.

There. Are. No. Unicorns.

It is recommended to level horses up to level 30 before you breed them, as it has the highest chance to get a higher teir horse out of breeding. 

There is an auction house specifically for horses at most stables in towns and cities. If selling a horse it will remain in your stables until purchased by another player. 

When the game launches i'll be adding screen caps to this guide to further help people who are confused.

Edited by Skipling
22 people like this

Posted

Welp, thanks to you I figured out what I was doing wrong haha! I had the tendency to just mash away at the spacebar after the first part. Definitely +1

Thanks Skipling!

1 person likes this

Posted

Welp, thanks to you I figured out what I was doing wrong haha! I had the tendency to just mash away at the spacebar after the first part. Definitely +1

Thanks Skipling!

Hah, believe me I did that my first few tries too. ;u; had to go back and rewatch all those taming videos and all that jazz before I figured it out. I'm glad I could help ^_^

Posted

Great post!  Is there a way to see what tier they are before you tame them?  And do you know if there is a max on tier for wild ones that is lower than breeding?

Posted

One question, are there unicorns?xD

Posted

Great post!  Is there a way to see what tier they are before you tame them?  And do you know if there is a max on tier for wild ones that is lower than breeding?

Generally you can tell the horse Teir by how it looks in the wild, coat color ect. Black horses are T5, grey horses are usually T3 ect. You can look them up on the market and see how they look (aside from rare coats) and note that while taming in the wild. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Not that I know of.

Posted

Not that I know of.

No, there are not.

Posted (edited)

How important is it to level the horse you plan to breed with another to get a higher tier? I read it´s random, you can breed a t5 and a t5 and get a t5 or t4. The higher the level the higher the chance to get the higher tier? And to copy most of the skills onto the newborn horse as well? Is that it?

So if you breed horses without leveling and get to t8 eventually the worst thing can happen is your mount isn´t able to perform any skills like breaking/jumping?
Oh and one more thing: There´s this horse flute in 50/100 packages. Haven´t seen this anywhere in CBT1 is it exclusive to those packs?

Edited by RainbowRat

Posted

Generally you can tell the horse Teir by how it looks in the wild, coat color ect. Black horses are T5, grey horses are usually T3 ect. You can look them up on the market and see how they look (aside from rare coats) and note that while taming in the wild. 

Thanks!

Posted

Hey, thanks for the guide that will be useful.

I have a question regarding mounted combat. I know that we have to buy or craft a stirrup but is it the only requirement? Is it available in the west localization? And what is the price of the stirrup at the stable?

Posted

How important is it to level the horse you plan to breed with another to get a higher tier? I read it´s random, you can breed a t5 and a t5 and get a t5 or t4. The higher the level the higher the chance to get the higher tier? And to copy most of the skills onto the newborn horse as well? Is that it?

So if you breed horses without leveling and get to t8 eventually the worst thing can happen is your mount isn´t able to perform any skills like breaking/jumping?
Oh and one more thing: There´s this horse flute in 50/100 packages. Haven´t seen this anywhere in CBT1 is it exclusive to those packs?

Horses should be At Least level 10 before you breed them, anything below that has a chance to yeild a teir below the original two horses. 

Level 10 has a chance to yeild 1 tier above the horses you're breeding. 

Level 30 (Highly recommended.) has a chance to yield a horse that is 1-3 teirs above the horses you're breeding. 

Currently I have no idea on on mixed teir breeding, your best bet would be level 30 as it stands. 

Posted

Hey, thanks for the guide that will be useful.

I have a question regarding mounted combat. I know that we have to buy or craft a stirrup but is it the only requirement? Is it available in the west localization? And what is the price of the stirrup at the stable?

Stirrups are the only requirement for mounted combat, and yes it is available for western localization, I did a lot of mounted grinding in CBT1. 

At the moment i'm not sure how expensive stirrups themselves are, though I believe they are a little more/less expensive then buying a teir one horse coupon, which is 15k silver at a stable hand. You also have to play a minigame with the stable keeper and increase "Amnity" before you can buy ANY kind of tack for your horse. There is another guide on the forums here, I believe, that tells you how to go about that, I highly suggest you check it out. :)

1 person likes this

Posted

Can you sell the horses you catch ?

Posted

Can you sell the horses you catch ?

Yes :) There is a horse market, which you can access in stables. 

Keep in mind that the price will be preset, like it happens in AH.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thank you so much for this guide, it's great!!  Bookmarked and ready to give it a go once I'm able to get in game. 10/10

1 person likes this

Posted

wish there was a unicorn or kelpie avalaible through the completion of the 100 floor dungeon ;o;

Posted

Thanks for the guide! I was wondering on how this worked ^_^

Posted

Bumping this up, for people asking questions about horses :)

1 person likes this

Posted

Thank you I needed that.

1 person likes this

Posted

Just a quick question: does the amount of lumps of sugar you feed matter? Does it increase your chance for successfully taming? On the CBT, I tamed a horse feeding it only one lump, but it bucked me off once before that after feeding one lump.

So, does your chance of successfully mounting it increase as you feed more lumps?

Thanks for the help!

1 person likes this

Posted

Just a quick question: does the amount of lumps of sugar you feed matter? Does it increase your chance for successfully taming? On the CBT, I tamed a horse feeding it only one lump, but it bucked me off once before that after feeding one lump.

So, does your chance of successfully mounting it increase as you feed more lumps?

Thanks for the help!

Generally its best to feed them 4, I believe that bumps it up as much as possible. Again, feeding them any more then that is a waste. I've had a horse tamed on no lumps and one that wouldn't tame after 16. Its RGN really.

Posted

i've got the conqueror pac and as you know i've got a horse tier 5 + the flute..

im still a beginner and i was wondering the functionality of the flute and how does it work?

many thanks

MrJoe, Jordine

Posted

i've got the conqueror pac and as you know i've got a horse tier 5 + the flute..

im still a beginner and i was wondering the functionality of the flute and how does it work?

many thanks

MrJoe, Jordine

The flute basically makes it so you can call your horse from long distances, I haven't tested the distance out myself but it seems to be much further than the vanilla whistle. 

Hope this helps :)

Posted

I had watched several videos, read some other guides, lvld my training to apprentice5 and wasted about 50 ropes and still no luck. I feel like an idiot now, first try after reading this walk-through and it was almost to easy. Thank you