• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Finally found a way to disable the horrible forced Sharpness Filter (and other Post Processing Effects)

178 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

After playing around with various injectors and such to get rid of the Sharpness filter that really bothered me i finally found a way with a simple ini edit i never even thought it would be that simple, note this will get rid of some other post processing effects as well most noticeably the Screen Filter and the Photo Filters so if you use those i wouldn't recommend doing this.

( there is always Reshade for that, for example here is a Reshade Sweetfx preset i made:  http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/53082-finally-found-a-way-to-disable-the-horrible-forced-sharpness-filter-and-other-post-processing-effects/&do=findComment&comment=924296)

First edit the GameOption.txt in your \Documents\Black Desert folder

change postFilter to 0

next go in to the usercache folder there should be another folder with a number it's 52612 for me i think it's related to the server you play on so it can be different.

there is file named gameVariable.xml in there, change the PostFilter setting here as well

Note if you ever toggle the Screen Filter setting you have to repeat those steps since it defaults this setting to 1

For best results use a high resolution or downsample and disable the ingame FXAA Antialiasing since it's blur will look a bit stronger without the sharpening Filter (maybe that doesn't bother you though the softer look does make distant LOD and vegetation a bit more pleasant looking)  you could also use SMAA from Reshade or something similar but it will affect the UI as well,driver forced MSAA doesn't work with this game at all.

Edit: Comparison Pics in this post: http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/53082-finally-found-a-way-to-disable-the-horrible-forced-sharpness-filter-and-other-post-processing-effects/&do=findComment&comment=749690

Here is a 4k shot with Reshade and the settings applied:

TviQI.png

Edited by Asmodeus
29 people like this

Posted

I wish there was an option to do this from the IG settings.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I wish there was an option to do this from the IG settings.

Well it's at least something and it makes the image very clean looking now while downsampling for me since the sharpness filter exaggerated jaggies.

Edited by Asmodeus

Posted

Well it's at least something and it makes the image very clean looking now while downsampling for me since the sharpness filter exaggerated jaggies.

What is the impact on performance? Do you know?

Also, you said this messed with other settings, is screen filter and photo effect the only ones that get messed up?

Cheers mate, and thanks for doing this, nice finding, the second screenshot looks much better. Honestly I'm playing in 1440p with antialiasing and I don't really notice the sharp edges as much so I don't know if it would really benefit me.

Posted (edited)

What is the impact on performance? Do you know?

Also, you said this messed with other settings, is screen filter and photo effect the only ones that get messed up?

Cheers mate, and thanks for doing this, nice finding, the second screenshot looks much better. Honestly I'm playing in 1440p with antialiasing and I don't really notice the sharp edges as much so I don't know if it would really benefit me.

It should actually improve the performance if anything since it removes effects but i didn't really notice it maybe 1 or 2 fps more this also disables the HDR effect when panning down the camera i think, i remember people complaining about it a while ago.

You can always use Reshade instead of the Photo Filters if you want some post processing effects.

Edited by Asmodeus

Posted

Wonder exactly everything this is doing, because I noticed a bush in the 1st pic thats not there in the second (in the road).

Posted (edited)

Wonder exactly everything this is doing, because I noticed a bush in the 1st pic thats not there in the second (in the road).

That's a monster one of those bugs near Olvia^^

Edited by Asmodeus

Posted (edited)

nm///

Edited by Dazlin

Posted (edited)

The ingame FXAA still works btw if you like that.

Edited by Asmodeus

Posted

I can never get a picture like that, every time I turn the camera to face my front, everything gets dark as hell. 

Posted

Good find, i'll test this when i'm home.

Posted (edited)

I can never get a picture like that, every time I turn the camera to face my front, everything gets dark as hell. 

That's the HDR effect i was talking about above this fix should disable that as well since it's also a post processing effect (Didn't have time to verify it though).

Edited by Asmodeus

Posted

After playing around with various injectors and such to get rid of the Sharpness filter that really bothered me i finally found a way with a simple ini edit i didn't even think it would be that simple, note this will get rid of some other post processing effects as well most noticeably the Screen Filter and the Photo Filters so if you use those i wouldn't recommend doing this.

First edit the GameOption.txt in your \Documents\Black Desert folder

change postFilter to 0

next go in to the usercache folder there should be another folder with a number it's 52612 for me i think it's related to the server you play on so it can be different.

there is file named gameVariable.xml in there change the PostFilter setting there as well

Note if you ever toggle the Screen Filter setting you have to repeat those steps since it defaults this setting to 1

Some Screens (i made them in 1080p without AA to make it more visible)

Sharpness On:

L9n0r6A.jpg

Sharpness Off:

bQ2QTQr.jpg

I don't see a Diffrence between the two -what is he Supposed to have done?

Posted (edited)

I don't see a Diffrence between the two -what is he Supposed to have done?

It's really hard to notice on scaled down images make them fullscreen and look at them side by side or try it ingame.

I should have probably saved the images as png as well...

The Difference is pretty big ingame since the Shimmering of the Distant Trees and Landscape is way less pronounced, everything looks very clean and the jaggies are gone as well.

Edited by Asmodeus

Posted

Nice job man. About to use it. :D

Posted (edited)

It's really hard to notice on scaled down images make them fullscreen and look at them side by side or try it ingame.

I should have probably saved the images as png as well...

The Difference is pretty big ingame since the Shimmering of the Distant Trees and Landscape is way less pronounced, everything looks very clean and the jaggies are gone as well.

Okay, well as long as it works for you is the main thing 🙂

I would have said turn down the textures - but that had the opposite effect for me -at lest on the dirt paths.

Edited by Lasarith

Posted (edited)

Okay, well as long as it works for you is the main thing 🙂

Yeah it works

Sharpness Filters are just something you either like or don't so calling it horrible in the title was maybe a bit much it looks horrible to me and others may even like it, here  is a gif from Witcher to demonstrate the effect;

kq5mybZ.gif

Edited by Asmodeus
1 person likes this

Posted

Turned if off, and now things looks better, fooliage looks more "natural" now instead a bunch of sharp knifes growing from earth lol (also the HDR, ugh i hate it, and even more when games forces you to have it , normally its more annoying than helpful).

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Turned if off, and now things looks better, fooliage looks more "natural" now instead a bunch of sharp knifes growing from earth lol (also the HDR, ugh i hate it, and even more when games forces you to have it , normally its more annoying than helpful).

Yes and as i said ppl can always use Reshade to add their own Post Processing Effects if they are missing one of them.

Edited by Asmodeus

Posted

Well I got to say I really thank you for this sir. I actually think that the game looks a lot better this way. Graphics are a lot smother for me and it does give you a couple of FPS. Thanks again OP, you the man!!!

Posted (edited)

Seems to work perfect for me...but I can't manage to get SweetFX to work.

Blehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Red lights are SO strong in this game just let me tone it down a bit!!!

Edited by Edgelorde

Posted

Wow, thank you!  I'm excited to try this when I get home!

Posted

OH MY GOD IT GETS RID OF THE STRONG ASS VIGNETTE ALSO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS OP!!!! HERES YOUR REWARD

PAHp3xs.jpg

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Seems to work perfect for me...but I can't manage to get SweetFX to work.

Blehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Red lights are SO strong in this game just let me tone it down a bit!!!

Game is 64 bit (If you are using a 64 bit OS ofc) and dx11 the old sweetfx won't work with it  use reshade: http://reshade.me/

There is a version with sweetfx if you scroll down it's very light on performance.

Edited by Asmodeus

Posted

Game is 64 bit (If you are using a 64 bit OS ofc) and dx11 the old sweetfx won't work with it  use reshade: http://reshade.me/

There is a version with sweetfx if you scroll down it's very light on performance.

Is anybody here using reshade with BDO? Does it really improve the look of the game?