• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Buying a new PC - Need advice.

51 posts in this topic

Posted

I can't speak from personal experience, but you can find benchmarks online with 970 and 390 setups:

Here's a benchmark for the 970: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXSGZ7BXEpM

It is true the R9 390 does consume more power and needs a larger power supply. Personally, I would choose the 390 for the 8GB of VRAM, but if a 650-750 watt PSU is out of your price range, or electricity is expensive where you live, by all means choose the GTX 970 instead.

Honestly both are fantastic GPUs and you can't really go wrong with either one.

Unless you plan on playing 2k/4K, you do not need more than 4GB VRAM. 4GB is even good enough for some games in 2K.

Posted

Ultra mode is turned off in the video, so the title of the video is misleading. There is a significant difference both visual and performance wise.

My bad, I didn't realize watching the video. I'll fix my response.

Posted

The benefits for gaming Skylake has over Haswell is minimal, ie unnoticeable at this current time. Maybe in the future with DDR4 RAM actually has it's uses but for now if you aren't worried about future proofing and lets be honest, it's completely pointless to do so anyway. I'd suggest going with a moderate Z97 Motherboard, an i5-4690/K, 8-16GB Ram, speed doesn't matter, 1600mhz is fine. GPU depending on what resolution you wish to play, for 1080p I'd suggest either a GTX 970 or an R9 380, if you wish to play higher resolutions such as 1440p I'd go with the 980Ti or Fury. 4k You'd need a dual card system as no single card is really up to par for 4k resolutions at the moment. An SSD over a HDD is recommended as installing your OS on it dramatically decreases loading times,

Posted

Thanks for the replies & suggestions.

I won't upgrade my notebook. The only problem is that I have to build my PC from the scratch (e.g. case, monitor, power supply unit etc.), which leads to a higher initial cost, but upgrading to a new hardware is much cheaper and easier to do than on a notebook. I'll also buy a SSD for better loading speed.

As someone have mentioned already, MMOs tend to be CPU dependent. I always have fps problems with games like GW2 or ESO because they use only 1 CPU-core efficiently, while my graphics card is literally doing nothing (i7-CPU, but only 3ghz@turbo). However, the i5-6600k seems to be fast enough for BDO. I think I'll choose the i5-6600k over an i7-6700k.

The reason why I chose a Nvidia/Intel over an AMD setup is because of the power consumption. The GTX 970 would be a viable option and does perform well in general, but it bugs me somehow, that it has only 3.5GB VRAM instead of 4GB. Does anyone have noticed micro-stuttering/sudden fps drops with the GTX 970 ingame @ 1080p?

The R9 390 would be a considerable option, since it has 8GB and also performs well. The power consumption me a slight headache though^^ It would be nice if someone could share some data about BDO with a R9 390.

To answer your question, I didn't experience any stuttering with my gtx 970, however I do experience lower FPS in very crowded cities, I doubt any cpu/gpu can get you rid of that. Also you'll have to upgrade your drivers often, I had the surprise of suddenly having a constant fps drops to 30-40 fps from 60+, due to the fact that nvidia drivers weren't optimized for the game, and other players have said that downgrading to an older version works too.

In regards to the ADM, the R9 390 is an amazing graphic card but from what I've read before deciding to go with I7 and GTX build, AMD parts tend to overheat faster so you might need a good cooling system. That's just my opinion tho.

Posted

If a game continuously streams in assets, SSD can impact ingame performance. I had sporadic stuttering when playing with a mechanical harddrive which disappeared when I moved the game over to my SSD.

It doesn't make sense, with low ping, you only get delays which actually should improve your FPS because things in game are loading slower therefore there isn't too much load on your card. Unlike when you have a fast connection everything load faster like monsters, structure etc. Unless you had a damaged hdd you shouldn't see any improvement by any means I tested it myself just to be clear. 

Posted

It doesn't make sense, with low ping, you only get delays which actually should improve your FPS because things in game are loading slower therefore there isn't too much load on your card. Unlike when you have a fast connection everything load faster like monsters, structure etc. Unless you had a damaged hdd you shouldn't see any improvement by any means I tested it myself just to be clear. 

Mobs etc. are not streamed from Servers, so Ping will not impact FPS or loading speed. What the Client gets from the Server is information where a mob stands and what mob it is. The actual mob is loaded from your local storage (game files), so faster storage (SSD over HDD) will decrease loading times and make the game faster.

However, you must also have a fast enough Graphic Card.

Posted

Hello there!

Sorry that I'm posting this in the general discussion forum, but it seems that there's no technical discussion section yet.

I've watched many BDO gameplay videos and it looks like I need to buy a new PC. I haven't played BDO before, so I hope you can help me out.

The game should run on 60fps most of the time (1080p; medium/high settings), which is very important because I think that the fps drops down in crowded places or huge battles. Currently, I'm planning a configuration like this:

i7-6700k, GTX 960, 16GB RAM

Maybe someone can tell me if BDO is more CPU or GPU demanding? I could swap the CPU out for a cheaper one and get a better graphics card instead.

The second option would be to upgrade my notebook with an i7-2960XM + GTX 780M, but I don't know, if that's enough for huge fights or crowded places. They're also very expensive and it would cost slightly more than desktop pc components.

What do you think? I'd also like to hear about your PC and your experiences.

Processor:

Intel I7 6700(Skylake), and I7 4690(Haswell) does not have a huge difference in power. The skylate has around 6% better than the Haswell.

Also Skylake using 1151 and Haswell uses 1150 for the socket motherboard. Skylake isn't backward compatable to the 1150. This where things get choppy here.

If you wish to use Skylake on the 6th generation of Intel I would advise to plan this out carefully. The new generation using DDR4 only but intel claims they can be DDR3 for a buget build but certainly not MIX depending on the motherboard you are using. Very rarely they will mix the two. If choosing Haswell, need find a compatible version to go with DDR4 memory since older Haswell model will not support DDR4. Haswell-E will support DDR4 but $550-$1,000...lol no way.

I will recommend Skylate for budget builds since their starting price is $350 while older generation are about the same.

Graphic card wise, I haven't done much research in that area. I have a friend that does the research on graphic card.

Reference:  I've done a lot of research & years of building experience.

1 person likes this

Posted

DDR4 memory is not the best choice for gaming though. Gamers still recommend DDR3.

Posted

DDR4 memory is not the best choice for gaming though. Gamers still recommend DDR3.

Because the price is higher, performance wise the increase is insignificant.  

Posted (edited)

I'd also recommend DDR4 for the 6th gen intel processors. As far as I know DDR3 is supported by a few motherboards on paper, but in practice it may cause malfunctions using with the New gen CPUs. The longevity is another reason.

I've found the article about the DDR3 issue: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/skylake-memory-support,30185.html

Edited by Szergely
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I will give you guys some info on DDR3 and DDR4.

DDR3 over DDR4 is the CAS(Column  Address Strobe) latency that clock cycle have to wait until the data is fully delivered. DDR4 latency are around 13-16 while DDR3 Latency are 9-10. Don't go thinking this is terrible, really really bad for me. It depend on how fast your Clock rate is.

"But, wait about about the 2400, 2133 and the PCx stuff."

Indeed that DDR4 2666 has higher clock rate than DDR3 1600 but that is the maximum theoretical transfer rate. They however are never reached. 

For example (Remember the figure are not exact but a way to show how it works)

DDR3 CL9 1600 (PC3 12800)  Real clock speed 800 take about clock period of 1.25 ns (CL9 =11.25ns)

DDR4 CL14 2400(PC4 19200) Real clock speed 1200 take about clock period of  .875 ns (CL15 =13.125ns)

DDR4 CL15 3200(PC4 25600) Real clock speed 1600 take about clock period of  .625 ns (CL15 = 9.375ns)

*Remember these figures are not exact!*

DDR3 is cheaper now but DDR4 will replace DDR3 in the long run.

Edited by Tiberium
2 people like this

Posted

Don't use DDR4, they are very expensive and doesn't give much advantage over DDR3. I built a few custom PC for Amazon, which used DDR4. I can say that it is a huge rip-off now (Motherboard and RAM is way more expensive than DDR3).

I suggest:

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3 - good performance, with no integrated GPU

GPU: MSI GTX 970 - performance well when overclocked, though fps will drop in crowded place. I'm will upgrade mine gtx 970 to 980 ti when I can get rid off 970.

RAM: DDR3, up to your choice. I prefer G.SKILL / Corsair

Motherboard: Xeon can't be overclocked, so you can save a bit of money on MB. Asus H97-PLUS will work fine. You can spend more for extra features/looks with other motherboard.

Storage: get an SSD for faster load time on. HDD for storage.

PSU: get 620W-750W for future upgrades.

Cooling: use all in one liquid cooler, so you can AFK all day long in game, but air cooler work just fine.

----

if you have more money to spend and want better performance, then get better CPU / MB with overclock capability.

2 people like this

Posted

DDR4 is only supported by Skylake so of course you'd reccomended it, you wouldn't use DDR3 for the new chipsets it'd be incompatible. DDR3 is still the best choice for gaming, it's cheaper and you don't need anything more than 1600mhz speed RAM because price to performance is negligible. 

Posted (edited)

Well while we are at it, what graphics card should I upgrade to with these specs thus far:

Processor: i7-4790K

Ram: Corsair vengeance 16.0 1600

Video Card: 750 Ti (I didn't have enough money and I should have used the money from downgrading to a i5 6600 and got a better GFX card)

Note: My budget is around 250

Im honestly going all out for this game. I miss playing the alpha. Just running around in the world was exhilarating and very fun. I get about 30 fps on high settings and I want to experience the game at full graphics when It finally comes out. :)

Edited by Sharp

Posted

Thanks but I'll stick to a Skylake Build, because the components cost about the same except for the DDR4 memories... they're a bit overpriced atm.

Currently, my build looks like this:

Case: Fractal Design Define S (noise dampening)
PSU: Enermax Platimax 600W
MB: Asus Z170-A
CPU: i5-6600k
GPU: GTX 970/R9 390 (still deciding)
RAM: Crucial DIMM Kit 16GB, DDR4-2133
HDD: SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD

It's certainly not the best build, but I think there's enough options for hardware upgrades in the future. I'm also thinking about Direct X12. It will support new features like multi-adapter-rendering. Personally, I hope that BDO gets DX12 support.

I'd also recommend DDR4 for the 6th gen intel processors. As far as I know DDR3 is supported by a few motherboards on paper, but in practice it may cause malfunctions using with the New gen CPUs. The longevity is another reason.

I've found the article about the DDR3 issue: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/skylake-memory-support,30185.html

Thanks for the link. That was very informative.

Well while we are at it, what graphics card should I upgrade to with these specs thus far:

Processor: i7-4790K

Ram: Corsair vengeance 16.0 1600

Video Card: 750 Ti (I didn't have enough money and I should have used the money from downgrading to a i5 6600 and got a better GFX card)

Note: My budget is around 250

Im honestly going all out for this game. I miss playing the alpha. Just running around in the world was exhilarating and very fun. I get about 30 fps on high settings and I want to experience the game at full graphics when It finally comes out. :)

For 60fps and 1080p I think it looks like this:

medium/high settings: GTX 960
high settings: GTX 970
max settings (ultra mode on): GTX 980 (Ti)

I never played this game before, so this is just based on what I've read here. Maybe a GTX 980 could also be sufficient to run BDO on max settings. You could buy the GTX 960, but pricewise the GTX 970 or R9 390 (~300 Euro/Dollar) isn't out of range.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks but I'll stick to a Skylake Build, because the components cost about the same except for the DDR4 memories... they're a bit overpriced atm.

Currently, my build looks like this:

It's certainly not the best build, but I think there's enough options for hardware upgrades in the future. I'm also thinking about Direct X12. It will support new features like multi-adapter-rendering. Personally, I hope that BDO gets DX12 support.

Thanks for the link. That was very informative.

For 60fps and 1080p I think it looks like this:

medium/high settings: GTX 960
high settings: GTX 970
max settings (ultra mode on): GTX 980 (Ti)

I never played this game before, so this is just based on what I've read here. Maybe a GTX 980 could also be sufficient to run BDO on max settings. You could buy the GTX 960, but pricewise the GTX 970 or R9 390 (~300 Euro/Dollar) isn't out of range.

I'd go for Nvidia. I've used AMD, but my next Card will definitely be Nvidia.

Posted

Definitely go for an i5 over an i7 then over clock it to 4GHz or more. Though don't bother with Skylake, just not worth it, performance difference is very very minimal.

I'd recommend a Superflower Leadex Gold 650w PSU,

And the 970 over AMD. A single standard 980 can probably easily run this at max at 60 FPS 1080p. It's not that hard of a game to run to be fair.

Also for a CPU cooler if you're going with a 970 you might as well just get an air cooler.

Posted

This build looks good so far, the Fractal Design is an amazing case. You still need to buy a cooler for that CPU, because Skylake's 'k' processors do not come with a stock cooler ( I wouldn't overclock with a stock cooler anyway tbh).

Since you have a 600w PSU I'd go with the 970. A 980 would probably be more stable on Ultra graphics but it's up to you if you wanna spend the extra money.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I'll probably just go for a 970 and overclock my CPU and get a liquid cooler.  With a 750 Ti I got around 20 fps on max settings and 40 on medium settings.  I just can't wait for this game :)

Edited by Sharp

Posted

Go here:

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Base BDO in the range of BF4 and/or Crysis 3.

Find out how much you can afford, and see what is available in that price range.  It will give you a general idea of how well the system should perform.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Hello there!

Sorry that I'm posting this in the general discussion forum, but it seems that there's no technical discussion section yet.

I've watched many BDO gameplay videos and it looks like I need to buy a new PC. I haven't played BDO before, so I hope you can help me out.

The game should run on 60fps most of the time (1080p; medium/high settings), which is very important because I think that the fps drops down in crowded places or huge battles. Currently, I'm planning a configuration like this:

Maybe someone can tell me if BDO is more CPU or GPU demanding? I could swap the CPU out for a cheaper one and get a better graphics card instead.

The second option would be to upgrade my notebook with an i7-2960XM + GTX 780M, but I don't know, if that's enough for huge fights or crowded places. They're also very expensive and it would cost slightly more than desktop pc components.

What do you think? I'd also like to hear about your PC and your experiences.

I've played BDO on the german servers with an i7-4790K and a GTX770oc'd  and it ran perfectly fine... but if you've got the money... and the need to upgrade, go all out on your GPU first.... then CPU and as always I never build without a minimum of 16 Gig ram (tho not always needed I never go below 16 gig of no less than 2400 ram.)

Edited by iBuilderLive
typo

Posted

CPU is overkill for your GPU tbh even tho BDO is very cPU heavy, if you spend alittle less on the CPU and try to get a 980 (or even 780 ti) you would have a better experience

Also make sure you get a nice SSD reads/writes maybe concider a NvMe drive as no point i having major CPU/GPU power with sub par storage MMO's love fast drive :P

Posted

I've played BDO on the german servers with an i7-4790K and a GTX770oc'd  and it ran perfectly fine... but if you've got the money... and the need to upgrade, go all out on your GPU first.... then CPU and as always I never build without a minimum of 16 Gig ram (tho not always needed I never go below 16 gig of no less than 2400 ram.)

16GB at 2400Mhz is pointless, only a couple games at the moment use anywhere near 8GB of RAM and those are games like GTA 5. 1600mhz will perform just as well as 2400Mhz RAM whilst gaming because the performance increase is so tiny you wouldn't know the difference. Save yourself some money, bigger numbers don't always mean better.

Posted

Thanks for the replies & suggestions.

The GTX 970 would be a viable option and does perform well in general, but it bugs me somehow, that it has only 3.5GB VRAM instead of 4GB. Does anyone have noticed micro-stuttering/sudden fps drops with the GTX 970 ingame @ 1080p?

Keep in mind, that when you are looking into graphics cards the largest blunder a lot of people make is just looking at the quantity of RAM.   Memory bandwidth and base clock speeds are what you should be looking at. 2 GB of GDDR5 easily beats the crap out of 4-6 GB of GDDR4, and .5 GB wont make much difference so 3.5 GB of GDDR5 is definitely sufficient, unless you are going for 4k or double, and triple screen capabilities. Additionally, you can easily find 970 makes that hit 4 GB I know most of the EVGAs do.

Hope this helps.

Posted

i say remove the 960 and make it a 970 I run max setting and 60fps with that card

here is some people build see one you like 

good advice on the GPU.  Drop the 960, to compensate for cost drop to 8gb ram add the gtx970.

and if you can get a decent mid ranged Solid State Drive.