• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Harpoon Fishing/Deep Sea

21 posts in this topic

Posted

I was playing around with the harpoon and was wondering if anyone knew if there were specific hotspots for harpoon fishing. The little fishing I have done hasnt seemed too effective compared to fishing in hotspots. I was also wondering if anyone knew where deep sea areas were. Above your mini map, if out in the ocean, theres an icon that will most of the time, if not all of the time say "shallow water". Im wondeirng if there are "Deep water/ocean" areas that might be better to harpoon fish in.

Posted

I'd also be interested in this.  The game does a very poor job of pointing one towards the areas that are viable for harpoon fishing.

Posted

I have to assume that the water depth marker is wrong but I have no clue either way, all I know is in the "shallow water" I was catching about 5% yellow, 30% green and 65% white fish out in what appeared to be open sea

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Go find 'em! They're out there :)

edit: I was deep-sea fishing today. Was tons of fun.

ZY64o1k.jpg

Edited by Sephina
1 person likes this

Posted

Harpooning is broken and unpredictable. I spent 30 minutes trying to catch 1 fish in a hotspot for FishingRods. Nothing , no catch , just perma waiting. 

However I got 1 fish worth  60k in a random spot after 30 minutes of catching only shit fish.

Harpooning is not worth it until they work on fishing a bit more...

Posted

Harpooning is broken and unpredictable. I spent 30 minutes trying to catch 1 fish in a hotspot for FishingRods. Nothing , no catch , just perma waiting. 

However I got 1 fish worth  60k in a random spot after 30 minutes of catching only shit fish.

Harpooning is not worth it until they work on fishing a bit more...

I have had no luck whatsoever although I know some have.  Is deep sea all RNG or does location matter beyond being out in the ocean?

Posted

I have had no luck whatsoever although I know some have.  Is deep sea all RNG or does location matter beyond being out in the ocean?

I was not so far away from the shore at Olivia's Coast between some rocky spot. I never got a large fish ever again :( .

Posted

Go find 'em! They're out there :)

edit: I was deep-sea fishing today. Was tons of fun.

ZY64o1k.jpg

So glad you caught stuff, I have had no luck but I'm glad you did!

Posted

Thanks Ali.

To the rest, Harpooning is not about the fiat value of the catches. It's about the actual catch itself, the materials you get off of it and what it can be used for. Whaling especially.

Posted

Thanks Ali.

To the rest, Harpooning is not about the fiat value of the catches. It's about the actual catch itself, the materials you get off of it and what it can be used for. Whaling especially.

What materials do you get and any hint where if location matters?  Here is my latest attempt at harpooning:

Flying fish

Flying fish

Surfperch

Surfperch

Flying fish

Surfperch

Surfperch

Flying fish

Flying fish

Surfperch

Flying fish

Surfperch

Surfperch

Flying fish

Surfperch

Flying fish

Flying fish

Flying fish

Flying fish

Surfperch

Flying fish

Flying fish

Surfperch

Flying fish

Surfperch

Flying fish

Surfperch

Surfperch

Surfperch

Nothing worth anything.  I'm not demanding yellows but just a hint of hope would be nice.

1 person likes this

Posted

ya i just got to pro 1 and started to test it out to see if it worth and what it was like.. i find the mini game kinda of cool but the results are like the above poster.. it doesnt seem to be worth at the moment 

Posted

I managed to catch a few Rays(green rarity) but other than that just Herring and Rosefish with harpoon

Posted

same here better off fishing with rods still atm till theres more info about it

Posted

The depth indicator must be wrong. For example I was on the NPC ferry near crons and while on the NPC ferry it noted that area was deep. I take my fishing boat there a few minutes later and its marked as shallow.

So I use the trick where you set the waypoint underneath yourself to get a read on depth. It was 100, and I hear 80+ is "deep". Got nothing worth my time, and the minigame is trash. That's my opinion of it anyway (^_^)

Posted

I tried my first harpoon, all shit fish and 1 blue fish (forgot name) worth 58k

Posted

did about three hours harpooning, caught one of only 7 hammer whales that have been caught on the EU servers and my friend caught a sperm whale so its doable just very hit and miss. the location i caught my whale was north of Orffs island in the deep water but i dont think it really matters where you go its just an rngfest til someone finds hotspots

1 person likes this

Posted

I spent 12 hours trying to find a spot or even something higher than flyingfish but have yet to catch anything better than that. Did a lot of the "deep sea" areas i could find around Dalton, Eberdeen and Staren island but have not found this harpoon fishing to be worth while. Took a big chunk out of my boats endurance too which sucks for so little of a return. Im not saying that we should be given any hotspot locations but a confirmation that they are out there for the harpoon would be nice. Maybe even some sort of visual cue if we are in the area like seeing dorsal fins or breaching.  

Posted

Was there any indication that you were catching anything larger than a surfperch?

Posted

Where exactly are these "deep sea" areas?

Posted

Bump. After never really fishing in the game, I finally decided to get Prof 1 and get the harpoon.It seems useless imo. 1. you cannot afk fish with it 2. In 4 hours or trying it out, I havent caught 1 fish over green and I am trying the "spots" that I find on youtube videos and google searches.

I'm guessing it's not fully implemented in the game yet, as the HUNTING profession isn't fully added either (not even on the ranking system). 

Posted (edited)

Can you use a Harpoon off a row boat?  If so, I am missing something.  I never get past the searching part.

Need a fishing boat..

Edited by Kaydie

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0