• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Cash Shop prices

136 posts in this topic

Posted

Studies economics

Calls the game an "investment"

I can you tell you that your professors would not be pleased.

This makes no sense, I'm surprised you see the logic in this.

If you are trying to say that higher prices lower the quantity demanded, you are right, however it has nothing to do with "availability".

Limited availability is what Sony or Apple do when they release a new phone/console with limited supplies.

Have you studied the price elasticity concept? 

If so, consider for one second, just for the sake of the argument, that prices are inelastic in the case of BDO's CS, like an elasticity of 0.7 or 0.8

With an elasticity of 0.8: decreasing prices by 60% would increase sales by 48%

The result being a lower gross revenue.

By deduction, through the way DAUM is handling prices, I believe prices in CS are indeed inelastic. If you have a reason to believe that prices are in fact elastic (which means the increase in sales would be proportionally higher than a decrease in price) in this specific case, you are free to bring proof, data or research that shows so. Then I would recommend send it directly to DAUM but I believe their people already have the numbers and took their pricing decision based on the numbers they had.

It's a relief to at least see one person who knows what they're talking about.

A straightforward illustration, and a perfectly reasonable conclusion.

1 person likes this

Posted

Wearing underwear on top of pantyhoses is super realistic, too! And the high heels! All DC super heroes are doing it, so you know it's made for fighting!

To be honest, this underwear should not even exist in this game. In this form appeared in XX century.

Posted

That doesn't make sense...

You would rather the cash shop costumes be expensive so you don't see everyone having them, but you're fine with the result of that being even more players look the same due to wearing the identical class armors?

He meant he is happy being a whale throwing disposable money at his screen, but he is unhappy if he sees too many people with the same costume as him.

On the other hand he doesn't give a shit about poor people all looking the same xD

Posted

By deduction, through the way DAUM is handling prices, I believe prices in CS are indeed inelastic. If you have a reason to believe that prices are in fact elastic (which means the increase in sales would be proportionally higher than a decrease in price) in this specific case, you are free to bring proof, data or research that shows so. Then I would recommend send it directly to DAUM but I believe their people already have the numbers and took their pricing decision based on the numbers they had.

When I referred you to the data specifically related to price elasticity in a separate thread, showing how the gaming industry has found lower prices results in higher revenue (complete with gaming industry publisher/developer interviews and keynote speeches), you said: "At first I wrote a huge reply but forget about it, you don't get it. You can read about it on google if you're interested, if not whatever."

If you don't actually want something, you shouldn't ask for it.

The cash shop pricing suggests that they were expecting a small playerbase size, as that is what exists in the other regions. That could even be some part of why they pushed Pearl Abyss so hard for the B2P model. But given that the game has taken off beyond their expectations it seems more prudent to adjust the cash shop pricing to take advantage of that broader than expected appeal.

At the very least there should be a wider price range on the goods. Someone mentioned having costumes without stats as a cheaper option, and that's a great suggestion.

Posted

It's a relief to at least see one person who knows what they're talking about.

A straightforward illustration, and a perfectly reasonable conclusion.

Every time you spend your money that is an investment.  Most of our purchases are bad investments.

Posted

The cash shop pricing suggests that they were expecting a small playerbase size, as that is what exists in the other regions. That could even be some part of why they pushed Pearl Abyss so hard for the B2P model. But given that the game has taken off beyond their expectations it seems more prudent to adjust the cash shop pricing to take advantage of that broader than expected appeal.

At the very least there should be a wider price range on the goods. Someone mentioned having costumes without stats as a cheaper option, and that's a great suggestion.

This too is a very good point - it does appear the high level of interest went beyond their initial expectations.

Posted

This too is a very good point - it does appear the high level of interest went beyond their initial expectations.

I personally feel Daum was just being lazy as they copied the price points from Korea.

Posted

To be honest, this underwear should not even exist in this game. In this form appeared in XX century.

I'm still upset we don't have any corsets. I love corsets and they'd fit into the climate of the game very well.

One can argue it's a fantasy world and not a realistic medieval game, but I refuse to accept any costume as "canon" if it really stands out and no NPCs wear anything that looks at least a bit similar.

Like in TERA or BNS. Yeah, costumes are ridiculously revealing and look off, but all NPCs wear them. This makes player's character not stand out as much and you can blend in with the crowd. In BDO all NPCs wear medieval clothes that are very covering, so Karlstein or Santa Claus costume really don't fit in...

Posted (edited)

Lol, WHAM! :P That's got more to do with the RNG dyes than anything. Unless you mean the hair colors, which are unusually limited except for bizarre colors.

You mean like this?

OkjLitP.jpg
9R530VV.jpg
zGeFBpU.jpg
vmjfO6F.jpg
kSDH9Yp.jpg

The Berserker gets a nice fancy gentleman's suit as well, complete with top hat.

Those are the terrible examples I shudder thinking about...  But I meant the standard base armor, at least it looks like functional armor.  God help us all when we get a flood of loli pink angle winged tamer's and witches running around...  *sigh*

I hope when that day comes they implement a hide player equipment setting.

Oh, yes....

z5o4GZZ.png

"realistic and functional"

The funny thing is out of all the costumes listed this one is the most lore friendly and realistic to be included in the game...  Its a traditional costume used in festivals on Illyia island or whatever that town is north of Velia.

Edited by Zegram

Posted

Those are the terrible examples I shudder thinking about...  But I meant the standard base armor, at least it looks like functional armor.  God help us all when we get a flood of loli pink angle winged tamer's and witches running around...  *sigh*

Made an old Valkyrie to show how ridiculous the style-lock is.

What your character looks like:

2016-03-20_705387762_zpskgwofljf.png

What your character wears:

2016-03-20_705469562_zpsts1afypb.png

2016-03-20_705540312_zpsk2faejvy.png2016-03-20_705923564_zps1wnng1o4.png2016-03-20_706110265_zpser5fkbag.png2016-03-20_705876031_zpsugyb7pio.png

Granny doesn't approve.

2016-03-20_706221816_zps7og7vqis.png

-snip-

2016-03-03_620598961_zpsp6rdifgz.png2016-03-03_620595245_zpst9umazbo.png2016-03-03_620602795_zpss4eotwgx.png2016-03-03_620606662_zpsykux5vci.png2016-03-03_620610461_zpshuldgdig.png2016-03-03_620615528_zps4iwhmeyc.png

They look so functional. As long as you have legs made of steel!

2016-03-02_584447731_zpsnhxvfm34.png

Ouch.

Posted (edited)

I personally feel Daum was just being lazy as they copied the price points from Korea.

Just like they left in ALL the free to play mechanics built into the game and didn't change anything to suit western audience apart from introducing free to play mobile game energy systems and removing cash shop related stuff.

And the fact they had to argue with PA for it to be buy 2 play is just laughable and an insult of our collective intelligence, the only reason they opted for a buy 2 play release was because they expected it to tank like Korea, Japan and Russia so wanted to get as much money as quickly as possible.

Now they're riding on their unpredicted success (which is hilarious too and shows how shortsighted and inept they actually are that they couldn't see how much interest was in the game from the western market) claiming cash shop prices are totally fine when they clearly aren't from the amount of complaints and negative reviews based around this subject, but again it shows they're incredibly out of touch with the reality of it all like they were with not predicting how successful it would be.

Edited by ArgleBargle

Posted

IMHO (In My Honest Opinion) The prices are fine, I just wish there was more options for costumes and pets.

I want some of the cool outfits, that show during the character creation process.

But, what I really want are these.

black_desert_cats_3.thumb.jpg.7a7a440b9bblack_desert_5.thumb.jpg.2b0b414b4554379Penguin-0.thumb.png.8006e4b654c6a3e4c2d5tumblr_nsbdp8VIFS1tiz823o1_500.thumb.pngmaxresdefault.thumb.jpg.f53c4b64123719e92016-02-25_1353534365.thumb.jpg.d497a5d7

And so many others, hell I would love to have this (below)

Olaf-the-Snowman-Beloved-Star-of-Disney-

Yes I know kr has a snowman already, but I know I can't be the only one who wants Olaf.

Posted (edited)

It's strange to me that they went to Second Life-esque costumes so quickly. There are so many historical armors and traditional clothing that they could have drawn inspiration from and really made some cool looking gear. They did add some stuff like that, but then went for... sailor costumes?

As Vix talked about, the NPC's all wear medievalish costumes. I wish they had looked at those game world outfits and adapted them for player use. So you can get a regional guard costume, a bandit den outfit, a regular shirt and pants, etc. Basically let the characters be a part of the world, rather than separating them with outlandish costumes.

Typically in MMO's it feels like your character is a tourist to the setting, but one of the biggest draws of BDO for me has been that your character really feels like it belongs to that world. It sounds like you value that immersiveness as well, and I agree it would be nice to be able to hide those costumes.

But, what I really want are these.

What I want is this one :)

LMrVEie.jpg

I heard it comes from a RNG chest though :(

Edited by scau
1 person likes this

Posted

Those are the terrible examples I shudder thinking about...  But I meant the standard base armor, at least it looks like functional armor

No, most standard base armor is made from cloth. It's really no difference if get cut by sword when wearing cloth or being naked, it's simply does not matter.

Posted

For OP: I'm also a college student, 2nd year right now. And I honestly couldn't care more or less for the cash shop, I just play the game even though I look like a complete clown, because dyes. But despite me looking like a clown, that ain't stopping me from having fun with BDO :P but well, i'm saving up some money for later so I can get Ghillie, because... Gathering +1 of course?

Posted

No, most standard base armor is made from cloth. It's really no difference if get cut by sword when wearing cloth or being naked, it's simply does not matter.

Right? Really breaks the realism of the game and really makes it clear that it's not reality when I summon meteors from the sky and lightning from my staff.

Posted

Then don't Play the game.. the Prices already got decreased and they won't decrease them any further. The characters look awesome even without casharmors and the classic "all look almost the same" is what comes with korean mmos.. love it or hate it.

Progression is not about looking fancy it is about inner strength.. even a fat hobo in rugs can own you over if he understands simple things about marterial arts.. thats why you should not underrestimate the power of "all look the same" to hide your inner strength.. it's a shame most ppl call the armors potatobag... they are perfectly fine and casualy

That is already happening. It's bleeding shares already.

Posted (edited)

Im talking about stuff like this you twits...

tzpdxnb.png

Not your ranger spank bank fantasies...  That above looks much more functional than like this garbage.

f5c82a9e13d13163c8b4a52207f5f10f.jpg

Or this.

tumblr_inline_mvr4s85hLR1rhlhi0.jpg

Or insert a million other fantasy MMO's, I refuse to believe you guys are so daft as to not understand what I'm saying...  And even the female armors in this game, BASE ARMORS, are a helluva lot better than this flaming turd bellow.

558480_0.png

...  Like what even is that...  *sigh*

Wait it cencored twits?!?

Edited by Zegram

Posted (edited)

The problem I have with black deserts cash shop is not even about pricing, its about limiting things in game while keeping it a buy to play product AND having above average pricing. 

For me a perfect pay model is where you pay to get the full game and the cash shop then adds extra cosmetic items or vanity stuff like cooler pets or a better looking couch model OR a F2P game where you get the game where some functionality or perks are behind a pay wall but that paywall is low enough for anyone to justify paying for aslong as you enjoy the game. 

Right now BDO have a B2P model where you pay for a game which then hides perks(+exp% gain, ghille, inventory, weight requirement) functionality(horse breeding, pet looting, skill resets) and all cosmetic items behind a very steep pay wall without any of it obtainable ingame. 
I have spent alot of money on cash shops but I will not support a bad business model just because I can and if anything BDO:s model is insulting with how little value our hard earned money have and how much they think we should have to pay to get access to basic features. 

Edited by Cray

Posted

Im talking about stuff like this you -----s...

tzpdxnb.png

Not your ranger spank bank fantasies...  That above looks much more functional than like this garbage.

Or this.

Or insert a million other fantasy MMO's, I refuse to believe you guys are so daft as to not understand what I'm saying...  And even the female armors in this game, BASE ARMORS, are a helluva lot better than this flaming turd bellow.

558480_0.png

Imho, armors Tamer, Sorc or Witch wear are top-notch. You still look like a potato-sack, but they're climatic and realistic, especially Witch. I just don't like Valkyrie and Ranger when it comes to their armors- all are mini dresses and high heels.

Fun fact- what Ranger wears now used to be a SHIRT. They got rid of Ranger's pants somewhere during Korean BETA's, that's why this "dress" is so short. xD

20131021010731a0dlzul5wqdwfphm.jpg

2016-03-27_zpssvuzw6kn.png

They also removed all the unique models where Ranger had pants. >->

2016-03-27%202_zps9s3x92pv.png2016-03-27%203_zpsr05u0rar.png

And moved previously free "Bern" to the Cash Shop

2016-03-27%201_zps3d9hjosy.png

Posted

All of this costumes should be for free as a rewards in game for bosses/archievment etc. Pay for armor 30$ really?? 0 satisfaction from this game !! Look other mmorpg wow, l2, and many many more have ALOT diffrent armors, not 6 look the same, this really disappoint me !!

First and last mistake is comparing this game to a THEME PARK MMO.

Posted

Actually, you are supporting Daum's business model with that $30/$50 purchase you made to play the game in the first place.

Yes i purchased the base game. You are half right. I am not spending further money on the cash shop which is the other half of their business model. So i am not supporting that part. 

Posted (edited)

Have you studied the price elasticity concept? 

If so, consider for one second, just for the sake of the argument, that prices are inelastic in the case of BDO's CS, like an elasticity of 0.7 or 0.8

With an elasticity of 0.8: decreasing prices by 60% would increase sales by 48%

The result being a lower gross revenue.

If they'd still make a profit with the lower prices, then it would still be worth it for them!

Why? Because Daum and PA did get a LOT of flack for the cash shop from the general media, which in return influenced the perception that people have of them and the game.

If such a move could sway the "cash grab" image to a positive one (i.e. that they listen to the concerns and that they try their best to improve upon them), then this image-boost may well be worth the somewhat lower revenue.

That's why I said, that they should offer two different versions of the costumes:

One being the current "premium costumes" with the stats and set effects for either $20* w/o weapons or $25* with them.

The other being a "basic skin / armor model" without any stats and/or set effects for either $10 for just the armor or $15 for armor and weapons.

*  You might noticed that I adjusted the prices for the premium costumes ever so slightly. A smaller gap between "basic" and "premium" can sway a lot of people to pay up for the premium, since "meh, it's not that much of a difference in price"...

Im talking about stuff like this you twits...

tzpdxnb.png

Or this.

558480_0.png

Wait it cencored twits?!?

Oi...leave Aion out of this... ¬¬

Edited by Skaar

Posted

Sorry, I know you're trying to defend the game, but that's an outright lie.  Korean MMOs I've played have some of the most varied costume and armor variety I've seen.   Much more so than western MMOs I've played.  Just take a look at this in-game cosplay thread in Vindictus where players use the huge variety of costumes and armor to cosplay various characters :

http://vindictus.nexon.net/community#%2Fshowthread.php%3F986313-Vindictus-In-game-Cosplay%26highlight%3Dcosplay%26nxid%3D15

BDO has the most limited costume and armor selection variety (and this includes the paltry offering in the cash shop) I've seen.   This is one of the game's weakest points.  I'm not saying the game is bad, but it does have it's weakness and this is one of them. 

Vindictus is one out of a few that offer a variety - i never said all offer all look same but it's what a lot of korean (and asian in General) do  -- its just that f2p makes it locrative to lock suits behind a paywall

now look at DragonNest for example it offers the same few variety and barely someone is complaining  and there are a lot more where it is that way

That's where you're wrong unfortunately.  There's certain classes that look good , but many classes lack any nice ingame outfits. If you want to look good, you're going to have to use money in the ingame shop.   It is not like in WoW or Guild Wars where you find insanely many outfits / gear pieces that look good and then there's a few great ones in the store (Wow with their head pieces and GW with their outfits).   

And as any normal player you're going to want to look good, you don't want to run around in something you think is ugly. 

well taste differs´obviously. I find the cashshop suits to look incredibly ugly in this game and the Standard ones look better than most of them. The good ones are not out yet although the fishsuit is cute

So you want to tell me that in L2 you look the same, Aion - you look the same, GW2 - you look the same? No this is only speciality for damn BDO and the thing that is is provided by Daum which is mobile company :)

L2 Vindictus and many more are the old ones, it is a rather new kind of businessmodel for f2p to hide suits behind a paywall and offer only generic looking ones, that do look good in bdo.. better than most.  DragonNest, FlyForFun, LaTale, ~C9  only to Name a few that hide the good ones behind paywall while the Standard ones look either the same or are nothing Special.. and there are more

Oh, yes....

z5o4GZZ.png

"realistic and functional"

Actually... those fishes are treated like gods in Korea.. it is in fact an anciant god.. kinda like the Koi fishes in Japan or the Dragons in China.. they changed it ofc a bit but it is fundamentaly something spiritual

Posted (edited)

you said: "At first I wrote a huge reply but forget about it, you don't get it. You can read about it on google if you're interested, if not whatever."

You mean the reply that looked like taken out of google translate?

Please tell me what this sentence means, see if it makes any sense at all:

"Rather than price elasticity governing revenue, they wound up with a gross revenue increase of 40x (not 40%, 40x)."

1- Rather than price elasticity governing revenue? What the hell are you talking about? 

2- An increase of 40x the revenue means, if we use BDO costumes as an example:

--------------------------------------------------

Gross revenue x40 => Costumes at 15€ = +8.000% Sales (Elasticity = 160)

OR

Gross revenue x40 => Costumes at 10€ = +12.000% Sales (Elasticity = 183)

Does it seem reasonable to you that they have a price elasticity of 160 or 180? (Just talking about numbers coherence here)

Does it seem reasonable to you that they have a price elasticity of 160 or 180 on their product, and not notice it?

Lastly, does it seem like a reasonable assumption to you that if they lowered the price of costumes to 10€, they would sell 120 costumes instead of 1 at 30€?

3- "The price elasticity position did not ring true."

What does this mean?

Price elasticity is not a position, it is not a school of thought or a way of managing companies.

Price elasticity is a tool used to measure the reaction of sales in function of price.

You can't say something like "The price elasticity position did not ring true". 

Writing "price elasticity governing revenue", or the "price elasticity position did not ring true" shows that you do not understand the concept of price elasticity. Which is also why I invited to you to google it.

Sorry for the long post, honestly I did not want to reply but I made the effort because I do not want to be rude. 

Edited by Nestheross
1 person likes this