• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Why is BDO's English Localization Horrible?

45 posts in this topic

Posted

I've seen lots of item descriptions and UI text that was obviously written by someone that doesn't speak English well.

For example:

Oil for Lantern - "A oil that extend to the use of lanterns and lamps for 3 hours."

My information - "Your adventure 2D 18H 4M has passed."

The game is super fun but reading badly translated text takes some of the polish off.

Don't know how many copies this game sold but maybe for the next major patch they can hire someone to proofread and clean up the translations.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Because they probably translate without knowing what they are translating. They translate from a script, they don't see ingame menus. So they often have to translate in the most literal way.

2nd one is a technical UI problem, in english the time would be at the end of the sentence, I assume it's not in korean. So they had to translate two separate entities : "your adventure" and "has passed", without knowing the two were supposed to go together, or what they were used for in the game. The tech guys didn't realize they should remove the part behind the timer and stick the timer at the right of the window to allow more space before.

Edited by Flaee

Posted (edited)

Because they translate without knowing what they are translating. So they have to translate the most literally possible. 2nd one is a technical UI problem, in english the time would be at the end of the sentence, I assume it's not in korean. So they had to translate two separate entities : "your adventure" and "has passed", without knowing the two were supposed to go together or related to time.

Stop protecting them, its just bullshit.

Even when you would be right they could have, if some normal human would've translated it, have written "You played -- so far" ?! Or you wanna tell me thats worse than what they did or it wasnt possible for some reason? And that was just something I thought off in the first few seconds after I read you explanation.

Edited by MadJukes

Posted

I'd rather have bad translations than censored translations.

Posted

But me England the very bestest!

Me do the Korean to England for Daum!

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Even when you would be right they could have, if some normal human would've translated it, have written "You played -- so far" ?!

Have you not understood what I wrote? You must not be very computer savy. I just told you they didn't translate a sentence. They translated "your adventure" and "has passed" as single sentences. They probably didn't know it was two bits of a same sentence, maybe it wasn't even translated the same day by the same person. They translate from a text dump in a .pdf, they don't just launch the game and write stuff down in the game UI.

Obviously the translation was rushed to release the game early, with little communication from the translators and the devs. It will probably fixed over time.

Edited by Flaee

Posted

it's because they used google translate for most of it. 

Posted

Hopefully with the success of the game, they'll continue to invest in localization and improving it. 

I feel like the lore and stories are great, but much of it is really getting lost for us.

I'd crow fund $1m for proper localization if they let me ;)

Posted

Forgot to mention the black spirit dialogue.....I don't get half of what that guy says, or how it matches up with the subtitles.

I just skip through every dialogue I see until i get to the screen that shows the objective and the quest rewards. Only screen in English that even remotely makes sense.

Sucks too because I enjoy reading quest stuff but this is like pulling teeth.

Posted

Probably a translator program and not a singular person translating the game. The amount of effort used is definitely not alot but atleast I can understand whats going on.

Posted

Stop protecting them, its just bullshit.

Even when you would be right they could have, if some normal human would've translated it, have written "You played -- so far" ?! Or you wanna tell me thats worse than what they did or it wasnt possible for some reason? And that was just something I thought off in the first few seconds after I read you explanation.

Are you human?

Posted

You think BDo localisation is bad ?

Guess you never played Blade & Soul, even google translation do a better job than the BnS translation.

In BDO its clearly not perfect, but its still fully understable.

1 person likes this

Posted

Quality translations are a luxury. Like legit you honestly thought a company would pay top dollar for translating a free to play game? 

Posted

lol.thumb.jpg.39c236a5dca16fd9ea2d3e8372

Posted

The worst is crafting quests that call for the wrong damn items. (I'm looking at you alchemy...)

Posted

maxresdefault.jpg

Posted

Because it's being translated by a company who's native language isn't English.

Posted

Probably a translator program and not a singular person translating the game. The amount of effort used is definitely not alot but atleast I can understand whats going on.

트롤공성병 - This is a certain type of monster in the game, try and translate that via google. As if they used a translator program.

It also isn't Daum who translates the texts, it is a different company. The game has 3 million words (average book apparently 80k to 120k), so proof reading isn't as easy as people here make it.

Also anyone who translates text has different background knowledge. Some may translate X with Y, others translate X to Z. Both make sense, yet it doesn't make as much sense if you always want the same translation, but a single person can hardly translate that many words fast enough.

Posted (edited)

The worst is crafting quests that call for the wrong damn items. (I'm looking at you alchemy...)

This doesn't have to do with translation though, it's the quest script using the wrong item ID to trigger quest validation. It was probably a deliberate change, but done after the translation of these quests, and they didn't update the text.

트롤공성병 - This is a certain type of monster in the game, try and translate that via google.

Hahaha holy shit

What is it ingame

Edited by Flaee

Posted

I've seen lots of item descriptions and UI text that was obviously written by someone that doesn't speak English well.

For example:

Oil for Lantern - "A oil that extend to the use of lanterns and lamps for 3 hours."

My information - "Your adventure 2D 18H 4M has passed."

The game is super fun but reading badly translated text takes some of the polish off.

Don't know how many copies this game sold but maybe for the next major patch they can hire someone to proofread and clean up the translations.

What do you expect when you play a game developed by Koreans, and published by a Dutch company? 

Posted

Hahaha holy shit

What is it ingame

It's the Troll Siege Soldier, those who're hanging on the walls of the Anti-Troll Fortification.

Posted

Because they didn't spend enough on it to get it done properly. Pure and simple.

They hired Chong from the local sweatshop probably and paid him a terrible wage to translate the game, hey... I don't blame him he's gotta eat but this is why it's terribly done. They cheaped out and ran off with our money.

Posted

What do you expect when you play a game developed by Koreans, and published by a Dutch company? 

"Dutch Company"

Are people speaking from their ass or something? Do they not know what's happening?

Its a subsidiary of DAUM, the publisher in Korea.

Posted

"Dutch Company"

Are people speaking from their ass or something? Do they not know what's happening?

Its a subsidiary of DAUM, the publisher in Korea.

Red is busy correcting the whales. Now I've seen it all.

Posted

Wasn't proofread/QA'd by someone proficient in English is my best guess.

Nearly every single piece of lore or NPC dialogue has grammar issues in it.

Even skill descriptions are flat out wrong sometimes.

I'd take a commission and QA all the text if they'd let me as I'm a grammar nazi, but I doubt I'd ever get that chance.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0