• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Why is BDO's English Localization Horrible?

45 posts in this topic

Posted

"Dutch Company"

Are people speaking from their ass or something? Do they not know what's happening?

Its a subsidiary of DAUM, the publisher in Korea.

Do you expect all Koreans to speak perfect english?  (I bet they probably speak better english than you do Korean)

Do you expect all EU companies to write perfect english? (Half the Americans that play this game can't even do that right)

Regardless, I'm not sure who stepped on your -----, but my point is that you spoiled ass brats need to realize that the whole -----ing world doesn't revolve around you.  If you don't like the english translations, go play a game with better english translations, like WOW. 

Posted

I've seen lots of item descriptions and UI text that was obviously written by someone that doesn't speak English well.

For example:

Oil for Lantern - "A oil that extend to the use of lanterns and lamps for 3 hours."

My information - "Your adventure 2D 18H 4M has passed."

The game is super fun but reading badly translated text takes some of the polish off.

Don't know how many copies this game sold but maybe for the next major patch they can hire someone to proofread and clean up the translations.

because this game had very low production values as far as western standards go. They did a budget translation to spend as little as possible on a version of the game they had no faith in. 

Posted

Regardless, I'm not sure who stepped on your -----, but my point is that you spoiled ass brats need to realize that the whole -----ing world doesn't revolve around you.  If you don't like the english translations, go play a game with better english translations, like WOW. 

How can WoW have English translations when the original language is English? :P 

As for the localization, it's definitely poor but readable. It does have an impact on immersion when NPCs talk like they're from the modern day, but apart from that it's not a huge deal considering Korean localizations are almost always poorly done. I've been spoiled by FFXIV's localization, that's for sure. 

Posted

Do you expect all Koreans to speak perfect english?  (I bet they probably speak better english than you do Korean)

Do you expect all EU companies to write perfect english? (Half the Americans that play this game can't even do that right)

Yes a paid product that is normally free to play in other regions should be exempt from any form of criticism within the quality of the product we paid for.

If it was some small Korean indie dev team that have a minor budget for a free game, whatever. This wasn't the case and your sycophancy does no service here.  

Posted (edited)

How can WoW have English translations when the original language is English? :P 

As for the localization, it's definitely poor but readable. It does have an impact on immersion when NPCs talk like they're from the modern day, but apart from that it's not a huge deal considering Korean localizations are almost always poorly done. I've been spoiled by FFXIV's localization, that's for sure. 

Japanese and American games almost always have quality localizations from my experience (ie. Wow in Cantonese, or FF14 in English).  Korean games never do.

Edited by Gungan

Posted

Yes a paid product that is normally free to play in other regions should be exempt from any form of criticism within the quality of the product we paid for.

If it was some small Korean indie dev team that have a minor budget for a free game, whatever. This wasn't the case and your sycophancy does no service here.  

If you're unhappy, quit whining, man up and go play something else.  You probably shouldn't have purchased the game if $30-50-100 was beyond that which could be offset by the allowance from your mom. 

Posted

Japanese and American games almost always have quality localizations from my experience (ie. Wow in Cantonese, or FF14 in English).  Korean games never do.

Generally it's because they have faith in their games, and they were right as FFXIV is incredibly popular in English regions and WoW in China whereas Korean publishers have little faith and just publish it as cheaply as possible as to not lose much if it does flop. At this point it might be too late to redo the translations or voice acting, so even if it is successful they leave it be. :/ 

Posted

You do realise the Koreans don't have to speak perfect english? they could have easily outsourced the scripts to be proof read by a couple English majors for 10 bucks...

Posted

Personally I'm much more concerned by the bad UI ports than the actual translation. Stuff like buttons popping in the middle of text, text overflowing outside windows, getting superposed etc.

Posted

It was weird when I was playing all I could see was

spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs 

spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs spam eggs 

Posted

I've seen lots of item descriptions and UI text that was obviously written by someone that doesn't speak English well.

For example:

Oil for Lantern - "A oil that extend to the use of lanterns and lamps for 3 hours."

My information - "Your adventure 2D 18H 4M has passed."

The game is super fun but reading badly translated text takes some of the polish off.

Don't know how many copies this game sold but maybe for the next major patch they can hire someone to proofread and clean up the translations.

There is already an entire forum post dedicated to reporting these issues since at least CBT1 that I was in.

I can't understand how certain types of aquatic life can be completely different in one section of a fishing quest and right on the other description it tells you to get a completely different kind of species (I am still trying to catch the elusive Sardopus, or Sardinopus, or Octodine; really...how can you mess up saying catch a sardine vs an octopus, or a puffer / blowfish / swellfish vs what ever fish you really need to catch, or trying to catch the non-existent starfish, etc).

Posted

Korean doesn't have a simple language. From what I can understand translating the sentence "The dog walked into the room" from English to Korean would be like "Dog room entered". This is because Koreans follows the SOV sentence structure. 

Posted

The worst is crafting quests that call for the wrong damn items. (I'm looking at you alchemy...)

Many people are looking at the one that tells you 3 ore when it should be 3 ingots, which is a HUGE difference to someone just getting that "tutorial" quest.

Korean doesn't have a simple language. From what I can understand translating the sentence "The dog walked into the room" from English to Korean would be like "Dog room entered". This is because Koreans follows the SOV sentence structure. 

Sh on Verbs?

Posted (edited)

I can't understand how certain types of aquatic life can be completely different in one section of a fishing quest and right on the other description it tells you to get a completely different kind of species

The fish name is different from one section of the quest to the next because the NPC dialogue and quest log are handwritten, while the button to give the item is an automated script that just displays the item name. So if you change something in the script, it will update itself, but the quest text will require someone to rewrite it.

really...how can you mess up saying catch a sardine vs an octopus

The quest originally was to catch a sardine. Then someone changed it to an octopus for some reason. Maybe for balance purposes, or maybe someone just messed with the database and swapped some fish IDs around without thinking. Either way, now the text still says to catch a sardine, while the quest requires an octopus.

It's not a mistake from the translator. It's a dev who changed the quest and didn't ask the translation team to rewrite the text.

Edited by Flaee

Posted

Whelp your name said it all really.

I could skip past all the immature whiteknight crap.

Posted

It was weird when I was playing all I could see was

I'm still shocked every day how you are not banned.

Posted

Just for laughs, here ya go.

Untitled.png

Posted

Meanwhile at 90's...

- How about going down and checking by yourself, i've got a rope here.
- Oh do you? Then ill try going down using the rope.

Players reaction: Best game ever! :o

Posted

I remember an NPC was talking and the subtitles had a "/" in it. Like they accidently hit it on the keyboard. I've never seen such lazy localization. Did you guys even try? Didn't know this was an early access Steam game ;)

Posted (edited)

Have you not understood what I wrote? You must not be very computer savy. I just told you they didn't translate a sentence. They translated "your adventure" and "has passed" as single sentences. They probably didn't know it was two bits of a same sentence, maybe it wasn't even translated the same day by the same person. They translate from a text dump in a .pdf, they don't just launch the game and write stuff down in the game UI.

Obviously the translation was rushed to release the game early, with little communication from the translators and the devs. It will probably fixed over time.

Probably this. I don't think people realize just how daunting it is to localize a game this massive (or any game for that matter).. It's not even that bad, you can understand nearly everything even if the syntax or grammar is a bit off.  I haven't encountered anything where I was like ''I can't even tell wtf this is supposed to say'' so far.

Edited by Anemone

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0