• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Coming from AA. how good is this game?

64 posts in this topic

Posted

There is no P2W in this game when paired against AA's cash shop-- trust.
I like some things AA did better compared to this game, like trade packs and the sea/boats... but this game is more fun, IMO. It's more realistic as in like, you can't just summon mounts or vehicles from scrolls like in AA, but I definitely like that better personally.
I also miss classes having racial abilities-- I'd give anything to be a Firran with fall damage reduction again LMAO.

Posted

Big improvement over cash shop.  Slight improvement with crafting.  Pvp and water based stuff is a bit worse.  General combat is usually a personal decision.  I like it more.

Rng is tied to cash shop, but to a lesser extent.  Dyes are rng based and mostly cash shop exclusive.  The perfect shade will cost you a fortune, but getting something close to what you want is affordable.  Pets are cash shop only, and leveling their tiers is a major cash dump.  Getting a high tier pet with the bonuses you want falls into whale level spending.  Costumes cost around 30$, and the uglier ones come with bonuses.  Ghillie suit hides your name/guild when not crouching/prone, so people can only tell who you are when you kill them.  Most shady item in shop by far.  Very useful in pvp, but doesn't offer damage or defense bonuses so might escape the p2w tag if you're generous.  Also comes with minor gathering bonus.  Fish suit comes with major swim speed bonus, and minor fishing bonus.  Fishing and gathering bonuses are easy to find in game.  The nameplate hide and swim speed stuff are cash shop exclusive.

Costs are slightly hidden.  Base game is 30$, but most end up 60~100$ due to cash shop only "convenience" items and bundles.  Loot pets being the most popular, with costume being the second most(very little choice in looks outside of cash shop).

PvP is mostly for players near level cap and usually limited to grind spots and guild wars.  New people can easily put in over 30hrs playtime and never fight anyone but npcs.  If you go heavy into tradeskills then that number could easily double.  Can have a bit of fun earlier than that in arenas.

Posted

All my AA friends are here now and content.

Posted

I appreciate the replies.

So a bit of P2W, but not as much as AA?

The only p2w in this game is instant revives.

Everything else is trash. Just get 3 pets and don't bother with shitty breeding system, they changed it from korea and its more rng to get any combat exp boost =3

Posted

Having recently arrived from AA myself, I can say one thing loud and clear.

I don't feel like I need to log in every single day to keep up my land. If I don't log in for a week, it does not matter. I lose nothing.

AA pressures you to play so much so that it begins to feel like a job. BDO will be here when you return and everything will be just as you left it. It's a relief and it is fun to play.

1 person likes this

Posted

There's no possible player interaction besides PvP and the economy basically doesn't exist. 

Besides that, it's not bad. 

1 person likes this

Posted

If you ignore the console peasants crying that the cash shop is too expensive for permanent items and the other half of forum trolls saying the game is P2W, the game is honestly awesome.

Erm, I enjoy the game too but don't try to fanboy here.  He's asking for honest feedback.  Doesn't take a console peasant to realize that the cash shop is way overpriced for what you get.  Actually borderline comedic how overpriced stuff is.  I wouldn't say it's P2W but the cash shop is outrageous.

Posted

Ghillie suite is pretty much required to be viable in PVP, and its like $20-$25 I am pretty sure. If anyone says otherwise, it's because they have one themselves or they haven't been faced against someone in open-world PVP that has one.

The Pearl shop prices are pretty outrageous.

But overall, it's a great game with a lot to do.

Posted

As title says.

Also, is there skill resets like in Archeage or ill have to look up builds for what i wanna play so i dont screw myself and have to start over?

Edit: Also im wondering which class to choose, both Witch and Valkyrie seem appealing to me, are they viable classes and what is their purpose in pvp?

costumes are not cosmetic only like archeage, ignore the fan boy comments that they are. I have 3 outfits, underwear, and all the jewelry. Everything provides buffs and perks for having them on. In archeage you can just buy them on the AH here you can not. 

Underwear gives luck +1

Jewelry gives ability to learn more

The costumes I have 1 I can swim like a fish, jump is increased, and fishingincreased. 

Another costume I have gives me 10% combat increase 24/7. Weapon durability increase and 100 more stamina. 

Guile suit hides your name, increase gathering 

PetS are a must unless picking up each loot from something you kill doesn't bother you. I have 3 which is the max you can have.

item slots, you have so few that it will drive u crazy constantly going to an NPC or AH and also your warehouse is only a few slots too. I spent $200 just in opening more slots for my character and a few warehouses. 

Total to just play $100 conqueror pack, and the game pets plus outfits total =  $500 

On picking a class, I'd watch the you tube videos that's out there and you can decide for yourself. Each class has its own pros and cons.

Posted (edited)

item slots, you have so few that it will drive u crazy constantly going to an NPC or AH and also your warehouse is only a few slots too. I spent $200 just in opening more slots for my character and a few warehouses. 

If you manage your contribution and do your quests you will have plenty of inventory space as long as you don't hoard every item that drops. This game makes you pick and choose if you decide to rush to 50, expect to do so with limited inventory space.  If you actually do the quests, you will obtain quite a bit more inventory.   Run some trade routes to increase your weight limit.   Doing those quests will also increase your contribution points which can be used to increase your warehouse storage in any city.   Belts also increase your weight limit.

So the only reason to buy Inventory space or warehouse space is because you choose not to use the in game options to increase it or else you wish to hoard everything that drops.  

As most items stack at least to 99,999 it isn't as much of a pain as some make out.

Edited by Tollwutig

Posted

Compared to archeage this game is pretty good.

level makes a big difference in this game. You pretty much can't hit people if they have high DP or higher level and you have no accuracy. 

Both games have very gear based combat. 

CC is very punishing in both games. In Archeage you can break out of CC. In black desert you can't, but you can spam potions while CC'd. In either game tho, if you get CC'd you are probably going to get 1 shot shortly after. 

Posted

If you manage your contribution and do your quests you will have plenty of inventory space as long as you don't hoard every item that drops. This game makes you pick and choose if you decide to rush to 50, expect to do so with limited inventory space.  If you actually do the quests, you will obtain quite a bit more inventory.   Run some trade routes to increase your weight limit.   Doing those quests will also increase your contribution points which can be used to increase your warehouse storage in any city.   Belts also increase your weight limit.

So the only reason to buy Inventory space or warehouse space is because you choose not to use the in game options to increase it or else you wish to hoard everything that drops.  

As most items stack at least to 99,999 it isn't as much of a pain as some make out.

I've done ever single quest, town to town. I like to be able to have all my cooking items on hand also keep on hand other items for convenience. You can look up and do all the inventory quests from google. I have 100's of hours in the game so I don't need your noob advice thanks.

Posted

I quit AA a year ago because of upcoming server merges.  I worked hard for my land, and I was not looking forward to losing it.  Also, end game was a bit lacking.

I tried BDO and quit around level 30.  There was a lot I liked about the game.  I liked the worker system.  I liked nodes.  Basically, you can build up a network of nodes and .  I like that you had to stable your horse and wagon.  I liked how you had to interact with NPC to gain knowledge. 

There were some things I didn't like, and I decided not to invest more time as of now.  I didn't like that everyone looks basically the same.  No real diversity w/ costumes.  I wore trader gear most the time just to look different, which wasn't so great if I got into combat.  Not a big deal at low levels, but not really an option later w/ PvP I imagine.  I did not like the economy.  What AA did right was a basically closed system where cash entered the system through Trade Routes and Fishing, and left the system through many things, mainly Regrades.   People needed each other to craft things.  I make a low level leather boots...and I can sell on the market to be consumed by a higher level player that time is more important then money.  It all felt connected.  BoD seems like a single player game.  What broke it for me is when I found out that AFK fishing is very profitable.  More so then about anything else, at least until you have built up a large empire.  Basically, in AA, I felt like I made an impact, and was part of a community.  In BoD, I felt like I may as well be playing a solo RPG. 

Combat was just so so.  It was getting better as I leveled, so I will put that as a neutral.  The PvE aspect was not great, but then again, neither was AA.

What I missed about AA.  I missed having land.  All housing in BoD is instanced.  After the merger issues, I understand why....but just didn't have the same feel as AA.  I liked having neighbors.  I liked working for some great locations.  I missed having a glider.  I missed the economy.  I missed being able to trade w/ other players. 

BoD is a good game, just not what I was looking for yet.  To me, it is a game where the whole point is to grind to the highest level so you can gank the other guy trying to grind his way up.   I am sure that will change as more content is added. 

Posted

Mobs give something besides coin purses.

Posted

The P2W really isn't there for the most part in BDO compared to AA.

BDO is really nice and there are a lot of "ohhh shiny!" for mini-games.  Like the others that have posted up about the differences between AA vs. BDO the biggest thing that I have noticed is that the RNG isn't as bad.  The equipment is really nice that you can share it to your family and it is not bound to a specific character.  Another thing is if you join a guild, you join your family to the guild, that means all the characters that you make are all in the guild.

That can be good and bad depending on how you look at it. But, it does help out if you are needing it.

Best advice that I can give ya is, plunk down the money to buy in and give it a whirl.  Either that check around and see if there are any players still have 7-day passes and go that route.

Good Luck and hope to see ya in game!

Cheers!

Posted

I appreciate the replies.

So a bit of P2W, but not as much as AA?

0% Pay to win. Here we dont have pay to win! Don't listen to stupid people. As a player of AA i am telling you BDO has 0 pay to win. 0

Posted

youll get pked and bo back to drinking XP

Posted

With the Ghillie Suit it's literally possible to hide in plain sight pretending that you're a bush. It also hides your characters name and some people say this is p2w. But the purpose of the suit was to allow you to have fun ambushing other players, so it really must hide your name or it couldn't work. 

Posted (edited)

ArcheAge did water content a thousand times better than Black Desert. Sailing was quite enjoyable, not to mention the naval combat, grappling hooks, cannons, etc. The underwater content was also really cool. Black Desert is really far behind in that, and I don't think it gets as good even with Valencia.

The hang glider stuff was also pretty awesome in ArcheAge, and BDO doesn't have anything like that. I've climbed to peaks a lot of times in BDO and wished I could fly off.

The variety of gear in ArcheAge was also more than acceptable, and a number of the cash shop cosmetic items were fairly priced

That is really where ArcheAge's superiority ends though.

In Black Desert trading is better, housing is better, combat is better, crafting and harvesting are better, the energy system is far more lenient, etc. It does go backwards in certain areas though. The ingame attainable gear is rather pathetic, with only 2-3 outfits per class. To get a better look you have to drop upwards of $30 for a single use costume that cannot be traded between your own characters. That's a big negative you'll run into.

That said, if you enjoyed ArcheAge, Black Desert is like getting AA with many of it's systems improved, but without as severe of a gambling cash shop. It is well worth picking up.

0% Pay to win. Here we dont have pay to win! Don't listen to stupid people. As a player of AA i am telling you BDO has 0 pay to win. 0

There isn't anything in the cash shop that will make you win. But there is stuff in the cash shop that will allow you to advance faster, and XP death penalty negation potions.

Edited by scau

Posted

I had no interest in playing another MMO but I was given a 7day key from a family member and I did not like this game at all, after an hour or so I quit and said I would not play it. They next day I decided to give it a try and, after a few hours I started to understand the game and its mechanics better (no tutorials of any kind anywhere) and I liked it more and more. Now I have been playing just this game nonstop. Great game, hard to learn, must google a lot but definitely more involving than any other MMO ive played.

Id say most of the negativity from other people are from people who either didn't give it a chance, or are too in love with the crap mechanics of other MMOs that they cant accept any change.

Pretty much this^^^^

There is a lot to take in at first and it's easy to feel totally overwealmed until you figure things out. 

It has a tptally different "flavor" than any other game I've played and has its flaws but I am seriously having a blast playing. 

Posted

There isn't anything in the cash shop that will make you win. But there is stuff in the cash shop that will allow you to advance faster, and XP death penalty negation potions.

You know you can do those things without paying money right?

Posted (edited)

You know you can do those things without paying money right?

Not everything. As for the potions, you get at most one of them every 5 days if you spend all your loyalty for them.

Edited by scau

Posted

Not everything. As for the potions, you get at most one of them every 5 days if you spend all your loyalty for them.

but you dont pay for them real money

Posted

ArchAge PVP -----s this but it's p2w....so yup. 

Posted

As title says.

Also, is there skill resets like in Archeage or ill have to look up builds for what i wanna play so i dont screw myself and have to start over?

Edit: Also im wondering which class to choose, both Witch and Valkyrie seem appealing to me, are they viable classes and what is their purpose in pvp?

Valkyrie is my class of choice. It counters essentially every class except warrior. Rangers and sorceresses are extremely popular right now and they cannot fight a valk 1v1. The downside is that Valks aren't going to kill anything with just one or two attacks, it is usually several combo's that take their toll on the enemy while they throw themselves impotently at your shield.

Also worth mentioning, black stones are love and black stones are life. Your first character will really REALLY suck because you won't have more than like 4-5 black stones. Just stick with it, hit 50 if you can and you start getting a lot more stones to bedazzle your gear with.