• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Grunils...Should I?

70 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello all,

Im a noob here, and im still low level (36)(I re-rolled 4 times between classes and looks.. so that's why im a slow lvler). I currently have +6 heve/zerath armor with +8 Yuria/Jubre. I know tomorrow when grunils hits, it's BiS for us, and i wanted some opinions/facts on if i should just save up to get grunils from the market since i have about 10 mil saved up (not much, but for my level it isnt bad). I was going to wait about a week or so to let the price fall slightly, then just buy 4 pieces and throw my existing armor stone into it... does this seem logical? thanks all.

Posted (edited)

There's upside and downside to Grunil. 

Upside:
- More crystal slots means more bonuses than Agerian. Hands down the better set if high level crystals are acquired.
- More damage bonuses than any other easily acquired set.

Downside:
- Harder to acquire (mostly early on, later it will be a lot easier to get). There's no vendor for it, it doesn't drop that often and it takes a bit of effort to craft.  So the cost of durability repairs will be high early on. Edit: I was wrong
- Reliance on crystals. You'll need to chase and invest in the best crystals to get true value out of your Grunil. Which also means that if you get PKed and lose crystals you could lose literally millions of silver as a result.
- Lower passive DP points than Agerian-Zereth or Heve-Zereth combo.

So most of those are money/silver concerns. If you have money to spare and don't mind having to sit at the AH for a bit, then it's obviously the better option of the two.

Edited by Maulkin
1 person likes this

Posted

personally i prefer 2 zereth the stamina is invaluable

Posted

Hey thanks guys, i really appreciate it

Posted

Upside:
- More crystal slots means more bonuses than Agerian. Hands down the better set if high level crystals are acquired.

Downside:
- Harder to acquire (mostly early on, later it will be a lot easier to get). There's no vendor for it, it doesn't drop that often and it takes a bit of effort to craft.  So the cost of durability repairs will be high early on.
- Reliance on crystals. You'll need to chase and invest in the best crystals to get true value out of your Grunil. Which also means that if you get PKed and lose crystals you could lose literally millions of silver as a result.

So most of those are money/silver concerns. If you have money to spare and don't mind having to sit at the AH for a bit, then it's obviously the better option of the two.

There is a vendor for it.

Posted (edited)

There is a vendor for it.

There is? I stand corrected then!

EDIT: Wait, is that from the vendor you trade tokens for armor?

Edited by Maulkin

Posted

You don't lose crystals on a PvP death unless bandit+ :o

Posted

There is? I stand corrected then!

EDIT: Wait, is that from the vendor you trade tokens for armor?

Amity.

Posted

All the KR vets I know say Grunil is hands down the better choice. It's also not difficult to get, as you can get it from the blacksmith amity vendor in Altinova.

Posted

Upside:

Downside:
- Harder to acquire (mostly early on, later it will be a lot easier to get). There's no vendor for it, it doesn't drop that often and it takes a bit of effort to craft.  So the cost of durability repairs will be high early on.

There is an Amity vendor for it so easy to get.

Not really relying on crystals as much as you think. Can run with under 1 mill worth of crystals and still cap cast speed and crit easily. The resist gems ill be using are another story.

Lower DP than heve? Heve can't be upgraded where Grunils can. The DP on Grunils will be much higher. The only benefit to zereth is the stam which isn't much when you are used to not having it to begin with. 

The pro's far outweigh any cons to this set. The only reason I would pass on it is if they dropped boss armors in without saying anything about it

Posted

What about niels!? Is it out yet?!

Posted

It's time to put down your KR terminology and learn the EN localizations.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I don't see how more gem slots means more bonuses if the Grunil pieces don't have  individual piece effects...

I.e. Agerian helmet has 25% resist + gem slot. Agerian gloves have 1cs+1as+gem.

Also, every piece has lower dp than Agerian/Zereth.

The one piece that has an advantage is the chest where you're trading gem slot (50hp over Agerian) for slight DP reduction.

I can see this as an obvious upgrade over Heve, but not necessarily Agerian/Zereth.

Edited by Ilst

Posted

I don't see how more gem slots means more bonuses if the Grunil pieces don't have  individual piece effects...

I.e. Agerian helmet has 25% resist + gem slot. Agerian gloves have 1cs+1as+gem.

Also, every piece has lower dp than Agerian/Zereth.

The one piece that has an advantage is the chest where you're trading gem slot (50hp over Agerian) for slight DP reduction.

I can see this as an obvious upgrade over Heve, but not necessarily Agerian/Zereth.

Grunil is more flexible and offers different bonuses. More importantly, as better crystals are released, Grunil grows stronger. For example, that 1AS+CS Agerian on gloves can become 1AS+CS+2Acc later for Grunil.

Agerian/Zareth                                     Grunil

Agerian helm is +15%                          Choose a helm crystal

Agerian gloves are 1AS+1CS              1AS+CS or 2CRIT or another crystal

Agerian chest is 50hp                          100hp+20LT or another crystal

Zareth boots are 200 stamina             150 stamina or another crystal

Set is 100hp and 2AS+2CS                 150hp +7AP

+5DP        

Posted

If you like to PvP a lot and still starting out, you're probably better of with 3 pieces agerian/zereth shoes.

The high level crystals WILL break. Grunil is a real cash-grabber compared to the economy-friendly Agerian that is also cheaper to +15

But if you are filthy rich, Grunil is straight out better

Posted

I think if you're not that grinding PVP person, Grunils in the end are not that expensive to get. You either buy them from the vendor or from the marketplace. Getting some money when you have leveled up your skills isn't that hard when you know what to sell. Which is also easy by just looking at the marketplace, do trade routes or go fish in a nice spot. I still prefer the Agerian set with Zereth boots since they already have enchantments on them, and I'll wait until I finally have enough stones to make them at least evenly enchanted as the set I'm wearing now. I personally didn't get PK'd much, I die more from the mobs. Which is mostly my own fault. So if I actually used the tactics I know instead of blindly running on mobs alone, the crystals wouldn't break that much.

Posted

I kinda feel like grunil is not worth getting unless you start now. But i struggeling atm too if i should get it or not.

For a long run Boss armor will be the way to go and getting the gloves(i want this one so bad) will break up the most important set bonus.

Posted

To be honest, it depends if you can afford it. But if you're around +10 on your current pieces, I'd say scrap whatever armor you're wearing now, extract the stones and grab grunil; it's not that easily available yet, but give it a couple of days and you'll see it on the marketplace. The difference between Grunil and previous sets is massive, mostly because of flexibility via a bonus crystal slot; it also offers better base stats and will scale better with new crystals. The biggest advantage of Grunil set is that it can be preety much used on any character you have, without the need to change different pieces or swap expensive crystals; in other words, it makes twinking easier, too.

I'm still holding up, but I'll propably swap to Grunil, since my Agerian isn't maxed out and I swapped classes. Grunil seems like a lot better deal and we'll still have to wait a lot of time before boss armors become a thing.

Posted

To be honest, it depends if you can afford it. But if you're around +10 on your current pieces, I'd say scrap whatever armor you're wearing now, extract the stones and grab grunil; it's not that easily available yet, but give it a couple of days and you'll see it on the marketplace. The difference between Grunil and previous sets is massive, mostly because of flexibility via a bonus crystal slot; it also offers better base stats and will scale better with new crystals. The biggest advantage of Grunil set is that it can be preety much used on any character you have, without the need to change different pieces or swap expensive crystals; in other words, it makes twinking easier, too.

I'm still holding up, but I'll propably swap to Grunil, since my Agerian isn't maxed out and I swapped classes. Grunil seems like a lot better deal and we'll still have to wait a lot of time before boss armors become a thing.

i have chest at +13 and helm at +11, should I just extract and move to Grunil you mean?

Posted

i have chest at +13 and helm at +11, should I just extract and move to Grunil you mean?

Propably, since Grunil will give you a bigger advantage. The only people that propably won't switch (or don't want to) are the players, who already have their gear maxed out. Even then, you can expect the competitive players to switch regardless of their gear atm, simply because Grunil is better and in our competitive world it means it will make them better players as well.

The ammount of stones you get after extraction is random. After +7 you can get as much as 30 with higher enchants... or just a bunch. It's RNG, as usual.

Posted

ok, cheers

Posted (edited)

You don't lose crystals on a PvP death unless bandit+ :o

You can lose crystals if you get PKed

Propably, since Grunil will give you a bigger advantage. The only people that propably won't switch (or don't want to) are the players, who already have their gear maxed out. Even then, you can expect the competitive players to switch regardless of their gear atm, simply because Grunil is better and in our competitive world it means it will make them better players as well.

The ammount of stones you get after extraction is random. After +7 you can get as much as 30 with higher enchants... or just a bunch. It's RNG, as usual.

Regarding the bold, the players that were already maxed out Agerian/Zereth and with a burgeoning account balance will be skipping Grunil altogether and going straight for boss armor from what I hear. Save the money for Memory Fragments instead. At least 1-2 in my guild plan to do so. Can't obviously speak for everyone :D

There is an Amity vendor for it so easy to get.

Not really relying on crystals as much as you think. Can run with under 1 mill worth of crystals and still cap cast speed and crit easily. The resist gems ill be using are another story.

Lower DP than heve? Heve can't be upgraded where Grunils can. The DP on Grunils will be much higher. The only benefit to zereth is the stam which isn't much when you are used to not having it to begin with. 

The pro's far outweigh any cons to this set. The only reason I would pass on it is if they dropped boss armors in without saying anything about it

Yes there is an amity vendor indeed! None of the guides had him in for whatever reason, but he's the blacksmith next to the skill instructor in central Altinova market.

From my POV as a Sorc, If you run cheap gems then you don't really get much benefit over what the Agerian/Zereth combo already provides. You just cap the stats with your Grunil which you can already do with Agerian/Zereth and you trade the 5 more DP with A/Z for the extra AP of Grunil. Is that alone worth spending all that silver/time?

If you spend 20+ million (~10m is just the durability repairs) and considerable time in the Amity game to get a new set that gets benefit from crystals, then you put the best crystals in the game in or otherwise don't bother. That's my take on it.

And yes Heve only stays green, that was my bad including it in the DP comparison. Only people considering running 2 Heve will be rangers anyway for the HP bonus. 

Grunil = Neil Tree.

That's just the name they gave to EU/NA translations.

Edited by Maulkin

Posted

Grunil is more flexible and offers different bonuses. More importantly, as better crystals are released, Grunil grows stronger. For example, that 1AS+CS Agerian on gloves can become 1AS+CS+2Acc later for Grunil.

Agerian/Zareth                                     Grunil

Agerian helm is +15%                          Choose a helm crystal

Agerian gloves are 1AS+1CS              1AS+CS or 2CRIT or another crystal

Agerian chest is 50hp                          100hp+20LT or another crystal

Zareth boots are 200 stamina             150 stamina or another crystal

Set is 100hp and 2AS+2CS                 150hp +7AP

+5DP        

But I know I will be using this armor on a Sorc and I know what stats I need to priotitize.

This summarizes the end difference after genming for needed stats: https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/4ckppu/why_should_i_use_grunil_over_agerian_and_kzarka/?sort=new

So if I stay with Agerian/Talis, its -100hp -5%kd resist, -7AP, +3DP, +1 AS or CS, +1 free gem slot

Posted

But I know I will be using this armor on a Sorc and I know what stats I need to priotitize.

This summarizes the end difference after genming for needed stats: https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/4ckppu/why_should_i_use_grunil_over_agerian_and_kzarka/?sort=new

So if I stay with Agerian/Talis, its -100hp -5%kd resist, -7AP, +3DP, +1 AS or CS, +1 free gem slot

The build you are comparing assumes two things i don't agree with, not in Grunils favor either. First, that you want attack speed and second that you need to hit 5 crit when 4 is the magic number. It also ignores the existence of better, future crystals.

Posted

I didn't go all out on my previous armor set in order to save ressources for grunil.

The reason I don't like mixed sets is that if at any point i'll get my first boss item it will break some bonus.
Unless you plan to achieve a full boss armor set asap I think it's worth going 4/4 grunil

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0