• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mismatched Display Settings (Full Screen and Windowed Mode)

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just wanted to start off by saying I've checked all over the other forum posts and am aware of the fact the "windowed" and "borderless window" modes come with a 60 FPS lock. I am also aware that you need to turn off V-Sync in the NVIDIA control panel. This is a problem that has risen from the latest Mediah patch.

It appears that the "Full Screen" mode no longer acts as a full screen game, but simply as a borderless windowed mode with the caveat of locked in cursor. I know there were prior issues with the refresh rate of monitors being set to 24hz, which I occasionally experienced.. But now it does not even appear to be entering full screen at all (which would be a simple but lazy fix to the prior problem, which only occurred in true full screen mode).

If anyone has figured out a fix, or if maybe I'm missing some config available, please let me know. Thanks!

EDIT: My relevant specs are as follows:

- 980Ti x2 SLI @ 1430MHz 

- ROG Swift G-SYNC monitor, 1440p@144Hz

- 6700K @ 4.40GHz

- 16GB RAM

To reiterate, I've only experienced this problem as of today. Prior to the patch I was able to run at full high quality settings @ 1440p and floated around 80-130 FPS (depending how much was going on in the scene)

EDIT 2: I suppose this was a quickly fixed issue, but hopefully this is able to help someone else eventually. It appears some kind of setting was not being refreshed correctly from the config menu. The two following edits have fixed the issue of "Full Screen" actually entering the proper "Full Screen." View the top of the window for the location of both files. Prior to editing these files, the values windowed=1 in GameOption.txt and WindowMode Value="FullScreenWindowed" were used, despite having "Full Screen" mode selected and confirmed, and the game properly exited.

fix1.PNG

fix2.PNG

Edited by Aero_
1 person likes this

Posted

Hi , the issue around refresh rate and full screen have been ongoing for some time, the game will always force the lowest refresh rate available upon entertaining full screen mode, as you are an SLI user such as my self you will then recognize that there so called solution of running full screen window mode is not a solution at all as it comes at a cost of poor SLI scaling compared with exclusive full screen mode.  

A simple work around i have used is to enable a custom resolution in the Nvida control panel, simple drop 1 of your native resolution test and if it works save it. For example my native resolution of 3440x1440 will only run at 50hz but if i enable a custom version with the resolution 3440x1439 i can get 100hz fullscreen, as the custom refresh rate only has a single timing associated with it the game will not be able to force a lower refresh rate and you will  now be able to play full screen with full SLI scaling and vsync on if you wish without issue . 

FYI : the reason for having to -1 of the native resolution is simply because Nvidia will not allow a custom resolution  that matches and already existing resolution 

Posted (edited)

That is a good, no-hassle quick-fix, and would recommend for someone who is not a huge nut when it comes to graphics. There is a more technical fix located on this post: http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/30947-fix-for-24hz-found-guide-inside/. Basically, you're deleting the multiple refresh rates for identical resolutions and keeping the correct aspect ratio down to the pixel. As a note, the first program moninfo is not required if you aren't playing on a TV.

Just as a note for clarification, the issue I was experiencing was in fact nothing to do with the existing refresh rate bug with the game. It was actually a simple bug (albeit having a very significant impact) with the game client not writing/executing the correct instructions for Borderless Windowed Mode vs. Full Screen Mode (thread title has been edited appropriately). It appears that somewhere at some point in the settings, the game mismatched "Full Screen" mode on the in-game settings as "Borderless Windowed" mode in the settings files in the screenshots above (note those settings had to be manually changed, despite the in-game menu saying "Full Screen"). This most likely happened from ALT+Tab'ing out of full screen and the settings were not updated properly or something similar. I posted the edits though because even after relaunching, restarting the computer, and deleting the version.dat file, the settings file was not refreshed. I suppose an easier fix for most "settings" based issues would be to delete all settings files and relaunch the game.

Edited by Aero_

Posted

Hi , the issue around refresh rate and full screen have been ongoing for some time, the game will always force the lowest refresh rate available upon entertaining full screen mode, as you are an SLI user such as my self you will then recognize that there so called solution of running full screen window mode is not a solution at all as it comes at a cost of poor SLI scaling compared with exclusive full screen mode.  

A simple work around i have used is to enable a custom resolution in the Nvida control panel, simple drop 1 of your native resolution test and if it works save it. For example my native resolution of 3440x1440 will only run at 50hz but if i enable a custom version with the resolution 3440x1439 i can get 100hz fullscreen, as the custom refresh rate only has a single timing associated with it the game will not be able to force a lower refresh rate and you will  now be able to play full screen with full SLI scaling and vsync on if you wish without issue . 

FYI : the reason for having to -1 of the native resolution is simply because Nvidia will not allow a custom resolution  that matches and already existing resolution 

I want a permanent fix for this issue. No workaround, no third party software - an actual fix by the company itself! It is major and i cant believe how few people only detect this.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0