• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

More Counter-Parts.

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Righto, though I am *sure* this has likely been said before, instead of going through a heap of forum threads, I had thought to make a new one, (apologies for those whom already have one up)

Biggest issue with the game; Gender Lock--Obviously with the Exceptions to Valkyrie and all as Lore wise it doe make sense. But here's my gripe.

Warrior/Valkyrie.

Wizard/Witch.

Sorceress/Nothing.

Tamer/Nothing.

Ranger/Nothing

Giant/Nothing.

So for Five Female classes there are Three Male ones. - if the Gender lock is going to stay, at least  release Counterparts for those with nothing: Ranger/Hunter, Sorceress/Sorcerer, Giant/Giantess? - With us in the EU/NA etc likely Getting Blader soon, with that we also get Plum which is a Fem Blader pretty much, then Ninja/Konichi etc. This however still leaves it Five to Seven, oh and with Dark Elf likely being Female only, you'd think we might be having a Male Elf? I mean sure you can make a human's ears pointy in customization but...really it's then just a Warrior with weird ears, not an Elf using a Bow, or with etc type of skills for PvE or PvP let alone RP.

So my suggestion, simple, if you've no plans to actually release the gender lock on a Class so that more freedom is available for..whatever X reason, then perhaps release an alternative model to the original like with Witch Wizard, as thinking from a pure Roleplaying perspective.

Not everyone likes to portray an old man IC, Wizard--gone.

Not everyone likes to be some hulking brute- Giant gone.

Leaves pretty much only the Warrior.--Though I know some Females have a gripe about not making their own characters look as old as intended, though I must say objectively it's easier to make a female look older, than a male look younger (if in case of a Wizard or the like)

So let's say like the *general* population whom RP, you wish a young Male to RP on, or at least quite young, well you get warrior or you get nothing. Where as to RP a young-mid Female?...oh..every female class? and then of course an older male, Men have...Wizard, while with a bit of tinkering Women are able to get every class. (This is to not say all women IRl pick to play females and vise versa) just a generalization of options available. So perhaps something can and likely should be done about this? not straight away as likely with the catch up content o match Korea, and etc etc----but soon? Sometime soon, as I for one and I know many others would appreciate being able to create a varied amount of characters as opposed to the general feeling of "Well...I can create one Male toon, as the other two don't suit me----but I can create Five different types of females so I'll make one of them.

And I know, MMO with skimpy clothing and desperate men with too much time + Men ERPing as two women whom portray  women IRL while not being, will *always* lead to more Females being made than Males cos "Hurr hurr bewbs" --this might give folks more of an incling to create a Male character from time to time, and thus not turn it into lesbian-rp-central by the fact there being 95% women toons to 5 % male toons. Though now I argue semantics, my original point; either un-gender lock in time, or make reasonable counterparts for those whom would like more diversity in the classes.

Addendum: Also why not add the ability to do with Women's Hair what could be doable with Male hair? Fem Toons can pretty much style it insanely while Men get.."You can wear your hair up, or down, long or short" and Women can pretty much do jsut about everything, I know sexualised content sells, naked women in skimpy underwear sells but...a little 'equality' in the stuff done would be great you know!

Edited by Commodore_Fury
8 people like this

Posted

+1 I agree with you.

Posted

I think there would be no harm in having both genders for all classes, but calling it the biggest issue this game has is straight out mental. It's something I wouldn't mind seeing once all the Real problems this game has have been fixed - in months, or years. And if it doesn't happen, ohwell, no impact on gameplay, almost no impact on RP-ers, also having genderlocked classes is something universally interesting for people to bring up when talking about the game, which is always a good thing.

Posted

While I feel valkyrie and warrior need alternate as well (they are vastly different classes) I do support the notion you are going for. The ratio of male to female classes needs to be addressed one way or another, having this permanent scale of more female than male classes is just silly and somewhat off putting, and just offering gender alts of earlier classes would easily wipe that clean and also address the issue of gender lock in the game. (it's still gender lock to a degree, but far less of an issue if you have decent enough alternatives to each playstyle on both gender fields)

Posted

Why does everyone talk about this as if it was something inherently negative? How does it affect you if there are more vaginas in a videogame than -----s? I honestly fail to see the point. I perfectly understand and agree with some feminism views about the oversexualization of women in videogames, but genderlocks have nothing to do with any kind of sexualization, in my mind. This just feels like a hard number crunching battle against the developers, a crusade to pressure them to comply to arbitrary rules of having to have exactly the same number of males and females, and once that would be accomplished, the SJW battle could continue by demanding more gay and transexual characters, and then where are my african calpheonians and hindu-elionians. And I don't mean to use SJW as derogative, I think social injustice is a thing worth talking about - it just is not represented in this game, at all. So please, enlighten me, I'm keeping an open mind.

Posted

From a Roleplaying perspective it is one of the biggest issues in the game and those are mostly your most loyal base of players. Other issues will certainly be addressed and this might not get any attention, hence why one could perceive it as the biggest issue to them. Calling it mental speaks more about you than the OP if I am perfectly honest with you. The gender lock itself is not inherently negative, however how it influences the Roleplay community is a negative effect (if you fail to see this, than I envy your bliss). If you want to Roleplay a certain age or a certain gender you are locked to a very small selection, even for a female it is very hard to make a character look old and not have the body of a supermodel in some form or fashion.

The OP was simply summing up his opinion and his experiences, how are the developers to know at all to what their player base is experiencing without these type of posts? There is no grand scheme or crusade against the developers and I would kindly over the poster above me a tinfoil hat as to how I feel about his post. I think I've answered most of his failing to see the point, if not I will sum it up: 3 male classes versus 5 female classes. Once Blader/Plum and Ninja/Konoichi are added this will be 5 versus 7, with those two it would be largely circumvented as it would leave a young man, or one in his prime in character open for 3 different classes. However this does not take away that there is no option for a male Elf, nor for a female Giant. A solution could be to offer some differing things in the character creation, allowing ears to be easier/better to be made into Elven ears, however most would still probably prefer the initial body to be an actual Elf. This has nothing to do with male/female ratio in the sense of sexism or their genitalia ratio, it is as simple as: For a male character, some choices are very, very limited.

Also on topic: I support this, although I am more than willing to accept nothing on the matter as it seems some new Dark Elven brothers might be joining the fray in the near future. *Crosses fingers for the possibility* 

Posted

I see, and I think I understand.

In that case, I'd offer a different solution that might actually be feasible to implement for the devs - some kinds of potions that transform you into the things you are missing. It was done in GW2 and I'm sure other MMO's. You could get your Old Man or Giantess Potion from the pearl shop or some RP merchant for cheap or expensive, limited or unlimited use, and it transforms you into whatever you want to roleplay. I think some system like this would be a much more reasonable approach than creating entire classes for no other purpose than the way they look.

I'm not suggesting to copy the GW2 system, but copy the GW2 system.

Posted

Hmmm a thought to perhaps +1 it alternatively; just more character faces would go a LONG WAY!

Give us 'default' younger faces for Wizards, or Older ones for Female Classes, you know? Just a few extra "Default faces" to play around with in the editor. would likely save alot of time most of the time.

Posted (edited)

I have been extremely annoyed at the fact that the gender equality in games is pretty much not there to begin with, with there being far more gender-locked female characters it frustrates me a fair bit.

It would be awesome if the developers would get onto this and maybe.. Just maybe ensure that there is a hell of a lot more variety.

I honestly believe that if the whole gender-lock would be removed completely. Way more people would in fact play this game and try it out, ontop of this I do know that a close friend of mine flat out refuses to play this game due to wizards being locked to scrawny old men with no way around it without having to make a witch that has an extremely weird chest that makes you think that their bones are loose or something.

Unlocking the gender-lock and adding more faces. Would be truly spectacular and it would just make the game EVEN better.

On a side-note towards Metemer. You can make your characters look whichever ethnicity you desire. If you have patience with the character creator and actually look up some pretty normal hindu features etcetera. It really isn't that difficult

Edited by Fenrichwulf

Posted

Why does everyone talk about this as if it was something inherently negative? How does it affect you if there are more vaginas in a videogame than -----s? I honestly fail to see the point. I perfectly understand and agree with some feminism views about the oversexualization of women in videogames, but genderlocks have nothing to do with any kind of sexualization, in my mind. This just feels like a hard number crunching battle against the developers, a crusade to pressure them to comply to arbitrary rules of having to have exactly the same number of males and females, and once that would be accomplished, the SJW battle could continue by demanding more gay and transexual characters, and then where are my african calpheonians and hindu-elionians. And I don't mean to use SJW as derogative, I think social injustice is a thing worth talking about - it just is not represented in this game, at all. So please, enlighten me, I'm keeping an open mind.

While on a first glance it might not seem that gender lock has anything to do with sexism or sexist beliefs, because locked or not a game would still have free reign over how they display said females, if you take a closer look at the patterns made by most gender locked mmos you start to realize the issue it introduces. Do you not find it odd that out of the eight classes we currently have in this game, how all the bruiser classes are male? Or that a majority of the magic and support classes are female? I find the issue with gender lock to mostly be about how restrictive playstyles wind up being, certain styles end up being placed with certain genders and it just develops into a pattern for that one category. Sure if a game was mindful of playstyles and class placement for each gender this issue could be averted, but in my experience that never happens. So then as more and more classes release the game just gradually builds up this large divide in playstyles between male and female options, which not only do I find very generic and tasteless, but also very limiting for players who want to play a preferred gender, because their options will always be limited to whatever set field of styles the game thought fit that single gender. 

Posted

It's not about the whole vagina issue fully - simply put, I am a Male IRL--I play Male toons because I Roleplay Male toons. Why? Because I'm not a Woman IRL so I can't get into te right mindframe of a Woman to RP a Woman, and the fact there are current only 3 (with blader 4) Male classes to 6 Female Ones means pretty much, I am locked in my choices to maybe 2 classes to RP on, as if I RP a Wizard I want to be able to say if that Wizard is young, and not instantly "Gandalf or gtfo" or maybe I want to play a Warrior that doesn't look like Justin Beiber? Hence why more faces would be good, and why for the male counterparts? or etc, simply because otherwise Me and mannnnny mannny people like me are so restricted in the class they play, specially if they RP or just can't get "into"the character because of the gender as it were,--well in short it'd make a great game perfect near-on.