• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

[Feeback] Upcoming Content too "High Fantasy?"

54 posts in this topic

Posted

Howdy Daum! 

First off, I just want to say that the game is great, and I love it. Easily the best MMO in a decade, and finally a nice step toward virtual world vs. video game!  

One thing I love about the world is how real it feels. It's a high fantasy setting, of course, but it feels more on the lower-end of that... at least visually. Sorta real, sorta gritty, sorts Tolkien-esque! I love that the character design and world design keep that in mind!

The other day, at the press conference, there was talk about the new content coming... the elf area, the naval stuff, the snow areas, and so on!

There was also talk about some new "horses" at tier 9... except they weren't really horses. What we saw in the slides was a unicorn, a "dark steed" and a pegasus.

http://www.inven.co.kr/webzine/news/?news=154184&site=black

I have a concern that these might me stepping to deep into the "high fantasy" category... I have no doubt they are going to be cool as anything, but I don't find myself playing Black Desert to feel "cool" - I find myself being inspired by the world, characters and story in more of a wondrous way!

So, if there's any feedback you can take back to the developers - it's that for me, these feel a little out of character for the Black Desert I know so far, and if they do exist... they should be *exceedingly* rare and hard to get. In other words, not every player... not even 10% of the players... maybe not even 1% should ever expect to have one. 

Just my opinion of course, but I love everything about the game... I'll be here until the servers go off and Black Desert 2 comes out! :)

I'd also be curious to hear what other fans have to say... 

i11112820680.thumb.jpg.3428476be97567135i12360804290.thumb.jpg.c08861c8f0f1a57b9

2 people like this

Posted

Meh? It's their game and they control the lore. I imagine it's just a flavour item designed for those who don't care about lore though. Every game out there does it.

Posted

I'm a witch that can summon meteors and create blizzards on a whim. . .  No I don't think this is to high fantasy.

12 people like this

Posted

childish shit. but koreans like it. Also they love to play female charakters. If u want a serious game this game isnt for you.

3 people like this

Posted

Has this even been released in Korea yet for Daum to be making comments on it to them? Don't think so, on top of which, the only things Daum pushes the devs for is game breaking fixes and cash grabs. So let's be real with our requests eh.

Posted (edited)

Why does everyone start this off with the generic "Great game, I love it" spiel? So unnecessary. Anywho, I mean they already have the angel outfit. So why not? With all the ridiculous shit already in game it's not that big a deal. Also if Witcher can have a Unicorn, so can Black Desert.

Edited by LordGaben

Posted

High fantasy this game is, I see Gandalfs running everywhere.  I hope they stick to high fantasy,becoz when I played Tera and saw a mini car sedan;  I quit.   

1 person likes this

Posted

Unicorn and Pegasus are an issue, but Goblins, Imps, Centaurs, Lamias, Harpies and all sort of other things aren't?

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Hmm, well I don't think it is too high fantasy these new tiers offer small things, the horse with wings doesn't even fly it slow falls to allow you to jump from high places.

PA so far has been doing everything Okay in my book I won't complain about something till I see it first hand. I liked the introduction of two completely different awakening types for the classes very similar it really makes them unique.

sNvuNTw.gif

Edited by Naoto

Posted

OP, I think your issue is how you perceive unicorns and pegasus (pegasi?). 

Posted

I love high fantasy and i cant wait for more ^_^

2 people like this

Posted

High fantasy this game is, I see Gandalfs running everywhere.  I hope they stick to high fantasy,becoz when I played Tera and saw a mini car sedan;  I quit.   

So I wasn't the only one.

Posted

As long as they keep flying mounts out of the game I don't really care.

1 person likes this

Posted

Sorry for being a little stupid but what means high fantasy exactly?

Posted

Unicorn and Pegasus are an issue, but Goblins, Imps, Centaurs, Lamias, Harpies and all sort of other things aren't?

Did you read anything I said?

childish shit. but koreans like it. Also they love to play female charakters. If u want a serious game this game isnt for you.

This stuff is out of character based on how the rest of the game is designed. Fact. Fact.

I don't want this to turn into another WoW... it's low-end high fantasy and this is going too far in the wrong direction.

SO I wanted to give feedback to take back to the developers.

Sorry for being a little stupid but what means high fantasy exactly?

A world with magic and dragons, basically. Low fantasy is absent those tropes.

But Black Desert plays it down quite a bit through world and character design, so I am disappointed to see it going in the unicorn direction. 

Posted

That you're bothered by it and that it shouldn't even be available for 1% of the playerbase. It also makes a lot of sense to develop something that only 1% of the players can use, not at all a waste of resources.

Posted (edited)

That you're bothered by it and that it shouldn't even be available for 1% of the playerbase. It also makes a lot of sense to develop something that only 1% of the players can use, not at all a waste of resources.

That's the core of design that made early MMOs popular... the fact that you really *couldn't* get something without total commitment, and even then, a lot of luck. That was a key driver in player motivation. These things should be that rare or even rarer. WoW is that way --> If you want guaranteed rewards and instant gratification.

I'm confident Pearl Abyss understands this.

Edited by Lethality

Posted

Thanks for the clarification.

So my opinion is as long as the mayority of content is low fantasy I'm happy.

While I can't see an army of dragon riders I don't mind seeing one unicorn here and a nagical zebra there.

1 person likes this

Posted

I get where you're coming from OP, but I doubt they will limit the content severely. At some point, probably later than sooner, more and more people will have these fancy new mounts.

I'd rather have those than any flying shizzles or even worse, riding on bears and other wonky animals instead.

1 person likes this

Posted

I get where you're coming from OP, but I doubt they will limit the content severely. At some point, probably later than sooner, more and more people will have these fancy new mounts.

I'd rather have those than any flying shizzles or even worse, riding on bears and other wonky animals instead.

So I take it you were not a fan of the two headed turtle??

Posted

Howdy Daum! 

First off, I just want to say that the game is great, and I love it. Easily the best MMO in a decade, and finally a nice step toward virtual world vs. video game!  

One thing I love about the world is how real it feels. It's a high fantasy setting, of course, but it feels more on the lower-end of that... at least visually. Sorta real, sorta gritty, sorts Tolkien-esque! I love that the character design and world design keep that in mind!

The other day, at the press conference, there was talk about the new content coming... the elf area, the naval stuff, the snow areas, and so on!

There was also talk about some new "horses" at tier 9... except they weren't really horses. What we saw in the slides was a unicorn, a "dark steed" and a pegasus.

http://www.inven.co.kr/webzine/news/?news=154184&site=black

I have a concern that these might me stepping to deep into the "high fantasy" category... I have no doubt they are going to be cool as anything, but I don't find myself playing Black Desert to feel "cool" - I find myself being inspired by the world, characters and story in more of a wondrous way!

So, if there's any feedback you can take back to the developers - it's that for me, these feel a little out of character for the Black Desert I know so far, and if they do exist... they should be *exceedingly* rare and hard to get. In other words, not every player... not even 10% of the players... maybe not even 1% should ever expect to have one. 

Just my opinion of course, but I love everything about the game... I'll be here until the servers go off and Black Desert 2 comes out! :)

I'd also be curious to hear what other fans have to say... 

i11112820680.thumb.jpg.3428476be97567135i12360804290.thumb.jpg.c08861c8f0f1a57b9

Dude they already started their fancy marketing campaign on that and you think anything we say can change it?

Posted

This stuff is out of character based on how the rest of the game is designed. Fact. Fact.

I don't want this to turn into another WoW... it's low-end high fantasy and this is going too far in the wrong direction.

But Black Desert plays it down quite a bit through world and character design, so I am disappointed to see it going in the unicorn direction. 

?

There is already a dragon. In saunil territory. If you pay attention to the story at all you see 'Jordine' summon it. Our ranger class is an elf, there are wizards summoning ice storms, lightening storms and meteors, another elf class incoming,

What you think this game is, and what it really is to the developers Pearl Abyss, may be different.

Posted

Why does everyone start this off with the generic "Great game, I love it" spiel? So unnecessary.

They do it because of childish posts like the following, that seem to think if you don't like one element of a game you should leave. It's tiresome and I wish there was a chat filter for the forums.

1 person likes this

Posted

hate to burst your bubble but we have dragons 

1 person likes this

Posted

They taking the Shai to Mediah!