• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

poll Who needs a lantern when it's night?

Do you feel like it's dark enough?   67 votes

1. 1. Do you feel like you even need a lantern at the moment?

• Yeah, I can barely see anything.
    • Depends, for now I'm only using it in caves and such.
    • No, I can see just fine.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello fellow BDO players from both EU and USA.

I have a question for you all, do we need lanterns?

I've only had to use it once, and that was in a cave. I feel like we should have a better reason to have it out, like a proper night time.

I've heard that the reason for it being so bright in the night right now is because of a glitch, and I really hope it's a glitch. Because, the game was announced (don't quote me on that, I've heard from others) to have darker nights here in the west.

Of course, it might be just some settings and such, but I've already configured my PC to be a bit darker (because I needed that in some other games), and I can still see just fine.

For me at least, it seems to be nearly as bright as the Alpha (haven't played it, compared with pictures).

Now, I've created a poll to see what other people are experiencing, and please show me your thoughts on this matter :)

Edited by BlazeDraicx

Posted

When I'm playing on optimization mode, it's decently bright at night, on medium qual it gets pretty dark.  I also have gamma at around -10% and contrast at 35% so it is pitch black for me at nights.  I always keep a lantern on me, and thank goodness we're getting oil from a daily reward (not that it was expensive by any means).

Posted

When I'm playing on optimization mode, it's decently bright at night, on medium qual it gets pretty dark.  I also have gamma at around -10% and contrast at 35% so it is pitch black for me at nights.  I always keep a lantern on me, and thank goodness we're getting oil from a daily reward (not that it was expensive by any means).

Is this on the US server? I've heard that they are different (no idea how, I'm pretty sure they're same, kinda).

I'm playing on the EU server Croxus, it looks like it's just as bright as the alpha. It's not even close to CB1 :(

Posted

I admit on day one I walked off a mile high cliff grinding for mobs... but then I removed the filter and paid more attention lol. There are very few dead drops in this game anyway.

Posted (edited)

The nights are like day time just more blueish lightning in the sky. dont remember when last time i had lantern in my inventory.

Edited by TRON
1 person likes this

Posted

For nights without any moonlight and thunder storms it's pitch black (Plus caves). Especially with great graphics. I don't use the lantern often, but when I do use it, I need it. 

Posted

The nights are like day time just more blueish lightning in the sky. dont remember when last time i had lantern in my inventory.

I agree. Do you think they'll fix that since they started giving us oil for our lantern when we login?

For nights without any moonlight and thunder storms it's pitch black (Plus caves). Especially with great graphics. I don't use the lantern often, but when I do use it, I need it. 

I've only needed it once, sadly, and that was in the cave when your black spirit get's a cape.

Posted

Haven't used a lantern at night since CBT2. Last time I used a lantern was in my old house in Velia because it was dark in the basement.

I'm surprised they added lantern oil to daily bonus. >.> Why? I just throw that out so it doesn't take up my inventory space. Completely useless since nights look like this:

2016-03-04_22152761_zps60gvrr2o.png2016-03-04_22149361_zpsu94oemi5.png2016-03-02_605122344_zpsitmusd7o.png2016-03-02_604845359_zpswdn2er4w.png

I'm playing on default settings btw, just High/Very High and filter- None.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Didn't they increase the night visibility at release? It was pitch black in the test periods without a lantern like there was no moon light.

Edited by Pinkeh

Posted

I need a lantern. I play on high graphics and can't see a thing. I was killing manes with a friend last night and we kept almost dying every time we aggroed an elite and didn't realize it. But maybe we're just bad. It's also hard for me to see mining/gathering nodes at night even with my gathering pug sometimes pinging nodes for me.

1 person likes this

Posted

Certain environments are clearly darker than others, certain players and certain hardware have more difficulty seeing at night or rendering the night. It's a good thing to have lanterns, but the problem is that they're bugged and consume oil even when not used.

2 people like this

Posted

but the problem is that they're bugged and consume oil even when not used.

This is something that bothers me as well. I've seen that it's a bug that the nights aren't as dark for some but I still hope they fix it soon. 

Posted

Yeh and its Kinda Sad Night time Should be Scary As Hell. arma32013-07-2715-34-ieayr.jpg THis is Atleast How Dark it Should be at Night without a full moon

Posted

To the person above me, arma3 is a really, REALLY bad example, the way bdo shows things kinda makes sense cause of the lack of light pollution it would pretty much be like that at night.

The game offers ways to adjust the brightness of nights the way you want it to and there are a couple of shaders that affect the night time. I personally feel its good the way it is, I enjoy sitting on a rooftop and enjoying the night sky and taking some great pictures.

oVdqSi9.png

YCrrY2O.png

I personally believe it should be open to players choice weather or not they want to use lanterns or not. I personally have my settings in such a way that I need them in caves and such but not out in the open, and I like it that way. The nights are not supposed to be creepy unless you want it to, I prefer the calmth, the feeling that everything of the hectic day is calming down and everything's slowly going to sleep.

Posted

I need a lantern. I play on high graphics and can't see a thing. I was killing manes with a friend last night and we kept almost dying every time we aggroed an elite and didn't realize it. But maybe we're just bad. It's also hard for me to see mining/gathering nodes at night even with my gathering pug sometimes pinging nodes for me.

Hehe, I play on max settings myself, but the night appears to be bugged. It's as bright as Vix has it in the pictures above. Looks around the same as the Alpha release of the game.

Posted

Hehe, I play on max settings myself, but the night appears to be bugged. It's as bright as Vix has it in the pictures above. Looks around the same as the Alpha release of the game.

Try toying with the shaders and the brightness settings.

Posted

To the person above me, arma3 is a really, REALLY bad example, the way bdo shows things kinda makes sense cause of the lack of light pollution it would pretty much be like that at night.

The game offers ways to adjust the brightness of nights the way you want it to and there are a couple of shaders that affect the night time. I personally feel its good the way it is, I enjoy sitting on a rooftop and enjoying the night sky and taking some great pictures.

oVdqSi9.png

YCrrY2O.png

I personally believe it should be open to players choice weather or not they want to use lanterns or not. I personally have my settings in such a way that I need them in caves and such but not out in the open, and I like it that way. The nights are not supposed to be creepy unless you want it to, I prefer the calmth, the feeling that everything of the hectic day is calming down and everything's slowly going to sleep.

It looks like the ground in your pictures are way darker than the air/sky, looks quite unnatural (I'm not trying to be rude). The first picture of your looks a lot better. Then again, compare your pictures to Vix's pictures, and her/his night seems a lot brighter than yours. A good way of showing that the night has bugged out for a lot of players.

My game seems just as bright as Vix's game, and it bothers me because I've already changed my pc default brightness and gamma a long time ago and made it a lot darker. It's definitely a bug.

Posted

It looks like the ground in your pictures are way darker than the air/sky, looks quite unnatural (I'm not trying to be rude). The first picture of your looks a lot better. Then again, compare your pictures to Vix's pictures, and her/his night seems a lot brighter than yours. A good way of showing that the night has bugged out for a lot of players.

My game seems just as bright as Vix's game, and it bothers me because I've already changed my pc default brightness and gamma a long time ago and made it a lot darker. It's definitely a bug.

Its not really a "bug" but the default settings are just bright, the two settings were just me toying with the shader settings and the game's settings, it might take a bit to get it right but just play around with it and see where you like it :)

Posted

Night is like endless sunset in this game.

Posted

Its not really a "bug" but the default settings are just bright, the two settings were just me toying with the shader settings and the game's settings, it might take a bit to get it right but just play around with it and see where you like it :)

I'm going to go in-game and try doing some magic, I hope you're right. As a Norwegian (It can get quite dark and cold here), it kinda breaks the immersion to have a lantern, and not use it. Also, as a person who reads a lot of science and facts, it's quite interesting how monsters gets stronger in the night :D

Posted

I'm going to go in-game and try doing some magic, I hope you're right. As a Norwegian (It can get quite dark and cold here), it kinda breaks the immersion to have a lantern, and not use it. Also, as a person who reads a lot of science and facts, it's quite interesting how monsters gets stronger in the night :D

Probably because they're creatures that hunt at night and have their bodies adjusted to night times, Some animals are nocturnal and hunt at night because they can see better and are better of hunting at night since other weaker animals have worse night vision and senses. Night time also makes things more quiet and you'd be able to hear things better so that would be a help too. So that's a possible explanation, monsters are nocturnal and have limited senses during the day because the sun burns ;)

Posted (edited)

Probably because they're creatures that hunt at night and have their bodies adjusted to night times, Some animals are nocturnal and hunt at night because they can see better and are better of hunting at night since other weaker animals have worse night vision and senses. Night time also makes things more quiet and you'd be able to hear things better so that would be a help too. So that's a possible explanation, monsters are nocturnal and have limited senses during the day because the sun burns ;)

I didn't need an explanation for that, I know these things myself. I only said that it was interesting, and what you mentioned is quite a logical thing to think :P

I enjoy the fact that monsters get stronger and faster at night, it makes it more challenging. I tend to get one hit killed if I'm not careful at night, wopsie :)

EDIT; Don't worry, I'm not trying to start a fight, I only think you misunderstood my sentence a little, which isn't a problem at all :P

Edited by BlazeDraicx

Posted

I didn't need an explanation for that, I know these things myself. I only said that it was interesting, and what you mentioned is quite a logical thing to think :P

I enjoy the fact that monsters get stronger and faster at night, it makes it more challenging. I tend to get one hit killed if I'm not careful at night, wopsie

Everything in this game's design can be explained with a logical way if you have enough time, coffee and reference material ;)

Posted

Everything in this game's design can be explained with a logical way if you have enough time, coffee and reference material ;)

Indeed, the story(talking about the main quest) might not be the best, but it seems to have a lot of lore to it as well.

I like games like this where stuff can be explained with logic, it makes sense for my brain after all :D

Posted

I've never really needed to use one at night. Wish I did though give a bit more of a challenge.