• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Is the games population lowering ?

66 posts in this topic

Posted

I noticed there isnt as much people watching the live streams on twitch usually 30-100 max viewers compared to bns 200-300 viewer range was it a bad choice for black desert to go b2p compared to its f2p competition bns? Especially when the viewers are declining when its only 1 month compared to bns's steady 3 -4month ish

Posted

If bdo was f2p for us, it would have died within the first week. B2p means it's not likely to go pay to win, and as long as they don't allow pearl items to be sold for silver, it never will. As for twitch viewers, I don't watch because I don't find anyone entertaining. 

Posted

Twitch views mean nothing at all dude, it's only natural it wouldn't have many views due to people atm just grinding for levels, you can ask anyone, it isn't very fun to watch someone sitting in 1 grinding spot for hours farming levels.

BDO is a game that isn't entertaining to watch but is very fun to play.

4 people like this

Posted

Ah I used twitch as a source of population because previous mmorpgs skyforge, aura kingdom, archeage twitch viewers declined as the online population did... Maybe we can put to fact that those games because extreemly p2w that contributed to the population decline.

Posted

Maybe we can put to fact that those games because extreemly p2w that contributed to the population decline.

Yep

Posted

When a game comes out it is expected to reach abnormally high twitch view counts as many people want to see what it's about before trying it. 

1 person likes this

Posted

TBH, I spend so much time in the game I cant watch people play. I've been looking for a good bdo podcast. Like runes of magic had.... hmmm

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Every MMO sheds players continuously during its' lifespan, with the biggest loss at launch. I remember reading one study on retention rates of F2P and it found by 30 days in, a F2P game will have lost 80% of the launch population from 30 days earlier.

With BDO being B2P, due to players having invested in the game they're more likely to stick around. We'll still be seeing the population shrink though, which is why it's so important for a MMO to be able to attract new players to replace the ones exiting.

Edited by scau
2 people like this

Posted

A lowering of the game's population is inevitable. 

Unless it declines rapidly then it becomes a problem

Posted (edited)

Twitch viewers = population...or server population rankings? that are still hitting crowded on all shards? Tbh though it'll see an influx again when it finally releases decent melee classes.

Edited by Dalriaden

Posted

I noticed there isnt as much people watching the live streams on twitch usually 30-100 max viewers compared to bns 200-300 viewer range was it a bad choice for black desert to go b2p compared to its f2p competition bns? Especially when the viewers are declining when its only 1 month compared to bns's steady 3 -4month ish

MMORPG's usually do start to lose players a few weeks after launch. Hopefully we can retain more players than we lose - that's often the ongoing battle.

Posted

Couldn't say whether the population is dropping or not, but I agree with this statement. By the nature of its varied class design and combat, BnS is certainly the more entertaining game to watch by far. That doesn't necessarily translate into being more fun to play. 

1 person likes this

Posted

MMOs are like golf. It takes a certain type of person to play and it's as boring as a very boring thing to watch.

Posted

I still watch BDO being streamed on Twitch but only from one streamer because he's funny. I don't care to watch just some guy play anything let alone something that can be a little boring to watch like BD.

Posted

Ah I used twitch as a source of population because previous mmorpgs skyforge, aura kingdom, archeage twitch viewers declined as the online population did... Maybe we can put to fact that those games because extreemly p2w that contributed to the population decline.

uh no, those games died because they were shitty pay 2 win games. Twitch means nothing. Majority of the people who watch twitch, don't watch for the game, they watch the personalities. 

Twitch is a terrible place to judge a game's population, it's just retarded period lol.

Posted

i dont understand why people would watch people playing an MMO really.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

You can't really compare Black Desert's Twitch viewership with Blade & Soul's. BnS is simply more fun to watch, because it's tailored for competitive PvP on an individual level that completely outclasses BDO. Then you have KR pros like Jaesung who have thousands of followers.

While I do think you can normally find some correlation between Twitch viewers and a game's population, I'd say BnS is the exception to this. I don't even play BnS anymore, and I still sometimes watch Jaesung play just because it's entertaining. Similarly, I'm awful at fighting games and rarely play them, but I love watching people play Guilty Gear on Twitch.

Edited by Kawaii Five-O
1 person likes this

Posted

Twitch views mean nothing at all dude, it's only natural it wouldn't have many views due to people atm just grinding for levels, you can ask anyone, it isn't very fun to watch someone sitting in 1 grinding spot for hours farming levels.

Correction, it's not fun to watch grinding, but BDO can be incredibly fun to watch otherwise.  Depends on the content creator and their imagination..

1 person likes this

Posted

I don't know why anybody would want to watch other people play BDO.  BnS I can sort of see if you're into 1v1 arena duels.  Games tailored for esports will have more viewers.  But if you watch BDO stream you'd be watching people run the trade routes, mixing up some drinks for their workers, grind some mobs for exp, bump into some random PvP in open world, maybe if you're lucky see some GvG go on.  Not all games are fun to watch.  Stuff that happen in BDO tend to be random in nature, so it's hard to tell when something exciting will happen or when an organic open world PvP come out of nowhere.  This kind of design is hard on viewership, but these are some of the reasons why people play this game.  I don't think average people have the time to watch others play BDO.

As for population now being lower than first couple of weeks after launch?  Most definitely.  But we still see plenty of people ingame, still have to hop to different channels when certain hunting grounds are taken.  Still got guilds doing GvG and judging by the forums plenty of people are still getting ganked while hunting.  We know a lot of people are simply chilling and waiting for Blader to come out.  When population gets too low to an unhealthy level, we'll have something to worry about.  Right now we aren't near that point.

1 person likes this

Posted

Probably because NCSoft actually contacted and actively interacted with live streamers as a marketing method. Then you have the good streamers, and the bad streamers. Those who speak and those who don't. Those who read chat and those who don't. And finally recognized streamers and those who stream in the hidden sections of twitch and pop into popular new releases once in a while for the follows.

I remember seeing some top twitch live streamers doing some B&S, for example: Sodapoppin.

Just because of that live streamer more than 10k people got to know about B&S, but if BDO is not doing their outreach right, then I don't blame those twitch numbers, I mean, look at Lol streams, that game is old, there's 70%+/- of the people watching the streams actually in-game and yet they contribute for it to be one of the top games on twitch. Same goes for CS, Smite, Minecraft, HearthStone, etc. And why is LoL so popular in twitch? Well, there are many reasons I can mention, though these are not all:

1. It's easy on one's system, so anyone can play it on pretty much any computer, allowing many more people into the game.
  2. It's competitive, like, really... competitive.
  3. There are many events and media supports them.
  4. Those who excel on this game, get the most numbers because there are people who want to learn techniques, this adds up to the twitch numbers, companies look at those numbers and finally partner with the streamer for advertising.

Disclaimer: This is nowhere a real statement, it's just how i see it. Take it with some sugar or salt, whatever you want, even ketchup.

Posted (edited)

Docgotgame pulls 800-1k  people alone when he plays BDO. Idk what you're viewing. Some streamers are getting paid to play BnS. No one is getting paid to play BDO.

Edited by LordGaben

Posted

This generation and their fascination with twitch.

I've already seen two games ruined because of the devs retarded focus on making everything oriented towards twitch streamers. I hope this game doesn't cater to them. I don't give a ----- if this game is boring to watch. It's meant to be played.

2 people like this

Posted

This generation and their fascination with twitch.

I've already seen two games ruined because of the devs retarded focus on making everything oriented towards twitch streamers. I hope this game doesn't cater to them. I don't give a ----- if this game is boring to watch. It's meant to be played.

True, but if giving away some free keys and limited edition items to streamers bring thousands of new customers into the game, then the answer is pretty obvious. That's what a lot of gaming companies are doing now.

Posted

The game is not dying at all.  Stream mean nothing; Above of this :People already watched the streamer as it was out in Korea.

Blade and soul is just (Soulstone online), crafting and gathering is dumb, quest are boring. For every single thing you need soulstone.

Black desert online as far much potentiel and won't die soon. you don't even need to worry