• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Fishing Hot Spots - What's the point?

140 posts in this topic

Posted

Why should I know what a max rod enchantment is?  They don't teach you that in game.  So I rephrase my question.  Why would I need a +10 when I can get the same fish from a hot spot.

You too need to reread my post, maybe I should find you a web link on making assumptions without actually reading.

So you just took a random number after the mediah rod, or assumed it was +15 like weapons? I dont tend to guess when i write a post but look up the facts before, to stop spreading false information, we have enough of that as it is.

Because with a mediah rod you got a BIGGER chance to get a coel fish(rare) for 125k, is you dont think thats worth it, get a steel rod. Thats the very reason i use that rod and the float. And yes it works on hotspots too, since they have the coel in the "loot tabel"

Posted

Fishing to me seems like a mechanic for people to catch up if I'm honest.

It gives people a chance to make money and participate in the game without actively having to be sat at their PC. Grinding yields far far more than fishing (but obviously you have to put in effort).

Fishing yields a decent amount but I wouldn't exactly consider it "Easy mode". However I do think hot spots should just move more often to mix it up and there should be more scattered around to stop people clumping together. Perhaps a rework is in order to also encourage exploring and make fishing more engaging, not sure on that one.

Thanks for adding some thought to the thread... all I had were some thoughts, not demands, not flames.  I appreciate more added thoughts.. that's all I intended was a discussion.  I'm out now, this is pointless... most people can't, or refuse to read.  I still love the game and I still think hot spots are trivial.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Take care everyone, more fish to catch, just got title #59 for fishing.

Posted

maybe people would have an easier time reading your topic if you spent more time focusing on the point you are trying to make and less time posting about how many titles you have, I dunno

Posted

So you just took a random number after the mediah rod, or assumed it was +15 like weapons? I dont tend to guess when i write a post but look up the facts before, to stop spreading false information, we have enough of that as it is.

Because with a mediah rod you got a BIGGER chance to get a coel fish(rare) for 125k, is you dont think thats worth it, get a steel rod. Thats the very reason i use that rod and the float. And yes it works on hotspots too, since they have the coel in the "loot tabel"

Actually I heard people taking about getting their rods to +15 so I went with that.  The number wasn't important, it was the principle that was.  And I can assure you that a +5 rod with a +3 float hasn't caught any more Coelacanths that I did with steel rods, honestly I think I have caught less, but that's a different subject and I never intend to start a "ZOMG Fishing rods don't work" thread.

Posted

Please point to where in the OP I demanded anything.  It was just an opinion, I specifically said I wasn't demanding anything.  Why can't people read?

I'd respectfully request that you reread my post as well.  Nowhere did I reference your prior statements.  I was simply stating an opinion.  Why can't people read? 

Posted

maybe people would have an easier time reading your topic if you spent more time focusing on the point you are trying to make and less time posting about how many titles you have, I dunno

Wow I saw a post from Kirsch and I smiled, then I read it and stopped.  First time that has happened... /frowns.  I thought it was pretty clear I put that in to emphasize the point that I didn't get my title from hot spotting and figured I needed proof since people decry everything.  I guess from now on I need to be wary of your posts too, how disappointing.

Posted

http://imgur.com/DqkMd0L

You cant use that rod if you aint artisan 1 or higher, same with the float. You can also catch that fish in hotspots.

Well, this is what i'm referring to. There have been quite a few people who have tested the rod and have seen no significant increase in catching Coel's over just fishing in a hotspot. I've caught quite a few of those at a hotspot with just a thick rod. At any rate, i still haven't seen anything to correct my misinformation.

Posted

Well, this is what i'm referring to. There have been quite a few people who have tested the rod and have seen no significant increase in catching Coel's over just fishing in a hotspot. I've caught quite a few of those at a hotspot with just a thick rod. At any rate, i still haven't seen anything to correct my misinformation.

People are feeling their play toy is being threatened and have gone on attack mode.  You're right, but you can't say anything like that because hot spots are everyone's baby.  Anyway I really am out, this was not the discussion I hope for... so much anger but that's how forums go.   Have a blessed day everyone and go fish your hot spots, I never said anyone should not be able to use them!

Posted

To actually calculate how much more you get, how efficient that rod is in general (hotspot or not, as long as the fish can be caught in the pool you are in) You would need a base of lets say 1000 of them, with and without the rod.  

So, making the effort to try and figure out this would take a long time, theres 4 outcomes here.

1. Tooltip is wrong on the rod.

2. It does not work.

3. It does work.

4. Tooltip is wrong on the fish.

Anyhow, for now we can only assume it works, or the devs did a horrible job in translation or coding.

Posted

The funny thing is, I never ever go to these hotspots that people post. You can find as good of a hotspot on your own and fish there faster as the resources are abundant.

I guess it's good for me as it keeps the crowd away hahaha.

Posted

Wow I saw a post from Kirsch and I smiled, then I read it and stopped.  First time that has happened... /frowns.  I thought it was pretty clear I put that in to emphasize the point that I didn't get my title from hot spotting and figured I needed proof since people decry everything.  I guess from now on I need to be wary of your posts too, how disappointing.

D; I have come to terms with the fact that I am gonna clash with everyone at some point, but this actually made me feel bad lol

it made sense to mention it in your OP but bringing it up again seemed uncouth. I am too quick to judge though, you make a lot of interesting and reasonable posts I should not be so quick to jump on 1 comment that rubs me the wrong way, sorry. maybe I am just perplexed that the Silent Princess is so outspoken :/

Posted

People are feeling their play toy is being threatened and have gone on attack mode.  You're right, but you can't say anything like that because hot spots are everyone's baby.  Anyway I really am out, this was not the discussion I hope for... so much anger but that's how forums go.   Have a blessed day everyone and go fish your hot spots, I never said anyone should not be able to use them!

Quite to the contrary, I don't feel "threatened" at all.  I'm no pro fisher.  Hell, I'm only Professional 3 and I generally don't hang out in the floating mess off the coast of Velia.  I find my own spots, or use the less populated spots found in the guides section of the forums. 

My concern is that too many people focus on criticizing how others play the game.   This is a GAME.  People are supposed to have FUN.  Restrictions don't fit well there. 

Posted

D; I have come to terms with the fact that I am gonna clash with everyone at some point, but this actually made me feel bad lol

it made sense to mention it in your OP but bringing it up again seemed uncouth. I am too quick to judge though, you make a lot of interesting and reasonable posts I should not be so quick to jump on 1 comment that rubs me the wrong way, sorry. maybe I am just perplexed that the Silent Princess is so outspoken :/

*hugs Kirsch* no harm done darling, I still love you!

I tried very hard to be clear in my OP, to say I wasn't accusing anyone of playing wrong and such.  That's why it go so long because I wanted to make sure nobody got offended.  That failed.  I just think the concept is trivial and unnecessary.  I admitted I use them sometimes (well not the HOT ones, the warm ones).  I think as long as they exist they should be used, silly not to.  I just love the fishing and hate seeing it marginalized.

And for those who missed it, being Master 4 only means I manual fish a lot, there is nothing special that comes with it.  It has no meaning, no buffs, nothing.  It doesn't mean I am better, just means I pushed more buttons to catch fish.

Posted (edited)

Okay so this is a really tough thread/topic.

First off, I should mention that there are tons of hotspots out there. I have found at least three undocumented hotspots, one that is a unique all-blue hotspot containing Pomfrets and Golden-Threads, and two hotspots of the John Dory, Grunt and Mao Mao types.

Upon doing a little bit of experimenting I found some interesting tidbits on how to locate a hotspot without just fishing every few meters and moving on. I plan to keep these to myself. However, it should be noted that even if I am able to find 20 new hotspots out in the sea, we come down to a simple problem that is the reason many hotspots are overcrowded: convenience.

So take a look at Velia, Iliya and Epheria's yellow hotspots. They're packed chock-full of boats and people. There's a very good reason for that: their turn-in times are sinfully low, and (potentially more important) they have storage nearby. Just a hop skip and jump to turn in your fish at a trader then you can drop off your silver at the storage. This is what is causing the spots to be so overcrowded; that is to say more people would push out further and thin out a bit if there was a way to do currency exchange at traders. But there isn't, and the better at the keyboard fishers understand that minimizing downtime is key to bringing in larger incomes. So even though I've found a few neat hotspots, none of them are truly viable because of how far away they are from storage.

I think when we get down to it, fishing fills the lack of "gold progression" that many players are seeking which BDO doesn't offer. I personally enjoy amassing large amounts of money in games, generally either by gathering or flipping the auction house. Because this game doesn't offer safeties in that regard, fishing is the safest and most reliable way to gather copious amounts of wealth rapidly. I've been enchanting the crap out of my gear and easily have the money to buy it. Just at a meager artisan 6 fishing - and from just fishing - I've easily brought in over 150 million silver. No amount of max level grinding node is going to sustain that level of income.

I had one idea, and that's to make higher levels of fishing yield a fish on a hook much faster if the area has not been overfished, and penalize the timer for areas that are fished a bit more often (speaking in abundant right now.) So a virgin spot which has never seen a cast might yield a hook in 10-15 seconds, whereas a Mao Mao spot that is still abundant might take 40-60 seconds, with an overfished exhausted spot taking as long as 90-120 seconds. That would either cause people to fan out or search for their own spots. It doesn't negatively effect afk fishing much, because long periods of afk can still fill a 192 inventory.

So this was a long post that will probably be blown over. What's all this to say? TL;DR: overloaded hotspots suck, they're just convenient. Fishing an abundant hotspot more rapidly but slightly farther away from a warehouse has the best turnaround. Fishing too far from a warehouse is a bad use of time. Hotspots are everywhere, people just follow the path of least resistance.

Edited by Sephina
1 person likes this

Posted

Quite to the contrary, I don't feel "threatened" at all.  I'm no pro fisher.  Hell, I'm only Professional 3 and I generally don't hang out in the floating mess off the coast of Velia.  I find my own spots, or use the less populated spots found in the guides section of the forums. 

My concern is that too many people focus on criticizing how others play the game.   This is a GAME.  People are supposed to have FUN.  Restrictions don't fit well there. 

You should have fun.  I don't need private hot spots but I'm glad you found a peaceful one to enjoy.  I didn't criticize anyone if you read the OP, I was careful not to.  I think the mechanic is silly, NOT the people using it.

Posted

To actually calculate how much more you get, how efficient that rod is in general (hotspot or not, as long as the fish can be caught in the pool you are in) You would need a base of lets say 1000 of them, with and without the rod.  

So, making the effort to try and figure out this would take a long time, theres 4 outcomes here.

1. Tooltip is wrong on the rod.

2. It does not work.

3. It does work.

4. Tooltip is wrong on the fish.

Anyhow, for now we can only assume it works, or the devs did a horrible job in translation or coding.

Correct. At any rate, i'm actually working myself up to upgrade the rod to test it myself since I don't want to rely on the observations of others. If there is a difference, then I don't care about hotspots. Like I said before, I don't care that everyone is using hotspots. Let them make the money. I only care if it trivializes the fishing skill. There "should" be a benefit to being an artisan fisher over a beginner (and perhaps there is). Anyone who says there should be no difference is just being silly imo. 

Xaio, it sounds like you are already an artisan. If you believe there is a difference then i'll also get up there and see for myself. 

Posted

And for those who missed it, being Master 4 only means I manual fish a lot, there is nothing special that comes with it.  It has no meaning, no buffs, nothing.  It doesn't mean I am better, just means I pushed more buttons to catch fish.

Others, and myself have noticed that higher profession skill in fishing actually, makes you push less keys on fishes (sometimes need 3 keys for a blue)

Posted

I'm wondering if you meant to quote me. I've never advocated for the removal of hotspots, and I don't believe that there has been any anger between the posts Xaio and I made. I simply advocate for a difference between a novice and an artisan. If it already exists then i'm wrong and my point is moot. 

Posted

D; I have come to terms with the fact that I am gonna clash with everyone at some point,

uh oh! *hides*

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm inclined to agree with you, though I've made bank farming as well so idk. I avoid HotSpots because I use fishing as an AFK filler and that many people would probably crash my PC, lol. But the points you bring up are quite valid IMO.

Posted (edited)

Why are these even in the game?  I'm a fisher (just hit Master 4) and I have spent some time at minor hot spots,have never been to the ones that are almost all gold... 50 ships in one small area makes me claustrophobic.  I also have 58 fishing titles so I have fished all over the place trying to find all species and get their titles... long way to go!

These hot spots, in my opinion, do a lot of damage to the game.  People that would be fighting monsters are fishing because it's "easy mode"... and not just a few people... tons.  People are clustered into tiny areas and the vast seas are empty except for the hot spots.  I just don't understand why this is necessary.

It also cheapens and trivializes fishing and fishing accomplishments.  Why would I ever need a +15 Mediah rod when I can go to a hot pot and catch many gold fish with a regular rod?  Why aren't there mining hot spots where every node gives gold ore (or whatever is the best)?  Why aren't there spots with 50 horses to tame at all times?

I get that they are in the game, I just wonder why and if we wouldn't be better off if they were gone.

I expect a lot of flack for this post so I want to be clear.  I am not suggesting that fishing at hot spots is cheating or exploiting.  I'm not saying people shouldn't use the existing game mechanic or that choosing to not use them makes someone a better person.  It's just my opinion (and Daum does not change things based on my opinion - so fear not!) that they are not necessary and fishing would be more fun and enjoyable if it required exploration to find the different fishes.  Maybe spots could randomly receive a buff, but there is plenty of money to be made from a regular fishing spot.  No, maybe not a million gold per hour, but fishing is a low risk endeavor.

Just some random thoughts while casting and catching.  If you disagree, that's fine, I don't have coding access so not to worry.

I'm with you. A similar thread i've started a few days ago in the german forums. 

I had the same through as you, as i got knowledge about the hotspots but meanwhile i can accept it as it is. But i feel kidded by afk fishers because they earn the same or more experience and money as active fishers.

I would suggest to lower the afk fishers exp to a very low level and grant more benefits to higher fishing ranks. maybe a huge exp boost for optaining a specific title. Other Life Skills like Cooking and Gathering do it also.

Edited by Nayo

Posted

I'm wondering if you meant to quote me. I've never advocated for the removal of hotspots, and I don't believe that there has been any anger between the posts Xaio and I made. I simply advocate for a difference between a novice and an artisan. If it already exists then i'm wrong and my point is moot. 

Actually I didn't really mean to focus on you.  There may be a tiny difference as was pointed out that sometimes you can catch a colored fish with less key strokes but from Professional to Artisan to Master I have noticed very little difference at all other than the number of people who pay the barkeep to find out where I am fishing.

Posted

Others, and myself have noticed that higher profession skill in fishing actually, makes you push less keys on fishes (sometimes need 3 keys for a blue)

Yeap, I've noticed this also. Ive gotten into master rank and now sometimes even 2 keys are needed for a blue. Same goes for yellows. If i remember correctly, it happened that a 4 or 5 sequence could yield one. Thats the only benefit I've seen so far from gaining rank >.<.

But now im obsessed with that last empty keystroke square that never gets filled lol. Has anybody  had full keystroke sequence to type yet? If yes, what did u get? :P

Posted (edited)

Yeap, I've noticed this also. Ive gotten into master rank and now sometimes even 2 keys are needed for a blue. Same goes for yellows. If i remember correctly, it happened that a 4 or 5 sequence could yield one. Thats the only benefit I've seen so far from gaining rank >.<.

But now im obsessed with that last empty keystroke square that never gets filled lol. Has anybody  had full keystroke sequence to type yet? If yes, what did u get? :P

I'm close to first master rank, and so far have noticed overall less junk/white fish on avg. Of course RNG is RNG though. Using mostly steel's/mediah rod + maple float.

Fishing from hotspot without tossing anything back or anything to make it look better than it is like most SC I see lol.

(While I understand OPwhat you are saying, and don't fully disagree. Just the way it is though wont change.)

BlackDesert32 2016-04-04 09-43-07-83.jpg

Edited by Gutted

Posted

coastal exhausted hotspots are really inefficient, let people fish there and make a couple of mil.  

AFK fishing really doesn't effect the ranks too much, the top fishers should afk fish constantly when they can't active.
Honestly a gold hotspot does more for the fishing community than it harms.  

1 person likes this