• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

knowledge Display Unacquired Monster Knowledge in Percentage

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I love fighting monsters in the game until I gain knowledge about them. This, in my opinion, is one of the funnest and most rewarding mechanics in the game. Not only is fighting itself already quite fun, but you are also rewarded with seeing a monster's energy bar and potentially with an increase of maximum energy. However, this mechanic also has its frustrating aspects. Some monsters only need to be killed one to three times before you gain knowledge on them, while others might need to be killed a hundred times. This in and of itself isn't a problem, but the uncertainty about this fact sure is. For example: You might find yourself in a situation where you're missing knowledge on just a single monster of a certain type and say to yourself "alright, will just do this one more monster, shouldn't take too long" and then one hour later you've finally gained that knowledge, because as it turned out, the missing monster was one of the few that actually take a hundred kills before revealing their knowledge. This is rather annoying and also frustrating, because sometimes it really feels like forever before a monster finally gives in and reveals its knowledge. Destroying hundreds of pig cages without having information on how many you have left to destroy really can get on your nerves. There doesn't seem to be any system to this, either. Like, you can't predict what kinds of monsters will take many kills and what kinds of monsters will take few kills before revealing their knowledge. Not only that, but monsters that take many kills before revealing their knowledge don't automatically result in the better knowledge. Some monsters might take a hundreds kills, just to give you some C knowledge, while other monsters take just one kill and immediately give you S knowledge. Even the strength of a monster doesn't seem to be a major factor in this equation. Some stronger monsters only give C knowledge, while some pathetically weak monsters give A or S knowledge.

Proposed solution:

My proposed solution is to simply add the percentage of knowledge acquired to the tooltip of a monster when hovering over it in your knowledge database. When you hover over unacquired monster knowledge in your database, it usually already shows you the name of that monster in a tooltip, anyways. This is a good thing in my opinion. Just expand that by adding a percentage after the name of that monster.

Example:

Imagine you have destroyed 50 Imp Pigpens. You open your knowledge database, navigate to the Imps (Serendia) category and find the entry ???????????. You hover over it with your mouse. In the current version of the game, it then opens a tooltip revealing the name of that monster, "Imp Pigpen". My proposed solution is to add a percentage to that name and make it read, for example, "Imp Pigpen 50%". Since the player already destroyed 50 Imp Pigpens, he would know "Since 50 Pigpens correspond to 50% of the knowledge on this monster, I need to destroy 50 more to acquire this knowledge". This would be very helpful in estimating how much time you need to acquire certain knowledge.

Thanks for reading.

2 people like this

Posted

That's now how mob knowledge work.  It's not "kill x and gain the knowledge" it's a random chance after every kill.  That's why it appears that different things require different amounts.

Posted

I think Shanseala is right. I would also be happy if the devs revealed these percentages, but I don't think they have enough of a reason to do that. Feels like a pretty minor convenience thing, really.

Posted (edited)

Honestly, I kind of like that it is a random chance. Yes, it requires more work, and can be annoying when that last piece of knowledge just won't seem to proc, but I still enjoy it, and honestly it keeps me grinding mobs and increasing my combat skills more than I would otherwise.

Completely agree that it is a fun aspect of the game.

Edited by Ethetun

Posted

That explains a lot. Still kinda annoying that often the least valuable knowledge takes the most time to obtain. At the very least, the chance of obtaining knowledge should be different the more valuable the knowledge is (S knowledge taking longer to obtain, while C knowledge being quicker to obtain). Also annoying when trying to obtain knowledge of rare monsters. For example: Getting knowledge from Fogan Fortunetellers took me forever since there are so few of them.

Posted

Very easy to overlook; but do not forget the jewelry you can purchase in the Pearl Shop.

For my Ranger I wear:

Ignis Hairband - Effect: Increased chance to gain knowledge

Ignis Ear Cuff - Effect: Increased chance to gain Advanced Knowledge

I have worn these since launch so it is very hard for me to vouch for their effects with/without.  If someone has recently added these it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on their effect.  I can say that when I get knowledge on a mob, the people in my guild do mention that my ranking tends to be higher.. generally, than what they get (ie many A's while they get smashed with C or B).  The chance of gaining knowledge.. I've never had any say something that indicates that I'm just ripping through and moving to the next; meaning that if I had to make a suggestion of one it would be the Ear Cuff.  That being said; you can always reset low knowledge in the Library of Calph. and wash/rinse/repeat til you get the S.

I would be interested to hear the thoughts of others regarding the items.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0