• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

A Male Counterpart for the future "Dark Elf" Class! [POLL]

Male "Dark Elf" Counterpart Questions!   1,722 votes

1. 1. Would you like for the "Dark Elf" class to have a male counterpart?

• Yes, I would like for there to be one.
    • No, I explicitly don't wish for there to be one.
    • I wouldn't care either way.
  2. 2. Would you, personally, play a "Dark Elf" male counterpart?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Maybe/Unsure.
  3. 3. If you would like the "Dark Elf" to have a male counterpart, which style would you prefer?

• An exact copy of the "Dark Elf" class.
    • Slightly different than the "Dark Elf" class, similar to Blader/Plum differences.
    • Different than the "Dark Elf" class but close, similar to Warrior/Valkyrie differences.
    • Don't care either way.
    • I don't want a male "Dark Elf" counterpart at all.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

225 posts in this topic

Posted

No go play warrior

3 people like this

Posted

No go play warrior

Okay, thanks for your opinion.

34 people like this

Posted

Okay, thanks for your opinion.

You're about 900000% more considerate than I am.
Rep Rep.

7 people like this

Posted (edited)

The imbalance of gender choices in this game is really ridiculous in general. If I wanted to play Scarlet Blade, I would do that. I came to BDO because it was advertised to me as a game where you can do anything, a game with wonderful sandbox qualities. Instead, I found that the mechanics have stripped away some very, very basic 101 MMO expectations - like having a balanced choice of things to do no matter what gender I made my character.

Edited by Mytheros
23 people like this

Posted

Still peeved females got a second elven class before males even got one. 

23 people like this

Posted

+1 support from me

(I am actually baffled there are some pople who voted no)

3 people like this

Posted

+1 tagging @CM_Tytyes too so we can get community managers to look at this thread and relay.

1 person likes this

Posted

I would personally love this. I really want to play as a Sorceress but I roleplay, and I'm not really comfortable roleplaying as a woman so this class would be yet another one I can't get in to.

3 people like this

Posted

Not so sure about #3. I would have to see how they play first. I worry that if they were to try to make the male counterpart too different he may end up playing more closely to warrior. However, people say males take more time to learn magic, and if the class has any magic-like abilities I don't want them to copy the class exactly if the male would have to be old. I think what I would like personally, is for both of the classes to use some sort of magic and play the same way while keeping the male young. If that would break the lore, then explain it like the two classes got their power suddenly from somewhere, no practice involved. In a sort of "he went to this shrine and a black cloud surrounded him. When he awoke he felt different" kind of way.

Posted (edited)

If Daum has said there will not be a male equivalent disregard 

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the Kunoichi revealed in a similar fashion. 

http://2p.com/35152438_1/Black-Desert-New-Ninja-Character-and-Terrifying-Monsters-in-the-Desert-Region-by-Wei.htm - Jul 18, 2015

http://2p.com/35738721_1/Will-The-Next-New-Character-in-Black-Desert-Be-Male-Ninja-by-Natalie-Kuhn.htm - Aug 17, 2015

Also didn't Daum say that the would start releasing classes in pairs. (Not sure they said this, if they didn't don't kill me, I have two donkeys and horse to live for :(

I think we should give it time before we start saying BDO = Tera

Anyway, 

I would love to see a male equivalent. 

Edited by Univra
5 people like this

Posted

Err dont forget the Wizard... Wizard, Blader, Ninja, Warrior.

Posted

I'd love to see a male counterpart with a lower focus on magic use.  But if they only release female, i'll play that.

From what they've said, the cost of allowing a female class to also be male (or vice versa) is nearly the same cost as creating an entirely new class.  That and them announcing somewhere that they make far more profit / character from female characters means it is likely to just be female and frankly I don't blame them

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

I left Tera for a reason, please dont turn this beautiful AAA game into a Tera/Scarlet Blade vulgar sex cash grab.

Edited by Trender
12 people like this

Posted

I don't care either way, voted as such.

Posted

I'd sacrifice all my characters to play this ^^^

4 people like this

Posted

Dark elf male should be totally different. A necromancer type ranged class.

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

I'd love to see a male counterpart with a lower focus on magic use.  But if they only release female, i'll play that.

From what they've said, the cost of allowing a female class to also be male (or vice versa) is nearly the same cost as creating an entirely new class.  That and them announcing somewhere that they make far more profit / character from female characters means it is likely to just be female and frankly I don't blame them

We appear to be opposites then, I would rather the male variant be more magically focused than the female one, if only because their has been enough focus on magical female classes as it is, they deserve more melee oriented classes, as do males deserve more mystical fighters. 

Edit : You should also disregard that rubbish response from the last PA Q&A, most of it is just vague/manipulative wordplay. Not doing gender alternates because it takes the same effort? What exactly have the last six classes been then? And they make more money from females when they give special treatment to that gender? Wow, what ever could it be that is causing players to play chicks when they get come with all these added benefits over males. 

Edited by quebae

Posted

You guys realize that Pearl Abyss does not prioritize the western market, right? They develop for their home base first-and-foremost, everything we get are just tweaks on that. I'm all for more options in my games, but at some point you have to realize the limitations of the system you're working inside. If you really want these male counterparts, you better try changing the minds of the Koreans, because until then it ain't happening.

7 people like this

Posted

I wouldn't play the male version, but that doesn't mean others wouldn't. So I pretty much don't care if they make one or not...

1 person likes this

Posted

I wouldn't play the male version, but that doesn't mean others wouldn't. So I pretty much don't care if they make one or not...

Same. It would be cool for those that wish to play male, but either way I'm fine with the outcome.

Posted

Not so sure about #3. I would have to see how they play first. I worry that if they were to try to make the male counterpart too different he may end up playing more closely to warrior. However, people say males take more time to learn magic, and if the class has any magic-like abilities I don't want them to copy the class exactly if the male would have to be old. I think what I would like personally, is for both of the classes to use some sort of magic and play the same way while keeping the male young. If that would break the lore, then explain it like the two classes got their power suddenly from somewhere, no practice involved. In a sort of "he went to this shrine and a black cloud surrounded him. When he awoke he felt different" kind of way.

That is actually fake lore from a fan story anyway. :D  Men can learn magic young in BDO's world.

If Daum has said there will not be a male equivalent disregard 

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the Kunoichi revealed in a similar fashion. 

http://2p.com/35152438_1/Black-Desert-New-Ninja-Character-and-Terrifying-Monsters-in-the-Desert-Region-by-Wei.htm - Jul 18, 2015

http://2p.com/35738721_1/Will-The-Next-New-Character-in-Black-Desert-Be-Male-Ninja-by-Natalie-Kuhn.htm - Aug 17, 2015

Also didn't Daum say that the would start releasing classes in pairs. (Not sure they said this, if they didn't don't kill me, I have two donkeys and horse to live for :(

I think we should give it time before we start saying BDO = Tera

Anyway, 

I would love to see a male equivalent. 

I agree!  They could very well have one planned, however I wanted to make sure that our opinion on the matter is known.  They didn't quite say that they'd keep releasing classes in pairs, but so far that's been the case.

Err dont forget the Wizard... Wizard, Blader, Ninja, Warrior.

A lot of people, including Koreans, are a little bummed that the wizard is forced to be older and don't like his look.  As I stated above, there are tons of young male wizards in the lore and around as NPCs, as well as plenty of male Sorcerers around Tarif.

I don't entirely buy it, honestly.  Balancing/coding takes time, a lot of time.  From a modeling/animation standpoint, I understand, but with everything else it makes no sense.

We appear to be opposites then, I would rather the male variant be more magically focused than the female one, if only because their has been enough focus on magical female classes as it is, they deserve more melee oriented classes, as do males deserve more mystical fighters. 

Edit : You should also disregard that rubbish response from the last PA Q&A, most of it is just vague/manipulative wordplay. Not doing gender alternates because it takes the same effort? What exactly have the last six classes been then? And they make more money from females when they give special treatment to that gender? Wow, what ever could it be that is causing players to play chicks when they get come with all these added benefits over males. 

I'd love to see him focus on magic use too!  I think it'd be great to get a male magic-focused class in here.  Like you said, there has been a major focus on magical female classes but not much for males except for Wizard.  Kind-of sad. :(

You guys realize that Pearl Abyss does not prioritize the western market, right? They develop for their home base first-and-foremost, everything we get are just tweaks on that. I'm all for more options in my games, but at some point you have to realize the limitations of the system you're working inside. If you really want these male counterparts, you better try changing the minds of the Koreans, because until then it ain't happening.

They've already created content that was released here first, as well have explicitly stated that some things may drop here first but then they may implement them in KR.  We made them a lot of money, and I'm glad that they acknowledge that and that they believe that our opinions matter.  There have already been a lot of changes for the West, and our opinions on these kinds of things are something that they consider now.

Same. It would be cool for those that wish to play male, but either way I'm fine with the outcome.

I'm actually in the same boat in that I'm probably going to be playing a female one.  But if there were a male one and he were sufficiently different to warrant me trying him out too, I'd play him as well!  Like I said earlier, more of a magic focus would be neat.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

This.. Also the part where most Koreans (and arguably most of the east) are not so picky about genderlocked classes. They care more about how the class performs, its overall aesthetics, if it brings anything new to the game. Even in those cases where we have similar classes for both genders, there are significant playstyle and skill differences between the two... Because that's what their key demographic cares about. The imagined plumbing that your character has between their legs only has implications for ERP, and even that is up for discussion.

Genderlocked classes is the norm for Korean MMOs. It's easier for them to make more, fully fleshed out, interesting classes rather than double up the amount of art assets for the sake of people who feel uncomfortable looking at a female on the screen for a few hours a day. Save your complaints for when VR has advanced to the point where we're jacked into the matrix and have to actually feel what our characters feel as they sprint around, bouncing everywhere (probably also the end of impossibly large breasted female game characters).

Edited by Burlsol
1 person likes this

Posted

I'd sacrifice all my characters to play this ^^^

-----, I didnt know I need that class.

Posted

personally nah we have plenty of upcoming classes to play along with dark elf male counterpart would be sort of a waste of time per say. personally would just keep it just as a female dark elf and get another male class like oh say dwarf two handed axe since the area that the dark elf will be coming from will be a mix  of dwarf elf and giants.