• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

A Male Counterpart for the future "Dark Elf" Class! [POLL]

Male "Dark Elf" Counterpart Questions!   1,722 votes

1. 1. Would you like for the "Dark Elf" class to have a male counterpart?

• Yes, I would like for there to be one.
    • No, I explicitly don't wish for there to be one.
    • I wouldn't care either way.
  2. 2. Would you, personally, play a "Dark Elf" male counterpart?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Maybe/Unsure.
  3. 3. If you would like the "Dark Elf" to have a male counterpart, which style would you prefer?

• An exact copy of the "Dark Elf" class.
    • Slightly different than the "Dark Elf" class, similar to Blader/Plum differences.
    • Different than the "Dark Elf" class but close, similar to Warrior/Valkyrie differences.
    • Don't care either way.
    • I don't want a male "Dark Elf" counterpart at all.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

225 posts in this topic

Posted

+1 support from me

(I am actually baffled there are some pople who voted no)

its the T&A man. :P

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Okay, I been following up and trying to keep up with as much information as I possibly can about this new race/Class coming to this game. I was told by a Korean streamer that Daum/Kak, was not implementing a male counterpart upon release of this class for whatever reason. I am hoping that this is not true since I have forsaken my Sorc to play a male character within the game (Just couldn't get into the Sorc because it was a female toon).

I hope they put in some male counterparts to this class in some form or fashion considering the amount of people interested in playing them as a "Male".

I'll keep a watch on this and hopefully get some information from the KR folks once it is in game.

Also, do they even take in threads and posts like this that  statistical information is shown in? 

Edited by Averdun
Addition

Posted

Okay, I been following up and trying to keep up with as much information as I possibly can about this new race/Class coming to this game. I was told by a Korean streamer that Daum/Kak, was not implementing a male counterpart upon release of this class for whatever reason. I am hoping that this is not true since I have forsaken my Sorc to play a male character within the game (Just couldn't get into the Sorc because it was a female toon).

I hope they put in some male counterparts to this class in some form or fashion considering the amount of people interested in playing them as a "Male".

I'll keep a watch on this and hopefully get some information from the KR folks once it is in game.

Also, do they even take in threads and posts like this that  statistical information is shown in? 

They stated so in an interview with dualshockers. They are thinking about having a male counterpart however. 

Posted

agree avatars for role players are themselves.. also just because you want to look at boobs and woman's ass' doesn't mean other woman or gay people do... bit ignorant... if people wanna play male they should be able to I'm not in support of gender locking classes... equal rights seems to come to mind 

wow, love how text is interpreted however anyone wants to. The entire thread is a "what is your opinion" thread, and for the record I've played PnP games since 1984 and almost always played a female and never once thought of my character as a representation of myself, thanks though.

I have a lot to say about what you casually threw into your reply, but it has nothing to do with the topic or intent of this thread so I'm not going to bother.  Daum is going to do what ever has historically shown will make them the most money in the least amount of time and effort, nothing anyone here says or does will change that.  

In video games that translates to a primarily female character base with just enough male characters to not lose too many of the rest of the world's population.  Most likely if we do get a male DE, it will be because someone who is making too much money at Daum wanted to play one, or thought it would generate millions in extra cash for their pocket, and not because any of the rest of the world asked for it.  (make sure you understand, this is the same for any male released race/class combos being later released as female)

Posted (edited)

Currently, a lot of the classes are female.  This fact isn't particularly a problem

Except it is. Especially when they don't have the promised male counterparts. I'd be fine with the genderlock if they gave us what they promised instead of just making up new classes.

Edited by Teacow
1 person likes this

Posted

Except it is. Especially when they don't have the promised male counterparts. I'd be fine with the genderlock if they gave us what they promised instead of just making up new classes.

Do you have a link for them promising anything? (just asking, no alternate agenda, I simply don't recall ever seeing that in writing or video interviews)  All I remember is them stating that it would take the same amount of work to create the opposite sex of an already created character as it would to create a new character and they would prefer to give us more new content then to simply change the sex of an existing character (emphasis mine on character vs. class/race, since that seems to be something confusing to PA and Daum)

Posted (edited)

Do you have a link for them promising anything

Give me a bit, I'll see if I can find it.  I know they said it somewhere. I'll dig it up if it's the last thing I do.

Edit: "Will the classes be gender-locked?"
"The classes will have balanced counterparts for each gender"

This was a long time ago but I was following the game since early development. They then later backpedaled on this statement, but I'm still trying to find exclusively where the developer themself said this.

Source:http://black-desert.com/faq/

I know they teased at a "male ranger" somewhere

Edit: Found the male ranger part from a trailer in 2013 https://youtu.be/SNFSw107MQs?t=3m34s

Edited by Teacow
1 person likes this

Posted

Give me a bit, I'll see if I can find it.  I know they said it somewhere. I'll dig it up if it's the last thing I do.

Edit: "Will the classes be gender-locked?"
"The classes will have balanced counterparts for each gender"

This was a long time ago but I was following the game since early development. They then later backpedaled on this statement, but I'm still trying to find exclusively where the developer themself said this.

Source:http://black-desert.com/faq/

I know they teased at a "male ranger" somewhere

Edit: Found the male ranger part from a trailer in 2013 https://youtu.be/SNFSw107MQs?t=3m34s

nice find!

Posted (edited)

nice find!

thank you. It's not only about this, though. In the early development of the game they had so many fantastic ideas that they ended up cutting out altogether, which was really disappointing for a lot of people, myself included. If you're interested on reading up on that, here's a very old interview:

http://black-desert.com/interviews/black-desert-com-interview-with-pearl-abyss/

All the changes the original promised game went through:

http://black-desert.com/articles/black-desert-how-we-were-expect-it-to-be-and-how-it-is-now/

Pretty sure they also promised player to player trading at first as well, rip to that

Edited by Teacow

Posted

yes on male (why not?)

no to playing one (male classes are boring to me)

yes to identical classes (just as many people get shafted here aswell, plums are terrible to their musa counter parts, basically forcing some people to have to choose the undisired gender for the better/more suited class anyway. 

Posted

Where is female Berserker???? :D

But yes, when the Dark Elf will arrive I will play it in male form. They said they will give us female first, because they already did it (or something similar) and they are considering making male Dark Elf after that. I think they made a mistake by not thinking through many elements of this game before they created it. There should me male and female option for every class, unless it's stated in lore, that its impossible because of some important reasons - Like no Berserker female class because woman of that race stay at home to clean and cook... LOL

Posted

Where is female Berserker???? :D

But yes, when the Dark Elf will arrive I will play it in male form. They said they will give us female first, because they already did it (or something similar) and they are considering making male Dark Elf after that. I think they made a mistake by not thinking through many elements of this game before they created it. There should me male and female option for every class, unless it's stated in lore, that its impossible because of some important reasons - Like no Berserker female class because woman of that race stay at home to clean and cook... LOL

wouldn't stop them from making a female giant playable...  doesn't have to be a berserker, could be a cook, or a house keeper class...

I feel like I am setting myself up for some bashing there, but @Mhumi said it first!

Seriously, we could get races with different class(es) per gender, even if not getting genders for each class per race...  That would fall under "new content" per PA's comment that they didn't want to spend development time recreating something they already created, just to add or remove boobs and a dress... (not a direct quote, before anyone complains!)

Posted

I hope they spend more time in the future on lore and polishing the world they already created. Like: where are female giants and children? Female dwarfs and children?

It would be fantastic to give more pressure on the story, and little stories from small NPC's.

And it would be good if they recreated intro video, because it has terrible resolution and it lacks new classes.

The class system is limitless, they can always make them more, and then suddenly there will be 47 classes and we will still want more! Because this game can get more and more awesome in time :D

Posted

Technically, Musa was meant to be Tamer's counterpart, and Wizard was meant to be Sorc's counterpart.  This is before they decided to make a female Musa/Wizard due to demand.  The only ones without intended counterparts are Ranger and Berserker.  Why they won't make a male sorc (or a male tamer, though that one's less sought after) is beyond me, but that's what they've decided to double down on.

Posted

Technically, Musa was meant to be Tamer's counterpart, and Wizard was meant to be Sorc's counterpart. 

really?? If that's the case though I wouldn't even call them counterparts when they're nothing alike ;;

Posted

really?? If that's the case though I wouldn't even call them counterparts when they're nothing alike ;;

Yep, lots of people agreed which is why we got the Maehwa and Witch.  Their original ideas of "counterparts" were..... well.  Take the same extremely basic concept and build a completely different class out of it.  "Person who uses magic" ended up being Sorc and Wiz.  "Far Easterner with a sword" ended up being Tamer and Musa.  They really aren't close enough to be considered counterparts by any measure of the word, so they changed what they went with and it's why we're stuck with what we are with the later-visited classes having counterparts, and the earlier classes (except for Warrior) not having them.

Posted

Yep, lots of people agreed which is why we got the Maehwa and Witch.  Their original ideas of "counterparts" were..... well.  Take the same extremely basic concept and build a completely different class out of it.  "Person who uses magic" ended up being Sorc and Wiz.  "Far Easterner with a sword" ended up being Tamer and Musa.  They really aren't close enough to be considered counterparts by any measure of the word, so they changed what they went with and it's why we're stuck with what we are with the later-visited classes having counterparts, and the earlier classes (except for Warrior) not having them.

Maevynn is Lord of lore and knowledge.

1 person likes this

Posted

Maevynn is Lord of lore and knowledge.

Agreed.

1 person likes this

Posted

You want a male dark elf? Just stick to your warrior and make the ears pointy. Solved. Don't ruin it for the rest of us. ¬¬

Posted (edited)

You want a male dark elf? Just stick to your warrior and make the ears pointy. Solved. Don't ruin it for the rest of us. ¬¬

What?  Nobody's asking for them to take out the female dark elf lol.  Just to make a male counterpart later on.

Edited by Maevynn

Posted

What?  Nobody's asking for them to take out the female dark elf lol.  Just to make a male counterpart later on.

Let's be real here though..do you think they'll go through with that idea? Just look at the AMOUNT of gears we get to use...a company that lazy-do you think they'll create male/female counterparts? GW2, Aion, Tera, Blade and Soul, FFXIV, etc. All of these games I've mentioned have many gears that you can equip without having to use cash shop. It shows that they value the diverse armors and they are willing to go through creating more content. But BDO? Don't count on it.

Posted (edited)

Let's be real here though..do you think they'll go through with that idea? Just look at the AMOUNT of gears we get to use...a company that lazy-do you think they'll create male/female counterparts? GW2, Aion, Tera, Blade and Soul, FFXIV, etc. All of these games I've mentioned have many gears that you can equip without having to use cash shop. It shows that they value the diverse armors and they are willing to go through creating more content. But BDO? Don't count on it.

Every single class after release has had a counterpart.  The Musa was originally intended to be the Tamer's counterpart, and the Wizard was intended to be the Sorc's counterpart.  The only one without an intended counterpart (before or after they changed up their ideas of what counterparts are) are the Ranger and Berserker.  Every single other class has one, it's not a stretch.

Edited by Maevynn

Posted

Every single class after release has had a counterpart.  The Musa was originally intended to be the Tamer's counterpart, and the Wizard was intended to be the Sorc's counterpart.  The only one without an intended counterpart (before or after they changed up their ideas of what counterparts are) are the Ranger and Berserker.  Every single other class has one, it's not a stretch.

Wizard is to Witch. Musa is to Maehwa. Warrior is to Valk. What about zerker? What about sorc? What about ranger? There are NO counterpart to these and who are you to assume that it was intended? The sorcerer's awakening came out before ranger so wouldn't it make sense that the devs would work on a developing the "counterpart" of the sorc first then the ranger later? The points you've made aren't consistent enough. I understand that you're pushing for an elven male class but you're not seeing the big picture here and instead you're pushing on for hope that you guys might get one. Have you travel the world in BDO? Do those elven npcs look male to you? It can just be that in this lore that the elves are females only just like how giants are males only. This is just an assumption on my part as well but it at-least have a bases instead of just a guess like yours.

But I won't entirely shoot the idea down...dark elves CAN be males..while forest elves are females. We'll end it with this. Good luck.

Posted (edited)

Wizard is to Witch. Musa is to Maehwa. Warrior is to Valk. What about zerker? What about sorc? What about ranger? There are NO counterpart to these and who are you to assume that it was intended? The sorcerer's awakening came out before ranger so wouldn't it make sense that the devs would work on a developing the "counterpart" of the sorc first then the ranger later? The points you've made aren't consistent enough. I understand that you're pushing for an elven male class but you're not seeing the big picture here and instead you're pushing on for hope that you guys might get one. Have you travel the world in BDO? Do those elven npcs look male to you? It can just be that in this lore that the elves are females only just like how giants are males only. This is just an assumption on my part as well but it at-least have a bases instead of just a guess like yours.

But I won't entirely shoot the idea down...dark elves CAN be males..while forest elves are females. We'll end it with this. Good luck.

They stated it a long time ago before the Alpha was even released that the Wizard and Sorc were considered to be counterparts, and that Musa/Tamer were considered to be counterparts.  This changed later on, but you can find it through old articles such as those on black-desert.com .  The Ranger also once had a counterpart who was later canned.  This all has complete evidence, but this isn't some discussion that I'd think I'd need to use sources considering it was commonly known.  There also is no lore that giants are male only and elves are female only.  In fact Orwen is noted to be significant because she's "half-elven", which wouldn't make sense if there aren't any full elves around.  There are also races which are noted to be female majority, such as Shai and Harpies.  It wouldn't be far-fetched to say that male elves are around, and are just rarer.  I have plenty of basis for believing what I do.

You don't get to say what's shot down and what isn't.  They're considering male dark elven counterparts, they've already told us they are.  They've also already told us that a male ranger counterpart was considered not just once, but twice.  The second time around he was too similar to their concept art of the dark elven class so they shelved him again.

I'm not just pushing some agenda here, it's just how it is: http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/09/11/black-desert-online-interview-pearl-abyss-talks-dark-elves-future-updates-fixes-and-much-more/

Giuseppe Nelva: A little while ago, you released the art for the new Dark Elf class. Is it going to be female-only?

Pearl Abyss: We are totally considering a male dark elf, but the female is ready, since the idea came up a while ago.

http://2p.com/511c936561fcf3436f8de66b_1/Black-Desert-Shared-More-Details-about-New-Class-Wizard.htm

The Wizard and Sorceress, these two distinct classes, will be gender-locked with different acting styles. There are no female wizard and sorcerer in game. Actually, Wizard and Sorceress are the same class in terms of using magic power to attack. PearlAbyss discerned that players should enjoy different gaming enjoyment with diverse classes rather than another gender and they took class specializations in the same way.

^ This was their old way of going about things before changing their tune. 

Edited by Maevynn

Posted

They stated it a long time ago before the Alpha was even released that the Wizard and Sorc were considered to be counterparts, and that Musa/Tamer were considered to be counterparts.  This changed later on, but you can find it through old articles such as those on black-desert.com .  The Ranger also once had a counterpart who was later canned.  This all has complete evidence, but this isn't some discussion that I'd think I'd need to use sources considering it was commonly known.  There also is no lore that giants are male only and elves are female only.  In fact Orwen is noted to be significant because she's "half-elven", which wouldn't make sense if there aren't any full elves around.  There are also races which are noted to be female majority, such as Shai and Harpies.  It wouldn't be far-fetched to say that male elves are around, and are just rarer.  I have plenty of basis for believing what I do.

You don't get to say what's shot down and what isn't.  They're considering male dark elven counterparts, they've already told us they are.  They've also already told us that a male ranger counterpart was considered not just once, but twice.  The second time around he was too similar to their concept art of the dark elven class so they shelved him again.

I'm not just pushing some agenda here, it's just how it is: http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/09/11/black-desert-online-interview-pearl-abyss-talks-dark-elves-future-updates-fixes-and-much-more/

http://2p.com/511c936561fcf3436f8de66b_1/Black-Desert-Shared-More-Details-about-New-Class-Wizard.htm

^ This was their old way of going about things before changing their tune. 

Like you said, they changed their tunes..which is the reason why I don't want to trust the Q&A. This is the reason why I found your points about the sorc and wizard to be invalid its because they threw out the witch class later on. I hope they continue to change their tunes and kill the male elf for eternity though. As long as they don't take the space of another female elf class then I don't care though. Have a dood elf if you want but just not before the new class.

I wasn't claiming that BD lore had only male giants and female elves, I only made a guess that that could be the case because I have yet to see a female giant or a male elf.