• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Is SSD really faster than the HDD for BDO?

70 posts in this topic

Posted

I finally got a new computer and I was wondering if I should install BDO on SSD and HDD. Is SSD really faster? Or is it only loading?

Thank you

Posted

It loads everything faster including windows if you're running windows from the SSD. So yes, you'll load BDO faster and see a vast improvement on an SSD.

Posted

Learn about them, it should be a quick read to give you a decent understanding.

Posted

It loads everything faster including windows if you're running windows from the SSD. So yes, you'll load BDO faster and see a vast improvement on an SSD.

Ok cool.

Learn about them, it should be a quick read to give you a decent understanding.

Thank you for your suggestion, Obviously I did a research and read about them. Just because the info says that SSD is faster, doesn't mean it is. I remember some debate them and some people think they're somewhat the same. 

Posted

It actually depends... Game that load everythings at start will run faster (more data can be sent by a SSD to the GPU), game that continuously load data won't see an increase (amount of data needed in continuous load is largely inferior)

And tis only data transfer to gpu that is increased, if any component bottleneck your system, a SSD will do notch.

1 person likes this

Posted

I finally got a new computer and I was wondering if I should install BDO on SSD and HDD. Is SSD really faster? Or is it only loading?

Thank you

did you happen to get a high quality Alienware?  If so it doesn't matter. Their proprietary tech allows any normal HDD to perform beyond the speeds of traditional SSD that one would get from an amazon or new egg

Posted

It actually depends... Game that load everythings at start will run faster (more data can be sent by a SSD to the GPU), game that continuously load data won't see an increase (amount of data needed in continuous load is largely inferior)

I am trying to understand the statement "Game that load everything at start". Are you saying at the windows start? Yes, I have seen some videos that actually show either drive doesn't make much difference.

Posted

You're gonna get faster rendering on an SSD for sure. Pretty much where you will see the biggest differences would be things like loading the game initially, switching in and out of character selection/creator, and transitioning indoors/outdoors. Since everything is seemless, the latter won't so much slow the game down as much as slow down the loading time of the objects in the room, as it pulls them from the HDD into memory. 

Will you see faster FPS? Nah. But it will certainly make a noticeable difference. 

Posted

And tis only data transfer to gpu that is increased, if any component bottleneck your system, a SSD will do notch.

But an SSD is a good upgrade all around, would you agree?

Posted

Eh, that's way to much of a blanket statement and it depends from game to game, some games which continuously load data run into problems on slower hard drives (fallout 4 being a prime example) that being said, in black desert the only difference i've noticed is faster load times and pop in being a little less noticeable since textures and models will load quicker. 

Posted

But an SSD is a good upgrade all around, would you agree?

Depends of what you want and need.

Someone like me need a lot of storage space (I fill a 1TB drive in 3 month), I have enough time for playing to have 10mn of loading by game, so I'll prefer naturally a HDD

Someone who don't have a lot of time to play, or simply dislike loading time, and don't use a lot of storage, would prefer a SSD.

Eh, that's way to much of a blanket statement and it depends from game to game, some games which continuously load data run into problems on slower hard drives (fallout 4 being a prime example) that being said, in black desert the only difference i've noticed is faster load times and pop in being a little less noticeable since textures and models will load quicker. 

Like I said, it depends :)

Posted (edited)

did you happen to get a high quality Alienware?  If so it doesn't matter. Their proprietary tech allows any normal HDD to perform beyond the speeds of traditional SSD that one would get from an amazon or new egg

High quality Alienware? Pff. They're just a rebranded Dell, now. Digital Storm is the best boutique designer PC these days... at least in terms of reasonable prices.

Edited by Tangiers

Posted

Depends of what you want and need.

Someone like me need a lot of storage space (I fill a 1TB drive in 3 month), I have enough time for playing to have 10mn of loading by game, so I'll prefer naturally a HDD

Someone who don't have a lot of time to play, or simply dislike loading time, and don't use a lot of storage, would prefer a SSD.

Like I said, it depends :)

I would actually recommend segregating your drives, ESPECIALLY if you are using an HDD. I can't imagine gaming off of an even partially full 1TB platter drive.

In general, smaller drives are cheaper, so I load up on a few. A small ~120 gig SSD for my OS. A 256 gig SSD for my games (later I upgraded and got a second one). And finally a 2TB platter for my data. All of this was much cheaper than a single 1TB SSD, at the time at least, and also allowed me to keep things separated. If I need to wipe my OS, my data and games are unaffected (I moved "Documents" to the data platter drive). If I need to do a massive data transfer from my Data HDD to something on the network, or a flash drive, my games are completely unaffected as well.

I would recommend that over a single large drive, especially an HDD drive, any day of the week.

1 person likes this

Posted

It will load faster significantly, but I would not recommend installing it on SSD, unless you have the storage to spare. You have to account for the fact that patches and new content will only make the file size bigger and with the limited space on an SSD you really have to prioritize what you want on it. I assume you want to atleast have some main programs you use and your OS on your SSD to make it boot up faster, and that already takes up quite a bit of space. I got adobe suite, OS, and BDO, on my SSD with 250GB and its already more than half over (might have crap lurking about).

Posted

Do you really see a lot difference on Pop in when you're playing with your SSD? A friend of mine did a little test, and the pop in seems almost the same actually.

It will load faster significantly, but I would not recommend installing it on SSD, unless you have the storage to spare. You have to account for the fact that patches and new content will only make the file size bigger and with the limited space on an SSD you really have to prioritize what you want on it. I assume you want to atleast have some main programs you use and your OS on your SSD to make it boot up faster, and that already takes up quite a bit of space. I got adobe suite, OS, and BDO, on my SSD with 250GB and its already more than half over (might have crap lurking about).

Actually you are right. I totally forgot about that. What is the size of BDO anyway? 

Posted

Do you really see a lot difference on Pop in when you're playing with your SSD? A friend of mine did a little test, and the pop in seems almost the same actually.

Actually you are right. I totally forgot about that. What is the size of BDO anyway? 

I just checked and its roughly 33GB.

Posted

I would actually recommend segregating your drives, ESPECIALLY if you are using an HDD. I can't imagine gaming off of an even partially full 1TB platter drive.

In general, smaller drives are cheaper, so I load up on a few. A small ~120 gig SSD for my OS. A 256 gig SSD for my games (later I upgraded and got a second one). And finally a 2TB platter for my data. All of this was much cheaper than a single 1TB SSD, at the time at least, and also allowed me to keep things separated. If I need to wipe my OS, my data and games are unaffected (I moved "Documents" to the data platter drive). If I need to do a massive data transfer from my Data HDD to something on the network, or a flash drive, my games are completely unaffected as well.

I would recommend that over a single large drive, especially an HDD drive, any day of the week.

Never heard of partitioning ? You have 1 tb drive, you make 2 partitions out of it (500 gb *2) and tada, you can format the first one and reinstall your windows on that first one.

You also didn't take into account that not everyone has the number of 3.5p/2.5p slots necessary to what you propose....

Posted

Never heard of partitioning ? You have 1 tb drive, you make 2 partitions out of it (500 gb *2) and tada, you can format the first one and reinstall your windows on that first one.

You also didn't take into account that not everyone has the number of 3.5p/2.5p slots necessary to what you propose....

Oh lawd lawd. Don't partition your gaming platter drive. :-P For real, you don't want to do that. I get it for data integrity, but your access speeds are going to get -----d and the lifespan of that drive will go to crap. Poor little platter arm will be flinging all over the place trying to grab data. Yeesh!

I can't think of a computer that doesn't at least have two. I mean, really, you would have to be trying to game on a small form factor case, and at that point you'd be better off (at least performance wise) using a laptop! 

So, yea, I did take both of those into account. I strongly recommend against the first, and can't really imagine the second being a big issue at all for anything but laptops

Posted

Thank you so much for everyone's input. Btw, I have i7 4.0Gz, and 16 RAM, and GTX 980. May be I should mentioned that earlier. lol.

I just checked and its roughly 33GB.

Oh, ok. Thank you. Hmmmm....May be I should invest on 250gb, because I only have 90gb left on SSD.

Posted

Oh lawd lawd. Don't partition your gaming platter drive. :-P For real, you don't want to do that. I get it for data integrity, but your access speeds are going to get -----d and the lifespan of that drive will go to crap. Poor little platter arm will be flinging all over the place trying to grab data. Yeesh!

I can't think of a computer that doesn't at least have two. I mean, really, you would have to be trying to game on a small form factor case, and at that point you'd be better off (at least performance wise) using a laptop! 

So, yea, I did take both of those into account. I strongly recommend against the first, and can't really imagine the second being a big issue at all for anything but laptops

*FACEPALM*

1. You don't have to buy a Razer/ROG/Alienware/.... to have a gaming capable laptop.
  2. A Gaming capable laptop doesn't necessarily have 2 3.5/2.5p slots.
  3. A 1 partition HDD, when having large capacity, will make you loose A FREAKING HUGE AMOUNT OF DATA in case of drive failure. A multi partitioned will always have parts salvageable
  4. A HDD that can't handle at least 2 partition reading is a PIECE OF CRAP! All middle range HDD now have enough reading speed to handle multi partitioned system while still providing a data speed enough FOR ALL GAMES IN THE MARKETS.

Now, that I vented a little. The choice of HDD or SSD is a matter of necessity and opinion, not everyone need a car to work, not everyone prefer the color blue.

Posted

It's hard to say i haven't recorded side by side or anything but going purely off memory, the big difference i noticed was NPC's in calpheon wouldn't stay as black silhouette's for as long that could be placebo effect though, pop-ins are terrible no matter what you do. 

Main reason i have BDO on my ssd is load times when switching between characters ect. 

Posted

Thank you

Let me break this down for you. Rendering is done by the GPU and has nothing to do with the the data repository. The game has no inherent loading screens other than initial start-up, as the majority of resources the game needs are loaded into RAM. This is where, and only where, you will see a noticeable increase in performance.

Loading the game on an SSD as compared to an HDD is not going to give you better game performance. If there were more loading instances, I would say absolutely, but don't go out of your way to do so.

Posted (edited)

It's hard to say i haven't recorded side by side or anything but going purely off memory, the big difference i noticed was NPC's in calpheon wouldn't stay as black silhouette's for as long that could be placebo effect though, pop-ins are terrible no matter what you do. 

Main reason i have BDO on my ssd is load times when switching between characters ect. 

Thank you for sharing your experience. 

Let me break this down for you. Rendering is done by the GPU and has nothing to do with the the data repository. The game has no inherent loading screens other than initial start-up, as the majority of resources the game needs are loaded into RAM. This is where, and only where, you will see a noticeable increase in performance.

Loading the game on an SSD as compared to an HDD is not going to give you better game performance. If there were more loading instances, I would say absolutely, but don't go out of your way to do so.

Thank you for your advice. Very good point.

Btw, has anyone tried to move from SSD to HDD or vise versa? Anything special to do for doing it?

Edited by mystical_odin

Posted

High quality Alienware? Pff. They're just a rebranded Dell, now. Digital Storm is the best boutique designer PC these days... at least in terms of reasonable prices.

Please don't speak on subjects you know nothing about. Dell owns Alienware, yes, they don't control the parts that go into the Alienware PC's.

Posted

HDD is soooo 2000s, we're not in the stone age anymore.. ssd n super fast internet.