• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Darker nights implementation

46 posts in this topic

Posted

I can see where desire for darker nights is coming from, but I find it hard to accept in its current implementation, here is why.

On a screenshot you see inside of a very dim house (Hidel 1-1) with some house lighting

This house is very dim during day time so you would not expect to loose any light during the night, in other words one would expect to be unaffected by day cycle while cooking inside this house. 

As you could see on the image UI become unusable for a couple of game hours due to day-night cycle INSIDE THE HOUSE with lighting fixtures. (lantern on the character would help a bit though)

I am guessing indoors / outdoors are not supported by the engine and therefore would be hard to fix ... but who knows

QAJMDva.png

Posted (edited)

I can see where desire for darker nights is coming from, but I find it hard to accept in its current implementation, here is why.

On a screenshot you see inside of a very dim house (Hidel 1-1) with some house lighting

This house is very dim during day time so you would not expect to loose any light during the night, in other words one would expect to be unaffected by day cycle while cooking inside this house. 

As you could see on the image UI become unusable for a couple of game hours due to day-night cycle INSIDE THE HOUSE with lighting fixtures. (lantern on the character would help a bit though)

I am guessing indoors / outdoors are not supported by the engine and therefore would be hard to fix ... but who knows

QAJMDva.png

I found lanterns to be undesirable even at night as well.

I guess if we keep these dark night some of the radius lighting gives off may need to be tweaked.

I'd like the lighting in the screenshot you posted to be a tad brighter.  Not too much but not too little either, clear enough to make out what you're seeing within the light's radius.

568046dab8fcb_2015-12-19_2986118487_-69_

Just like in this shot, there's actually a wall behind me a couple steps back yet the lantern doesn't give off a decent radius to even see it. Not even faintly.

Edited by Ainrehtea

Posted

It looks like they have made nights darker by simply using a post processing filter that lowers gamma, rather than adjusting light levels on light emitting objects. So essentially they just made literally everything on your screen look darker during the night time.

I'd imagine disabling post processing also stops the "darker nights" from happening

Posted

Is this due to the filter you're using perhaps? I didn't have this effect, though I also did not get a chance to do some shot taking, but my experience with 'darker nights' wasn't as negative as others are posting, but I turned off all filters because I didn't feel it enhanced anything on my end.

Posted

I liked darker nights as an idea at first. But after experiencing it myself. Its a no no. It actually ruins immersion rather than improve it. HAIR Glows like a motherfking super saiyan and Lanterns are pathetic. It does not help at all and its color is unnatural af. Running around town see these weird red glows from other players. WTF. at least make animations for lanterns. not just a stupid glow coming from player. But yea . it is way too dark to see anything. IMO it ruins the experience for me. I would log out everytime its night time. And has to wait till its daytime where i can actually see 

Posted

I found lanterns to be undesirable even at night as well.

I guess if we keep these dark night some of the radius lighting gives off may need to be tweaked.

I'd like the lighting in the screenshot you posted to be a tad brighter.  Not too much but not too little either, clear enough to make out what you're seeing within the light's radius.

568046dab8fcb_2015-12-19_2986118487_-69_

Just like in this shot, there's actually a wall behind me a couple steps back yet the lantern doesn't give off a decent radius to even see it. Not even faintly.

YEP +1111

Posted

Whatever solution is finally excepted they have to combat the ability of players to just max the gamma on their display and see like its daytime. This was a big problem in Rust until they worked out a proper fix. Regardless lighting particle effects should illuminate more than they currently do.

Posted

I agree that nights as they are now break the immersion more than help it

also I tried tweaking gamma and it helped for a few minutes, but than darker part of the night ended and everything got "overexposed" to the point that it was not usable due to white-out, so I guess it would prevent the easy no-night mode achieved via gamma correction

Posted

Afaik the point of the darker nights is to actually make lanterns useful. I won't deny though, I don't mind the concept of darker nights but they were way too dark in CBT1. Hopefully they'll find a nice balance for CBT2, if they decide to change it.

Posted

Ridiculously low lighting is a pain in the ass, immersion has it's limits for me. I'll turn up the gamma so i can play the game. I'm not spending hourse running around in the dark trying to do something.

Posted

I haven't had any bad experiences with these dark nights. Did you use any filters or ingame setting-filters? 

- Jeasy

Posted

Change the lanterns. Do not change the nights.

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

The way lighting currently works in certain situations is unacceptable. Lanterns need to be redone as actual items hanging from the player's belts and they should give a natural light radius, unaffected by any other natural lightning sources. What we currently have is nights too dark even when the full moon shines on the cloudless sky, characters glowing like oranges and certain areas beeing way too gloomy/dark even with light sources nearby. I'm all for immersion and "realism", but everything has it's limits.

Edited by Narcosis

Posted

Funism > Realism

Posted (edited)

I like the concept of it, but in its current state it's quite buggy and needs some tweaking.

Then again, that's what the beta test is for.

Edited by Edgelorde
1 person likes this

Posted

I saw a lot of people "complaining" about darker nights... I have no clue how they used to be but in cbt1 I loved em.  Added to immersion for me but maybe it was my computer? I did not adjust anything as far as vid settings for night play.  

I was really happy to see it as other games don't have it or if they do you cant really tell any difference from day to night.

Posted

I saw a lot of people "complaining" about darker nights... I have no clue how they used to be but in cbt1 I loved em.  Added to immersion for me but maybe it was my computer? I did not adjust anything as far as vid settings for night play.  

I was really happy to see it as other games don't have it or if they do you cant really tell any difference from day to night.

Darker nights are not bad, but they shouldn't be that dark, especially when there's a full moon and no clouds in the sky. Not to mention, there's something wrong with the engine that makes light-coloured hairs extremely glowy at night. My character has platinum/white blonde hair and it's like I'm basically my own lantern.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

You can say things look rather.."Dim". Pun intended, lets head on to the serious part.

The problem with nights isn't the night itself. The amount of lighting laterns and light emitting objects in general is TOO LOW or even NOT EXISTENT in some cases. I don't know how DAUMs engine works, but I have worked with Unreal 4 and the default lighting shaders are gorgeous. Would be great if DAUM achieved anything close to them. Now to the lighting while there's the moon visie, that too requires some improvement. Again, I don't know how thrir engine works, but it should be possible.

Edited by Dim

Posted

I haven't had any bad experiences with these dark nights. Did you use any filters or ingame setting-filters? 

- Jeasy

default game settings on a quality IPS monitor that was calibrated with i1pro spectrophotometer

it is bad only a couple of game night ours

if I wasn't playing wizard with chain lighting I would not be able to grind that part of the night, which I do not appreciate

Posted

default game settings on a quality IPS monitor that was calibrated with i1pro spectrophotometer

it is bad only a couple of game night ours

if I wasn't playing wizard with chain lighting I would not be able to grind that part of the night, which I do not appreciate

That's exactly the point of dark nights, you are SUPPOSED to NOT see.

Posted

They did change the dark nights in the korean and russian version (probably most people were fed up with this darkness after a while :P) I am playing right now on the russian server and i like it the way it is here. Its still dark at night but not as much as in the CBT1. I am still using lanterns, mostly for caves as it is rly dark down there :D I know many people want their dark night no matter what. But really how things were in the CBT1, it was just too much. Things devinitely should be fixed there.

Posted

That's exactly the point of dark nights, you are SUPPOSED to NOT see.

what am I supposed to do for 30 minutes when night comes?

what if i had only an hour RL to play that day? What if game night cuts my play time in half? At some point novelty will go away but annoyance would stay

btw, initial post was about too dark conditions in the house directly next to the light fixture, it is not supposed to be that way, IMHO

Posted

Increase lantern distance, decrease its redness, maybe make the darkest nights a little more bright just because in all honesty it usually doesn't get that dark outside my house (I live out in the middle of the countryside so there isn't a lot of light pollution) unless it's a completely overcast night.  The stars and moon create more light than they're given credit for.

Posted

My only real issue with the darker nights is that it scales with my monitor and it automatically scales the brightness so it's even DARKER in accordance with the darkness.

With that being said, I often found myself wanting the nighttime mode to be over with as soon as possible because it just got pretty dark.

2015-12-19_29260700[-31_-13_-1154].JPG

Posted (edited)

The darkness of the Darker Nights in CBT-1 was fine. The only issue was the light source, probably they use perfomance optimated dynamic lightning to be able to deliver to a broader consumer variety. It could depend on graphicsetting, didnt tested it tho. Things like Lanterns are not a prerendered lightning source, called "dynamic lightning" which also results in dynamic shadow, and these two things lying really heavy on perfomance. Not even talking about reflection...

Edited by wefl