• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Darker nights implementation

46 posts in this topic

Posted

I found lanterns to be undesirable even at night as well.

I guess if we keep these dark night some of the radius lighting gives off may need to be tweaked.

I'd like the lighting in the screenshot you posted to be a tad brighter.  Not too much but not too little either, clear enough to make out what you're seeing within the light's radius.

568046dab8fcb_2015-12-19_2986118487_-69_

Just like in this shot, there's actually a wall behind me a couple steps back yet the lantern doesn't give off a decent radius to even see it. Not even faintly.

are you a girl by chance? If yes or no could you go easier with the color. It hurts and is hard to read.

I agree on brighter lanterns though. Especially yellow and not red. I could live even without lantern but if theyre in the game, they should work properly

Posted

I really think the devs were testing this dark night on us live xD, among other weather effects.  Someone else pointed out there was differences all the time, from useless lanterns to ones lighting up really well.  Myself, the first storming night, I was by the ocean near some cliffs, it made my screen completely black, fell in the water and died of hypothermia cuz I couldn't see where I was swimming.  All other nights was fine, didn't need lantern, another was when the CM was on playing around with weather, got really dark but wasn't as bad as the first one.

Posted

The overall darkness was fine, even if the lanterns were completely useless. You could still see somewhat, but not nearly as far. Where things got crazy was when weather effects were running as well, making it even darker. Still, this wouldn't bother me if the damn lantern worked. 

Like Liqhtninq said though, it's also not setup properly. The strange glows and rave-like hair are annoying. The system breaks completely when it snows, lightening the entire night and putting god-fucking-awful glow/shine on everything. My tamer has dark red hair and turned into a highlighter dipped in oil.

Long story short, I love how dark it gets but they need to fix lanterns, hair, and shine.

Posted

Afaik the point of the darker nights is to actually make lanterns useful. I won't deny though, I don't mind the concept of darker nights but they were way too dark in CBT1. Hopefully they'll find a nice balance for CBT2, if they decide to change it.

+1

Posted

I'm assuming they implemented darker nights very recently and haven't had time to test out how much it will affect the current light sources. There's a whole bunch of issues with it but I'm pretty sure they're already working to fix most of this as we speak. Lanterns, indoor lights, and the glowing hair are definitely the biggest issues right now. There were also some dark areas where my character's skin completely lit up while his clothes were pitch black. So he was basically a floating head and arms. 2spooky

Other than that, it's still a great feature that should stay in the game.

Posted

are you a girl by chance? If yes or no could you go easier with the color. It hurts and is hard to read.

I agree on brighter lanterns though. Especially yellow and not red. I could live even without lantern but if theyre in the game, they should work properly

Better? It is not my intention to make your eyes bleed. I also could agree with a lighter tone of Yellow vs the Orange.

Maybe something like Dragon's Dogma?

Dragons-Dogma-08.jpeg

This is Dragon's Dogma lantern light.

I'd like to see lanterns look this good.

Posted

If they cant balance it, it needs to be removed.

Right now, the flaws greatly out weigh any Rp or immersion factor. Candles, lanterns other light sources do not illuminate in a believable way. Your hair glows like crazy, as someone else pointed out player characters are oddly illuminated in the distance.

in a nutshell, if this is being supported for "immersion" purposes, it needs to be removed if it cant be corrected because its introduced more immersion breaking flaws then positive traits.

Posted

Unfortunately, I was only one of like FOUR people who opposed Darker Nights in the first place. Now we're stuck with this hassle for the sake of  "immersion."

Enjoy broken BDO for 6 hours of in-game time every day cycle... That's what you guys wanted.

Posted

Unfortunately, I was only one of like FOUR people who opposed Darker Nights in the first place. Now we're stuck with this hassle for the sake of  "immersion."

Enjoy broken BDO for 6 hours of in-game time every day cycle... That's what you guys wanted.

All they need to do is brighten it by a fair amount and everything would be fine.

Posted

complete darkness always kills games like this.

Posted

you guys know all they did was raise/lower contrast by 10-30?

lol

They didn't really "do" anything.

Posted

Slightly buffed lanterns will do the trick. And lets be honest: how many 'dark nights' like the one in cbt will we have each month? 2? Cant be too bad, it helps with realism to me.

In RU version the lanterns are too much imo BUT, perhaps for a 'game' thats what we need. Can someone quote me, so I do not forget? Then, if I have time i ll put up some screens -or perhaps someone else who has been in RU can do so.

- Jeasy

Posted

Better? It is not my intention to make your eyes bleed. I also could agree with a lighter tone of Yellow vs the Orange.

Maybe something like Dragon's Dogma?

Dragons-Dogma-08.jpeg

This is Dragon's Dogma lantern light.

I'd like to see lanterns look this good.

dunno why you change color instead of black but yeah its much better now lol. 

Posted

what am I supposed to do for 30 minutes when night comes?

what if i had only an hour RL to play that day? What if game night cuts my play time in half? At some point novelty will go away but annoyance would stay

btw, initial post was about too dark conditions in the house directly next to the light fixture, it is not supposed to be that way, IMHO

change Channel... They have Different daytimes if it's the same as in cbt1 - fixed for your 1h daily

Posted

Heres the Russian night and lantern. Excuse me for the bad graphics - these were shot on my laptop instead of PC.

- Jeasy

1.jpg

2.jpg

Posted

Stronger lanterns is the way to go for my part.

Posted

My only real issue with the darker nights is that it scales with my monitor and it automatically scales the brightness so it's even DARKER in accordance with the darkness.

With that being said, I often found myself wanting the nighttime mode to be over with as soon as possible because it just got pretty dark.

2015-12-19_29260700[-31_-13_-1154].JPG

That looks amazing in my opinion. 

Posted

I liked the dark nights. I just didn't like the neon hair that came with it

Posted (edited)

I liked the dark nights. I just didn't like the neon hair that came with it

ya, theres just too many things this introduced that look  are buggy. If it cant be fixed its not going to be received well in NA/EU. it looks like poor quality.

and since we're on the subject, at least start players off with a lantern in their packs.

Edited by Grimsley

Posted

I had only two small issues with it, the glowing hair/top of the head and the brightness of the lanterns; should be brighter and cover a bit more of an area.  The actual darkness was fine in my books.