• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

newbie questions

12 posts in this topic

Posted

So been playing this for several days now and enjoying it immensely but boy is it complicated.  If this was a single player game I am to the point now where I would start over and redo things I messed up on the first time. Several questions that I thought I would ask the wonderful people here.  Watched the in game guides but they didn't seem to answer these questions

1. The node, trading, and worker system confuses me immensely.  Done the quests and picked up my first worker and using him.  Tried to recover him today and move him to another location but it told me I didn't have enough food.  Um what?  I only have one so I don't need lodgings if I understand how things work correctly.  What food do I need?  I assume this is something I can cook?

2. The node system is super confusing.  Trying to connect every node between oliva and valia but now since I have the imp cave connecting in two different directions it told me I couldn't invest in the copper ore nodes around it.  Hmm?  So you don't invest in each node...?  How do you decide on which ones to invest in?  What controls the trading economy and how do you decide which routes make the most money?

3. That leads into the next question - can workers do trading if you give them there own horse/donkey/cart?  Done some of the trading quests and wow - boring and not all that lucrative (though I just have a donkey) can this be automated like mining and producing of resources?

4. I love the idea of the conversation system and it is fun to mess around with - but it is not explained well.  It seems some connections lead to extra dots that travel around and give bonuses but I don't know how to predict when that will happen.  Because of these choosing the highest interest character is not always best (assuming you don't have the fail to spark interest quest)

5. Sometimes the system seems to not work as intended.  I reach the required amity level but I don't get the quest or the info.  For example I got myself up to 150 amity with the female stable lady in oliva but I didn't get the quest from her.  Am I missing something?

6. Cooking is interesting but recipes seem fiddly.  It makes sense that fried fish is fish deep frying oil and some sort of flour.  But the amounts I would not have guessed.  Is it possible to experiment with cooking and find recipes?  Looking them up seems kind of like cheating.

7. Map seems to have things about node wars and conquest buildings - I assume this is a guild thing but I can't find anything about it.  Help?

Thanks!  Oh also keep the energy system - anything that makes people choose what to do and not be able to do everything and have a reason to leave for real life (aka job, family) is a good thing.  I expect there will be some backlash though as there was in the final fantasy mmo.      

Posted

The only part of this I can answer for you, really, is #7: Node wars and conquest buildings will be added in to our version of the game later on. It's already part of the KR game, and it all centers around Guild vs Guild content, where they'll be able to control nodes and build fortifications. 

To address the part about energy system and backlash: the energy system is nothing like the extremely limiting system they had in place for FFXIV's first iteration, where it hard capped your ability to play the game. The energy system is used for harvesting and other things, such as conversations or getting extra knowledge from NPCs you speak with, but it regenerates quickly (1 every 3 minutes as you run around, if I remember correctly) and you can earn a lot of it just by trying a few classes out to ~20. I have one level 40 but I have over 100 energy and 100 contribution points to invest because I've tried out 3 other classes aside from that to 20 and did all the quests as I did. Just felt weird not to. 

I can take a stab at #2 based off a few things I read and say that I think investment is directly linked to the item drop rate around that node's area, but I could be totally wrong, so don't quote me. I also might be completely misunderstanding what you're saying by not being able to invest, and the node itself won't let you invest any energy whatsoever. I haven't tried investing energy myself.

For conversations/amity, you can check out http://dulfy.net/2016/03/04/black-desert-online-conversation-and-amity-guide/ to see if that answers any of your questions. There's also: http://dulfy.net/2016/03/01/black-desert-node-management-and-hiring-workers-basic-guide/, which might cover some of your node/worker questions.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Posted (edited)

Hey Zaldar!

I'm going to answer your first question because it is a common question for new people to the game. Beer is what you need to feed your workers. To make beer you will need 5 potatoes, 6 mineral water, 2 leavening agent, and 1 sugar. Do not get the raw sugar, it is an ingredient for sugar lumps for taming horses. You may find all the ingredients except potatoes at any tavern or inn in a city. 

Edited by Nayasanja

Posted

So been playing this for several days now and enjoying it immensely but boy is it complicated.  If this was a single player game I am to the point now where I would start over and redo things I messed up on the first time. Several questions that I thought I would ask the wonderful people here.  Watched the in game guides but they didn't seem to answer these questions

1. The node, trading, and worker system confuses me immensely.  Done the quests and picked up my first worker and using him.  Tried to recover him today and move him to another location but it told me I didn't have enough food.  Um what?  I only have one so I don't need lodgings if I understand how things work correctly.  What food do I need?  I assume this is something I can cook?

2. The node system is super confusing.  Trying to connect every node between oliva and valia but now since I have the imp cave connecting in two different directions it told me I couldn't invest in the copper ore nodes around it.  Hmm?  So you don't invest in each node...?  How do you decide on which ones to invest in?  What controls the trading economy and how do you decide which routes make the most money?

3. That leads into the next question - can workers do trading if you give them there own horse/donkey/cart?  Done some of the trading quests and wow - boring and not all that lucrative (though I just have a donkey) can this be automated like mining and producing of resources?

4. I love the idea of the conversation system and it is fun to mess around with - but it is not explained well.  It seems some connections lead to extra dots that travel around and give bonuses but I don't know how to predict when that will happen.  Because of these choosing the highest interest character is not always best (assuming you don't have the fail to spark interest quest)

5. Sometimes the system seems to not work as intended.  I reach the required amity level but I don't get the quest or the info.  For example I got myself up to 150 amity with the female stable lady in oliva but I didn't get the quest from her.  Am I missing something?

6. Cooking is interesting but recipes seem fiddly.  It makes sense that fried fish is fish deep frying oil and some sort of flour.  But the amounts I would not have guessed.  Is it possible to experiment with cooking and find recipes?  Looking them up seems kind of like cheating.

7. Map seems to have things about node wars and conquest buildings - I assume this is a guild thing but I can't find anything about it.  Help?

Thanks!  Oh also keep the energy system - anything that makes people choose what to do and not be able to do everything and have a reason to leave for real life (aka job, family) is a good thing.  I expect there will be some backlash though as there was in the final fantasy mmo.      

First there is nothing wrong with starting another alt!

1. Beer see your question 6.

2. Don't use the node system until you know what you want. Play the game there is a quest that helps you connect.

3. No the game does not play itself for you.

4. Play the game.

5. Reload or there could be other prerequisits

6. Play the game and learn new recipes.

7. Not implemented yet.

BDO isn't your standard 9-5 max level MMO. You don't have to understand everything right now. You can actually kick back and have fun from day 1. By having fun you will eventually learn the other stuff. RELAX 

Posted (edited)

Greetings, Salutions and welcome to the community!

Ill go over the basics of the nodes and how they work.

Finding Nodes

For Handy Map = CLICK 

You can discover nodes by speaking to the node managers.

some nodes are tricky to find, the best way I found, is to open up your map and look for any kind of hill, building, or ruins icon in forests ect on the map and go there and explore.

you can also discover nodes though talking to people too! 

The black spirit gives you quests that sends you to the mode areas and sometimes mode npcs, so make sure you do them!

so that's the basics of finding nodes, now I'll talk about connecting them.

Each City you find will be a automatic and free mode for you, which you will be able to link near by nodes too.

ideally, you are aiming to make the most direct connection from city to city, using area nodes with trader npcs being highest priority,

Getting Contribution Points:

To do this you will need contribution points, which you get from doing quests, so the more you quest and help npcs out the more contribution points you will be able to invest into your Node network.

I also recommend that when you are grinding and Levine up in a place that you visit the node NPC first and active it, this will give you the nodes benefits.

The Benefits!

so what are the benefits?

• all trade items from a active node can be sold to a trade NPC at a much greater price.
  • all trade items dropped by monsters in the nodes area can be traded at a higher rate.
  • monsters inside the nodes connection have better item drop rate.
  • some nodes allow access to sub nodes that can be used for gathering.
  • some nodes allow you to have houses to buy and use, be it a residence, storage ect.

Types of Nodes:

For the most part there are three types of nodes:

• Grinding Nodes: these only have monsters in the area and effect the drop rate in items, not sure if it effects the exp rate. Normally I only activate these when I'm grinding or farming in that area, and after Iv sold stuff to a trade NPC I remotely withdraw my contribution points to free up my CP.
  • Gathering Nodes: as mentioned above some nodes have sub nodes that allow you to send workers to harvest, mine, lumber jack, pick stuff for you!
  • Trade and Gold Investment Nodes: Nodes With a trader allowing you to trade goods.Gold invest nodes are a bit more complicated, effectively, to use this, you must put the right amount of gold bars into the warehouse of the closet city, then send your worker off to play stockbroker with your money for 2 days, at the end you normally get your gold back and some silver coins.

Energy and You!

so now let's talk about in energy investment.

If you invest energy into a node it will level up, the higher the lev the more energy it needs for the next level and do having alts is very handy indeed!

Now, when you invest energy, you can not withdraw it, and if you ever withdraw your contribution, your node level will reset and you'll have lost all that energy you've incested.

So the best way I find to invest, is in key nodes, places there you will be grinding alot every day. I.e the Abandoned Monastery to get better drops rates on items when your farming for the +5 ap rings they drop and so on!

And that's all I know! Hope it helps.

Edited by Nhima
1 person likes this

Posted

So Dazed are you saying the answer to some of these questions is given later in the game?  I have done the cooking quests around Velia and they gave some recipes but would be nice to find others through experimentation.

On nodes I did the quest to connect nodes protect the trade route around the western millitary encampment and it answered some questions but not the ones I asked here.  I did the conversation quest in velia as well which was helpful but didn't answer everything.  By reload do you mean reload the game or hit esc to go back?  Been hitting esc to go back but that doesn't work always (like the example above I cited).  If there are other preregs they really should be listed as wasting energy to get knowledge or a quest you can't get is really annoying.  That info was great Nhima!  Thanks.  It still leaves me not understanding though why the imp cave near Velia I can't invest in the sub node and send my worker to it.  It looks like it is because I have that node connected to to many places.  Also were you saying that things NPCs drop like the imp talismens I should be selling to the trader (in western military encampment)rather than to random npc merchants when I have the node connected?

As for trading not being able to be done with workers - since they do crafting and gathering with workers not sure why they don't let you do this with them also...ah well.  Grind has never been something I find enjoyable in games.  Good thing the NPCs and quests are so much fun in this!

Thanks for all the help guys! 

Posted

So Dazed are you saying the answer to some of these questions is given later in the game?  I have done the cooking quests around Velia and they gave some recipes but would be nice to find others through experimentation.

On nodes I did the quest to connect nodes protect the trade route around the western millitary encampment and it answered some questions but not the ones I asked here.  I did the conversation quest in velia as well which was helpful but didn't answer everything.  By reload do you mean reload the game or hit esc to go back?  Been hitting esc to go back but that doesn't work always (like the example above I cited).  If there are other preregs they really should be listed as wasting energy to get knowledge or a quest you can't get is really annoying.  That info was great Nhima!  Thanks.  It still leaves me not understanding though why the imp cave near Velia I can't invest in the sub node and send my worker to it.  It looks like it is because I have that node connected to to many places.  Also were you saying that things NPCs drop like the imp talismens I should be selling to the trader (in western military encampment)rather than to random npc merchants when I have the node connected?

As for trading not being able to be done with workers - since they do crafting and gathering with workers not sure why they don't let you do this with them also...ah well.  Grind has never been something I find enjoyable in games.  Good thing the NPCs and quests are so much fun in this!

Thanks for all the help guys! 

Yes.

Not understanding everything is perfectly normal but you should be having fun from day 1. 

Then your questions will transition from "The node system is super confusing"

to 

How do I gather X so that I can do Y.

1 person likes this

Posted

Oh having fun from day 1 I suppose but do wish some things were explained more explicitly up front.  Have screen shots now for some of my questions that have not been answered yet.  

1.  The first four files show my current node network around the imp cave.  It isn't letting me put the one worker I have on any of the nodes in the imp cave and I am not sure why.  Help appreciated.

2.  The last picture shows what I saw when I reached 65 amity with Bartali - supposed to get knowledge at 50 but I seem not to be able to.  Had this experience throughout the game and is very frustrating.  What is going on?

3. So it seems the only/best way to get recipes for cooking is to do the quests?  I would like to think I could say oh will fish soup would be the stuff for say meat soup but with fish instead of meat...is it not logical like that?  

2016-04-08_1391556134.JPG

2016-04-08_1391573361.JPG

2016-04-08_1391586115.JPG

2016-04-08_1391603528.JPG

2016-04-11_1615955839.JPG

Posted

Question  "I'm having problems getting my workers to collect X from the Imp Cave"

Answer: You have to add the Location Node and Resource Node.

Posted

Except I have done that.  Look at the pictures again.  Both are added.  I talked to the imp in the cave....

Posted

From what I see on your screen shots, you have added the "general node" imp cave, but not the "gathering nodes" for minerals. Go talk to that node manager again and then in that convo chose node management. make sure it shows you have invested points in the first screen it shows you. Then also click on the "gathering node" that interrests you and you should see in the upper left corner the button to invest points in the gathering node itself. When points are invested in it, it shows as yellow, not as white on your map and it will even prompt a little window to send workers to it..

Posted

From what I see on your screen shots, you have added the "general node" imp cave, but not the "gathering nodes" for minerals. Go talk to that node manager again and then in that convo chose node management. make sure it shows you have invested points in the first screen it shows you. Then also click on the "gathering node" that interrests you and you should see in the upper left corner the button to invest points in the gathering node itself. When points are invested in it, it shows as yellow, not as white on your map and it will even prompt a little window to send workers to it..

Agreed. It looks like you invested in the Imp Cave but not the mining nodes. Once you invest in them it will immediately prompt you to put a worker to work there. Make sure to change the number of times the worker works or he will only make one trip then wait. Do not feel like you need to assign the work then and there. Workers can be set remotely as long as the nodes are activated.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0