• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Getting griefed while AFK.

60 posts in this topic

Posted

I have been thoroughly enjoying BDO, but I don't have the time to play it nearly as much as I would like (job, life, family, etc.). One of the things that sparked my interest was the concept of AFK fishing. As someone who works, I could still accrue currency and not fall behind too much. The only problem with this...you can die while AFK. Not only do you have to leave your computer on (which is ridiculous), but people come along and grief at hotspots. This happens twice a day or more to me. Between this and the horrendous collision detection, AFK fishing is actually counter productive. It is really, really frustrating to come back from work and find only a few fish in my inventory or, worse, that I have lost EXP (from someone griefing with their boat). Being subjected to griefing while AFK and completely defenseless is about as toxic an experience you can have in this game. 

It would be really nice to see Daum do something about this.

1 person likes this

Posted

Or you could just not go to a popular hotspot whilst being afk, that's just asking for it. 

9 people like this

Posted

From what you're explaining you're AFK fishing in an area that might not be a great idea to be AFK in. There are safe zones to fish from.

Posted

From what you're explaining you're AFK fishing in an area that might not be a great idea to be AFK in. There are safe zones to fish from.

Well frankly you won't make money like that. I've yet to see a safe zone that nets decent fish. 

But OP yeah you will suffer in these spots sometimes when you are AFK. Not much can be done about it since you are AFK. I've been kidnapped a few times and drowned as well. But most of the time I'm actually able to return to my character and they still be OK. Try using different channels, or maybe a different spot.

I've been AFK fishing since a few days after a launch every night and day while at work. Only 3 times have I been interrupted *knocks on wood*

1 person likes this

Posted

Or you could just not go to a popular hotspot whilst being afk, that's just asking for it. 

why should the OP have to change where he fishes because some wants to be an A-hole? the problem isnt him its the people griefing.

1 person likes this

Posted

Problem with afk fishing in hotspots is that almost all are in combat zones. I have been killed myself in one. I'm lvl 55 too, so when I came back and saw the person who killed me I then in turn killed him, repeatedly and sunk his boat. Best advice I can give, firstly don't afk over lvl 45 if you worry about ganking. If you don't want to lvl another fishing toon, find a new spot, find a new channel or be prepared to defend your spot.

1 person likes this

Posted

EASY FIXES

1.)  Make an alt char that just fishes, this way itwill take FOREVER to get to level 45 to be a griefers target.

2.) Don't fish in hot spots.  if your going to afk fish be smart about it.  The whole saying "risk vs reward",  hot spot fishing has alot of risk but great reward.

3.) Just don't AFK fish.  Even tho being killed as a fisher has very little inconvenience (you ress at town you just missed out on filling your available space IF HE killed you early, or you may lose half trade items if he killed you late after you completely filled bag).  Either way you still made money for doing absolutely nothing yourself.  wish work worked that way.

Final Thought.)  Remember this game only rewards the good people let them grief kill you.  They will become RED they will NOT be allowed in town. They WILL NOT be able to get quests.  They WILL lose crystals AND black stone armor/weapon enchants when they finally get killed.

2 people like this

Posted

why should the OP have to change where he fishes because some wants to be an A-hole? the problem isnt him its the people griefing.

Well if you go AFK in a zone where you can be killed it's kinda to be expected. some of the areas are called "Combat Zones" for a reason. Now it's not exactly being an 'asshole' when you clear out all the AFK fishers to maybe clear them long enough to get some decent catches when it builds up past resource exhaustion. Sure maybe a little selfish but so is AFK fishing and having a huge entitlement complex after the fact because you went AFK in a combat zone of all places.

4 people like this

Posted

Well if you go AFK in a zone where you can be killed it's kinda to be expected. some of the areas are called "Combat Zones" for a reason. Now it's not exactly being an 'asshole' when you clear out all the AFK fishers to maybe clear them long enough to get some decent catches when it builds up past resource exhaustion. Sure maybe a little selfish but so is AFK fishing and having a huge entitlement complex after the fact because you went AFK in a combat zone of all places.

except the OP isnt being killed in a fair manor but yet through collision exploits, so again how is this his fault? if he was getting his face punched in for being in a pvp zone then yeah thats free game, using exploits to kill people is a no no though.

Posted

I'm afraid the only way fix to this... You either have to remain under 45 if you are fishing. Or use less populated spots. I think the griefing is going to get slowly worse too... unless they rework the system.

Posted

WEHH WEHH WEHH I WANNA GET RICH WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING AND ZERO RISK! WEHH WEHH WEHH!

amirite?

10 people like this

Posted (edited)

Also side note op...

I'm not a fisher but apparently hot spots are not affected by your fishing level or rods?

So you can EASILY make an alt and fish. But i'm not 100% on this.

Edited by Jack Sparrow

Posted

except the OP isnt being killed in a fair manor but yet through collision exploits, so again how is this his fault? if he was getting his face punched in for being in a pvp zone then yeah thats free game, using exploits to kill people is a no no though.

Exactly, and the OP hasn't exactly clarified if it was even in a safe zone. Like my first response said from what has been explained so far it's just getting smeared while AFK.

If it's in a safe zone via boats then yes clearly something needs to happen.

Posted (edited)

some people confuse grief with ignorance i have had people park there boat on top of mine and when i leave spot they are on my boat in that rush to be rude and think they will gain advantage expect shit to happen i will dump you in middle of sea or run into a seawall ill give you a chance ill ask you to get off boat and even take you back if you do not respond you are fish food, i would not gank a person fishing unless at war but you on my boat and decide to park on top of me ill dump you.

Edited by Hulkamaniaffxiv
1 person likes this

Posted

I have been thoroughly enjoying BDO, but I don't have the time to play it nearly as much as I would like (job, life, family, etc.). One of the things that sparked my interest was the concept of AFK fishing. As someone who works, I could still accrue currency and not fall behind too much. The only problem with this...you can die while AFK. Not only do you have to leave your computer on (which is ridiculous), but people come along and grief at hotspots. This happens twice a day or more to me. Between this and the horrendous collision detection, AFK fishing is actually counter productive. It is really, really frustrating to come back from work and find only a few fish in my inventory or, worse, that I have lost EXP (from someone griefing with their boat). Being subjected to griefing while AFK and completely defenseless is about as toxic an experience you can have in this game. 

Go away.

Nobody cares for your whine. 

Posted

Fish in a less populated spot. Fish on a low level alt. Fish whilst standing on your boats helm (if you have a fishing boat, if you don't, wtf are you doing)

Posted

I think a few of you are struggling to understand the scope of this. You are absolutely forced to AFK fish at a hotspot if you're not playing the majority of the day (hell, even if you are playing 18 hours a day, you still needed to be AFK fishing). This isn't a problem and most people are willing to incure a monetary cost(electricity, wear and tear on computer parts). The problem with this: you cannot AFK farm because of defenseless griefing. This isn't a risk/reward thing like farming at Sausans. This is a griefing thing that needs addressed.

Posted

This is not a griefing problem. This is a common sense problem. You go somewhere dangerous and you AFK and you complain? Do you walk around bad neighborhoods with your eyes closed too?

2 people like this

Posted

most people are willing to incure a monetary cost(electricity, wear and tear on computer parts).

That was a hilarious thread where that got brought up. Unless your computer is behind what it needs to be to play this in the first place that's not really an issue and gets me laughing whenever it's mentioned.

Not to mention if you minimize the game it truly does use minimal system resources and continue afk fishing. So even if your computer is far behind where it needs to be afk fishing is no worse on your computer than simply leaving it on. You would spend more on lighting a single room in your house when you are awake and active than the 'electricity/wear and tear on computer parts.

Posted

Once one toon is over 45, aren't all your toons vulnerable to being afk killed?

Posted

Which is why i use an alt to fish. It's not hard.

Posted

Once one toon is over 45, aren't all your toons vulnerable to being afk killed?

No, only your 45+ char.

Posted (edited)

Which is why i use an alt to fish. It's not hard.

That doesn't stop people picking you off from your boat with their own then remote collecting their boat and similar forms of griefing. From what I understand, OP is talking about all sorts of griefing, not just classic PK-ing.

Edited by Aywa

Posted

That was a hilarious thread where that got brought up. Unless your computer is behind what it needs to be to play this in the first place that's not really an issue and gets me laughing whenever it's mentioned.

Not to mention if you minimize the game it truly does use minimal system resources and continue afk fishing. So even if your computer is far behind where it needs to be afk fishing is no worse on your computer than simply leaving it on. You would spend more on lighting a single room in your house when you are awake and active than the 'electricity/wear and tear on computer parts.

I don't know what kind of garbage computer you have, but my computer pulls way, way more than a lightbulb (200w+) when AFK fishing. If you disconnect, it also puts a load on your GPUs/CPU. Also, try to contribute to forum posts instead of being toxic. 

Posted

I don't know what kind of garbage computer you have, but my computer pulls way, way more than a lightbulb (200w+) when AFK fishing. If you disconnect, it also puts a load on your GPUs/CPU. Also, try to contribute to forum posts instead of being toxic. 

Read the rest of the thread, then read your quote. Also read the thing I posted that you quoted me on that helps people that are having the issue you tried to plug in.

But back on to the topic.