• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Money from Cooking?

19 posts in this topic

Posted

So I recently hit professional 1 cooking and honestly don't know how to make huge amounts of cash. I really enjoy the cooking skill itself which is why I leveled it up but now I can figure out how to make money other than milk tea. Milk tea also doesn't seem to be that profitable because of the energy required to make it (Tea with a fine scent + milk + flour). Don't know how good Milk Tea is in professional 1 because I haven't mass produced it since around skilled 10 (also don't know if that would make a difference).

So my question is, whats the best way to make money from cooking? 

Posted (edited)

The profits have all been made by the early cooks back when food prices were much higher.  Way too much supply and too little demand now. 

For 1/100th of the effort you can AFK fish and make far more money.

Sad but true.

Edited by Snarf

Posted

The profits have all been made by the early cooks back when food prices were much higher.  Way too much supply and too little demand now. 

For 1/100th of the effort you can AFK fish and make far more money.

Sad but true.

Yeah I have an alt which I fish with and it seems to make more money with 1/10 of the effort. I make around ~500k from afk fishing but I have no idea how to make that kind of money by cooking :/

Posted

Cooking is just like the other crafting in the game.... Hobbled by 35% marketplace fees.

AFK fishing.. No fees, no energy reqs, no nothing.

Posted

So I recently hit professional 1 cooking and honestly don't know how to make huge amounts of cash. I really enjoy the cooking skill itself which is why I leveled it up but now I can figure out how to make money other than milk tea. Milk tea also doesn't seem to be that profitable because of the energy required to make it (Tea with a fine scent + milk + flour). Don't know how good Milk Tea is in professional 1 because I haven't mass produced it since around skilled 10 (also don't know if that would make a difference).

So my question is, whats the best way to make money from cooking? 

Sorry to disappoint, but since the only way of making money through cooking is through player2player trade (through the use of the Markeplace) you will rarely find people who willingly (and publicly) share their ways of making money with Cooking, as the reason why they are making money is because they have few "competitors".

I'm Artisan 4 in Cooking, and I can tell you that Milk Tea is one of the least profitable recipes around (it is still profitable though, compared to the vast majority of recipes - even at low levels).

And no, I won't share my knowledge on this. BUT if you want to read something more insightful on this topic (in terms of how to better determine your earnings/expenses), I suggest you read this post that I made here: http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/66735-request-increase-crafted-items-prices/ 

Posted (edited)

Well if you fish, maybe save those normal grade ones and dry it then use it to make good feed? I always sell a batch of like 30 and they go away once it's on the market.
But you gotta stack up on them meats which lets you lvl up your gathering too :)

Edited by Yunarin

Posted

Sorry to disappoint, but since the only way of making money through cooking is through player2player trade (through the use of the Markeplace) you will rarely find people who willingly (and publicly) share their ways of making money with Cooking, as the reason why they are making money is because they have few "competitors".

I'm Artisan 4 in Cooking, and I can tell you that Milk Tea is one of the least profitable recipes around (it is still profitable though, compared to the vast majority of recipes - even at low levels).

And no, I won't share my knowledge on this. BUT if you want to read something more insightful on this topic (in terms of how to better determine your earnings/expenses), I suggest you read this post that I made here: http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/66735-request-increase-crafted-items-prices/ 

Thanks for the insight.

Well if you fish, maybe save those normal grade ones and dry it then use it to make good feed? I always sell a batch of like 30 and they go away once it's on the market.
But you gotta stack up on them meats which lets you lvl up your gathering too :)

Well the thing is I can just sell them to a trader for more profit and no energy consumption.

Posted

hmm well if the fish is only around 1.3-1.8 k you can turn that to 9k easy. Also if you were wanting to do something with cooking to begin with it would still cost you energy.
I have alts so energy is not really my concern. When I go active fishing, I save few normal grade ones and dry them to save space so I always have those in stocks as well. Not to mention but when you dry 1 fish you could have outcome of 4.

Posted (edited)

I strongly advise you to stop making Good Feed. You could literally earn more money if you sold the raw ingredients on the Marketplace/Trade NPCs.

I don't even know why people buy it at 9000 per piece (for a recovery of 40 Satiety) when they could buy the Cheap Feed for 500silver (for a recovery of 6 Satiety) from any stable vendor.
Good Feed: 9000silver/40 Satiety=225 silver per Satiety point 
Cheap Feed: 500silver/6 Satiety= 83 silver per Satiety point (AND they are less prone to "waste" Satiety points).

Edited by hihey54

Posted

I strongly advise you to stop making Good Feed. You could literally earn more money if you sold the raw ingredients on the Marketplace/Trade NPCs.

I don't even know why people buy it at 9000 per piece (for a recovery of 40 Satiety) when they could buy the Cheap Feed for 500silver (for a recovery of 6 Satiety) from any stable vendor.
Good Feed: 9000silver/40 Satiety=225 silver per Satiety
Cheap Feed: 500/6 Satiety= 83 silver per Satiety (AND they are less prone to "waste" of Satiety points).

You mean dry fish and weasel meats?

Posted

hmm well if the fish is only around 1.3-1.8 k you can turn that to 9k easy. Also if you were wanting to do something with cooking to begin with it would still cost you energy.
I have alts so energy is not really my concern. When I go active fishing, I save few normal grade ones and dry them to save space so I always have those in stocks as well. Not to mention but when you dry 1 fish you could have outcome of 4.

I don't fish for green grade, only blue +. The blue ones are ~6k and yellow ~20k so it's not really worth it.

Posted (edited)

Nor do I but they come along once in awhile, so if I were afk fishing, I would never see them but like I said, if I were active fishing, I would save them.

Also I trade green grades too, I was talking normal grade like fourfinger threadfin.

Edited by Yunarin

Posted (edited)

You mean dry fish and weasel meats?

...and the Flour.
Butchering Weasels, Grinding starch and Drying fishes all require Energy points to do. On top of the Energy point for cooking the dish. 
Add to this the price of the Starch (Potato/Wheat (you'll never find this on the market)/Barley/Corn) if you buy it yourself (you'll never find Flour on the market, so you need to process it yourself). Or, add the "cost" in Beers of the Workers you need to "pay" for their labour.
 Finally, add 100 silver for the 3x Water (30 each) and the use of the Cooking Station (10 per use). And don't forget the taxes you pay for each sold item (35%).

Add all these together, and you will realise you're actually either losing money (if your Gathering/Cooking/Processing skills are low) or making a very tiny revenue (if you're above Skilled5 level in all these). Revenue which needs to be compared to the Energy cost for making the product (really high).

TL;DR: don't just assume that because you sold 20x Cheap Feed (and got 100k Silver out of those from the Marketplace) you've actually "gained" money. Before determining if you're gaining money, you need to take into account all the costs of the materials (including the Beers to pay your workers) (including the cost for the Vendor items) AND consider how much money you would make if you sold everything you gathered yourself directly on the marketplace. THEN you need to consider if the amount of Energy required to make the product couldn't be spent elsewhere, to make something more profitable.

Only then you can finally say that you've actually "achieved" something through cooking.

Edited by hihey54

Posted

...and the Flour.Butchering Weasels, Grinding starch and Drying fishes all require Energy points to do. On top of the Energy point for cooking the dish. 
Add to this the price of the Starch (Potato/Wheat (you'll never find this on the market)/Barley/Corn) if you buy it yourself (you'll never find Flour on the market, so you need to process it yourself). Or, add the "cost" in Beers of the Workers you need to "pay" for their labour.
 Finally, add 100 silver for the 3x Water (30 each) and the use of the Cooking Station (10 per use). And don't forget the taxes you pay for each sold item (35%).

Add all these together, and you will realise you're actually either losing money (if your Gathering/Cooking/Processing skills are low) or making a very tiny revenue (if you're above Skilled5 level in all these). Revenue which needs to be compared to the Energy cost for making the product (really high).

Thank you for breaking everything down for me. I agree with you and just to clear it up but I don't religiously make good feed to sell to the market so when I do one fishing session I probably have about 8 dryfish come back with me that I keep. Depend on my mood and if I have the mats already I would make good feed for my pets, which I have in quite large number and what ever is left after my cutoff number, I sell. So yeah if you were to do this for money alone, you wouldn't see much profit. But like you said, I could be better off selling all the mats. And no my gathering is professional 2, cooking skilled 9 and my alts processing is skilled 7, so I get quite good outcome when I hunt meats or process wheat.

Also I find it enjoyable to cook, so profit is not always my number one concern :)

...and the Flour.Butchering Weasels, Grinding starch and Drying fishes all require Energy points to do. On top of the Energy point for cooking the dish. 

TL;DR: don't just assume that because you sold 20x Cheap Feed (and got 100k Silver out of those from the Marketplace) you've actually "gained" money. Before determining if you're gaining money, you need to take into account all the costs of the materials (including the Beers to pay your workers) (including the cost for the Vendor items) AND consider how much money you would make if you sold everything you gathered yourself directly on the marketplace. THEN you need to consider if the amount of Energy required to make the product couldn't be spent elsewhere, to make something more profitable.

Only then you can finally say that you've actually "achieved" something through cooking.

Oh no, please don't misunderstand my original post, I was simply sharing ideas with the OP on what else one can do with cooking, but like my earlier post, I do agree with you that good feed is not as profitable and OP has already stated that she doesn't think so either.

Posted

The way I look at things is that you don't make money off of the base results, you make it off of the bonus results - which means that for a long while, you'll be losing money until you get to the point where you can spend enough materials to make 100x of an item, and get 200+ of the item in return.  It's by no means ideal, but it's a way to combat the 1:1 price comparison, because you're literally creating something out of nothing.

Posted (edited)

The way I look at things is that you don't make money off of the base results, you make it off of the bonus results - which means that for a long while, you'll be losing money until you get to the point where you can spend enough materials to make 100x of an item, and get 200+ of the item in return.  It's by no means ideal, but it's a way to combat the 1:1 price comparison, because you're literally creating something out of nothing.

The problem arises when, even if you also consider that "extra something", you're still either at a loss or gaining a very tiny income for the Energy required to obtain the needed ingredients.

If you go around the Mansha forest, you can kill and butcher Bears (for Bear Meat) and Warthogs (for Pork): both of these sell for around 1.5k on the Marketplace. With a Gathering skill of Skilled5+, you can easily get 2-3 of them, which means that you can easily gain 2-3k Silver per point of Energy. In order to achieve that with cooking, you need to invest A LOT more time, effort and Energy. 

EDIT: I'm not saying you can't make money out of Cooking: you can, but you need to invest a considerable amount of time researching all your stuff. And even then it will potentially net you less than what you'd gain through, for example, Gathering. I only cook now because I like the badge on top of my head. If I wasn't ranked I would had stopped a long time ago in favor of other activities (such as Fishing or Gathering).

TluhEj3.jpg

Edited by hihey54

Posted

TBH I mostly cook because I enjoy it, I know I can get more obscure buffs if I want, and so I can give it to my husband and guildies as needed. I enjoy being able to say "Everybody got XP food? No? Here."

... Profit margins for most things are pretty small, and/or you could generally be making much more money for your energy investment imo. I admit I haven't hardcore number-crunched in couple of weeks.

Posted

... Profit margins for most things are pretty small, and/or you could generally be making much more money for your energy investment imo. I admit I haven't hardcore number-crunched in couple of weeks.

Exactly what I'm doing right now. Trying to find what food gives me the most money through a spreadsheet.

Posted

Pretty much agree with the OP here, and Hihey about people not wanting to share their , tricks? Im the same as well really. though one thing i can tell you is that i had to buy out a LOT of special carrots in the market just so they'd sell at a reasonable price again. seriously 1 carrot selling for 900 silver was ludicrous! people just dump their stuff on the market for minimum price without looking into the prices at all. that is just sad if someone is actually into crafting. =/

I was all ok with taking the price hit as long as got the carrots back up to atleast 1.5 k. Little i did know that 2 days later the autopath feature came out and all the carrots got sold out. =D managed to improve the prices to 3.5k a pop with the 1400 carrots i had stored xD

but that is just a circumstance that just happened. my point still stays that people, especially crafters should reeeaaally think twice before listing their items in the marketplace

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0