• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

[SOLUTION] File is corrupted even after repairs

208 posts in this topic

Posted

Troubleshooting problems ain't an easy task, let alone doing so when the problem is misleading and there are underlying factors that play a huge role in the solution (*Dims sadlife*). Since you are reading this, I assume you either encounter the problem yourself or you're just interested in knowing why I was struggling to play for months.

Clarification: make sure to correctly detect the problem (2 paragraphs below) before posting. To avoid "file is corrupted" errors during patch downloads, simply wait some time before updating your client (don't download patch exactly as soon as it's up).

Anyone who'd read "File is corrupted" would almost immediately assume that a game asset has been corrupted in their harddrive and a repair is needed to get the correct file back in the folder. Sadly, it's not that simple, and while some times it may indeed be the case, at other times the reasons are stealthier. To explain how the game engine works: once you start up the game, the most important game assets (such as terrain and objects near you) get loaded into the RAM, and the less-important -for a fast startup- assests (such as animations and textures) are loaded afterwards.

But what can possibly go wrong here?! Well, they might be loaded in a bad RAM sector. As a result, when the engine tries to read the assets from the memory, it's eventually going to hit a bad sector -where data is not allocated correctly or not allocated at all-, and you know what happens next: "File is corrupted, please run a repair".

Detecting the problem

It's not really hard to detect the problem. The next time the error pops up, click OK, and Restart your computer.

But isn't restarting the game the same thing? No. Much like harddrives, the data in the RAM is still there, just marked for overwritting. Restarting the game would result in the kernel re-reading the already loaded assets, so the fastest way to flush it all out (it's getting weird here) is to restart your system.

Once you're logged back into Windows, open the game and let it load. If it throws the file is corrupted error again then you need to start a repair from the launcher (read below). If it successfully opens up without any error -while you haven't ran the repair or any form of file recovery-, then your RAM is most probably damaged. In case the latter is true, you can confirm it by running a memory test.

But running a repair also fixes the problem! Yes, it does, but what you're actually doing is not repairing a corrupt file. It's overwritting the -correct- file with a new -correct- file, and you simply get a re-allocation in the RAM.

Memory Test with Memtest86+

Download Link: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
*Memtest86+ is released under the terms of the Gnu Public License (GPL). No restrictions for use, private or commercial exist other than the ones mentioned in the Gnu Public License (GPL). Texts about the original version was taken from the original website and written by Chris Brady. 

KEEP IN MIND THIS PROCEDURE IS TARGETED TO PEOPLE WITH MODERATE COMPUTER KNOWLEDGE. IF YOU AREN'T CONFIDENT IN YOUR SKILLS, PLEASE CONTACT SOMEONE YOU THINK IS CAPABLE OF RUNNING THIS PROCEDURE.

It is recommended that you download the "Auto-Installer for USB Key (Win 9x/2k/xp/7)" in the "Memtest86+ V5.01 (27/09/2013)" category -works with windows 10 too-. Make sure to follow the instructions in the program, and when you are done, switch your computer off. Plug your USB in, get in your BIOS and modify the boot order to the following:

• 1st Boot Device: USB with Memtest86+.
  • 2nd, 3rd, nth Boot Device: Everything else.

Save changes and restart. Follow the on-screen instructions and let Memtest86+ run, and while the test itself is going to take hours, if the RAM is faulty, errors will pop up within 30 to 60 minutes. In the case an error pops up, it is highly probable that your RAM has bad sectors and after 30 minutes you should stop the test and proceed below. If no errors poped up throughout the whole test, your hardware is more than likely not faulty and you should seek other solutions.

Solutions

KEEP IN MIND IF ANY ERRORS WERE FOUND IT'S RECOMMENDED THAT YOU RMA YOUR RAM REGARDLESS OF ERROR COUNT

• Less than 10 errors

Your RAM most probably has a few bad sectors, and luckily for you, Windows has a function to mark them. To learn how to mark bad sectors, please read the below article:

https://thecomputerperson.wordpress.com/2015/04/20/how-to-block-out-or-map-out-bad-ram-in-windows/

Unfortunately there is no automatic process to do this, so read the article thoroughly or have an experienced person do it for you.

• More than 10 errors

Your RAM is highly damaged and you should RMA it.

Other Solutions

• Set default or conservative RAM timings
  • Increase the voltage levels
  • Apply BIOS update to fix incompatibility issues

*Improbable solutions but worth trying.

RMA'ing your RAM

To RMA your RAM, either contact your seller, administrator or owner of the system. It is not guaranteed that you can RMA it, if you can't, new sticks will have to be bought.

Running a File Repair

To run a file repair, go to your installation directory, delete version.dat, and run your Black Desert Online Launcher.

Is Memtest86+ a bulletproof test?

No. According to the Memtest86+ page, "The test implicitly tests the CPU, L1 and L2 caches as well as the motherboard. It is impossible for the test to determine what causes the failure to occur. However, most failures will be due to a problem with memory module. When it is not, the only option is to replace parts until the failure is corrected.".

Afterword

Bad RAM is always the last thing someone will think of, and it's one of the trickiest problems to discover since everything else seems to be working correctly. There are hints though that something is going on with the memory, suchs as frequent BSODs, browser tab crashes, etc. Personally, it was a really joyful moment when I realised that the file is corrupted errors stopped popping up after I replaced my RAM sticks. I hope this thread was a useful addition to your troubleshooting adventure. See you in-game!

17 people like this

Posted

Great post man :)

Posted

I ran the memory diagnostic tools in windows 10 and it didn't find any errors, would this software find any errors the pre-installed tool wouldn't find?

Posted

I ran the memory diagnostic tools in windows 10 and it didn't find any errors, would this software find any errors the pre-installed tool wouldn't find?

Yes, it's recommended that you use Memtest86+ for clear results.

Posted

Just wanted to pitch in before people start running out buying new hardware. I had the same problem with "corrupt" files and no amount of "repairs" helped. Completely uninstalling and reinstalling the game client did work however. So.. Try that first. :P

1 person likes this

Posted

Do I have to put it on a USB? I don't have those anymore. They kept getting lost. Is it absolutely necessary for Memtest86?

Posted

I can attest to it being linked to RAM, perso ally.  I never even knew of this corrupt file error until installing a new stick of RAM 3 days ago in my Windows PC.  I see some have experienced this error for over a month. Ouch!

Sounds like I have a bad stick or I need to reconfigure the channels and slot locations of each stick. My new stick might not be playing well with the old stick in the slot next to it.  

Either way like Dim said it can be very tricky with RAM.  Appreciate the post.  Great info!

Posted

Do I have to put it on a USB? I don't have those anymore. They kept getting lost. Is it absolutely necessary for Memtest86?

Yes, you are gonna need a USB. The reason being that Memtest86+ is not an executable that you can run in windows, it's software that runs before Windows do. Don't be confused though, you'll have to run the auto installer while in windows and burn Memtest86+ onto the USB drive, not put the exe itself in it!

Posted

OR!!!!

I don't do any of that, read the history in my Norton Anti-Virus, find out that Black Desert is poorly programmed, because it tries to access an Anti-Virus program's files and crashes because it OF COURSE gets blocked by the Anti-Virus program.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

my game crashed also with this corrupt file message and now the RAM is really broken... maybe overheat ?

do i need a water cooling system in the future? ;)  

Edited by letsgo

Posted

my game crashed also with this corrupt file message and now the RAM is really broken... maybe overheat ?

do i need a water cooling system in the future? ;)  

I think this is not the proper thread for such questions my friend :)

Posted (edited)

Hello.

I have the infamous "File is corrupted" crash from time to time, but the thing is that my RAM is clean ( ran 5 passes of memtest86 without any errors), the bios is (sadly) set to failsafe default. I re downloaded the entire game and installed on a brand new SSD (samsung 850 evo), even uninstalled temporarily my AV. So i ran out of ideas on how to get it fixed. Any suggestions anyone?

Edited by BeringBane

Posted

Hello.

I have the infamous "File is corrupted" crash from time to time, but the thing is that my RAM is clean ( ran 5 passes of memtest86 without any errors), the bios is (sadly) set to failsafe default. I re downloaded the entire game and installed on a brand new SSD (samsung 850 evo), even uninstalled temporarily my AV. So i ran out of ideas on how to get it fixed. Any suggestions anyone?

Hey.

Your AV might not be the only program trying to accesss your gamefiles. Try checking the "Run as administrator" box in the properties of the black desert .exe in bin/bin64 folders and try running the game again. Also keep in mind that 1 pass in Memtest86+ doesn't equal 1 fully complete test. For now, make sure no other software is accessing your gamefiles while they run, and if that fails, look at your ram modules again.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the advices. When i ran memtest86+ for the first time it took a whopping 11hours to complete. Looks like the "Run as admin" thing is working, not a single crash in an hour (i usually have a couple of them in an hour). I'll keep testing this but it looks very good.

Edited by BeringBane
typos

Posted

I am going to try the administrator thing aswell. 

Ram is completely fine, dunno how people can have faulty ram apparently and only experience this in BDO

Posted

I am going to try the administrator thing aswell. 

Ram is completely fine, dunno how people can have faulty ram apparently and only experience this in BDO

I love how games, at their beginning, are filled with solutions like this one.  A bug occurs, there is a pile of finger pointing, and people end up with things like memtest.

I know the OP is just trying to help.  I get it.  Thank you for that.  However, pointing at hardware issues is a time honored tradition when dealing with game bugs.  I have seen it literally thousands of times.  It's like when you call up tech support for your IP when your connection is borked.  What is the first thing they ask you?  Please unplug your modem from your router and plug it directly into your computer.  How many times was it your router?  ZERO.  How many times does tech support point at your hardware, but then it is just "magically" fixed later without you doing a single thing.  Every daum time...

Lets point the finger where it belongs please.  Daum will eventually fix this issue.  Thousands of people will no longer have constant crashes due to corrupted files.  Guess what, not a single one of them needed memtest to do it.  Don't risk messing up your computer because someone in a thread told you this was "the fix".  You are far more likely to hurt your computer instead of fix this issue.

FYI, I built my first computer 26 years ago.  I have worked in technical support and IT.  Informal forum "helpdesk" has it's place, but please only use processes and programs you have experience with.

9 people like this

Posted

Did all of these and none of these "solutions" work. I´m playing many other games, many of them are alpha or in beta states and they are STILL more stable than the released BDO...totally annoying and ridiculous

3 people like this

Posted

Can you please fix this shit soon ? Im realy annoyed over this problem. No nothing is wrong with my RAM.

Posted

This problem just started to happen to me today and I've been playing since alpha plz fix this shit.

Posted (edited)

i kept having the same problem in the end it was as simple as turning something off in windows.

go control panel>power options> choose what the power buttons do(left hand side)>change setttings that are currently unavailable>un-tick turn on fast start up.

fixed the problem

Edited by Retinastorm

Posted

Thank you to the OP for this. I had issues with updating for the patch today and restarted my computer and ran the file check on the launcher and it worked. I have book marked this for future reference should I need it and have come to the conclusion that I need to restart my computer on patch days prior to patching to, hopefully, stop the errors from occurring. I have been playing since head start and this morning was the first time I have ever had an error pop up while patching.

Anyhow, thanks so much!

Posted (edited)

Little update, my so claimed not faulty ram was apparently faulty. 

1 of my 4GB sticks apparently had errors, I removed it and have been playing without problems since the first day I posted in this thread.

Though, still unsure how this problem could past by without any noticeable errors until BDO? Maybe because this game uses such a shitton of ram, it's almost a Memtest itself lol

Edit: Maybe for the lazy:
I did a complete test of all my RAMs still on the MB over night with memtest. When I woke up I saw that an error has occured, but I was not techsavy enough to know which one by looking at the log.

So I proceeded to start up my PC with only 1 RAM and use the windows integrated RAM test. Let it finish, put in the next ram. This process just felt faster to me and even though the windows integrated test could not ecactly tell me where the error occured like memtest, I still found the faulty one and plugged it out. Been playing for days without problems!

Edited by femrilu

Posted (edited)

MY PROBLEM WAS FIXED WITH THE PATCH YESTERDAY.

After a week of support telling me it was my fault that the game was crashing every 10-20 min with the file corrupted error.  After countless hours wasted testing my perfectly good memory... I get a final response to my ticket telling me it must be my O/S and to reinstall.

Here was my response:

Well for a problem that is ALL on my end, isn’t interesting that something in the last patch seems to have corrected the problem?

Since the last patch, I have had 0 crashes and have played the game for several hours at a time with no issues.

So let me recap:

- It wasn’t my memory

- It wasn’t my O/S

- It wasn’t my fault

I know a lot of other people have been having this issue since launch. I think you should point this out to the developers as I see no reason to believe that a future patch won’t bring back this issue. I know my issue started after a patch and another patch solved it.

Please don’t let your customers down. We spend a lot of money on this game and deserve to have a good experience.

I hope this is the last time this bug shows up for me, but if it does return, I hope you can offer me a solution other than telling me its my system when it is now clearly demonstrated to have been server side.

Edited by marcusmagnus

Posted

After seeing this post, I decided to sign up and reply to further help with this issue and perhaps open new methods on solving this File Corrupt issue

My first experience with this issue was early at it's release. Even after doing what was suggested, nothing would solve it. It just eventually, solved it self with one of the later patches and I just stopped getting the error. That was until about a couple weeks ago when I started to explore the Mediah area and I would randomly get file corrupt errors once again. My ram is perfectly fine, and deleting the version.dat file appears to actually do nothing but do a file check to see if there are missing files

Sometime ago, I read about how the game keeps massively huge log files. I had about 1 gig worth of logs. After a File Corrupt error, I went and looked for the most recent Client Log (there are 3 log files, Client, StartUp and Launcher). At the very bottom of the client log, it actually lists the corrupt file. A .PAZ file. So I went and looking for the file in the Paz folder. Found it, and deleted it. I then started up the launcher. To my surprise, the launcher didn't actually detect that a file was missing. So I closed it, and deleted the version.dat file, relaunched the launcher. Which forces it to do a file check. At the end, it redownloaded the file I had deleted. And this is why I believe deleting the version.dat file on it's own does nothing. The NEW file was bigger. It was a completely different file size (I know because the file I deleted was still in the recycle bin for me to compare it to)

Deleting the version.dat file on it's own never actually redownloaded the file, even though the file size was different. I have since then had about 8 file corrupt errors, all different files, and in every case, after deleting and redownloading them, they were different file sizes. Most just by a few kb, and a couple others by 1-2 megs. They have all been different files too, never the same two. The biggest relation between the files though, is they all were of the same date and nearly same time, around the time I installed the beta. Like I got a bad batch of files between a certain time frame

So all those times I deleted the version.dat file didn't actually check to see if the file was corrupt or if the file size meets what it 'should' be. It seems to simply look what's missing, sees that the file exists, and moves on. If someone wants to further experiment if this is true or not, feel free to do so. Also wouldn't mind seeing anyone else's thought on this

1 person likes this