• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

How do I say this without offending anyone?

59 posts in this topic

Posted

ranger, sorcerer, berserker, Valkyrie, warrior and tamer.

now add maewah and Musa 

I'd say its because the lore (fighting styles used) originate from those countries and should use those names to not cause confusion about what they are based on. 

It is really what someone else said about calling a ninja a ninja but I will elaborate. You may have noticed about how blader was confused for being made in the image of a samurai when devs then confirmed it was based on a korean warrior. Calling a class with a name from a certain language suggests that it is a type of warrior that uses martial arts from that country/culture which is probably what they are trying to indicate, whereas people may mistake 'blader' to mean a blade dancer from mmo-lore on in our case just assuming it was supposed to be a samurai.

Posted

how dare people suggest I learn new words or how to say them

game is literally Hitler

Posted

Until they introduced some of these god awful anime awakening weapons that make me want to cry.

Such as?
Not trying to be snarky - genuinely curious about which particular awakening weapons you consider to be "anime".

Posted

Blader is a ridiculous name unless we are talking about some cyber-punk setting.  Plum, yeah.....just no.....  The Korean names are a large improvement as far as I'm concerned.  Hell Swordsman and Swordswoman would have been an uninspired improvement.....

Posted

Such as?Not trying to be snarky - genuinely curious about which particular awakening weapons you consider to be "anime".

Valk and Warrior weapons are far too large.

Posted (edited)

I personally don't have a problem learning new words or how to pronounce them, knowledge is great.

Only thing for me is they just don't seem to fit the rest of the names which so far have all been pretty commonly recognized words for the English language. If all the other classes used similar names as these classes it would fit in perfectly. That's just my 2 cents though and won't really matter at the end of the day.

Plum is a bit strange though, makes me think of sugar plums.

Edited by Ramsickle

Posted

The cool thing is you can actually call them anything you want and no one can stop you. You can just call it Blader.

Posted

I personally don't have a problem learning new words or how to pronounce them, knowledge is great.

Only thing for me is they just don't seem to fit the rest of the names which so far have all been pretty commonly recognized words for the English language. If all the other classes used similar names as these classes it would fit in perfectly. That's just my 2 cents though.

Well you have the kunoichi class on the way and if I walked down a street in many american cities and asked random people on the street to define kunoichi I doubt many could.   Ninja is technically a foreign word as is valkyrie but obviously ninja has become quite well known in english speaking areas.  I would be curious how many people could actually define a valkyrie on the street.  Norse paganism is certainly trending these days so that helps.

Posted

Said like a true Murican!

too bad I'm Canadian!

Posted

Ah, regarding the size.
I'll agree that the Valk lance does seem to be a bit large, though I'd like to see how it looks without that over-the-top gold feather design. Maybe some of the other lance designs will make it look a bit slimmer.
My apologies, I thought you were saying that regarding some of the designs.

Regardless, I'll agree with you - the proportion of those particular awakening weapons seem a bit extreme, and don't seem as realistic. Though I suspect that it's to draw attention/make the "tank" classes more appealing, as well as "specializing" them, in a sense.

Posted

"I need a musa" Idk why but that sounds so -----ing funny

Posted (edited)

Well you have the kunoichi class on the way and if I walked down a street in many american cities and asked random people on the street to define kunoichi I doubt many could.   Ninja is technically a foreign word as is valkyrie but obviously ninja has become quite well known in english speaking areas.  I would be curious how many people could actually define a valkyrie on the street.  Norse paganism is certainly trending these days so that helps.

Would definitely be interesting to see results in something like that. Some words have definitely become more common over the years to some degree, kunoichi I only know from playing other games over my lifetime.

too bad I'm Canadian!

Guard our maple syrup with pride.

Edited by Ramsickle

Posted

I'm not sure why they didn't came up with more western names, even if they didn't use plum and blader. I'll still call them plum and blader since the first i can't even write properly, but it's a non factor really..

Posted

This game is very particular about its realism, 

Until they introduced some of these god awful anime awakening weapons that make me want to cry.

Like the oversized two-handed Warrior sword...

giphy.gif

Posted

too bad I'm Canadian!

Mmmmmmmm poutineeee. But the attitude from south of the boarder is rubbing off.

Posted

Like the oversized two-handed Warrior sword...

I completely agree. Also, the Tamers hellhound is clearly larger then a real life hellhound. No way could she ever tame that beast. 

Also, how doesn't the Witch suffer frostbite from her Blizzards? Seriously!? COME ON!

1 person likes this

Posted

Mmmmmmmm poutineeee. But the attitude from south of the boarder is rubbing off.

Lol I didn't mean to be ignorant. I just find it stupid that they intended on westernizing the content but those names don't scream "western" at all. They're even worse then their original names...

Posted

I completely agree. Also, the Tamers hellhound is clearly larger then a real life hellhound. No way could she ever tame that beast. 

Also, how doesn't the Witch suffer frostbite from her Blizzards? Seriously!? COME ON!

Right, because when I say I dislike X, Y, and Z, I must also dislike the entire alphabet.  

Posted

Lol I didn't mean to be ignorant. I just find it stupid that they intended on westernizing the content but those names don't scream "western" at all. They're even worse then their original names...

They should call them Cowboy and Independent Western Woman then.

2 people like this

Posted

Now that's funny ;) 

Posted

Now now, if we want to stay in theme it would be Cowboy and Saloon Whore.  Independant Western Woman's counter part would of course have to be something like Stay at Home Dad?

Posted

This topic is invalid. We are now using words like "martial art" which came from the same source, so you should be able to accept "musa" or "musha" too.

And, hell, there are ninja/kunoichi, what "localized" word do you want to use for those class?

Posted

Ignorance is not bliss, keep it to yourself.  You pretty much just stomped on Korea history here you should be ashamed of your narrow outlook on other races culture.

Posted

i think you will have problem also with ninja/kunoichi cuz u know they are not american words.

1 person likes this

Posted

This topic is invalid. We are now using words like "martial art" which came from the same source, so you should be able to accept "musa" or "musha" too.

And, hell, there are ninja/kunoichi, what "localized" word do you want to use for those class?

While I personally think ninja/kunoichi are fine a western name would be assassin/femme fatale.