• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

175 posts in this topic

Posted

I never asked you to point something out for me. I was asking the guy that posted it not you. Why do you assume that everything we write in here is to you ? 

you quoted me, with no indication to the other person.

as for the proof thing i provided mine, again, you were probably referring to the other guy.

as for only have a 150 ppl, a sample size is still a sample size, albeit it would be better to get a lot more people considered there a 100,000 preorders, however when it comes to putting a topic on a forum and running a poll, the sample is rather random, especially with the topic title (for poll post) the title of which simply says naming and issue around it, it doesn't say whether to change one way or another, therefore having a less likely possibility of attracting just people who see my same point of view, but rather a random sample that sees the word "naming" and then wonders what direction this may take. i could have gotten even more random poll and just put down BDO poll but i feel that would have been a misleading title given that most would probably think it's a dev poll. where as with the petition, in the title alone, people know what they're getting into so it attracts people who have a stronger stances on either side of the topic.

so even though it may seem like a joke the sample is still a rather decent sample, given that it meets the parameters of being within the population (BDO community) and is as random as i could make it without seemingly impersonating a dev.

now would the sample be better working with only pre orders? quite possibly, but at the same time, some people may not have pre order for the reason the poll is adressing (i doubt it in this particular topic, but it's still a possibility)

would the sample be better with greater numbers? most definitely, but making another poll isn't going to help, instead it's just going to water down what we already have. bumping and continued discussion will have it become more popular, but i'm not going to obnoxiously bump every time i see the poll go off the first page, I'll bump up if i see that there may be a need to for the sake of the post but that's it.

as for the percent thing, given that it only gives percents with no total number we cant say its 1000 or something, because a lot of number combinations could give those percents, in that 95% thing. it's easier with a thousand because of the .5 in some of the percents.

everything else you mention is pretty valid

Posted (edited)

you quoted me, with no indication to the other person.

as for the proof thing i provided mine, again, you were probably referring to the other guy.

as for only have a 150 ppl, a sample size is still a sample size, albeit it would be better to get a lot more people considered there a 100,000 preorders, however when it comes to putting a topic on a forum and running a poll, the sample is rather random, especially with the topic title (for poll post) the title of which simply says naming and issue around it, it doesn't say whether to change one way or another, therefore having a less likely possibility of attracting just people who see my same point of view, but rather a random sample that sees the word "naming" and then wonders what direction this may take. i could have gotten even more random poll and just put down BDO poll but i feel that would have been a misleading title given that most would probably think it's a dev poll. where as with the petition, in the title alone, people know what they're getting into so it attracts people who have a stronger stances on either side of the topic.

so even though it may seem like a joke the sample is still a rather decent sample, given that it meets the parameters of being within the population (BDO community) and is as random as i could make it without seemingly impersonating a dev.

now would the sample be better working with only pre orders? quite possibly, but at the same time, some people may not have pre order for the reason the poll is adressing (i doubt it in this particular topic, but it's still a possibility)

would the sample be better with greater numbers? most definitely, but making another poll isn't going to help, instead it's just going to water down what we already have. bumping and continued discussion will have it become more popular, but i'm not going to obnoxiously bump every time i see the poll go off the first page, I'll bump up if i see that there may be a need to for the sake of the post but that's it.

as for the percent thing, given that it only gives percents with no total number we cant say its 1000 or something, because a lot of number combinations could give those percents, in that 95% thing. it's easier with a thousand because of the .5 in some of the percents.

everything else you mention is pretty valid

I quoted Cellulas, because he was the one posting those voting poles. Yes, i was talking to that other guy about the proof.

You seems a clever guy so maybe you should create a proper post with a proper title with a voting pole, otherwise i doubt we will see any changes.

So you are assuming that i'm impersonating "Dev's" ? Dev is my nickname, it has nothing to do with "Dev's" When you say "Dev" you are talking to me, but when you say "Dev's" you are talking about them. My nickname comes from a different thing and it doesn't mean "developer". I don't have to tell you where it comes from but "Dev" in indian language means god, so you are saying that indians were impersonating developers ? :D 

Only ppl that pre ordered should be considered since this is a buy to play game. Why someone who didn't even bought the game should be allowed to vote ?

If someone didn't pre ordered because he didn't like it, it's his choice.

If you think another voting pole won't do anything better than don't do it.

About those numbers i said that it's at least a 1000 and that's for sure it can be a 10 000 too i don't know and i'm not going to count it untill i'll see that it's real :) 

Anyway i think that i said what i wanted to and i'm not going to comment any more in this topic untill i'll see where that voting pole is from or someone quoting me, although i wish you best luck with what you are fighting for. 

Edited by Dev

Posted

good for you, about 9999 more ppl and maybe they will change it to free character names....

i didn't pre order just to save a name though. also you make it sound like i'm the only one who wants the ability to name their character whatever they want. also i am sure there will be plenty of people who will miss out on the name they want even with the pre order

Posted (edited)

i didn't pre order just to save a name though. also you make it sound like i'm the only one who wants the ability to name their character whatever they want. also i am sure there will be plenty of people who will miss out on the name they want even with the pre order

Vote then, don't quote me. It has nothing do to with me, more ppl voting bigger chance for a change.

Edited by Dev

Posted

I quoted Cellulas, because he was the one posting those voting poles. Yes, i was talking to that other guy about the proof.

You seems a clever guy so maybe you should create a proper post with a proper title with a voting pole, otherwise i doubt we will see any changes.

So you are assuming that i'm impersonating "Dev's" ? Dev is my nickname, it has nothing to do with "Dev's" When you say "Dev" you are talking to me, but when you say "Dev's" you are talking about them. My nickname comes from a different thing and it doesn't mean "developer". I don't have to tell you where it comes from but "Dev" in indian language means god, so you are saying that indians were impersonating developers ? :D 

Only ppl that pre ordered should be considered since this is a buy to play game. Why someone who didn't even bought the game should be allowed to vote ?

If someone didn't pre ordered because he didn't like it, it's his choice.

If you think another voting pole won't do anything better than don't do it.

About those numbers i said that it's at least a 1000 and that's for sure it can be a 10 000 too i don't know and i'm not going to count it untill i'll see that it's real :) 

Anyway i think that i said what i wanted to and i'm not going to comment any more in this topic untill i'll see where that voting pole is from or someone quoting me, although i wish you best luck with what you are fighting for. 

woah, no i'm not assuming you're impersonating the Devs, i consider your name Dev just a name, cool roots though. i believe a poll title for one particular topic called "BDO poll" would be similar to impersonating the devs. because it sounds like the title to an end of beta poll. it's misleading. as for the rest, fair point.
there are other ways to get numbers for the poll, and i'll most likely continue work on it through CBT2, if anything, if it appeared in the feedback doc, that Daum did maybe the numbers would reflect what the 150 is or it may end up vastly different. There were quite a few questions that appeared that was very much inspired by the forums, so even if the poll doesn't get them to make a change, it could appear in the feedback questions and spread to more people.

Posted

woah, no i'm not assuming you're impersonating the Devs, i consider your name Dev just a name, cool roots though. i believe a poll title for one particular topic called "BDO poll" would be similar to impersonating the devs. because it sounds like the title to an end of beta poll

I miss understood you then.

as for the rest, fair point.there are other ways to get numbers for the poll, and i'll most likely continue work on it through CBT2, if anything, if it appeared in the feedback doc, that Daum did maybe the numbers would reflect what the 150 is or it may end up vastly different. There were quite a few questions that appeared that was very much inspired by the forums, so even if the poll doesn't get them to make a change, it could appear in the feedback questions and spread to more people.

Good luck with that, you might need it :D 

1 person likes this

Posted

I miss understood you then.

Good luck with that, you might need it :D 

Welp, official announcement, it's a no go. bummer. well bright side, it's not a core gameplay mechanic. gonna have to move fast to secure my name now i guess.

Posted

Welp, official announcement, it's a no go. bummer. well bright side, it's not a core gameplay mechanic. gonna have to move fast to secure my name now i guess.

Time to train the "fastfingers" skill.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Did they explain why?

Why would it be hard to make non-unique first names?

I mean, honestly, if I see Xs and 123s in peoples names, that'd gonna ruin the immersion so bad. XxSephiroth vs Sephiroth vs Xs3ph1r0th like dear god. So I honestly hope they don't allow people to have numbers in their names. Undo the CBT1 name policy.

Edited by Czar

Posted

Did they explain why?

Why would it be hard to make non-unique first names?

I mean, honestly, if I see Xs and 123s in peoples names, that'd gonna ruin the immersion so bad. XxSephiroth vs Sephiroth vs Xs3ph1r0th like dear god. So I honestly hope they don't allow people to have numbers in their names. Undo the CBT1 name policy.

No they haven't said why but I'm assuming it has to do with the Pre-order promise. since there are some that pre-order for the name reservation, and also since BDO doesn't want to make any sort of rework on the pre-order since it'll cause backlash if they do, and it's causing backlash since they don't i guess their hands are tied in a way, despite probably being able to do something to appease the masses. (as for the no change thing i'm mainly referring to the costume backlash they're receiving which predominantly stems from poor advertising wording, and poor wording as to why it is how it is)

that's what i think it is anyway. would still like to see them change it. sent a letter in inquiring as to why and as to how they said they will make changes as too popular feedback, so hopefully, they can at least give a reason why.

Posted

No they haven't said why but I'm assuming it has to do with the Pre-order promise. since there are some that pre-order for the name reservation, and also since BDO doesn't want to make any sort of rework on the pre-order since it'll cause backlash if they do, and it's causing backlash since they don't i guess their hands are tied in a way, despite probably being able to do something to appease the masses. (as for the no change thing i'm mainly referring to the costume backlash they're receiving which predominantly stems from poor advertising wording, and poor wording as to why it is how it is)

that's what i think it is anyway. would still like to see them change it. sent a letter in inquiring as to why and as to how they said they will make changes as too popular feedback, so hopefully, they can at least give a reason why.

Gotcha. Thank you for that clarification. 
I mean if they can change it after the game starts, that's fine. But, honestly, I can't envision what backlash there would be. Because I'm sure more people will be pissed when they can't grab the first name "Bob" cuz someone got it a second earlier.

Posted

Gotcha. Thank you for that clarification. I mean if they can change it after the game starts, that's fine. But, honestly, I can't envision what backlash there would be. Because I'm sure more people will be pissed when they can't grab the first name "Bob" cuz someone got it a second earlier.

some people really like having a name to themselves despite having a different family name. 
for example using just a first name
Ralix would be upset if he saw Ralit because there are now two Rali_ (the _ indicates anything that can com after)

John Fire is upset he's not the only John and that there is a John Wind

and then theres other people that have a brand name handle cause they're a youtuber or something (which i kind of understand)

Posted

And name stealers that damages ur image 

Posted

still i think with a family name it kind of solves those problems so character name could be freed up to be non-unique, but there'll always be those who don't feel that way.

Posted

*typing 29031128313789126 words a millisecond* ...bet i still won't get the name i want....i wonder where you can set the name when it happens...website?

Posted

they probably give that info in the next diary

Posted

+1

To be honest I originally was under the impression that Family name serves this purpose (as thread states). I was disappointed to see otherwise. This would be a huge plus for me.

Posted

gotta agree, please make only family names unique and let people identify as those in chat

Posted

gotta agree, please make only family names unique and let people identify as those in chat

Please stop already.... 

Posted

Agreed in a setting where names and people are everything its important to be able to immerse yourself.

it seems ...strange that a game in this era doesnt have a naming system that atleast disallows Spaces or double-letter pairings.

For example: Meena  is a completely traditional name in some countries as is Hannah, and the like. A lot of names aren't usable due to spelling alone.

Posted

+1 for this

Posted

+1 to this. I thought family names served that purpose.

Posted

no

Posted

no

Why not? it will make people choose better names instead of adding some weird char after the name so they can have something lookalike

Posted

The whole point to having a unique handle/id/family name is to make each account unique, why have character names be unique on top of that? This only makes it harder and worse, as it will ruin immersion in the game.

+1 Support.