• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Would i get much improvement if I upgraded my i5 2500k sandy bridge to something else?

18 posts in this topic

Posted

It seems to run things ok in conjunction with my 970.  But just curious what everyone things about that cpu these days.

Posted

Game is more cpu dependent than gpu....so depending on what you went for then yes.

Posted (edited)

If you got an i7, probably.

If you're not already overclocking I would start with that though. 

That is the exact CPU I have at 4ghz,  but I have a 960 gtx OC, and I run at 40-50fps almost everywhere. Max settings minus "high end mode".

Edited by Gungan

Posted (edited)

What kind of performance are you getting now?  What would you want to see improved? Just keep in mind no matter the CPU you get, you will still have performance drops in cities.

One of my rigs is an i5 2500k and an i7 4770k. I don't loathe playing on my i5 at all. Even though some will undoubtedly try to trash your 2500k, it's not a bad piece of hardware. And as others have said, it overclocks very well. I haven't done that to mine though. But it certainly is an option.

So it depends on your expectations and your budget. If you are cheap, I say rock that thing till the wheels fall off.

Edited by Luciferia

Posted (edited)

It seems to run things ok in conjunction with my 970.  But just curious what everyone things about that cpu these days.

Stay in i3-5 range, get a proc with higher clockrate.

If you don't have use for an i7, you don't need an i7.
If you don't know what you would need an i7 for, you probably don't need an i7.

Most i7s have lower clockrate to compensate for more cores, many games benefit from higher clockspeed rather than more cores.
unless you have $$$$$$$$$$$ to spend bb then hit meup.

Higher clockrate also helps your gpus power as well, iirc, more so than more cores does.

Edited by War

Posted

Stay in i3-5 range, get a proc with higher clockrate.

If you don't have use for an i7, you don't need an i7.
If you don't know what you would need an i7 for, you probably don't need an i7.

Most i7s have lower clockrate to compensate for more cores, many games benefit from higher clockspeed rather than more cores.
unless you have $$$$$$$$$$$ to spend bb then hit meup.

Higher clockrate also helps your gpus power as well, iirc, more so than more cores does.

an i7 doesn't have "more" cores. it's a quad core CPU with hyperthreading to simulate 8 cores. it shows up as 4 physical cores and 4 logical cores. hyperthreading is really just better task/thread scheduling..think of it this way: one task only uses around 30% of a thread. so instead of passing any new tasks onto a new thread, the cpu uses the remaining 70% of the first thread for the second task. that's how it can simulate having 8 cores.

Posted

Game is more cpu dependent than gpu....so depending on what you went for then yes.

This is 2016 not 2002.

Gaming is more GPU dependent that CPU. (✿◡‿◡)

Posted

This is 2016 not 2002.

Statement is correct but BDO utilises CPU power a lot more than most modern games do. I know people with 970 and 980s that get shitty 40-50 fps due to cpu bottleneck

Posted

This is 2016 not 2002.

This is 2016, not 2002.....the age of information technology.

Learn about the game ;)

Posted

You won't see a difference at all. I have a cpu usage monitor and on max settings never has BDO usage gone over 60%, generally it's at 25%.

RAM usage on the other hand spikes to 100% occasionally during rendering even at 16gb.

With a good GPU like a 970 or 980, i5 2500k caps out min/max FPS.

bdo_proz.png

Posted

This is 2016, not 2002.....the age of information technology.

Learn about the game ;)

Whatever pleases you oh mighty one (✿◡‿◡)

Posted

Its common knowledge MMO games need a fast CPU, but this game got good graphics, so a strong GPU is also needed to keep the fps up at crowded places. 

IDK if it is my CPU or GPU, but im on a i5 3570k @ 4,2Ghz and AMD 7970 gpu. game is at 60 fps with low settings and other setting on. but in large boss fights the fps goes rly low. I could play on High, but then when there is ppl around it rly kills the fps.

You won't see a difference at all. I have a cpu usage monitor and on max settings never has BDO usage gone over 60%, generally it's at 25%.

RAM usage on the other hand spikes to 100% occasionally during rendering even at 16gb.

With a good GPU like a 970 or 980, i5 2500k caps out min/max FPS.

bdo_proz.png

this is a good overall overwiev of the CPU performance, but I would like to see the test they did. Im 100% sure this test has no massive amount of players on the screen, not in a city and so on. probably the fps when you spawn in Olvia.

Posted

Well like I said I have CPU/RAM usage monitor all the time, and on boss fights of course my FPS drops significantly too but even then my CPU is never over 60% usage, however RAM will spike to 100% regularly during boss fights.

Posted (edited)

I haven't heard of the CPU being the bottleneck for any system for like 10 years. lol.  CPU's have been waiting for other components to catch up for a decade.  But ok. 

People are always convinced that their CPU is the problem in their system though... My friend swore up and down that my 4 year old CPU I gave him was holding his computer back. I said "It's not".  He bought a new one and got 1 more FPS... I laughed at him.

Edited by Pufferfish

Posted

won't increase much, better invest on gpu, ssd and cooling

Posted

2500k+970 can run anything at max. This game has weird options tho, don't activate high end mode.

Posted

I have a i5-2500k at 4.300MHz and a GTX 970 But getting terrible fps in Calpheon... But i guess this is normal Getting like 30-35 fps in calpheon 

Posted

I have a i5-2500k at 4.300MHz and a GTX 970 But getting terrible fps in Calpheon... But i guess this is normal Getting like 30-35 fps in calpheon 

yeah that would be normal in calpheon. People have posted some pretty high end rigs that still did the same in that city.