• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Keep Korean names for Blader & Plum (Musa & Maehwa)

31 posts in this topic

Posted

2b1073f432ff18903a32d14593a1bd31.thumb.p

I think it would be much more lore-accurate (and interesting) if we kept the names Musa and Maehwa for Blader and Plum, respectively.  This is especially considering that Musa and Maehwa come from the region known as the "Far East" (Ninja, Kunoichi, and Tamer also come from this area).  I suggest this because "Blader" sounds somewhat awkward to many, and "Ronin"/"Samurai" (as I've seen him called) are inaccurate considering both classes were based more on Korean swordsmanship.  I would suggest this for Tamer as well, but I don't know quite what her intended name is, or if it isn't just a catchall rather than something specific.

126c041837cc234b26b0c1a3e856d078.thumb.p

(As an aside: It would be great to see the "Far East" some day!)

5 people like this

Posted

2b1073f432ff18903a32d14593a1bd31.thumb.p

I think it would be much more lore-accurate (and interesting) if we kept the names Musa and Maehwa for Blader and Plum, respectively.  This is especially considering that Musa and Maehwa come from the region known as the "Far East" (Ninja, Kunoichi, and Tamer also come from this area).  I suggest this because "Blader" sounds somewhat awkward to many, and "Ronin"/"Samurai" (as I've seen him called) are inaccurate considering both classes were based more on Korean swordsmanship.  I would suggest this for Tamer as well, but I don't know quite what her intended name is, or if it isn't just a catchall rather than something specific.

126c041837cc234b26b0c1a3e856d078.thumb.p

(As an aside: It would be great to see the "Far East" some day!)

I agree, Blader and Plum just sound...a little too generic and off. What exactly is a Plum in the context of a class name? Googling Plum's definition, none of these make sense: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/plum , Are they just...extremely valuable and wanted women? That seems just...off for a name. IMO.

And Blader is -just- as bad if not worse because...Yeah, I get why it's named Blader, it's just super generic and boring. It's like naming it Blademaster or something. Just meh.

Posted

I agree, Blader and Plum just sound...a little too generic and off. What exactly is a Plum in the context of a class name? Googling Plum's definition, none of these make sense: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/plum , Are they just...extremely valuable and wanted women? That seems just...off for a name. IMO.

And Blader is -just- as bad if not worse because...Yeah, I get why it's named Blader, it's just super generic and boring. It's like naming it Blademaster or something. Just meh.

Yeah, Blader's even weirder since it's not even a real word.  It's like naming the Warrior "Sworder" or the Ranger "Bower".  :S

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

+1, especially the fact that they are supposed to be Korean warriors. I think RUS named Blader as Ronin but can't be 100% sure because of google translate ;p I think it's important to retain the original idea of the devs

Tamer/Beast Master's name in Korea is 금수랑 and I don't have a clue on how you read it, could read Korean a bit long ago.

And yup, seeing the Far East sounds awesome.

Edited by Seraph

Posted

+1, especially the fact that they are supposed to be Korean warriors. I think RUS named Blader as Ronin but can't be 100% sure because of google translate ;p I think it's important to retain the original idea of the devs

nah it's Musa in RU 

Posted

Not only are they more lore accurate but they sound ridiculously better, too. I hope they consider this.

As for Tamer, I personally think Beast Master would do just fine. Maybe Summoner, even, though I'd rather they save that for a more magic-based pet class if they ever make one.

Posted (edited)

nah it's Musa in RU 

It's Musa in the client because of the patch we're using but see here https://gamenet.ru/games/blackdesert/post/15UCHV/

If you google translate it's Ronin or something (Ронина)

Edited by Seraph

Posted

It's Musa in the client because of the patch we're using but see here https://gamenet.ru/games/blackdesert/post/15UCHV/

If you google translate it's Ronin or something (Ронина)

oh okay I see

I thought the english patch was just roughly translating the Russian hence Musa

Posted

oh okay I see

I thought the english patch was just roughly translating the Russian hence Musa

Nah, if we were translating Russian directly we'd be seeing things like the Shai called something else and Florin called "The Shire".  Mithrandir was also in there for a while before it got changed.

The major Russian lore changes are pretty cringey.

Posted

Her name comes from some of her combos I think. Petals of the plum tree fly along with her slashes and I guess the name is a reference to that.

plum-tree-picture.jpg

Posted

Her name comes from some of her combos I think. Petals of the plum tree fly along with her slashes and I guess the name is a reference to that.
plum-tree-picture.jpg

Or are the names of the attacks based from her name? See what I did there? haha

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Plum and Blader do indeed sound wierd

But I just can't say Kunoichi without error xD We don't use the combination "oichi" so how do we speak that correctly?

Edited by Dionysos
typo's

Posted (edited)

Plum and Blader do indeed sound wierd

But I just can't say Kunoichi without error xD We don't use "oichi" so how does that sound correct?

Kunoichi is an actual title that's used for female ninja though, more modernly. So it makes sense that that's her class name atleast in comparison to Plum or Blader which are both just entirely made up for whatever reason. o.0

Edited by MikeHeel

Posted

I think a more regionally appropriate name for this release would be fine. The literal name for the classes in the Korean client is "blader" and "plum". Go translate it from the Korean site if you'd like. Actually they even reference the female class as "f.blader" at various points. 

They do need a better name. I'm just not sold on your choice.. it's equally as strange as the other two options presented in this thread. At least to me. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I think a more regionally appropriate name for this release would be fine. The literal name for the classes in the Korean client is "blader" and "plum". Go translate it from the Korean site if you'd like. Actually they even reference the female class as "f.blader" at various points. 

They do need a better name. I'm just not sold on your choice.. it's equally as strange as the other two options presented in this thread. At least to me. 

The problem is, most people look at Blader and assume "Samurai" but they're Korean based and that's Japanese. So you need to think a generic name in order to avoid confusion and cultural mistakes. Hence...Blader. But Blader still isn't a word and Plum still has zero definition as to why a female based swords-woman is called such a thing.

Posted

Musa means "Warrior", though.  I'm not saying it doesn't mean "Blader" literally 'cause it very well might, but it's just a language variant of saying the equivalent of "Swordsman".  I'm really not sure about the connotation/connection to "Maehwa", as "Plum", but Musa fits and is just another word for "Warrior" in a different language and fits the culture they're inspired by, so that's why I presented it.

Posted (edited)

And for context, in the Korean game the classes are called by their English names.  Sorceress, for example, in KR is the phonetic spelling of "Sorcerer".  Literally the sounds "Soseoleo", which in Korean sounds exactly like "Sorcerer".

Warrior is "Wolieo" which with the pronunciation sounds exactly like "Warrior".  Ranger is "leinjeo", so-on and so-forth.  You can hear how the pronunciation works.  The same goes for all of the classes, except for Tamer, Musa, and Maehwa.

I cannot begin to tell you what Tamer's means because it translates to "geumsulang" which is why I hit a brick wall with that one, however in Chinese the word for beastmaster is "De shòuwáng" so maybe it's related to that since her skills use Chinese?  But in Korean Beastmaster is "yasu wang", so I'm guessing it's more close to the Korean definition.  Still, no idea.  Could be that it's something that a Korean player would understand more.  But Musa follows the same principle as all of the others.  It's named a specific way, likely as it would be referred to in-universe.  I'm assuming Maehwa is the same way.  What I'm saying is that if you asked a "Blader" character "What do you call your profession back home?", he'd probably say Musa, same for Maehwa and what she does/is.

Edited by Maevynn
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Plum still has zero definition as to why a female based swords-woman is called such a thing.

I dug into the concept a bit, and I'm wondering if it's related to a female version of Hwarang?  Korea seems to have a history of "beautiful warriors" being associated with flowers, so it might make sense from the definition of her being referred to as a "Plum Flower" warrior.

edit:

According to the Samguk Sagi and Samguk Yusa, two bands of females called Wonhwa (원화, 源花, "original flowers") preceded the Hwarang.

Edited by Maevynn

Posted (edited)

I dug into the concept a bit, and I'm wondering if it's related to a female version of Hwarang?  Korea seems to have a history of "beautiful warriors" being associated with flowers, so it might make sense from the definition of her being referred to as a "Plum Flower" warrior.

edit:

There is a korean fairytale about a warriorlady/princess Born from a plumtree... I'm pretty sure it's from this fairytale..

Maehwa simply means plum

Plum is a sweet fruit and Young females sometimes are called "sweet as a plum" aswell in Korea.. (rather old dynasties) this could be the 2nd origin

Edited by FlyingSquirrel
1 person likes this

Posted

edit:

Hm...Interesting. I still think they could do better then Plum, there's better flowers out there surely. Plum just still seems so off unless you really dig into it's meaning and at that point...Just leave what it is. haha "Foreign sounding class name" verse "Class name with a foreign and pretty hidden context but spelled out in english."

Posted

There is a korean fairytale about a warriorlady/princess Born from a plumtree... I'm pretty sure it's from this fairytale..

Maehwa simply means plum

Plum is a sweet fruit and Young females sometimes are called "sweet as a plum" aswell in Korea.. (rather old dynasties) this could be the 2nd origin

I'm not finding anything on it, but it could just not be online or something?  Searching "매화" only brings up the blossoms/branches, whereas if you search "자두" you get the actual fruits.  So there's clearly a different connotation between the words, I just don't know what it is.  :S

Hm...Interesting. I still think they could do better then Plum, there's better flowers out there surely. Plum just still seems so off unless you really dig into it's meaning and at that point...Just leave what it is. haha "Foreign sounding class name" verse "Class name with a foreign and pretty hidden context but spelled out in english."

Yeah, it seems pretty esoteric/unknowable from the perspective of a Western audience.  I don't really mind that too much though, but I'm sure it'd bug other people.  They could just as easily call her something like "Flower Warrior/Knight" or "Blossom Warrior/Knight" or something.

Posted

I'm not finding anything on it, but it could just not be online or something?  Searching "매화" only brings up the blossoms/branches, whereas if you search "자두" you get the actual fruits.  So there's clearly a different connotation between the words, I just don't know what it is.  :S

Yeah, it seems pretty esoteric/unknowable from the perspective of a Western audience.  I don't really mind that too much though, but I'm sure it'd bug other people.  They could just as easily call her something like "Flower Warrior/Knight" or "Blossom Warrior/Knight" or something.

End of the day, it's not a big deal at all. I just really wish Blader didn't have that generic of a name, Plum is easier to understand now that it has some explaination. Blader still just sounds so meh to me.

Posted

End of the day, it's not a big deal at all. I just really wish Blader didn't have that generic of a name, Plum is easier to understand now that it has some explaination. Blader still just sounds so meh to me.

Probably about 40% of the people I've introduced to the game have gone "Bladder?" as a joke.  It just sounds so awkward.  :S  But yeah, I can handle Plum.

Posted

I'd rather we actually secure an implementation timetable for them first.

Posted

probably not online.. have it in one or two korean fairytalebooks, many fairytales also aren't even translated into any other language but stayed korean only.. havn't seen an english one so far for this specific though.