• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

My devotion to BDO officially ends upon reaching level 45

110 posts in this topic

Posted

I have just reached level 45 and while I have enjoyed the experience immensely so far, the prospect of from now on being under constant threat of being PKed  deters me from continuing to level this toon further.  What doesn't make any sense to me is that PKing is obviously frowned upon, hence the Karma penalties. Why not allow players just to individually flag themselves as unPKable? To have such a wide variety of in-game pursuits to participate in, but insist that players leave themselves open to the whims of the lunatic fringe of PKers, is unacceptable.

6 people like this

Posted

Getting PK'd, at least on my server, has never happened to me. I too was hesitant to ding 45.. I am now 50 and not once have been engaged by anyone.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

I had the same feeling at the beginning but I quickly found out it's not even remotely as bad as I imagined.

At least on my server/channel combination it's pretty peaceful.

I'm currently level 51, almost 52, and I can count my PvP encounters on one hand.

I'm mostly playing alone, and was guildless until recently, so maybe that worked out in my favor.

While I can understand the frustration of suddenly being overwhelmed while minding my own business, giving up at this point just because you read too much into it would be a premature decision.

Edited by Che
typo
3 people like this

Posted

I hit 50 3 weeks after launch

I've been PK'd randomly exactly once. I've been attacked by a guild attempting to take a spot for guild quest exactly once. I've been ganked maybe 5 times by people in guilds we are at war with.

Since hitting 50 I've probably lost 30-40% xp from world boss/monster deaths.

If you can't handle the prospect of getting attacked, how do you even fight monsters?

3 people like this

Posted

I hit 50 3 weeks after launch

I've been PK'd randomly exactly once. I've been attacked by a guild attempting to take a spot for guild quest exactly once. I've been ganked maybe 5 times by people in guilds we are at war with.

Since hitting 50 I've probably lost 30-40% xp from world boss/monster deaths.

If you can't handle the prospect of getting attacked, how do you even fight monsters?

Lol yeah!

World bosses #1 cause of death by FAAAR. xD

Posted

. Why not allow players just to individually flag themselves as unPKable?

Now+go+find+an+actual+spot+to+camp+for+a+_594a99f4c7a4356fb5ea496a42fb4d85.png

4 people like this

Posted

Getting PK'd, at least on my server, has never happened to me. I too was hesitant to ding 45.. I am now 50 and not once have been engaged by anyone.

You aren't killing MOBs in places that are contested by people who are pushing for gear and levels. 

Posted

You aren't killing MOBs in places that are contested by people who are pushing for gear and levels. 

Considering OP is talking about just hitting 45 I don't see how this has any relevance. 

Posted

Reaching Lv.45 is an overly exaggerated experience. You don't immediately get ganked every five seconds upon hitting Lv.45. Chances are, if you don't act like an ass, throw around a nasty attitude, KS or harass people, you won't get purposely attacked.
If anything, it's an incredibly good incentive to start paying attention to your gear and your combat knowledge.

If you're on the leaderboards or your guild is constantly in GvGs then chances are you'll be killed every now and then. If you're just some random Joe or Jane who's out fishing or leveling their horse on a level 45+ character, then you'll be left alone 99% of the time.

Bottom line is BDO was originally a PvP sandbox game. PvP and PKing is a core element of the game. The came won't and never will be 100% PvE.
If you hit Lv.45, just keep on top of your gear and learn to watch your back. If you get killed, reflect on why you got killed. If it wasn't because you were acting like a jerk (or it's a grind spot held by a large group) then change channels.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the encouraging replies - I intend to at least persevere into the 50s. and I always keep myself to myself so I should not invite anyone to PK me unless by complete accident.

I do not however, accept that PKing is a core part of the game - if that's so, why is it penalized?

I also don't accept that it could be possible to gear up so well as to be practically invulnerable - if another player wants you to die, they need only bring a friend or more to tilt the odds in their favor.

Posted

Thanks for the encouraging replies - I intend to at least persevere into the 50s. and I always keep myself to myself so I should not invite anyone to PK me unless by complete accident.

I do not however, accept that PKing is a core part of the game - if that's so, why is it penalized?

I also don't accept that it could be possible to gear up so well as to be practically invulnerable - if another player wants you to die, they need only bring a friend or more to tilt the odds in their favor.

Same reason it was penalized in Lineage 2, UO, EvE, etc. It is there to allow players to kill each other for things such as holding farm spots, intimidation, and to start drama. the karma is there to make it so that it simply isn't mindless mass murder.

1 person likes this

Posted

Seriously it's just irrational insecurity.

Don't trust what you read on the forums and give it a try. You won't die as often as you seems to believe, and you may even like the fact that the message stating that you're not anymore in a safe place really means it.

If anything, from experience, you'll see that you'll end up with a more mature community who doesn't spit random shit around because "oh lol PvP toggle off, I can call name on you just deal with it" and mostly just mind their own buisness.

Posted (edited)

PvP is a core element in the game in regards to Node and Seige wars, which vastly impact the server and the game itself (taxes and such).
PvP is also important regarding endgame content such as holding down competitive grind spots, or world bosses.

However, the high karma penalties (from a flagged person killing an unflagged Lv.45+ person) are to deter people from being stupid about PvP (killing/griefing randoms over and over again). Think of it kind of like a "law". People know about it and are aware of the severe consequences should they perform said action, which will deter most from killing randomly since killing a few players will put a person into negative karma where they cannot enter major cities, and have to endure a very long mob grind to get rid of their negative karma. However, there will always be the few that will get their kicks from killing randoms, which goes into your second point..

Regarding your second point, it will be impossible to make yourself invulnerable. Unless you're jumping out of the gate with full ultimate +15 gear, you'll be taking some hits.
However, ask yourself this. The top PvPers (the ones who do have such gear) will hardly risk their karma by killing a random lowbie minding their own business. So then, who are the kinds of people that will be attacking said lowbies?
For the most part, these individuals lack any serious comprehension of the game's combat system and are out to simply try to kill people with mid-tier gear.
Will you be able to kill these individuals? Maybe. Maybe not.

However, chances are that if you keep on top of your gear, you at least won't get 1-shot. You'll be able to buy yourself enough time to gather your thoughts and either retaliate or flee.
Again though, I'll reiterate that this doesn't happen very often. By "very often" I mean from personal experience playing since Conq headstart and reaching Lv.45+ within the first few days, I've been randomly attacked less than three times.

Edit: There also seems to be a thread going on that has some useful points to it (if you can wade through the obvious bait/troll posts by some repliers) for general survivability. Though it's mostly tailored to PvP, it might be worth a look to see if you'll pick any tips up.

http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/72076-tips-for-non-pvpers/

Edited by Tsingani
3 people like this

Posted

The only time when u have to watch out for PKers is when grinding in the higher "tier" areas , for example zones with high density of mobs that also drop BiS items like accessories/latest armor pieces.

Witches/Shrine/Sausan r some of the must avoid for the weak at heart. Chances for u to get pk`d outside these zones r very slim unless u run into the nightshift turd killing afk fishers.

Posted

Considering OP is talking about just hitting 45 I don't see how this has any relevance. 

Considering I was replying to the guy who said he was 50 and hasn't been attacked much going from 45 to 50 it is extremely relevant.  There is not much competition for grinding spots at those levels any more. 

Posted

Ok bye, we wont miss you.

Posted (edited)

I have just reached level 45 and while I have enjoyed the experience immensely so far, the prospect of from now on being under constant threat of being PKed  deters me from continuing to level this toon further.  What doesn't make any sense to me is that PKing is obviously frowned upon, hence the Karma penalties. Why not allow players just to individually flag themselves as unPKable? To have such a wide variety of in-game pursuits to participate in, but insist that players leave themselves open to the whims of the lunatic fringe of PKers, is unacceptable.

95% of the playerbase wont PK you anyway, just stay away from the top pvp guilds and you will be fine.

Edited by Jiav

Posted

@

That's why I am not going to let myself reach 45. Many people say PKing isn't an issue. Many say it is. I just don't want to have to be constantly stressed out about it so I end up having to naked suicide every few days on a couple characters to slow leveling and stay under 45. If they would just move PvP level to 50 or make a quest at 44 to gate leveling we wouldn't have these problems.

Posted (edited)

im 50 and about 20% left to reach 51 i do my dailys and other stuff in mediah when its early so not many ppl online barly see ppl then at the main grind spots at peak times i just do my life skils gardning and fishing i never been ganked b4 

Edited by Khoru

Posted

Level 52 now. the only time i got PKed was when Abandoned monestary was full of nihilum and i tried to do a daily there, the second time was at Susans from 51-52, which was stupid on my part since i was trying to solo it.

Leveled to 50 as far as i could for PVP, but there's hardly any unless i'm being really stupid or intentionally go out looking for it.

literally the third OWPVP encounter i had was some git sorc saying 'leave or die' to me at helms. So i said OK and CCd and killed her. Guess i got lucky we were around the same gear level. Her guild then declared on us, but then it was a guild war. which was fun no concequence PVP.

Maybe im lucky, or people dont really like to OWPVP recklessly.

Posted

The real problem is the exp loss. At 50 1% is a lot, get killed 2-3 times and you wasted the day. It sucks. Since I'm 50 I've been killed only 5-6 times, just because now I avoid going in some places like Monastery...Honestly the exp penalty should be applied only for pve death, like crystals break, not -----ing pvp.

Posted

Then you don't accept how this game is.

PK is penalized to avoid a gankfest.

You can't level and gear being completely save because what is the point to owpvp then?

PvP is a core element in the game in regards to Node and Seige wars, which vastly impact the server and the game itself (taxes and such).PvP is also important regarding endgame content such as holding down competitive grind spots, or world bosses.

However, the high karma penalties (from a flagged person killing an unflagged Lv.45+ person) are to deter people from being stupid about PvP (killing/griefing randoms over and over again). Think of it kind of like a "law". People know about it and are aware of the severe consequences should they perform said action, which will deter most from killing randomly since killing a few players will put a person into negative karma where they cannot enter major cities, and have to endure a very long mob grind to get rid of their negative karma. However, there will always be the few that will get their kicks from killing randoms, which goes into your second point..

Regarding your second point, it will be impossible to make yourself invulnerable. Unless you're jumping out of the gate with full ultimate +15 gear, you'll be taking some hits.
However, ask yourself this. The top PvPers (the ones who do have such gear) will hardly risk their karma by killing a random lowbie minding their own business. So then, who are the kinds of people that will be attacking said lowbies?
For the most part, these individuals lack any serious comprehension of the game's combat system and are out to simply try to kill people with mid-tier gear.
Will you be able to kill these individuals? Maybe. Maybe not.

However, chances are that if you keep on top of your gear, you at least won't get 1-shot. You'll be able to buy yourself enough time to gather your thoughts and either retaliate or flee.
Again though, I'll reiterate that this doesn't happen very often. By "very often" I mean from personal experience playing since Conq headstart and reaching Lv.45+ within the first few days, I've been randomly attacked less than three times.

Edit: There also seems to be a thread going on that has some useful points to it (if you can wade through the obvious bait/troll posts by some repliers) for general survivability. Though it's mostly tailored to PvP, it might be worth a look to see if you'll pick any tips up.

http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/72076-tips-for-non-pvpers/

This.

Is it so difficult to understand? I really don't get why someone plays a game that isn't carebear friendly.

The only part in this game you "could" avoid completely are life skills. Bosses, dungeons and gear are a PvPvE thing which means you can't avoid PvP completely.

It's the same if someone is worried about wow doesn't being full loot owpvp, that would be silly.

Posted (edited)

There's multiple ways to get away from penalization. I could cast a war delcaration on your guild and suddenly I can kill all of you with no remorse .

CM's have said they intended to have PvE and PvP married in this game as it gives it a realistic feeling with real consequences.

Edited by Catclaw

Posted

There's multiple ways to get away from penalization. I could cast a war delcaration on your guild and suddenly I can kill all of you with no remorse .

I'm out of reputation to give today. +1

NOTE: For those who don't know, our version of the game doesn't have guild war upkeep costs, unlike the version the in-game wiki gets it's information from, which quite frankly is very problematic.

Posted

Don't be a coward and just play. Unless you are grinding around some dumbass, you'll be safe most of the time.

1 person likes this