• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

"Gender Lock" Poll - For All your Gender Bending Desires   99 votes

1. 1. Please choose an option that best reflects your in-game desire on the matter of Gender Locked classes...

• I understand that I won't have the Gender I want upon release, but please offer me a free option of changing my gender to the desired gender once it becomes available.
    • No matter what class ever comes out never EVER EVER Make more Gender Locked classes, it doesn't matter if there is lore, we want the ability to play a boy or girl of any class.
    • I understand that gender equivalent classes exists, please attempt to expedite those classes to the NA servers as soon as possible, this will quell my thrust for blood.
    • Same as 4....but.... add more gender equivalents to classes that do not have them yet.
    • Change the Naming Conventions of the classes to make them not seem so dissimilar.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

44 posts in this topic

Posted

Because this seems to be such a hot topic I have made a poll and attempted to summarize the basic desires. 

Links from the three most recent topics have been added below.

There is some really good feed back in some of these, so I advise before you place your vote you read the articles!

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I can see where the dislike for genderlock comes from. It's 2016, where's my gender equality? 

But there should be a poll option for those who feel "genderlocked classes aren't a big deal". To represent those in the community who feel this way. Otherwise the poll is rather biased and won't give give us any real feedback.

Personally! I don't mind genderlocked classes, it's kind of the norm when I enter Korean MMOs. But I wouldn't mind seeing some gender equality.

Edited by Cheshire
1 person likes this

Posted

Good idea. The poll might give the often ninja like mods and developers a simple 1 stop place to get some information as to how the community wants their genders bent.

I for one, am all for the the possibility of the free transformation at release. It's a solid idea. It's been done in other MMOs and could be a life saver to many. 

I'm afraid it could be exploited though. People love to abuse the system and that makes things just plain evil for everyone else. Crap... You just can't win. It almost feel like you would need to fill an application for the class and gender change to avoid exploitation....

I'm such a negative fellow. 

I made myself sad. 

I need a hug now

Ugh no one understands me *flips bangs to the side*

Posted

Alright Emo-Deej. <3

My suggestion was made in one of the other posts to actually have it be a button on character creation section just for release. Adding to that though, it should only ever be a one time thing. Unless they have change tickets that you can later buy in shop.

Posted (edited)

To be truthful I just want them to add a "remove wrinkles" to the Wizard. otherwise speed up gender equivalent classes.

I am under the impression that gender locked classes is more for mechanical/development time and covered up by lore

I'm fine with playing link and getting ~13 dungeons rather than the ability to choose link's class/gender/race and only get 3 dungeons.

^Legend of Zelda reference

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to have full options on classes, races, etc. But with as amazing as this game is shaping up, I'll take it however it comes.

Edited by Cpt Jack Swagz
noting what the reference I made

Posted

Alright Emo-Deej. <3

My suggestion was made in one of the other posts to actually have it be a button on character creation section just for release. Adding to that though, it should only ever be a one time thing. Unless they have change tickets that you can later buy in shop.

Yeah. I read that. Just seems like that's something everyone can do regardless if their intention is to really switch or not.. 

During character creation Bob Ross said: "I'll click this happy little button, just in case. After all, I want a happy little option."

Darn it. Maybe the option is all that is really needed.

Posted (edited)

Great post ^^ I still would like to see a female giant lol I think a few things should be reworked but i trust they will do their best to set everything straight ^^

Edited by Chrono20

Posted

I keep having to explain this.

This is a Korean game, with Korean design. 

You play a 'character', not a 'class'. Check Vindictus as the most obvious (and relevant) example.

The terms are used interchangably in Korea, however they mean the same thing.

TLDR: Korean game, get used to it.

That said, the devs are putting more equivalent characters in the game. We already have warrior/valk, witch/wizard, ninja/kuno and blader/plum :)

And lastly: Please don't be a hypocrit by advocating 'no gender locked classes!' and never, ever mentioning that you want a female version of the berserker ;)

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Characters/classes instead of races have become much more popular in the last few years for a very simple reason: They're much cheaper to develop. Not just cheaper, even, but also faster and easier. Why do you think literally all of TERA's classes, for example, have been race and gender locked? It's an easy way out to release content and please a good portion of the players since most of them tend to be males who enjoy playing as females. To be fair though, people who like to play males are getting ridiculously shafted in TERA, but I digress.

I personally don't mind the gender lock in BDO, especially considering the whole counterpart thing which is actually something most games with a character/class system lack. It's just a matter of time until every class is available as both genders, except for Tamer and Berserker.

Edited by Aelaris
Typo

Posted

I don't see the big deal with having to play a female ranger or tamer etc etc. You can make it look anyway you want this game it shouldnt be that big of a deal but thats me i may be weird :3 

Posted

As some have voiced here I think gender lock is ok... IF there is at some point a equivalent to the class which they are kinda of doing? I dont really know I hope its a thing after release

Posted

Eh what? This POLL is n't enough to the point, or written in a wierd way (don't see a vote I agree to vote on), I support gender locks... 

Why? A small example

10 people play.

5 want to play warrior and 5 want to play ranger.

When there is no gender lock this might happen:

3 play female warrior
2 play male warrior
4 play female ranger
1 play male ranger

In the end you have 7 female and 3 male (or 3 females and 7 males w/e)

when its gender locked you have it 50/50

You should get it...

Does n't mean I'm against open genders for every class, I just don't care, I see genderlocks more positively and getting tired of all those threads about it.

It does n't have to be mentioned all the time, I see the same people over and over

2 people like this

Posted

Eh what? This POLL is n't enough to the point, or written in a wierd way (don't see a vote I agree to vote on), I support gender locks... 

Why? A small example

10 people play.

5 want to play warrior and 5 want to play ranger.

When there is no gender lock this might happen:

3 play female warrior
2 play male warrior
4 play female ranger
1 play male ranger

In the end you have 7 female and 3 male (or 3 females and 7 males w/e)

when its gender locked you have it 50/50

You should get it...

Does n't mean I'm against open genders for every class, I just don't care, I see genderlocks more positively and getting tired of all those threads about it.

It does n't have to be mentioned all the time, I see the same people over and over

Couldn't have said it any better!

Posted

Where is the option stating that if lore dictates a classes gender, then we have gender locks?

The 4th option says Same as 4....but...., what does that even mean?

I can see where the dislike for genderlock comes from. It's 2016, where's my gender equality? 

?? Lol, no.  In fact I only found 1 or 2 people actually stating that.  It has to do with people wanting to have ultimate freedom on their characters and at least that is something I can get behind, as long as it doesn't conflict with the Lore. 

Posted (edited)

I had plans on making a lot of my various roleplay and story characters (thankfully only some of them. I'm a character factory who has at least 96 character for various things) as well as myself for the game so the gender lock for classes is disappointing. I understand that there will be equivalents for both genders of each class, but I am a bit worried they may end up being too different, (like the Warrior and Valkyrie. My first character I wanted to make ASAP is a warrior and female, with no focus on healing others.)

I'm hoping that there will at least be a huge variety of classes in the future with a variety of genders, if not a choice for gender for each class. Because I am absolutely in love with the character creation already, and what I have seen so far of the game and its setting. And I hope we'll be given the chance to change genders to the desired form upon release.

In my personal opinion, I'm just not the type of person who enjoys genderlocked classes, but that's just my play-style. I'm a creative person who loves having freedom and the character creation that lets you have so much freedom is what first attracted my attention to this game. I'm definitely still going to play, but I'll be hoping for a chance to be able to have even more freedom with the classes in the future/

Edited by ElegantHope

Posted

If all classes are gender locked bur with a corresponding class of opposite sex, that is fine. I dont know if Warrior corresponds to Valkyrie but if not then i would like to play a female class warrior just because i always play as females in mmorpgs. Its always better for me to play as a female. So yes i would like all classes to have either corresponding class of opposite sex or the option to choose a Fem or Mal.

Posted

I keep having to explain this.

This is a Korean game, with Korean design. 

You play a 'character', not a 'class'. Check Vindictus as the most obvious (and relevant) example.

The terms are used interchangably in Korea, however they mean the same thing.

TLDR: Korean game, get used to it.

That said, the devs are putting more equivalent characters in the game. We already have warrior/valk, witch/wizard, ninja/kuno and blader/plum :)

And lastly: Please don't be a hypocrit by advocating 'no gender locked classes!' and never, ever mentioning that you want a female version of the berserker ;)

I understand that and that would be fine if it were 1996 but this is 2016.  If Black Desert is going to have any chance at all in a marketplace full of games whose classes are not gender-locked, they will have to adapt to the marketplace.  Expecting the market place to adapt to them is a fast way to go out of business.   For example, my wife took one look at the character generator, saw that the characters were gender-locked, and decided the game was not for her!  So, BDO is already losing customers because of this issue. U.S. players will want female warriors, male archers, and female beserkers.  Furthermore, they'll want no racial locks either.

TLDR: If BDO wants to compete with the big boys, it better pull up it's big boy pants and do better.

1 person likes this

Posted

Really hoping they will remove the gender lock. I'm hating the fact that I might not be able to create a male ranger when the game comes out.

Posted

I wish people would try adapting first before complaining about everything and demanding all sorts of things.

Forgive me if I push someone's buttons but I really cannot see how gender-lock is immersion breaking, disgusting or making people quit the game and what not.
Besides, devs are already making opposite gender equivalent classes (wizard/witch, blader/plum, ninja/kunoichi and so on). If you feel like quitting before even creating your character, then perhaps you shouldn't have given the game a chance at all.

Posted

I wish people would try adapting first before complaining about everything and demanding all sorts of things.

Forgive me if I push someone's buttons but I really cannot see how gender-lock is immersion breaking, disgusting or making people quit the game and what not.
Besides, devs are already making opposite gender equivalent classes (wizard/witch, blader/plum, ninja/kunoichi and so on). If you feel like quitting before even creating your character, then perhaps you shouldn't have given the game a chance at all.

Again, expecting the marketplace to adapt to BDO when Wow, FFXIV, GW2, etc... are already established and have no gender-locked classes is a quick way for this game to go out of business.  Furthermore, gender-locking is seen as lazy.  It's literally half the work.

If the game developers aren't going to make the effort to offer all classes to both genders, they are going to fall far short of their goal of BDO being a new innovation in MMO's.  You can't go forward by going back.

Finally, a release of something as big as a free character generator should have made people excited to play the game.  The fact that hasn't been the case, and there have been so many threads regarding the gender-locked classes, should be seen as a huge, red flag by the developers.  No one owes them a chance.  The developers have got to make players willing to give them a chance by appealing to the them and drawing them in.

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm sure a similar opinion has been shared, I don't really mind gender locked classes. It would be nice to be able to play as either gender since I prefer to play as my own sex(male), but it won't be a deciding factor in picking my first class to .

Posted

Which option to not change anything?

Posted

I personally wanna be a female Half orc theif bannana

Posted

Again, expecting the marketplace to adapt to BDO when Wow, FFXIV, GW2, etc... are already established and have no gender-locked classes is a quick way for this game to go out of business.  Furthermore, gender-locking is seen as lazy.  It's literally half the work.

If the game developers aren't going to make the effort to offer all classes to both genders, they are going to fall far short of their goal of BDO being a new innovation in MMO's.  You can't go forward by going back.

Finally, a release of something as big as a free character generator should have made people excited to play the game.  The fact that hasn't been the case, and there have been so many threads regarding the gender-locked classes, should be seen as a huge, red flag by the developers.  No one owes them a chance.  The developers have got to make players willing to give them a chance by appealing to the them and drawing them in.

Would much rather have gender-locked, detailed and well-cared characters (yes, Black Desert has characters and not classes) than half-assed, lazily made gender-unlocked classes. They must make opposite gender face and body models, which must not be too different from the other gender counterpart (cause yeah, people want gender unlocked classes).  They would also have to make different animations for both genders, since I'm very sure devs will get flamed if they use unisex animations. Extra voice acting too please!

Just look at other action MMOs like Vindictus or Dragon Nest. I never saw anyone complaining about their gender-locked characters, not to mention claiming that gender-lock will get them bankrupt. It's just stupid.

As far as I have seen, the developers are meticulous about their characters. All of them are detailed and got plenty of customisation options. They are also working on opposite gender counterparts, which is very cool imo.

As for your character creator claim, almost all of my guild mates were pretty excited and hyped about it. Didn't see anyone complain or go "meh" yet.

TL;DR: Devs chose gender-locked characters but they pay attention to details. That's what counts!