• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Whos looking forword to makeing a Valkyrie?

96 posts in this topic

Posted

I am hoping name reservations will be a thing, because on the korean OBT, I noticed I could only make one of a certain name. Even after I deleted it to remake it, the same name was no longer allowed. Not sure if that has been fixed yet.

That's not the case. It's only because it takes a long time for the name to become available again. I'm not sure on the exact time though as I forgot.

Posted

I'm definitely eager to create a Valkyrie to play as my main! I can't wait to try her out and see what she's capable of which from what i've read so far sounds like a lot! :)

Posted

I will create a Valkyrie, cant' wait :)

Posted

i normal play as a warrior in all others games  but this one sounds like a interesting class i will make her for sure :) cant wait to get on with the game

Posted

In all MMO's I've played with my friends, I usually get relegated to the support role - needless to say, this time I'm looking forward to not just being heals on a stick and actually being able to concave someone's face.

Posted

What are some of your reasons to make a valkyrie? I'm not sure yet on what class I will play let alone main in the end. Some pros and cons will be greatly appreciated!

^Jeasy

Posted

What are some of your reasons to make a valkyrie? I'm not sure yet on what class I will play let alone main in the end. Some pros and cons will be greatly appreciated!

^Jeasy

Pros

-Best Farmer (you'll do that a LOT in the game)

-Self sufficient (no need for mp pots/hp pot/ allies) Valk is a one (wo)man army which means you do great on your own and ur a GREAT addition to a party/world boss

-AoE aggro spell (makes you a good tank)

-Party Buffs/Heals and self/Heals buffs

-Great at PvE and still really good at PvE

-Valk is a melee/magic user (all her attacks have a magical component which makes your melee attacks hit farther and some skills are only magical spells)

-Less gear dependent than other classes (this game is still gear dependent no matter what you do)

-Best customization features (it may be a small pro but valk has the best customization to let you do anything and still get a pretty result)

-Cheap(er) weapon cost (some of her skills have natural 100% crit so you won't need a liverto and can easily do go with yuria. Believe me that'll save you millions compared to other classes!)

-I can probably list others pros but I'm tired and this is going to seem like I'm a valk freak xD

Cons

-Lacks mobility compared to other classes (Valk is still plenty mobile with all the teleport/rush skills but her gameplay is overall less mobile than other classes)

-She's not the best at PvP (That's something to debate because, if a class is right for you, it'll always be best at PvP compared to other classes but Valk is less gifted, only by a bit, than other classes for that aspect)

-Lack of circular/big AoEs (Valk has frontal attacks, shield and AoEs so you always got to keep the monsters/players in front of you. The only exception is her AoE aggro, her buffs/heals and her black spirit skill)

Ok that's really what I've found with a lot of thinking so you guys can add to it if I missed something.

3 people like this

Posted

Pros

-Self sufficient (no need for mp pots/hp pot/ allies) Valk is a one (wo)man army which means you do great on your own and ur a GREAT addition to a party/world boss

-AoE aggro spell (makes you a good tank)

-Party Buffs/Heals and self/Heals buffs

-Great at PvE and still really good at PvE

-Valk is a melee/magic user (all her attacks have a magical component which makes your melee attacks hit farther and some skills are only magical spells)

-Less gear dependent than other classes (this game is still gear dependent no matter what you do)

-Best customization features (it may be a small pro but valk has the best customization to let you do anything and still get a pretty result)

-Cheap(er) weapon cost (some of her skills have natural 100% crit so you won't need a liverto and can easily do go with yuria. Believe me that'll save you millions compared to other classes!)

-I can probably list others pros but I'm tired and this is going to seem like I'm a valk freak xD

Cons

-Lacks mobility compared to other classes (Valk is still plenty mobile with all the teleport/rush skills but her gameplay is overall less mobile than other classes)

-She's not the best at PvP (That's something to debate because, if a class is right for you, it'll always be best at PvP compared to other classes but Valk is less gifted, only by a bit, than other classes for that aspect)

-Lack of circular/big AoEs (Valk has frontal attacks, shield and AoEs so you always got to keep the monsters/players in front of you. The only exception is her AoE aggro, her buffs/heals and her black spirit skill)

Ok that's really what I've found with a lot of thinking so you guys can add to it if I missed something.

Thanks alot for your extensive answer! 

How does Valkyrie do it in terms of defence points compared to the Warrior or Giant? I reckon more defence = lesser damage from anything that happens to attack you? Or am I wrong about how defence in this game works? 

How do you feel about the ability to counter other classes in PvP? Given two people at the same skill lvl fighting eachother, is it possible for the Valk to chance the odds? Or do you feel that Valkyrie, per definition, is less gifted. 
- Also, on this topic - do you feel it's mobility related, attack or defence stat-related?  

^Jeasy

Posted

Thanks alot for your extensive answer! 

How does Valkyrie do it in terms of defence points compared to the Warrior or Giant? I reckon more defence = lesser damage from anything that happens to attack you? Or am I wrong about how defence in this game works? 

How do you feel about the ability to counter other classes in PvP? Given two people at the same skill lvl fighting eachother, is it possible for the Valk to chance the odds? Or do you feel that Valkyrie, per definition, is less gifted. 
- Also, on this topic - do you feel it's mobility related, attack or defence stat-related?  

^Jeasy

Defense does work with points in this game but Valkyrie has a special bonus. Valkyrie can go in "Guard" stance which makes her raise her shield and bloack ALL incoming frontal damage. The shield has " 100 durability" and damage lowers that durability. The bigger the damage the faster it drops. Once it reaches 0 Valk cannot block anymore. Not being in guard stance makes the durability go back up within a few seconds. That makes her shield almost unbreakable if you play her right. Guard stance makes Valk walk very slowly so she'll lose mobility but she has quite a few skills to dash/teleport to the enemy. That makes her scary because enemies assume she's very slow and BOOM you're in their face. That mechanic is exclusive to Valk and makes her the most defensive character in the game.

What makes Valk less ideal in PvP is lower damage/mobility. Valk is also a more "ping" dependent class. When you PvP as a Valk this is where you may need good gear to be able to boost your damage. Usually the way it goes is: If Valk catches her opponent she can 1 combo them to death. It's all about figuring out what combo works best for you and making sure to boost your damage.

1 person likes this

Posted

Defense does work with points in this game but Valkyrie has a special bonus. Valkyrie can go in "Guard" stance which makes her raise her shield and bloack ALL incoming frontal damage. The shield has " 100 durability" and damage lowers that durability. The bigger the damage the faster it drops. Once it reaches 0 Valk cannot block anymore. Not being in guard stance makes the durability go back up within a few seconds. That makes her shield almost unbreakable if you play her right. Guard stance makes Valk walk very slowly so she'll lose mobility but she has quite a few skills to dash/teleport to the enemy. That makes her scary because enemies assume she's very slow and BOOM you're in their face. That mechanic is exclusive to Valk and makes her the most defensive character in the game.

What makes Valk less ideal in PvP is lower damage/mobility. Valk is also a more "ping" dependent class. When you PvP as a Valk this is where you may need good gear to be able to boost your damage. Usually the way it goes is: If Valk catches her opponent she can 1 combo them to death. It's all about figuring out what combo works best for you and making sure to boost your damage.

reminds me of RaiderZ mechanics. I'm excited. 

Posted

Valk seems like wonder woman if you ask me 

Posted

Pros

isnt the tamer the best farmer  ? and what make her good at farming compared to other classes ?

Posted (edited)

isnt the tamer the best farmer  ? and what make her good at farming compared to other classes ?

Tamer can't recover her mp/hp with skills so you have to use pots which weigh you down a lot when you farm you need as much weight as possible. Also valk can farm a lot earlier (lower level, lesser gear) because she has much higher survivability which is great to get ahead fast! Overall the valk is your best farmer since most classes have equal AoE mass murder capability.

Edited by Cat

Posted

It can be a cool class, but I have never played the role of a Cleric kind of character

Posted

Valkyrie is more paladin type of class.

Posted

Thank you for your answers. My thoughts are going towards maining the Valk - atleast trying it as a first character. 

^Jeasy

Posted

A lot of people are going to be disappointed from what i've read in this thread. Valkyrie's are not tanks or party support. All the classes in Black Desert are DPS. Wizard/Witch is a DPS with a few support skills. A Valkyrie has three skills that effect the party. They are all AoE's around the Valkyrie. One increases your def but ally accuracy, a 20% heal with 40 second cooldown, and a 6 sec armor buff against attacks with a 3 minute cooldown. If you actually played the game at any decent level you'd realize no one cares about those buffs for PvE. You do not buff party members because no one parties together, other than to see each other on the map.

Valkyrie is one of the slowest at grinding monsters. They lack the mobility to move quickly to the next group. Classes like ranger, wizard, ninja, all grind faster by a considerable margin. Those classes have speed and/or large AoE's to get the job done. Valkyrie is not cheaper to gear or less gear dependent. You want the same expensive weapons everyone else uses like Zaka, Dragon, or Liberto. Valkyrie most certainly has a circular AoE around herself that is very effective, I know it as Holy Power on KR. Valkyrie is only self sustaining if she battles the right mobs and has the right gear. Otherwise, it's time to start chugging pots. If you're spending time using your shield to block, you're killing too slowly. 

Posted

A lot of people are going to be disappointed from what i've read in this thread. Valkyrie's are not tanks or party support. All the classes in Black Desert are DPS. Wizard/Witch is a DPS with a few support skills. A Valkyrie has three skills that effect the party. They are all AoE's around the Valkyrie. One increases your def but ally accuracy, a 20% heal with 40 second cooldown, and a 6 sec armor buff against attacks with a 3 minute cooldown. If you actually played the game at any decent level you'd realize no one cares about those buffs for PvE. You do not buff party members because no one parties together, other than to see each other on the map.

Valkyrie is one of the slowest at grinding monsters. They lack the mobility to move quickly to the next group. Classes like ranger, wizard, ninja, all grind faster by a considerable margin. Those classes have speed and/or large AoE's to get the job done. Valkyrie is not cheaper to gear or less gear dependent. You want the same expensive weapons everyone else uses like Zaka, Dragon, or Liberto. Valkyrie most certainly has a circular AoE around herself that is very effective, I know it as Holy Power on KR. Valkyrie is only self sustaining if she battles the right mobs and has the right gear. Otherwise, it's time to start chugging pots. If you're spending time using your shield to block, you're killing too slowly. 

Yes all the classes in BDO are "DPS" but Valk is still a tank. I do agree that support isn't really a role that can apply to BDO. What you mean is probably that there's no need for roles other than DPS but this is likely to change with the new content added that seems to go more party play focus. So right now I do agree that there's no need for a tank but it's still a role she can fill with her skills.

Valkyrie is definitely not meant to be a support for a party (if there's ever a need for one). She's meant to be a "paladin" type that can heal/buff herself and has negligible buffs/heals for the party. I don't quite agree with you last statements about Valk being too slow to farm and she did work as a self sustaining farmer for me and other guild members/friends without being well geared (at the time) and being under leveled for the area. When you farm it's all about Shield Throw not Holy Power.

Posted

just yes.

Posted

Really looking forward to creating and playing Valkyrie. For me she's a contender for my main, so I'm really pleased we'll get the chance to try her out!

Posted

I was originally going to roll a Sorceress but after watching some gameplay videos of Valkyries in action, I was sold.  Being a big Soul Calibur fan, I was immediately turned on to Valkyrie's combat style as I find it to be very similar to Sophitia's (minus all the flashy spells and effects).  I am seriously looking forward to playing this class.

Posted

I don't quite agree with you last statements about Valk being too slow to farm and she did work as a self sustaining farmer for me and other guild members/friends without being well geared (at the time) and being under leveled for the area. When you farm it's all about Shield Throw not Holy Power.

Holy Power is a good skill. However, it has a few conditions to meet before I recommend it. First, don't bother until you can max the skill out entirely. Two, only cast it when the cool down for the special effect is ready. Three, there are other skills to prioritize first. Holy Power is a great example of why i don't recommend putting too much faith in the information currently available in English for Black Desert. Hakurai's youtube guide being linked for Valkyrie doesn't show Holy Power's true effect. I'd be willing to bet he's never actually used it before. I'd comment on skill choice more but I only know the translated names in KR and i don't want to cause confusion.

Maybe i wasn't clear regarding a Valkyrie being self sustaining. To me, the bar is set by grinding the best exp and silver per hour I can manage. If you're doing less than that it probably means content is easier and requires less heals. In those cases Valkyrie is certainly self sustaining.

The main factors to grinding speed are high mobility, dmg, range (AoE size and distance), and no downtime. Rangers and Ninja's for example dish out high dmg in large AoE's while always moving or at long range. A Valkyrie has high dmg imo but lacks the range and mobility to keep up. Some of the Valkyrie's strengths don't factor into mob grinding. Defense is irrelevant if you're not taking dmg or potting through it. Speaking solely for grinding, having a heal is almost irrelevant if you can just use pots instead. 

A Valkyrie does not deal its highest damage while being evasive, blocking, out of range, or relying on shield throw. I've tried fighting mobs with those tactics and it's slower. A Valkyrie's strongest attacks are from a relatively stationary, close range position. If I am constantly attacking with my strongest skills while not taking more dmg than my heal recovers, that is the ideal scenario.  

As you get a higher level like 57, it's to your advantage to grind stronger mobs in Valencia if you want optimal experience or certain drops. How self sustaining you are will strongly depend on your stats and choice of mob to fight. When those mobs are stronger using pots to offset the extra dmg taken is more beneficial if it keeps you attacking. I do believe there is a balance to be found between your evasive skills and pot use however. This best example of this is in PvP or boss fights. You can't exactly go all out DPS in every situation.

Keep in mind i'm not saying Valkyrie is terrible farming mobs, far from it. I'm happy with the play style and killing speed. I'm very curious what direction future PvE content will take and today's update in KR might shed some light on this. But make no mistake, other classes like Ranger will out farm you at the current endgame in KR. 

Posted

Holy Power is a good skill. However, it has a few conditions to meet before I recommend it. First, don't bother until you can max the skill out entirely. Two, only cast it when the cool down for the special effect is ready. Three, there are other skills to prioritize first. Holy Power is a great example of why i don't recommend putting too much faith in the information currently available in English for Black Desert. Hakurai's youtube guide being linked for Valkyrie doesn't show Holy Power's true effect. I'd be willing to bet he's never actually used it before. I'd comment on skill choice more but I only know the translated names in KR and i don't want to cause confusion.

Maybe i wasn't clear regarding a Valkyrie being self sustaining. To me, the bar is set by grinding the best exp and silver per hour I can manage. If you're doing less than that it probably means content is easier and requires less heals. In those cases Valkyrie is certainly self sustaining.

The main factors to grinding speed are high mobility, dmg, range (AoE size and distance), and no downtime. Rangers and Ninja's for example dish out high dmg in large AoE's while always moving or at long range. A Valkyrie has high dmg imo but lacks the range and mobility to keep up. Some of the Valkyrie's strengths don't factor into mob grinding. Defense is irrelevant if you're not taking dmg or potting through it. Speaking solely for grinding, having a heal is almost irrelevant if you can just use pots instead. 

A Valkyrie does not deal its highest damage while being evasive, blocking, out of range, or relying on shield throw. I've tried fighting mobs with those tactics and it's slower. A Valkyrie's strongest attacks are from a relatively stationary, close range position. If I am constantly attacking with my strongest skills while not taking more dmg than my heal recovers, that is the ideal scenario.  

As you get a higher level like 57, it's to your advantage to grind stronger mobs in Valencia if you want optimal experience or certain drops. How self sustaining you are will strongly depend on your stats and choice of mob to fight. When those mobs are stronger using pots to offset the extra dmg taken is more beneficial if it keeps you attacking. I do believe there is a balance to be found between your evasive skills and pot use however. This best example of this is in PvP or boss fights. You can't exactly go all out DPS in every situation.

Keep in mind i'm not saying Valkyrie is terrible farming mobs, far from it. I'm happy with the play style and killing speed. I'm very curious what direction future PvE content will take and today's update in KR might shed some light on this. But make no mistake, other classes like Ranger will out farm you at the current endgame in KR. 

Yeah my point was that Valk makes up for less mobility with less trips back and forth exchanging items and depositing gold because Valk doesn't need to carry potions at all all and, thus, has a lot more weight available to stock drops. As I've said Holy Power is NOT a good skill for farming. Valkyrie farms with Shield Throw. There's many streamers that have shown good farming with it.

The main thing to consider here is that Valkyrie is still a viable choice and that, depending on your playstyle and tastes, you can choose the class that is right for you. 

Posted (edited)

Valk can grind faster than almost all thanks to her skills having accuracy. While people are struggling with gearing u'll be ahead. At least for the starting content , prolly calph area.

I'll start with valk for the early content at least until ninja is released.

Edited by Carrots

Posted

Ehh, Impatient me decided to download the RU game and get character customization going. Happens to be so that RU does not offer Valkyrie :( Happens to be that RU only offers 6 classes as of right now - surprised by that since it is launched already there. It does have RU voice-acting already being implemented. 

Anyways, I am able to give the game a test which will help me decide and help me play as well when the game launches in EU/NA. 

- Jeasy