• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Why Melee Awakening?

62 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Here is the official trailer for the Ranger's Awakening weapon:

Does no one find it strange that a class that deals most of it's damage through ranged attacks with a bow would receive a melee awakening weapon at level 56? You would think, seeing how the Ranger is at it's most powerful by dishing out damage from afar, that it would receive a ranged awakening as well. Especially when you consider how big of a play-style change this will cause. Levels 1-55 will be done using primarily ranged dps, and then level 56 comes, and you have to basically re-learn the class in order to use it as a melee class. How does this make sense? 

Edited by Wrath
4 people like this

Posted

You don't have to relearn your class. Awakenings are able to be switched within combat with only a 1 second cooldown. Awakening balance out weaknesses of the class, and ranger has a huge weakness in melee.

9 people like this

Posted

You don't have to relearn your class. Awakenings are able to be switched within combat with only a 1 second cooldown. Awakening balance out weaknesses of the class, and ranger has a huge weakness in melee.

Well ofcourse it does, it's a ranged class afterall. They aren't meant to excel in both fields. They make up for their lack of melee ability with speed and agility, getting out of dodge instead of jumping into the mix. 

2 people like this

Posted

Well ofcourse it does, it's a ranged class afterall. They aren't meant to excel in both fields. They make up for their lack of melee ability with speed and agility, getting out of dodge instead of jumping into the mix. 

Pretty much all classes have that type of mobility though. PA says what they are to excell at not us.

Posted

really dumb. they contradict the idea of their classes. which is why i've said it before and i'll say it again, "awakening system" is a terrible idea for the game ^^ all classes have weaknesses which is what makes them unique, all classes also have their unique strengths
there is no reason every class should be able to do everything, they should have to depend on friends using the other classes to back up their weaknesses. not "press c to switch to a different character herp derp"

5 people like this

Posted

I kinda dont understand how they ended up designing something like this. So if we wanted to be a melee class, we should pick a range class as base class in the beginning. My base ninja will ended up as a range class then...

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Gotta love the whiners that have no idea how the awakening system works.

Edited by Catherine
21 people like this

Posted

I'd praise the gods for this awakening if I was a ranger player. Removing the one weakness of the already strongest PvP class. 

2 people like this

Posted

Does no one find it strange that a class that deals most of it's damage through ranged attacks with a bow would receive a melee awakening weapon at level 56? You would think, seeing how the Ranger is at it's most powerful by dishing out damage from afar, that it would receive a ranged awakening as well. Especially when you consider how big of a play-style change this will cause. Levels 1-55 will be done using primarily ranged dps, and then level 56 comes, and you have to basically re-learn the class in order to use it as a melee class. How does this make sense? 

Perhaps later on I'll have time to thoroughly explain the Awakening system, but... in short, that's not how it works. You don't just suddenly stop being a bow and arrow using ranger. The awakening kind of acts like a third (primary and secondary being the first two) weapon in your arsenal. I would recommend looking it up to understand what I mean. In no way do you lose your ability to be ranged and/or it does not force you to be melee.

Posted

Awakening are meant to CHANGE A CLASSES PLAYSTYLE and COVER A WEAKNESS.

as seen in this video and others like the berzerker video. The awakening for ranger clearly helps close to cover its weakness of being caught in melee combat as well as adding some forms of CC. This is meant to compliment its ranged playstyle by giving you the capability to fight at melee either secure a kill or to have abilities that allow you to CC and disengage an enemy to gain more distance once again. another ranged awakening for Ranger would have been almost completely useless because you would end up replacing the bow skills or not using the ranged awakening skills because one would be better. You only need so much ranged(AOE, single target, CC, mobility) before all other skills are considered fillers or unnecessary.

8 people like this

Posted

I was really hoping that we would gain a Block ability with the swords...

Posted

gg, half the animations are copy pasted from female blader and kunoichi

Look at the dash move and the sideways auto attack for example, exact copies from the female blader, just with a blue particle effect instead of a red one.

Posted

Can't wait to find out how this'll fair in pvp.

1 person likes this

Posted

in my eyes the blade will be used for 1x1 and the bow for sieges/mass pvp

Posted (edited)

I know awakening doesn't replace the class you just gain more skills for a new weapon but what annoys me is it adds another "MELEE" weapon to a class called "RANGER".

If they wanted to balance ranger in melee they could

1 Make more dagger skills and kicks and make their damage better

2 Add a 2nd range weapon that's stronger at smaller range

Edited by Jumanji
2 people like this

Posted

watching this video u may have some mele attack but it still looked long range so i dont get what all the tears are about its more like close to mid range 

1 person likes this

Posted

I know awakening doesn't replace the class you just gain more skills for a new weapon but what annoys me is it adds another "MELEE" weapon to a class called "RANGER".

If they wanted to balance ranger in melee they could

1 Make more dagger skills and kicks and make their damage better

2 Add a 2nd range weapon that's stronger at smaller range

image.png

It's just a weapon swap. You're not giving up the bow. She even uses the bow during the video at the beginning.

This is perfect to me. I love how melee feels in this game but didn't want to main it. Now I have both options in 1 with a simple swap. In love here! ♥

Also; I see people are hung up on the name "Ranger" because range is in it. LOL Here you go:

rang·er
ˈrānjər/
noun
noun: ranger; plural noun: rangers
  1. 1.
    a keeper of a park, forest, or area of countryside.
  2. 2.
    a member of a body of armed men, in particular.
    • a mounted soldier.
    • US
      a commando or highly trained infantryman.
  3. 3.
    a person or thing that wanders or ranges over a particular area or domain.

4 people like this

Posted

Simply to make-up for the lack of Melee abilities.

I'm sure you can make some "stance dancing" combos from melee into ranged attacks as well.

I see this as adding more depth to Rangers.

2 people like this

Posted

whos to say rangers cant have melee skills, sir dont confuse your ideas with this game just because other games doesnt do it doesnt mean they wont in this game.

Posted

I think it's a really cool idea. I was leaning towards playing as a sorceress, but this is seriously making me reconsider!

Some of the attacks look like they take less than a second to complete though. I get that she's using a short sword, but I'm not sure if they should remain that fast.

Posted

I think it's a really cool idea. I was leaning towards playing as a sorceress, but this is seriously making me reconsider!

Some of the attacks look like they take less than a second to complete though. I get that she's using a short sword, but I'm not sure if they should remain that fast.

its good as it is imo from the looks of it, it doesnt stagger that much and the ones that have knockbacks/knockdowns have long cast animations and if you've actually played a ranger they are really squishy, so long cast animation in melee range is a big no no.

Posted

its good as it is imo from the looks of it, it doesnt stagger that much and the ones that have knockbacks/knockdowns have long cast animations and if you've actually played a ranger they are really squishy, so long cast animation in melee range is a big no no.

don't forget that this knockbacks/knockdowns are against Monsters. In my PoV, we are not going to have a lot more of CC (maybe 1 mele ?) versus players. A squichy mele with CC is the Ninja/Kuno nich. 

I guess we are gonna be half the way between Ninja and Blader : squichy as hell, without block, without a lot of CC ===> Hardest mele fighter ?  (if Tamer is balance one day...)

In fact, i expect a mele kitting gameplay. A good "timing" for the weapon switch will be more critical than for already awakened classes. 

Posted

I kinda dont understand how they ended up designing something like this. So if we wanted to be a melee class, we should pick a range class as base class in the beginning. My base ninja will ended up as a range class then...

Ninja has quite a few ranged abilities, i hope we dont just end up with more shuriken abilities. give us long ranged genjutsu abilities :D

I like the ranger's costume.

Posted

Reminds me of Witch Blade from C9; 3 sexy ass class!

Posted

I kinda prefer the idea of having ranger melee instead of adding more bow attacks or something similar