• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Amateuristic Maintenance

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello,

I bought this game and am loving it so far; I'm highly critical of games and haven't been able to enjoy one in forever. So my sincere gratitude for that.

The weekly maintenance is however highly disturbing to the point it might make me uninstall this game and never look back. I would like to state that I've worked in IT for 15 years now in every branch you can imagine. There is absolutely no technological reason to put servers down as long as 4-8 hours. In fact, they really do not even have to be shutdown for a minute. If ones game client is out-of-date he should generally be fine ( at least until he is going to bed ) this was confirmed by a bug experienced by plenty of Dutch people recently when they were unable to receive an update as well as basic server/client knowledge. It is good enough to make it a choice on when you update your client. As for the servers there is absolutely no reason to throw them offline any more anno 2016. Even bad webserver system administrators boot slave servers when they are locking tables for backups or other maintenance.

This is so highly disturbing that I wouldn't mind falling a half year back on BDO KR if that is what it would take to setup a proper maintenance architecture. There is absolutely no way that people would accept this if they knew it was entirely unnecessary, which again, it is. 

Thank you.

Edited by Gweny
2 people like this

Posted

I sort of agree that the maintenance hours are a bit too dramatic, but I don't think it's that horrible. You don't know what's going on behind the scenes, I doubt all they're doing is restarting the servers and drinking coffee.

Imagine running tests for file corruptions, checking if the values in the SQL database is correct, running back ups, it's not something done in two minutes.

2 people like this

Posted

Hello,

I bought this game and am loving it so far; I'm highly critical of games and haven't been able to enjoy one in forever. So my sincere gratitude for that.

The weekly maintenance is however highly disturbing to the point it might make me uninstall this game and never look back. I would like to state that I've worked in IT for 15 years now in every branch you can imagine. There is absolutely no technological reason to put servers down as long as 4-8 hours. In fact, they really do not even have to be shutdown for a minute. If ones game client is out-of-date he should generally be fine ( at least until he is going to bed ) this was confirmed by a bug experienced by plenty of Dutch people recently when they were unable to receive an update as well as basic server/client knowledge. It is good enough to make it a choice on when you update your client. As for the servers there is absolutely no reason to throw them offline any more anno 2016. Even bad webserver system administrators boot slave servers when they are locking tables for backups or other maintenance.

This is so highly disturbing that I wouldn't mind falling a half year back on BDO KR if that is what it would take to setup a proper maintenance architecture. There is absolutely no way that people would accept this if they knew it was entirely unnecessary, which again, it is. 

Thank you.

Bump +1

Posted

I totally agree....

I fell like in the god damn 90s. This is ridiculous, haven't seen a game that does it like this since 6-8 years now. Getting a decent server service is cheap, using cloud and they can't afford it with their 50m per month, like really...

Posted

I sort of agree that the maintenance hours are a bit too dramatic, but I don't think it's that horrible. You don't know what's going on behind the scenes, I doubt all they're doing is restarting the servers and drinking coffee.

Imagine running tests for file corruptions, checking if the values in the SQL database is correct, running back ups, it's not something done in two minutes.

Even bad webserver system administrators boot slave servers when they are locking tables for backups or other maintenance.

Posted

Apply for a job at Daum, clearly most of the people on the forums knows how to run this better than they do.

3 people like this

Posted

4 hour downtime in a week of 168 hours total. Yeah totally horrible they do that and want to give us new content or fix bugs! Oh dear lord. Pray to the RNGesus he will make it better for us.

Posted

it's Pearl Abyss not Daum.

Posted

4 hour downtime in a week of 168 hours total. Yeah totally horrible they do that and want to give us new content or fix bugs! Oh dear lord. Pray to the RNGesus he will make it better for us.

Since you have no concept of time and have serious difficulties reading let me make this easier for you: it is unnecessary, meaning, they can add content, fix bugs and keep servers online.

Posted

it's Pearl Abyss not Daum.

nah, server maintenance is daum job, they only apply what pa gave them tho.

Posted

I'm also a server administrator of many years (25 and counting... holy crap,) and I can easily see the need for extended downtime - perhaps not 8 hours' worth, but several at the least. Having the game online while applying hot patches would likely lead to a tangled, unclean mess - the sheer volume of read/write activity would make updates slow to impossible, backups a nightmare, and the whole thing very stressful. If you think about best practices, it makes sense to boot us out while they perform pushes and whatever other maintenance is required.

2 people like this

Posted

Since you have no concept of time and have serious difficulties reading let me make this easier for you: it is unnecessary, meaning, they can add content, fix bugs and keep servers online.

Oh great IT expert, who is the only one with knowledge. I hope you find a better game suiting to your amazing capabilities and need to play. Because those 4 hours every week are a true nightmare. Shutting down so they can do their job better without having to worry about sudden disconnects for players and hence a shitstorm of negativity here because of horses dying, people dying etc. is of course totally worth it. Apparently those 4 hours are game breaking hours every week for you. I feel sad for you, and good luck in your journey of craziness.

Posted

Clearly this would depend on the way BDO works.. 
But you know better, so once again.. Go apply for a job at Daum, they could use your expertise.

I'm also a server administrator of many years (25 and counting... holy crap,) and I can easily see the need for extended downtime - perhaps not 8 hours' worth, but several at the least. Having the game online while applying hot patches would likely lead to a tangled, unclean mess - the sheer volume of read/write activity would make updates slow to impossible, backups a nightmare, and the whole thing very stressful. If you think about best practices, it makes sense to boot us out while they perform pushes and whatever other maintenance is required.

I completely agree with this, oh and I ALSO work in IT as an administrator (granted I don't have 25 years yet)
100% uptime is just another buzzword, we all know it's a dream.

Posted

nah, server maintenance is daum job, they only apply what pa gave them tho.

Daum/Daum Europe is only a publisher. Go look it up.

Posted

Daum/Daum Europe is only a publisher. Go look it up.

Yah, but they still are the one who manage eu and na server, they receive the patch from pa and have their staff update the update.

Posted

Yah, but they still are the one who manage eu and na server, they receive the patch from pa and have their staff update the update.

if you say so.