• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Server lag effecting gameplay experience: A Solution Range proposal

23 posts in this topic

Posted

@GM_Huego,

Hi.  Since the AFK/auto-looping feature has been added there seems to be some issues experienced when playing the game.  Because these are technical experiences which are mentioned in the post below, I felt it was all right to post this in this section of the forums.  I hope that I am correct in that regard, thanks!

Now, to be clear I really LOVE and I am a proponent for the AFK auto-looping feature.  But it seems to be that this addition plus the increase in player numbers overall (both good things) are having an unwanted side-effect.  So please keep the AFK auto-looping feature.  However, I would like to briefly suggest a solution range to look into possibly.

Could we have selected and labeled server channels either designated (changed to be used for this main purpose) or added (if necessary create these new channels if need be) to the existing NA servers.  These channels on a server would allow players to more effectively dedicate their characters to auto-looping.  As it is right now it seems to be a highly used feature which is great!  However the effect on players actually playing seems to be undesired.  The main effect that I have noted, is the drop rates and looting whenever it comes up when playing--(I suspect the strain now on database/loot table access) this part of the game and aspect (also could be effecting the Cherry blossom event drops as well as all of the drops) is being effected.  Other just as important areas being effected as well are: movement of the characters, character animations, framerate, and loading of housing being heavily; all of these have been effected since the AFK/auto-looping implementation and with the recent new influx of additional players (for Musa and Maehwa which I also love).  With this proposed particular new channel designation, I am suggesting a means to address this issue. 

First, the number of actual NPCs on this new channel would be reduced and optimized as just essentially a place to auto-loop/AFK; in whatever manner the development team deems necessary.  Because the players on this channel would actually not be there playing, they would not need access or to see the usual amount of extraneous wonderful NPCs and assets/etc.  Vendors and repair NPCs on this channel would stay available.  The actual number of town people NPCs and NPCs that are in the world; their numbers would be reduced or optimized for maximum performance. 

Additionally on this channel, players could perhaps do AFK fishing without being:

1) Disconnected AS OFTEN (this would also apply to the AFK auto-looping main purpose for this proposed channel).

2) AFK fish in a more safe manner without being attacked (as an additional incentive to lure them to the channel) more effectively as a bonus or to lure players to use the new channels.  There then would be 2 incentives for visiting the new channels and using them, and thus having a place to go for the AFK/Auto-looping players--effectively increasing the game play experience (not the leveling experience points; just the fun time had) for players that are actually playing the game.  I hope this request is clear. 

As for the FEW of the PVP players who would not want this AFK fishing addition?  That is another thread.  But to satiate their inevitable displeasure with the AFK fishing bonus addition, there would perhaps need to be for AFK fishing access on the new channel type, a rank requirement on the AFK fishing for access to grant this capability.  It would be low enough that it is not super inconvenient to reach, but would take some actual fishing effort in the normal channels before going to hot spots out in combat zone/attack-able areas to AFK fish safely or at all on the newly proposed channel. 

To further solidify the purpose of the channel and also keeping some of the PVP players in mind, questing along with world bosses and treasure chests etc. as necessary, would be removed perhaps--meaning that if players wanted to really get anything else done besides AFK activities, then they would need to return to a normal channel.  In this regard, a 5 minute move to cool down would be available FOR moving into the AFK/auto-looping channels (if needed otherwise it would be instant).  However the 10 minute cool down would stay in place to ensure the development team's reasons are kept when moving back from the channel.

I am open to any additional ideas for incentives or ways to get players to actually use these channels or to become aware of them.  As a parting quick thought, perhaps activating the AFK/auto-looping feature ONLY on these channels would ensure that they are used.  To finish that thought then perhaps more than one of these channels may be needed per server, so the development team would need to monitor and address this as needed.

Development team brief response or quick acknowledgement of receipt (hey we've got it and will give something along these lines consideration) of this proposal would be most welcome!

These ideas that I am sharing hopefully warrant a review by the development team as well as by my fellow Black Desert players.  To me, it is a viable solution, that perhaps might need to be considered.  If not this exact solution then something along these lines?  Thanks!

Sincerely,

Jaydalf

Posted

+1

This lag is UNPLAYABLE. I've been stuck at a NPC for the past 30 minutes unable to move because it cannot reach the server to prompt the next UI. I'm quitting this game until it's fixed permanently.

Posted

Hello.

All suggestions are welcome but I should address some of your points.

While I don't know how the developers implement their code or what the performance balance is after each update, I'm pretty positive on the fact that the auto-loop feature does not impact drop rates. What it could impact is ping at auto loop hotspots such as Heidel.

My opinion on the AFK channel is clear. I'm pretty much against any kind of "AFK teleport out" mechanism in an open world game, let alone give players immunity.

I am also not too fond of the frequent afk disconnects. What about the people who are eg browsing the internet while waiting for their guild to gather up? I wouldn't like to wait an other 15 minutes to hop back to my channel just because I stayied afk for some time.

On a seperate note, I don't know about NA servers, but in EU ones I rarely experience high ping. Try checking your connection.

Posted

I'm quiting the game too. I've seen companies underestimate the damage they can do to a game community by not investing in decent hosting.

I'm not going to waste another minute of my time in a game that cannot fix its issues within a week. this lag has been here from day one. Goodbye all, see you on a real game with a real company managing it.

Posted

Hello.

All suggestions are welcome but I should address some of your points.

While I don't know how the developers implement their code or what the performance balance is after each update, I'm pretty positive on the fact that the auto-loop feature does not impact drop rates. What it could impact is ping at auto loop hotspots such as Heidel.

My opinion on the AFK channel is clear. I'm pretty much against any kind of "AFK teleport out" mechanism in an open world game, let alone give players immunity.

I am also not too fond of the frequent afk disconnects. What about the people who are eg browsing the internet while waiting for their guild to gather up? I wouldn't like to wait an other 15 minutes to hop back to my channel just because I stayied afk for some time.

On a seperate note, I don't know about NA servers, but in EU ones I rarely experience high ping. Try checking your connection.

Hi.  It is the lag here on the NA that is most likely (really hard to say it has nothing to do with it or no effect) created from the tons of players in towns using the AFK/Auto-looping feature here on the NA servers right on top of each other in mass numbers.  :) Not all players are doing this I see some people going to other areas in town and out and doing their AFK/Auto-looping thing.  However a huge portion are going to one town and most are doing it together in unison.  As you also said on the hot-spot on Heidel.  Going into towns now such as Heidel can be very dangerous for your continued connection to the game and it really should not be that way.  My solution is for addressing this issue for players not currently using this feature and to allow them to play as normally one would expect. 

On your other point of check my connection.  I am not alone in my ISP having various issues recently due to company issues (strikes and so on)that may have a contribution to the matter.  However please do not totally discount my/our (those on Verizon Fios east coast or other NA players who have lag issues)  experience as solely being connection based.  Some server channel tweaking of some sort will need to be addressed and monitored regularly of some sort so that all players can enjoy the game equally.  Thanks for replying to this thread with feedback it is appreciated.

One more response to the AFK disconnect while waiting for your Guild?  This solution I am proposing would likely address at least some of the issues.  The concentration of tons of players Auto-looping in one hot-spot such as in the main street in Heidel on several or most if not all channels cannot be helping the connectivity for players in general is just my opinion.  In other words if they did something to cut that down some for those just playing normally or AFKing for a quick bit to surf the web then a return on this implementation should be seen there are fewer overall disconnects for all players.  My suggested solution would allow players but to switch channels and do the same thing they were doing, just not effect as many other players (playing normally and quick afking instead of auto-looping) as I am pretty sure they have been unintentionally doing.  I have auto-looped myself.  But when actually playing more recently I have noticed this actual technical issue occuring.   Thanks!

Posted

Don't know what you did in this morning update on your server but the game is unplayble! Never had so many issues?! 1 or 2 small roll back every 6 hours before but now.... every 5 min a udge rollback, all ready lost 10% XP so i litteraly can't farm on my higher level character... talking to npc is a joke too and know i m on Kzarka, i m at 0 HP so i m supposed to be dead, but lag make me stay alive and run everywhere, i can't dps, i can't do anything -_-

So how can i play this game when i got roll back that instakill me so i lose xp.... tried to up 51 to 52 on one of my char, but i farmed 20% and i lost 10% cause of rollback only -_-

Do something ASAP about that rollback problem?! It's the first time that i ve problems like that with your game and it arrived direct after the update....

Posted

Please everyone when responding to the thread stay on topic.  First of all thanks for even reading this thread it took time to do that so thank you!  I understand your frustration, thus I made the post.  Let's get the development team into brainstorming and triage mode to address this and please stick to agreeing with a ballpark feasibility to this possible range of solutions I suggested.  PVP aspects aside, afk disconnects and loading of housing and assets in the game is a real problem and priority that can be addressed possibly in the manner I described.  So please don't discount what I have said without realizing that 1) something has to be done and 2) it is a real problem here in NA on our servers, 3) it is not just ISP based.

Just updated by a friend:  This is a real problem; just confirmed by a fellow player/friend.  I have been playing with a friend now for several weeks that is on a different ISP several states away from me in the mid-southwest.  This friend, besides me had not been experiencing these lag/load issues as baldy and he has informed me it has gotten worse tonight including for him, and he is experiencing all of the things I have mentioned above and it is now on a greater level.  He assured me that will make a post if he gets the time and chance.  He also pointed out to me that there is a thread on Facebook with several players mentioning the issues actually happening.  Please be encouraged and let's look for solutions to this problem and issue.  Lagging may have been around since the start but it has gotten worse most likely because of the reasons I mentioned--but with possibly viable solutions I also mentioned.  Thanks.

1 person likes this

Posted

@GM_Huego

Jaydalf is right. I play with him and it is not a connection issue. I just tried playing the game...I was disconnected 7 times in less than 20 minutes. Something has to be done about the lag or whatever it is in North America. I am using Time Warner Cable, so it is not a Verizon Fios ISP issue for me. Right now I want to play the game, but the game does not let me. Please fix the issues. What is going on???

2 people like this

Posted

I've been playing pretty much all day with minor issues here and there.  Then around 7:30 PM eastern time USA I found using my heal and mana potions weren't registering.  My character was moving with no problems except heals were taking as long as a minute to actually do something.  Also mobs would just stand around rocking back and forth, then after a few minutes start swinging their weapons at me I presume, except I was quite a distance away.  I cannot turn in any quests, pressing the R key nothing happens, pressing control and clicking on the icon to interact with an NPC does nothing.  I also cannot move my character.

I've tried changing channels and logging out to desk top and that has not helped.  I have not tried another server yet as all my advancement is on Uno.

I am really enjoying the game, so hopefully these sudden ( for me ) lag issues will be resolved.  Also, note: Upon switching to a channel that was marked as not busy there were virtually no players there at all, most likely everyone is having the same problems.  I can't believe thousands of people are suddenly haveing issues on their end.

It has to be a server side problem as I can play The Division on uplay, Rift and also Tera with no lag.

2 people like this

Posted

Game is unplayable for me and a couple of friends (lag , server disconnects and skills not working) . I never had an issue until tonight and other games are working.

2 people like this

Posted

I've been playing pretty much all day with minor issues here and there.  Then around 7:30 PM eastern time USA I found using my heal and mana potions weren't registering.  My character was moving with no problems except heals were taking as long as a minute to actually do something.  Also mobs would just stand around rocking back and forth, then after a few minutes start swinging their weapons at me I presume, except I was quite a distance away.  I cannot turn in any quests, pressing the R key nothing happens, pressing control and clicking on the icon to interact with an NPC does nothing.  I also cannot move my character.

I've tried changing channels and logging out to desk top and that has not helped.  I have not tried another server yet as all my advancement is on Uno.

I am really enjoying the game, so hopefully these sudden ( for me ) lag issues will be resolved.  Also, note: Upon switching to a channel that was marked as not busy there were virtually no players there at all, most likely everyone is having the same problems.  I can't believe thousands of people are suddenly having issues on their end.

It has to be a server side problem as I can play The Division on uplay, Rift and also Tera with no lag.

Hi I neglected to mention that I also am on Uno.  I also usually play Valencia.  Thanks!  And wonderful post full of information, thanks.

Posted (edited)

I just loaded up an alt on Orwen server, Valencia 02 channel and everything is working fine right now.  So, I am going to play a bit and see how things go.  However it seems the issue is on the Uno server only.

Update:  Lag is starting to hit on this server as well.  I clicked through the dialogue of a quest and when I clicked on "complete" nothing happened  for about 10 sec,  I exited the dialog and reopened it and the quest completed.  So the lag issue is a reality IMO and not just one server as I initially thought

Edited by Black Rose
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@GM_Huego

I am on Uno, Valencia 03 channel. I have tried playing again, but it booted me off. Off to play Star Trek Online which I have no problem playing. Please fix this game or respond to posts admins. I do love this game. Thanks.

PS I can not see anyone in the cities, my garden will not load and the house is dark and empty.

Edited by Grimoaldus
addition
1 person likes this

Posted

I love the game, but I'm starting to lose interest due to the playing conditions.  We are currently experiencing lag issues everywhere due to people saying NO LAG on "ServerName" immediately everyone switches to that server and the conditions continue.  This game has the opportunity to be great and yet it seems your limiting your hardware/networking issues which is going to lose peoples interest.

1 person likes this

Posted

I've created a character on the last server on the list, and entered the game and its totally unplayable.

Every server has so much lag that nothing can be done.

1 person likes this

Posted

My game crash every 2 mins. Impossible to gather ressource or talk with NPC. Please fix this.

1 person likes this

Posted

Any attempt to turn in a quest or interact with an NPC makes everything stop working.  KB is dead, only thing to do is exit.

1 person likes this

Posted

Well it been going on all day after maint today and does not seem that they done anything to fix it other then reboot one time

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the posts everyone!  The information provided will hopefully help @GM_Huego and the team pinpoint the issue(s).  I just wanted to point out that the patch exacerbated the issues.  The lag was already present with the looting and NPCs not following (Ken Smith, the various Shai character NPCs just standing there had to drop the quests) the or interacting with NPCs and loading Housing taking forever or lagging out of the game during attempted loads of housing instances--all of this was not working appropriately before the recent patch.  The recent patch has of course made things worse and  FUBAR. :)   Here's hoping for a fix to address this again I thank you all for posting information and hope it helps the development team.  Cheers.

Posted

Trying to play on Orwen - Valencia 01 at the moment. Not going so well.

Periodic lag - it isnt present ALL the time, but when it's there, it's bad. 20seconds of not being able to do a thing, then suddenly everything 'catches up'. Almost died to a single bat because it was hitting me during one of these lag episodes lol

Posted

Everyone with this issue, could you make an alt on a different server and play on a non-Valencia channel? Eg if you play in Uno, make an alt in Edan and log into Calpheon E1 channel. Please try as many channels as possible and report your findings here.

Posted

I tried many channels from Valencia01, Calpheon 02, Serendia 02, Mediah 01. I have been playing since beta. The lag has been around since day one and has not been fixed. Most of my friends have quit now, and I am getting to that point as well. You know the issues so please just be honest about them and fix it instead of pretending like it is something new. You need to invest in servers period. Just do it or this game will die.

Posted (edited)

Devs and Moderators!  Thanks for whatever you did to fix the issues we were getting hammered with. I waited a few days to see the aftermath.  Also: THANKS for taking down Valencia if it was not up to par that was an awesome deal, I look forward to its return soon.  Cheers and much appreciated heavy kudos.  As for my left field random as heck ideas above?  Use 'em if you gotta or just keep it fixed if you are able to (Much better alternative :) ).  Thanks!

Edited by Jaydalf

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0