• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

The game lacks imposing and memorable places.

38 posts in this topic

Posted

Honestly it is not that much more work to render awesome than it is go render blah. It is just a mater of hiring the right artists.

Posted

I like to compare this to LOTR style vs WoW (the live action movie). This is not high fantasy, but more gritty and realistic. Everything here is actually life-size compared to, say, WoW(game) exaggerated chairs, stairs, doors etc.

BUT, the monotony of the "plain" areas can actually be a good thing. After I ride through some DRY AS HELL dunes and deserted mines around Keplar (not to mention Keplar is depressing as f) I get a great sense of relief when I return to Calpheon. Actually, after spending time in the fields then arrriving back to Calpheon/heidel/Velia I kind of go "whew, time to wind down check on some stuff." That's something pretty cool to me that no other game has done. WoW and GW2 might feel cool and comfortable and colorful in most zone aesthetics,  but this game makes me feel both ends of the spectrum.

And Calpheon is fantastic, and is probably the most "advanced" city we'll see for some time story-wise. Cities all over are recovering from war and still fighting against beastkin atm. Maybe the new underwater zone in the future will bring something cool.

memorable enough for me :P 

2015-09-09_436924242[6457_73_1862].JPG

You might be being sarcastic but that feeling of "damn this place, get me outta here *sips some beer, is refreshing from other games where everything is feel-good happy go lucky.

Posted

One of the most buityful places in the game.. Highly rememberable And has a lot more of those lakes and a cascade

image.jpg

Posted

The cities in this game are beautiful, but apart from that and few other locations there are just so many trees and rocks.

When i think about Lineage 2 i remember awesome places with impressive buildings, palaces, open dungeons. Tera has incredible architectures, giant buildings that you can enter and fully explore, over several floors. World of Warcraft is full of points of interest that will get stuck in your mind for years and form nice memories.

This game has beautiful landscapes, but they are really not memorable; they lack points of interests.

I hope that they will fix this in the future updates, because personally that is a big part of what ties me to a MMORPG.

This game is open world, alot of it will be missed because you dont care simply best stated.

Lemme go ask you a question, when you went on a road trip, do you remember every single detail of that road trip, even the locations on the way to your destination?

As to point of interest,  being an open world, theres going to be times that youre going to be passing by alot of nothingness, thats just how the world works.

Posted

BUT, the monotony of the "plain" areas can actually be a good thing. After I ride through some DRY AS HELL dunes and deserted mines around Keplar (not to mention Keplar is depressing as f) 

Wtf? Keplan is my favourite city... :D Best soundtrack as well... :D 

Posted

i have to disagree, so far all of the world map ive discovered is unique and has impressed me, everywhere feels emersive and alive

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

There are a few memorable unique places. 

Calpheon

The Harpy castle that separates Calph territory from Serendia

Marnie's Lab

and lots of others

But in general BDO tried to aim for realism. I agree the city of wheels in Tera is beautiful but something like that couldn't exist in BDO. it's too unrealistic for BDO standards. 

Edited by Dremlock

Posted (edited)

It's because this game is Open World PvP. The same with Age of Wushu.

In Open World PvP, you need to spread out, be everywhere, not concentrate into a specific locations. The game needs to be a little on realistic side with little fantasy landscapes.

Different types of games has different things.

You are wrong. OWPvP games not means only OWPvP. L2 is hardcore OWPvP game, much better OWPvP than BDO, while everybody who played it still remember amazing locations as:

• Lair Of Antharas
  • Ivory Tower
  • Tower of Insolence

etc.

But in general BDO tried to aim for realism.

Realism? Like this flashes during fight and oversized weapons in awakenings?

Edited by Hekki

Posted

Wtf? Keplan is my favourite city... :D Best soundtrack as well... :D 

Well, at least the human racists miners are well-paid 9_9 

(judging from a quest dialogue)

Posted

Realism? Like this flashes during fight and oversized weapons in awakenings?

Moreso than other games. I guess think of it as a spectrum

Reality--------------------------BDO---------------Tera-----------------------------You getting a girlfriend----------------------Something completely unrealistic

4 people like this

Posted

for me its by far the mmo with the most memorable places. its completely subjective i guess.

Posted

Lineage had a lot of memorable places but I think that has more to do with nostalgia and the memories you made in certain locations. I think BDO has that potential too and it definitely makes my jaw drop regularly. 

Posted

There are scenic vistas all across this realm. There are all kinda of hidden caves and caverns to explore, if you are an explorer and find them. You want imposing places to remember try the Hexe sanctuary. This place is beautiful and spooky at the same time.

2016-04-28_8154629.thumb.JPG.a1fe394e9e2