• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Black Desert Online is not anymore a sandbox game

91 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone,

First of all I want to tell you that I do not make this topic to compromised the game because I love Black Desert Online and I have already pre-ordered the 50€ version, but to me it risks of not not walked a long way.

The game was announced as a mmo " sandbox " with an open world pvp but is it always the case for our EU/ NA version ?

To me BDO is not anymore a real "sandbox" game. It's an other important problem of the game.

To me BDO is not a real sansbox game because :

- It is not the players who manage the economy of the game (no trade/ only AH with fixed prices )

- it's not the players who manage the pvp system (karma)

There is no interest to create :

- trade guilds (because no trade between players) 

- mercenary guilds (because we can't give monney) ofc those guild can exist but they can't be Rewarded with monney.

- Guardian guilds : Guilds which protect the players of the PK (because we can't reward them with monney)

- Pk guilds (no loot on players or no loot on Cart, and AH is not local but general about is the city or we are so no risk with the transportation of goods with carts

Well i'm sorry to say that but in my opinion this game wont work for a long time, this is a great game but not a "sandbox" game.

It will works for 6 month, maybe more, times for all players to grind lvl 56 or more and after that, some players are going to realize that the game is without interest and this is not enough for them.

Ok there is pvp with pk/open pvp world / GvG/ Arena and few PvE content with boss and jobs and horses but it's not enough if the game do not respect the fact that it was announced as a sandbox game.

If the game wants to work on the long term he has to respect the codes of a sandbox game which is not the case at the moment.

Maybe i'm totaly wrong and this will be possible in the game on our EU/NA version, if so, please tell me.

PS : i love the game ;) and i just wanted to say that to well inform new players about the game.

Edited by Grimbergen
2 people like this

Posted

raw

9 people like this

Posted

giphy.gif

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Lol, why ^^? I'm just asking a question to you ? What do you think ? Is the game still a sandbox or no ;) ?

Edited by Grimbergen

Posted

It's more sandbox than most of the other mmos out on the market.  It's not on the scale of EVE or anything, but its still far from a Theme Park mmo.

9 people like this

Posted (edited)

It's more sandbox than most of the other mmos out on the market.  It's not on the scale of EVE or anything, but its still far from a Theme Park mmo.

Ok, thanks for your opinion. But do you think is it enough to work in a long way ?

Edited by Grimbergen

Posted (edited)

Lol, why ^^? I'm just asking a question to you ? What do you think ? Is the game still a sandbox or no ;) ?

Well for the marketplace, I played a MMO with a free market before. You had to deal with idiots undercutting you by big margins ruining your profits, so I don't mind this honestly.

And if you add a free market, most of the trading between NPC
s will be null. I love the idea of farming/crafting/fishing my way to profit instead of farming the bestestest item everyone wants and what everyone does.

No diversity you know. 

Edited by LoneWolf
5 people like this

Posted

being competetive
'm probably going to work my ass off to be known as one of the best in my class, true story, then people will start running away when I enter siege / GvG .
that's my only goal, be aware.

TERA screenshot.

TERA_ScreenShot_20130810_191728.png.6ff13df21a88a29aa4a70ffb164634c5.png

TERA_ScreenShot_20130810_193742.png.9980999f9242a37cfb03deea63e42499.png

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

free trade it is a problem when you have goldsellers, bots and such, would be nice tough to have players build their own shops in town and have people buy product from them.

Edited by Alhaziel
6 people like this

Posted

You answered your own question: It's a great game, but not a sandbox.

It's a sandbox in sense of exploration.

Posted (edited)

No sandbox MMORPG is an actual sandbox like Minecraft.  There's a difference between the sandbox genre by itself and a sandbox MMORPG.  There's absolute freedom in the sandbox genre by itself; you can usually terraform the world and build it up to whatever you want and/or need whereas in the sandbox MMORPG you are enclosed into it's world/universe and must abide by the rules within the game.  Black Desert, Eve and ArcheAge achieve this in similar and different ways so they are true to their sandbox tag in that sense.  As long as there's more freedom than the traditional themepark, they are achieving the sandbox mmo genre tag.

Edited by JerryBoyle
1 person likes this

Posted

Pretty much this.  The elements you are asking for, are unrestricted griefing, and gold farmers.  In a world without exploiters it would be awesome to have what you described.  Mercenary guilds, free trade, bounty hunting. And I admit these things do work great in Eve Online.

However since some rotten apples would exploit all of these mechanics in BDO, they ruin it for everyone.

- unpunished PvP good idea  >  griefing and camping lower level players

- free open trade system good idea  >  gold farmers, auction house bots, people spamming www.bdogold.edu in chat

- bounty hunting good idea > PKers have friends or guildmates kill them to collect the bounty

All of these things would be really cool, except for the bad apples who ruin it for everyone.  So that's why we don't have them.

10 people like this

Posted

First lemme say I have not played this game. I have however read and initially this game was to be sold as a "sand-box." More and more I am seeing the "sand-box" like qualities taken away to appeal to the PVE market. I feel like PVE'ers need to learn what it means to play a open-world "sand-box" game and Daum needs to figure out if that's truly the kind of game they want to release. A lot of sales for this game have gone through for a ideal that is now being changed and seemingly dictated by too many markets.

We do not need another WOW or the many clones that followed. If you're going to make a "sand-box" then keep it "sand-box!"

Posted

being competetive
'm probably going to work my ass off to be known as one of the best in my class, true story, then people will start running away when I enter siege / GvG .
that's my only goal, be aware.

TERA screenshot.

TERA_ScreenShot_20130810_191728.png.6ff13df21a88a29aa4a70ffb164634c5.png

TERA_ScreenShot_20130810_193742.png.9980999f9242a37cfb03deea63e42499.png

haha I seen you long ago in CS! Which server you on?

Posted (edited)

Pretty much this.  The elements you are asking for, are unrestricted griefing, and gold farmers.  In a world without exploiters it would be awesome to have what you described.  Mercenary guilds, free trade, bounty hunting. And I admit these things do work great in Eve Online.

However since some rotten apples would exploit all of these mechanics in BDO, they ruin it for everyone.

- unpunished PvP good idea  >  griefing and camping lower level players

- free open trade system good idea  >  gold farmers, auction house bots, people spamming www.bdogold.edu in chat

- bounty hunting good idea > PKers have friends or guildmates kill them to collect the bounty

All of these things would be really cool, except for the bad apples who ruin it for everyone.  So that's why we don't have them.

Yep, i understand but we/Pearl Abyss could easily fix thoses problem with solutions.

Anyway we will see if the game will work in a long way and i hope so ^^.

Edited by Grimbergen

Posted (edited)

I was going to mention a few points, but everything's pretty much addressed already.

It's just not possible to have a true sandbox MMO without either rules or trolls. It's closer to a sandbox MMO than most other MMOs at least. If you want a true sandbox, go host a private server on any of the many DayZ clones out there, Minecraft alikes, etc and invite your friends for the multiplayer experience.

If you want a bunch of people on one server, aka MMO, we need rules unfortunately. Eve Online is quite merciless jsyk. People may praise its sandbox elements, but you can get exploited in tons of ways. If you like that, I suggest putting up with any of the mechanics you may not like (combat, etc) and play that over trying to turn this game into Eve.

Edited by Shokuryu

Posted

I never seen this game as a sandbox because

1 Character locked to a class
2 Most classes locked to a gender/race

What makes it sandbox like to me
1 no instances(minus player housing and 3v3 arena)
2 many life skills to level
3 more ways to make money than gathering crafting and dungeons
4 you can explore for days and not see all the game offers

Posted

OP. A game does not disqualify itself from being a sandbox because its missing a couple elements you see in other sandbox games.

First.  Your definition of sandbox is a value judgment. There is no certified list in existence that says "a game must have W, X, Y, and Z elements, or it's not a sandbox."

Second. Sandbox is just a buzzword marketing teams attach to games that bear even the tinyest semblance of "open world." Get over it.

3 people like this

Posted

haha I seen you long ago in CS! Which server you on?

mount tyrannas , I can't remember wich one before the merge tho

Posted

I never seen this game as a sandbox because

1 Character locked to a class
2 Most classes locked to a gender/race

What makes it sandbox like to me
1 no instances(minus player housing and 3v3 arena)
2 many life skills to level
3 more ways to make money than gathering crafting and dungeons
4 you can explore for days and not see all the game offers

no instanced content.

Posted

mount tyrannas , I can't remember wich one before the merge tho

I thought  I seen you on VOT I could be wrong before they gave server transfers and I move to MT.

MT isn't much of a pvp server as I thought it to be. I think people over hyped it cause a lot of people on mt can't pvp and it is p2w after all lol

Posted

It's somewhat sandboxy. Let's see how the NA/EU Market views it after it's released here.

Posted (edited)

Definition -

What does Sandbox mean?

A sandbox is a style of game in which minimal character limitations are placed on the gamer, allowing the gamer to roam and change a virtual world at will. In contrast to a progression-style game, a sandbox game emphasizes roaming and allows a gamer to select tasks. Instead of featuring segmented areas or numbered levels, a sandbox game usually occurs in a “world” to which the gamer has full access from start to finish. 

A sandbox game is also known as an open-world or free-roaming game.
Techopedia explains Sandbox

Gamers play sandbox games according to their preference. These games include structured elements – such as mini-games, tasks, submissions and storylines – that may be ignored by gamers. In fact, the sandbox game's nonlinear nature creates storyline challenges for game designers. For this reason, tasks and side missions usually follow a progression, where tasks are unlocked upon successful task completion.

Sandbox game types vary. Massive multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPG) generally include a mixture of sandbox and progression gaming and heavily depend on emergent interactive user gameplay for retaining non-progression-focused gamers. Modern "beat 'em ups" and first-person shooters have delved more deeply into the sandbox realm with titles like the "Grand Theft Auto" series, "Red Dead Redemption," "Assassin’s Creed" and others, allowing gamers to run and gun wherever the mood takes them.

In spite of their name, various sandbox games continue to impose restrictions at some stages of the game environment. This can be due the game's design limitations, or can be short-run, in-game limitations, such as some locked areas in games that are unlocked once certain milestones are achieved.

Trade is restricted because of the sheer amount of difficulty in dealing with gold sellers. That in turn caused all the other restriction you listed up there.

Karma is typically handled on developer basis due to the sheer amount of abuse if players had full control.

I still think that game is a  sandbox MMO, but I don't think any  MMO game is a true "sandbox" in terms of the cookie cutter defintion.

Edited by Priya9
2 people like this

Posted

tumblr_nflz09DXYT1rfqi13o1_400.gif

Kek

Posted

I thought  I seen you on VOT I could be wrong before they gave server transfers and I move to MT.

MT isn't much of a pvp server as I thought it to be. I think people over hyped it cause a lot of people on mt can't pvp and it is p2w after all lol

top 10-12guilds could pvp, if you could pvp you would get recruted into those. rest of the server not much. I agree