• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

A soon to be buyer's question about the cash shop

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Some Questions about the In-Game Cash Shop.

Hello, this is Retro here, it is most likely that none of you know me, unless you are one of the 12 subs on my youtube channel, or one of my steam friends and the such.
But that is not important, I do admit to have some egotistical problems do to complications in my early life, but I will keep them in check in order to be a valid contributor to the community. But enough of that, lets get on to the subject matter.

I discovered news of this game around summer last year when I was downloading f2p mmo's left and right and being disappointed with all of them. Things happened and I discovered this game, saw that it wasn't released yet and put it in the back of my mind until about a week ago when I was trying to find a B2P MMO RPG with a lot of sandbox elements, one of my major interests being player housing. I came across this, did some research, and now I will buy it in about a month or two when funds become available. I am trying to find a guest pass to really try out the game and the combat system but my major concern is the real money shop that is present in the game.

My first question is: Is there some pay to win type item similar to the WOW token in WOW? If I am paying $50 for the ultimate edition to a MMO I don't want to pay $20 for the get rich day one DLC.

My second question is: Is there an emphases on cosmetics, or an emphasis on items that make it easier to play the game? I don't want to go up against a level 5 guy that only sports a legendary nightblade of darkness or whatever because his mum doesn't check her credit card statements often.

My third and final question is: Is it pay to win? More to the fact, will I feel handicapped because I don't have as deep of a wallet as other players to a point that it would hurt my enjoyment of the game?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. If you feel to take the time to write a response I beg of you to not troll this thread please.

-Retro signing out 

Posted (edited)

Hi

There isn't much of anything you can buy in the cash shop that aids you in the game.   Pretty much everything you buy is cosmetic.

That said your character will look the same at level 50 as it does at level 1 unless you buy costumes in the shop, and the stuff is expensive.

It will cost you $30 (or as much as the basic game costs) for one outfit to make your character have a little personality.

You won't go up against anyone with super weapons until you get to level 45 at that point you become a target for level 55s unless you have really upgraded your equipment.

The only way to do that is in the game using game money which is a long haul, but it doesn't cost you any real cash, but it kind of has to be your main focus during the early part of the game.

You don't really buy better equipment, you buy your basic equipment in the early part of the game and keep improving it. 

Equipment isn't tied to your level, (you can't pass the equipment to your other characters or I would start a new one) you can use a max weapon at level one if you could figure out a way to get one, but you can't.

So to answer you question you don't have to spend any real money to play the game.

I haven't spent a dime so far but I really wish I could get some better looking clothing. LOL

Mike

Edited by Mike Hawthorne

Posted

I wouldnt call a lot of the more use items cosmetice.

Inventory slots, Bank slots, Weight increase. (All have a way to be gotten in game but not to the degree you can buy them) Well bank slots can be plentiful but you have to spend contribution on it and if you buy them in cash shop you can use those for other stuff. Weight in game 60 in cash shop 300. Inventory like 60 ingame 180ish available. 

It is really called pay for convince. The only thing that is kind of P2W is a suit that hides your name tags and makes you harder to see in game until you pounce. A new riding suit that lets you level mounts 20 percent faster and stacks with in-game costume(questionable but not over the top).

2. There is a split between cosmetic and convenient. The convenient is actually more reasonably priced. The cosmetics like Dyes are horridly high priced for what you get :

Dye : 3 in a box that are rng what color you get and are 1 use for a dollar. You never get the one you want and each armor piece has 3 dye channels.

Costume : 22 dollars, character bound, ingame costumes are horrid by comparison.

Definitely not pay to win. Grind to win. No life to win.

Posted

Well if you are not blind then you can see the tree armor outfit users too. Bank slots and inventory slots can be earned for free wia loyaltiy point, contribution point and with quests. So you are not foced to pay for anything like that. You can get random dye box for loyalty point (free - 100 lp/day if you login). Costumes/Outfits are expensive...well A full outfit+weapon skin=2900 pearls..well the price of the game. Its your own decision if you want it or not, you are not forced to buy anything.

1 person likes this

Posted

No, the game is not pay to win. It's pay to convenience or look good.
Aside frm cosmetics & 2 suits (one of which can be countered via crafted /acquired in game items anyway) everything else can be earned in the game itself.
You can not buy any gear. You can not buy any weapons. You are not locked out of gear slots without having to pay. You are not locked out of any content without having to pay.

Posted

It looks like this game would be a good fit for me. I will probably get the $50 edition to get that horse whistle. After looking at the over world maps and some combat game play, I can say that I am very exited to get this game. I want to thank all who replied for taking time out of their day to read and answer my questions. I am very grateful. I wish you all good luck in your future adventures in the world of Black Desert Online, and I hope to join you very soon!

-Retro Signing Out