• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

SoJ instead of ShieldThrow 4 grinding

30 posts in this topic

Posted

is it just me or got some other players the feeling that grinding just with spear and soj is more effective than using shieldthrow?

i think about 2 reset the skill and use the points for better pvp skills like punishment ulti or celestial ult

Posted (edited)

In my case its the oposite. I have been 50 for 2 weeks now, and I still can't see how soj can be better than shield throw. I still have to get the ultimate on soj ofc, I guess that will make a huge difference. But for now, 1 throw with RMB pressed destroys everything, while soj does about half the damage 

Edited by kalarro

Posted

Both are useful. For awhile after getting SoJ ultimate I just specced out of the ST Flow ability completely. Shield throw is amazing in the early game because it drags the vast majority of mobs with it, but many monsters in Mediah are immune to the drag effect and it simply goes past them and stops dealing damage after the first few hits.

I picked up the ST Flow ability again a couple of days ago. It works well to chain after your SoJ third hit for cleaning up small to medium mobs, and is a combo short enough to fit between attacks of large, high health mobs. 

All you really need for early game is shield throw but it gets extremely boring and repetitive, and it almost caused me to reroll at 50.

Posted

The damage of shield throw scales down a lot, and comobing 3hrd hit SOJ's into packs is far more efficient for grinding, I only really use shield throw now for finishing packs/stun and when im trying to group things for a SOJ - but compared to levelling it has seen far less use at late game.

Posted

I'm by no means a master - far from it - but I'll stick with Shield Throw for Trash mobs and SoJ for the larger ones - Like the larger Manes.

I've also noticed there seems to be more blocking going on from the 50+ mobs ..... which invalidates Shield Throw....

Posted

I can't imagine farming Sausans without SoJ. Usual rotation is something like Shield Throw -> Spear(Ult) -> SoJ -> Sharp Light -> SoJ -> Shield Throw -> Spear -> Shield Throw. Still usually doesn't kill Tough Soldiers even with 120 AP.

Posted

I can't imagine farming Sausans without SoJ. Usual rotation is something like Shield Throw -> Spear(Ult) -> SoJ -> Sharp Light -> SoJ -> Shield Throw -> Spear -> Shield Throw. Still usually doesn't kill Tough Soldiers even with 120 AP.

Shield throw is still the way to go. SoJ brings you too close to the melee mobs that hit super hard. Once we get the lance, respec all your shield toss skill into a medium range lancer ability.

Posted

I've had this exact thought yesterday when grinding sausans (I'm almost 54, 100/170). The damage of shield throw is nothing compared to SOJ once you get the ult. I do think that the stun of shield throw can be quite useful in PVP as well, for small groups and against classes like sorcs, or even to finish of squishy classes on low HP, but it's hard to justify the skill points for that. In regards to PVP and having an aoe cc, putting these points towards divine power seems a little better?

Posted (edited)

Keep at least 1 Point in Shield Throw, it's important for PvP

Edit: because of animation cancels and stun

Edited by Ridazinator

Posted

In my case its the oposite. I have been 50 for 2 weeks now, and I still can't see how soj can be better than shield throw. I still have to get the ultimate on soj ofc, I guess that will make a huge difference. But for now, 1 throw with RMB pressed destroys everything, while soj does about half the damage 

The reason, you said it yourself, is because you are 50.

Posted

Since mediah released, i rarely use shield throw anymore. It still has its use, mainly on weaker mobs, push/group mobs together, and to catch 1 or 2 out of the pack mobs (usually range). A lot of mediah mobs resist the lock/push back from shield throw, so they usually get close to my face which can damage me a bit plus they dont take damage from shield throw if they are too close to me. However they are not resisted to the knockdown effect(except     1 or 2) so i can side step or roll through, CS+SoJ ulti > SL+SoJ. If i am lazy, i can just s+rmb til they died. It chains knockdown these tougher mobs (Giant manes, large axe helm, or the eldric follower etc). I am thinking of resetting the shield throw line and keep just 1 for pvp purpose. Shield throw is still good versus weaker mobs but once you encounter the tougher ones, you gonna have to actually play with dodging and rolling and soj. 

Posted

just use both lol, u are missing out if u remove one of the other since u can combo them, especially with double spear . learn all the 3rd soj skills and combo t hat shit with shield throw 

Posted

From my experience the classic shield throw --> celestial spear --> shield throw combo was more than enough for mobs when leveling to 50.

However when u get to mediah it often doesn't cut it anymore, particularly when u hit 51 and unlock ultimate SoJ. You'll certainly feel the difference when you start weaving in the 3rd hit + ultimate SoJ into your combos against the tougher mediah mobs.

Posted

I use a mix.  Usually shield throw only when you can chain spin the mobs or to take down low hp ranged enemies.  If not then SOJ with knock downs are the way to go.  You can get the timing down and basically knock down most Mediah enemies in between the time they are no longer immune from the last knockdown and before they attack after standing up.  

Posted

Update to my previous post:

I was using an axion shield to build fail stacks and ended up with a +15 in 60 stones with 15 failstacks saved on one character. I wish I had that kind of luck enhancing something I actually cared about. Anyways, I played around with the axion shield a bit today while farming in a few areas and was surprised at  how much stronger shield throw felt with that extra  AP.

Currently level 54 122/178 with vangertz and 134/164 with axion. Once I get it to ultimate I'll have a better comparison on my hands but it seems like shield throw starts dealing a ton of damage again once you get the AP to back it up.  It could have something to do with ST being a relatively low modifier when compared to SoJ. (400% vs 975%)

1 person likes this

Posted

i like both! i use both.

Posted

im no expert at the game but once i hit mediah i really slowed down using ST and started using other combos, its alot more intricate but feels alot faster and generally makes the game more fun then limiting what i use, Ult Charge->ult SOJ->Celestial spear->ult SOJ->Sharp light lv4->ult SOJ, weaker mobs usually die from the 2nd SOJ but if the stronger ones survive ill do a left/right rmb click into counter->shield throw->shield chase->skyward strike->Ult SOJ and usually by then the mobs dead, i also try to use shield throw to finish mobs so i can combo it into shield charge so i can more quickly move to another mob.

Posted

Get enemies stacked with shield throws and combo SoJ ezpz

Posted

I wouldn't ever part with either.

Posted

I've started using SoJ for grinding more to reduce the habit of using shield throw in PVP and to practice combos. Now I just use it to clean up straggling mobs.

Posted

Mediah content you pretty much need to use SoJ to improve clear speed - 

Posted

Started grinding pirates yday. Totally reevaluated the skills i use. Shieldthrow + sharp light ult is What makes it possible at decent speed. 

122/180 + all AP enchants and guild bonus. 

Reading up on KR content grinding seems being mid range caster with kds on range mobs is the best. 

Posted

I tried shield throw a couple of times. To me... it consumed more SP for less damage in return. No extra damage was gained from stun. And its animation was slow which left me vulnerable. To combo the animation out felt like a waste of time and resources.

Posted

Sometimes it's better, depends on what you're fighting. Back attacks do a lot of damage so if you manage to do the S+Leftclick+Q >D+Right Click >S+Leftclick+Q or S+LeftClick+Q> A+RightClick > S+Leftclick+Q then you can basically do a faster shield throw at the mob. At hasrah right now, i do more damage with that shield throw combo. With ogres I do more damage with SoJ Canceling. When fighting Kzarka, i do the shield throw combo i mentioned and manage to stay top 40 dps to get loot very often. If you have the 10% cast speed on SoJ, you can Weave SoJ in between that Shield throw combo and get even more damage from it because you hit significantly more. If you are ever running out of mana, you can do some quick just counters and then just counter into SoJ *after the single just counter hits, not the multiple hits* and start the combo over. 

Posted

I've started using SoJ a lot for grinding after I've noticed that if there's an elevation difference between you and the mob or if your shield throw goes in an object your the enemy takes no damage. In Mediah the terrain is so fked up that it's almost impossible to properly use shield throw.

1 person likes this