• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Accents: The Wrong Kind of Immersion

57 posts in this topic

Posted

Architecture, naming conventions, ect. has no weight on how someone speaks. Calpheonians have Italian names, however that doesn't mean they are going to sound Italian. Mediah has Turkish/Ottoman inspired clothes/architecture, however that doesn't mean that Medians are going to sound Turkish. 

What we are used to in the real world doesn't have to be the same in a game. I could make an oriental inspired world and make the people sound British, and it would be correct because it's my own created culture. Does it sound like it fits? No, but that doesn't mean it's wrong.

You're weirdly using America & Canada for the model of this game. The world of Black Desert is not intended to be modeled after the US. And the fact that you're getting offended and citing your friends and their accents -- hey guess what, I'm an American and I wholly disagree with them using what they're using here.

Valencia has Arabic inspiration and Arabic accents. That alone makes your argument invalid -- if they had decided to make Valencia have something else that would be one thing, but literally Valencia and Mediah share similar aesthetics and worship the same god. An Australian accent is asinine.

Posted

You're weirdly using America & Canada for the model of this game. The world of Black Desert is not intended to be modeled after the US. And the fact that you're getting offended and citing your friends and their accents -- hey guess what, I'm an American and I wholly disagree with them using what they're using here.

Valencia has Arabic inspiration and Arabic accents. That alone makes your argument invalid -- if they had decided to make Valencia have something else that would be one thing, but literally Valencia and Mediah share similar aesthetics and worship the same god. An Australian accent is asinine.

Don't see why you're saying I'm getting offended and getting offensive? I thought this was a civilized discussion, not a one sided arguement. If you want to make a post expressing your opinion, be prepared for someone to have a differing one.

Again I say that this is a game, it's not modeled after the real world. It references a lot from real world, and as you have said, takes names of real cities. However, that does not mean that the cultures in Black Desert speak the same as those who do in the real world. You can disagree with PA if you want, but if they decide that their culture has a certain accent, then it has that accent. Does it fit in your, mine, or some random guys opinion of what they should sound like? Maybe not, but again, that doesn't mean it's wrong. Do I wish they used something other than Australian, or gave Calpheon Italian accents? Sure. But if they wanted Mediah to have an Arabic accent, they would have given the people there Arabic accents.

Posted (edited)

Architecture, naming conventions, ect. has no weight on how someone speaks. Calpheonians have Italian names, however that doesn't mean they are going to sound Italian. Mediah has Turkish/Ottoman inspired clothes/architecture, however that doesn't mean that Medians are going to sound Turkish. 

What we are used to in the real world doesn't have to be the same in a game. I could make an oriental inspired world and make the people sound British, and it would be correct because it's my own created culture. Does it sound like it fits? No, but that doesn't mean it's wrong.

They use language-specific names though, which can be pretty indicative  "Carlo DeRose", which is "Carlo from Rose".  It's Spanish/French, and no other language in the world does this De/Di/Du thing aside from Romance languages, so they're clearly speaking a Romance language or at least have some Romance influence.  In English it means absolutely nothing without taking it into the context of it being related to Romance names.  Other Serendian/Calpheonian names follow this general trend.  So it's pretty clear that they likely speak at least something with a heavy Romance influence.

If there is no Romance influence because everyone speaks a variety of English accents -- then where on Earth did these names come from?  It isn't just about architecture/clothing, it's that names are tied to culture.

This being said, I can accept Calpheonian languages as being British-sounding, from the perspective that there seems to have been an influx of Southern Calpheonian (Very very heavily Scandinavian) culture through the Valkyries who are likely a fairly ancient order meaning the exchange has been going on for some time.  Romance + Germanic = how English developed.  I can see how a Romance-inspired place with direct tie-ins to Italian language may have come to speak in something similar to an English accent.

And I can live with Balenos's American accents, as for some reason they have a bunch of English-named people in Western Balenos and American accents are related to English ones.

But the other ones follow similar conventions with no evidence of having mixed with other groups in a similar way, which is what I'm more curious about.  Like Mediah, as others have mentioned.  I'm not 100% sure that the language basis of Mediah is Ottoman/Turkish since it seems to be extremely all over the place, but I can definitely say that half of the names are Arabic and thus likely related to Valencia, so doesn't it seem a bit peculiar that they were tossed with... Australian?  Serendia too is pretty perplexing... but expected, I guess.  I can live with that one even if it would've been nice to not see American accents in a game for a change (Yes, I'm American).

Really it's just Mediah that's bugging me.  I can find a way to make 'em all work in my head in some way shape or form but the Mediah one.  Ah well.. it seems they've already started recording so it may very well be beyond our control.  Maybe it'll grow on me.

Edited by Maevynn
1 person likes this

Posted

Yeah, I guess I'd like them to clarify though because already the lore arguments are starting where people are basing countries off the accents.

They really should have waited with publishing the lore (anywhere) untill the game was released.
But on second thought, they never officially released a version of that lore for the West did they?
Maybe they plan to change the story as wel >.<
My my... now wouldn't that be a stupid thing to do lol

Posted

There a god in Black Desert? O.o

Posted

There a god in Black Desert? O.o

Several! There's a couple of "bad" gods and then Calpheon / Serendia (the west) worships Elion and Valencia has Aal or A'al.

Posted

Several! There's a couple of "bad" gods and then Calpheon / Serendia (the west) worships Elion and Valencia has Aal or A'al.

I'm quite a curious gamer when it comes to these kind of stuff, so my mission is hereby official!
The goal is to find out everything about those so-called gods only through playing the game!
This will be awesome.

Posted

...someone actually made a thread complaining about accents...

O_o

1 person likes this

Posted

...someone actually made a thread complaining about accents...

O_o

Thanks for the bump!

They use language-specific names though, which can be pretty indicative  "Carlo DeRose", which is "Carlo from Rose".  It's Spanish/French, and no other language in the world does this De/Di/Du thing aside from Romance languages, so they're clearly speaking a Romance language or at least have some Romance influence.  In English it means absolutely nothing without taking it into the context of it being related to Romance names.  Other Serendian/Calpheonian names follow this general trend.  So it's pretty clear that they likely speak at least something with a heavy Romance influence.

If there is no Romance influence because everyone speaks a variety of English accents -- then where on Earth did these names come from?  It isn't just about architecture/clothing, it's that names are tied to culture.

This being said, I can accept Calpheonian languages as being British-sounding, from the perspective that there seems to have been an influx of Southern Calpheonian (Very very heavily Scandinavian) culture through the Valkyries who are likely a fairly ancient order meaning the exchange has been going on for some time.  Romance + Germanic = how English developed.  I can see how a Romance-inspired place with direct tie-ins to Italian language may have come to speak in something similar to an English accent.

And I can live with Balenos's American accents, as for some reason they have a bunch of English-named people in Western Balenos and American accents are related to English ones.

Fully agree with this, Maevynn. Thank you for stressing the naming conventions / language that they are derived from.

Posted

I would love to hear more exotic accents in the game, this is definitely a suggestion I'd endorse. However, I know they're gonna stick with what they've got. They've probably already done most of the recording and spent money on the VAs. They most likely went with the accents they went with for cost/understanding reasons as you've concluded, and that's fine with me. It won't ruin my experience but something unique is always welcomed.

Posted

Don't know about you guys but I'm content with the accents.
Devs could've always just picked a small team and make them voice act all those NPCs (over 1.000 was it?) with the same accent.

1 person likes this

Posted

I wonder why they didn't ask the community to pitch in with the voices too. I am guessing there are plenty here (with good recording devices) who would have pitched in voices with genuine accents for an exclusive title or a pet/horse.

Posted

SJW incoming....

Seriously? accents? they should just leave it korean audio with eng sub titles. THAT'LL TEACH YOU!xD

3 people like this

Posted

SJW incoming....

Seriously? accents? they should just leave it korean audio with eng sub titles. THAT'LL TEACH YOU!xD

Jokes on you! Too many foreign films and anime have made me immune to subtitles! xD

Posted

Jokes on you! Too many foreign films and anime have made me immune to subtitles! xD

lol

Posted

I hate to say it, but this is possibly the worst direction the devs could have gone into for accents. I understand if it was done for costs, but honestly this kills an aspect of Black Desert's beautiful lore. The appeal to me in this game was that it wasn't somewhere I was going to have to see the same western European fantasy. Italian / basque Calpheon? Beautiful German / French Serendia? Turkish-inspired Mediah? These were the things that appealed to me coming into the game as a roleplayer and lover of fantasy. FINALLY it seemed like a game was willing to do more than be a regurgitation of every other fantasy game out there.

Now we have British Calpheon, Australian Median (possibly the most perplexing) and an American Balenos and Serendia. I don't quite know what to think. Was it done for costs? If it was done for costs and the lore of the game isn't supposed to support an Aussie Mediah, can you guys at least say so? I would prefer that to know it was done for costs and doesn't negate the fact that Calpheon takes its inspiration from Italy. I can deal with a Borgias twist -- make the Spanish and Italians all use a British accent, but really they're Spanish / Italians. (The Median and American accent one is the most painful, but I will live if it's said to be done for reasons beyond changing the lore.)

The idea of fighting an upward battle with lore lovers and roleplayers alike is making my brain melt. I was on the heels of writing a piece about Black Desert Online and posting it / submitting it to places about the game launching in the US with no real "American" or "traditional British" presence in lore and that's kind of gone out the window.

I don't understand the decision. I hope that if it's going to be this way at launch, it's something you guys reconsider down the line and potentially change it to how it's intended in lore.

If it's too late to change, I would hope it gets changed in the future to streamline the game play with the actual intended lore.

You cant really say its bad until you hear the actual voice's in game :)

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

im all down for accents in different regions cause it emphasizes the different cultures in the game. however, it kinda looks like the devs just chose a random accent for each city and stuck with it without thinking too much about it

Edited by jayjay

Posted

I would love to hear more exotic accents in the game, this is definitely a suggestion I'd endorse. However, I know they're gonna stick with what they've got. They've probably already done most of the recording and spent money on the VAs. They most likely went with the accents they went with for cost/understanding reasons as you've concluded, and that's fine with me. It won't ruin my experience but something unique is always welcomed.

If that's the case I can understand it, but I would hope that later on when they add more voice actors for updated stuff that they try to vary it a little you know? It's fine if it can't be changed and if it's too late, but yeah.

im all down for accents in different regions cause it emphasizes the different cultures in the game. however, it kinda looks like the devs just chose a random accent for each city and stuck with it without thinking too much about it

Unfortunately yeah : / I mean I'm glad they decided to get VAs for it and I do appreciate that massive effort, but speaking as an American I prefer not to hear another generic American accent in my fantasy settings lmao. It's kind of bland.

Posted

Why oh why are Dwarves always Scottish QQ I love dwarves but it would nice to be voicing another race for a change. I misread Dragan for Dragons at first and was super hyped for a Scottish dragon then pop - Dragan is the home of Dwarves X.x 

Anyway - I hope the accents are good... If they sound Americanized (obv the vocals which are not the American/English) it will ruin the immersion because it will sound too false. An American/Scottish accent does not sound good and I imagine the other American/Arabic vocals don't sound too fab either etc.If it's not super easy to understand - I assume that's why subtitles accompany the npcs text?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Ei1je2hhA

Posted (edited)

Why oh why are Dwarves always Scottish QQ I love dwarves but it would nice to be voicing another race for a change. I misread Dragan for Dragons at first and was super hyped for a Scottish dragon then pop - Dragan is the home of Dwarves X.x 

Anyway - I hope the accents are good... If they sound Americanized (obv the vocals which are not the American/English) it will ruin the immersion because it will sound too false. An American/Scottish accent does not sound good and I imagine the other American/Arabic vocals don't sound too fab either etc.If it's not super easy to understand - I assume that's why subtitles accompany the npcs text?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Ei1je2hhA

I'm not an expert on these things but I think it comes from the general geographic location of fantasy Races. Tolkien is an easy example. But in the end it all boils down to making the reader/player familiar with a Race immediately with real-life examples.

If a Dwarf subsides in a Mountain range, as most do...a harsh Russian or Scottish accent seems best fit. Frodo and his fellow Hobbit shirelings had West-Country, Welsh and soft Southern English accents because that's how Tolkien and his absorbers felt they belonged on the map of Europe--cough--sorry Middle Earth! The Lord of the Rings movies are guilty of this also, the average man might have an American twang. But those hoity toity Elves are prolific in Queenly English.

Anywho, voice-work in MMOs are seldom that great haha. Scrap that, voices in games are generally not very good! I'm not expecting much!

Get the voice actor for Behnart on the go!

Edited by Castorcato
1 person likes this

Posted

Honestly I don't care either way, but would you rather the NPC's speak korean and have english text? They are adding voice overs, it's either that or Korean voices.. I honestly rather the English Voices. So what if it's a british or American accent.. FFS stop being so picky -_-

3 people like this

Posted

Being Australian myself I look forward to seeing what impact these accents have on the lore. Personally I hope they are not "Bogan" Aussie accents (as in really thick almost cringe worthy). There is nothing more off putting. I hope they keep it more Italian/British/ flavor of Australian accent.

Example of an Italian/Australian blend in English.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jzpiCQEGmE

I really hope they don't have bogan accents just please no (and I'm also Australian).

1 person likes this

Posted

The accents are fine, use the best voice actors available, rather then searching for those with specific accents en masse, or you end up with a few voice actors doing all the characters from that region, which is a huge no.

Posted

first of all, it's a game in a fantasy world. They choose the architect, culture, and names from wherever they want and whatever accent they want. Doesn't matter if it's Italian architecture with Italian names, the NPC's arn't Italian, they're made up. They could have chosen Italian architecture with Asian names and an Australian accen and it still wouldn't matter because that's the culture they created for that region IN. THE. GAME. This is not the real world, it's bdo, just because the regions in bdo have real world influences (Italian architecture and names) doesn't mean they should have Italian accents because they are not italian, and you are not in Italy. You are in a fantasy world with made up characters and regions, so the devs can give whatever accent they want with whatever architecture they want and whatever names they want. In the Korean version they all speak Korean no matter what region you're in, at least we get different accents.

4 people like this

Posted

first of all, it's a game in a fantasy world. They choose the architect, culture, and names from wherever they want and whatever accent they want. Doesn't matter if it's Italian architecture with Italian names, the NPC's arn't Italian, they're made up. They could have chosen Italian architecture with Asian names and an Australian accen and it still wouldn't matter because that's the culture they created for that region IN. THE. GAME. This is not the real world, it's bdo, just because the regions in bdo have real world influences (Italian architecture and names) doesn't mean they should have Italian accents because they are not italian, and you are not in Italy. You are in a fantasy world with made up characters and regions, so the devs can give whatever accent they want with whatever architecture they want and whatever names they want. In the Korean version they all speak Korean no matter what region you're in, at least we get different accents.

This is also very true. I have to agree