• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Worth rolling a witch? /pvp/

44 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey there, I come from other MMO's where casting magic class is usually one of the best for pvp and dps. When the game came out I had read about how weak they actually are and I just rolled different class, now I got back to the game and I wonder how's pvp with witch/wizard right now? I'm something between casual and hardcore player, do I have to have top gear just to kill some undergeared class just because I'll be casting class? Or is the pvp balanced now? How much skill is required, do you get killed most of the time? Thanks in advance, didn't really find anything recent

Posted (edited)

Extremly difficult and no fun. If you play very good you can kill many people but it will be still not the same as some other classes which can jump into 5 players and kill them all. 

The best pvp classes are currently sorc, tamer and ranger.

If they won't give decent awakening to wizard i will most likely reroll to sorc.

Edited by Rebi

Posted

Extremly difficult and no fun. If you play very good you can kill many people but it will be still not the same as some other classes which can jump into 5 players and kill them all. 

The best pvp classes are currently sorc, tamer and ranger.

If they won't give decent awakening to wizard i will most likely reroll to sorc.

Would switch Tamer with Valk...but yeah, PvP is not a reason to roll a witch/wizard

Posted

You're not going to win 5vs1, but you're going to excel in large scale GvG combat due to AoE. 1v1 depends on your gear and skill with the class, and I've seen plenty of good Wizard/Witch that can take on any class they go up against, and I've seen really bad ones as well that get owned by most classes too... Be aware that it's possible to build the class as a DP support class and do perfectly fine, you won't get a lot of kills without extended 5 minute fights and running them out of pots, but you are a nightmare to kill, your friends will love you for the heals and CC.

Posted (edited)

Dont listen to moira. Its the typical empty post.

Pros.

-Tons of AOE and crownd control which is good in a large scale pvp.

-Only class with AOE heal which is amazing in large scale pvp.

-Wizard/Witches is the best class at fighting with a horse. (Opens the door of Pking and small scale pvp)

Cons.

Struggle in 1v1 (You can still win but you will have to work 30x harder then any other classes.

Small scale pvp without a horse you will be the main focus and you wont be able to do much to counter it (Pretty much stay there and take it).

Extremely squishy 1 grabble and you're out.

You will be the main target in Large scale pvp and in small scale . They see a wizard they snipe you.

In large scale pvp without a coordinate group that protects you with everything they have. You will just get chain stun by (Sorc,warrior,valk,zerk,blader and ninja) meaning you wont have that much fun since everybody and their mother wants you dead.

You need to be TOP geared to do anything literallly.

Again without a horse you wont do much in OWpvp.

Conclusion more cons then pros. I guess this is why Wizard and witch awakening weapon take so long to be implement. They are probably trying to fix all the cons.

Edited by Rebornz
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

I do alot of PVP both large and small scale on my Witch. It is really hard to do and you will curse alot when going aone somewhere, however you really shine in group combat.

If you want to have a really good group character, go for it.

When you really roll a Witch/Wizard, be prepared to spend a good chunk of money extra to your gear on a really good horse/horse gear. It simply changes the class to something really fun and viable in small engagements and makes for some really awesome gameplay in huge fights. You will never think of the class the same when you have seen 5 Wizards rush into a pulk of enemies with their Horses casting Meteors followed by a rolling Blizzard ^^

If you want it just easy roll a ranger.

Edited by Eldiora

Posted

Wizard is definitly not a squishy class. I would even say it's quite tanky if played well.

1 person likes this

Posted

As a wizard, other wizards/witches are one of the easiest classes for me to kill, granted they have the weakest dp scaling out of any class so they are in fact the squishiest next to ranger. Their low mobility makes it really easy to capitalize on their weakness and that is their casting animation. Put a slow on them and watch them be useless as they try to cast a skill only to get CC'd before they finally cast it. To honest though, any wizard vs wizard match up is mostly a competition of gear - which is something to say with regard to the potential of the class. A consequence of their kit is that if you let them cast their spells, you're going to have a hard time, so it is much easier to kill them than endure the crap they throw at you, which is why the class is one of the first classes to get focused.

Posted

sorc is the way to go if you want to play it easy as a mage.

witch and wiz is more for group PvP then solo PvP.

as ppl have said. you need a horse to get the focus off you witch will cost 10mil + for a good one or you can play a support class to buff and heal your friends but will get focused down right away. giving you time to cast lighting before your grabbed and nuked down by sorc, tamer ranger or whatever other class thats sees you.

if you want a challenge Witch/wiz is the way to go. if you want to take it easy and 1 combo people. sorc is the way to go.

im not saying Witch/wiz cant 1 combo but it require long cast time and Long Cooldowns to do it.

all in all you need to find the play style that fits you.

Posted

As a wizard, other wizards/witches are one of the easiest classes for me to kill, granted they have the weakest dp scaling out of any class so they are in fact the squishiest next to ranger. Their low mobility makes it really easy to capitalize on their weakness and that is their casting animation. Put a slow on them and watch them be useless as they try to cast a skill only to get CC'd before they finally cast it. To honest though, any wizard vs wizard match up is mostly a competition of gear - which is something to say with regard to the potential of the class. A consequence of their kit is that if you let them cast their spells, you're going to have a hard time, so it is much easier to kill them than endure the crap they throw at you, which is why the class is one of the first classes to get focused.

lol, you have no clue how to play wizard 

Posted

lol, you have no clue how to play wizard 

I think you're better off rerolling to sorc since you don't have a clue yourself.

Posted

I think you're better off rerolling to sorc since you don't have a clue yourself.

ok. And now go and get some practice before you say wizard is squishy. 

Posted

ok. And now go and get some practice before you say wizard is squishy. 

When I say squishy, it means this class would die to a combo that another class wouldn't with the same DP. Go ahead and use Q in pvp if you think it's actually helping you

Posted

When I say squishy, it means this class would die to a combo that another class wouldn't with the same DP. Go ahead and use Q in pvp if you think it's actually helping you

You just proved me for a second time that you have no clue about pvp as a wizard.

Posted

You just proved me for a second time that you have no clue about pvp as a wizard.

?

Posted (edited)

Not trying get in middle of you two arguing, but i don't die to one class combo,but ranger.That if he opens to pk on me without i am aware of his position and shotgun my face. You know rangers are broken as ...

Edited by Donee

Posted (edited)

I don't know why you guys think wiz/witch are squishy tbh.

On a horse you can't be CC'd and have superior mobility and thus ridiculously difficult to kill. I've yet to be killed when I'm doing mounted combat, even if ganked by 5 people at Sausan. If you're in a bad situation, charge -> drift -> instant accel will get you out faster than V and knock your enemies down while you're at it. Off a horse, with teleport, CC on every skill and mana shield I only ever die to ranger shotgun spam if I'm tired after grinding for too long and not paying attention to what's happening. To the guy saying Q is useless in PvP, it's really not. A maxed Q is essentially 30 seconds of invulnerability in a 1v1 or even 1v2 every 50 seconds, that's pretty broken. If you're very good you can abuse the fact that teleport is an iframe and Frigid Fog/Protect Area are super armors.

Mounted combat is kind of retarded tbh. Nobody can even touch you because you outrange rangers, can't be CC'd, run faster than anything and kite while spamming instant kill spells on them. If they don't have a gun to shoot you off, you basically won the fight. Make sure you have charge on your horse so you can knock them off their horse before they try to knock you off your horse with it.

I'm not going to make a verdict on whether witches are weak in PvP or not, but don't pretend you explode when someone decides to look at you, because that simply doesn't happen. 

Edit: Also don't pretend people can just CC lock you out of your skills forever. Multiple Magic Arrow is instant. Fireball -> Fireball Explosion is essentially instant and applies a bound into a knock down. Lightning Chain -> Storm (stiffen slow stagger) again, essentially instant. Sage's Memory makes you a machine gun for 15 seconds including Meteor or Ultimate Blizzard (highest damage skill in the game), and Speed Spell makes you 20% faster on casting and even moving. With Sage's Memory you can even just Lightning Chain stiffen lock 6 people for 15 seconds straight, and possibly even kill them.

Edited by Featherine
5 people like this

Posted

I don't know why you guys think wiz/witch are squishy tbh.

On a horse you can't be CC'd and have superior mobility and thus ridiculously difficult to kill. I've yet to be killed when I'm doing mounted combat, even if ganked by 5 people at Sausan. If you're in a bad situation, charge -> drift -> instant accel will get you out faster than V and knock your enemies down while you're at it. Off a horse, with teleport, CC on every skill and mana shield I only ever die to ranger shotgun spam if I'm tired after grinding for too long and not paying attention to what's happening. To the guy saying Q is useless in PvP, it's really not. A maxed Q is essentially 30 seconds of invulnerability in a 1v1 or even 1v2 every 50 seconds, that's pretty broken. If you're very good you can abuse the fact that teleport is an iframe and Frigid Fog/Protect Area are super armors.

Mounted combat is kind of retarded tbh. Nobody can even touch you because you outrange rangers, can't be CC'd, run faster than anything and kite while spamming instant kill spells on them. If they don't have a gun to shoot you off, you basically won the fight. Make sure you have charge on your horse so you can knock them off their horse before they try to knock you off your horse with it.

I'm not going to make a verdict on whether witches are weak in PvP or not, but don't pretend you explode when someone decides to look at you, because that simply doesn't happen. 

Edit: Also don't pretend people can just CC lock you out of your skills forever. Multiple Magic Arrow is instant. Fireball -> Fireball Explosion is essentially instant and applies a bound into a knock down. Lightning Chain -> Storm (stiffen slow stagger) again, essentially instant. Sage's Memory makes you a machine gun for 15 seconds including Meteor or Ultimate Blizzard (highest damage skill in the game), and Speed Spell makes you 20% faster on casting and even moving. With Sage's Memory you can even just Lightning Chain stiffen lock 6 people for 15 seconds straight, and possibly even kill them.

Exactly that!! I just don't agree on fireball > explosion being instant w/o sage's memory, unless is a ping issue on my end. Wiz are really strong and shouldn't get 1 shotted, unless your opponent outlevel or outgear you pretty heavily.

Posted

Witches and wizards are the best class in the game right now.

On a horse in solo and small gang you are nearly unkillable if you know what to watch for; A skilled wizard/witch can easily take on up to 10 people solo on a horse.

On a horse in large scale things when grouped up the alpha strike from your meteor can devastate a large number of enemies and really turn the tide of a fight. Defs a strong strategic asset for any force.

Off the horse you are by far the most important class in any group of people larger than 10. Wizards have large AOE damage, CC and healing. Chain lightning debuffs stack and multiple meteors do a lot of damage. Not to mention Area of protection. 

Also one shotting people once you hit 150ap is hilarious.

Posted (edited)

Exactly that!! I just don't agree on fireball > explosion being instant w/o sage's memory, unless is a ping issue on my end. Wiz are really strong and shouldn't get 1 shotted, unless your opponent outlevel or outgear you pretty heavily.

Don't channel fireball, release it immediately. The buff also lasts 6 seconds and you can proc explosion whenever you want, which has a cast time as short as multiple magic arrow.

You can even do something like:

1. Waste Fireball by instant casting it when enemy out of range.
  2. Lightning -> Residual for half their HP.
  3. Fireball Explosion. 

For ridiculous damage. Because Residual Lightning does not apply a buff to be cast within X time, you can chain Residual + either Explosion or Storm.

Edited by Featherine
2 people like this

Posted

Don't channel fireball, release it immediately. The buff also lasts 6 seconds and you can proc explosion whenever you want, which has a cast time as short as multiple magic arrow.

You can even do something like:

1. Waste Fireball by instant casting it when enemy out of range.
  2. Lightning -> Residual for half their HP.
  3. Fireball Explosion. 

For ridiculous damage. Because Residual Lightning does not apply a buff to be cast within X time, you can chain Residual + either Explosion or Storm.

I knew about the late cast on 2nd half of fireball/chain light, but didn't knew about that instant fireball. Now i'll have to get into game and test myself. Oh my ... :)
Yeah those kinda of combo are amazing. 

@Featherine I just tested the fireball thing and now i feel really dumb for not paying attention on the skill tooltip. xD

Posted

You can cast something BETWEEN fireball and fireball explosion?

Posted

You can cast something BETWEEN fireball and fireball explosion?

Between Lightning Chain and Lightning Storm as well.

Put Storm/Explosion on bar to use.

1 person likes this

Posted

Wizard is definitly not a squishy class. I would even say it's quite tanky if played well.

Lol none of the classes are squishy, wizard/witch just are the easiest to kill. Or do you have proof that other classes are easier to kill?

Posted

Lol none of the classes are squishy, wizard/witch just are the easiest to kill. Or do you have proof that other classes are easier to kill?

No need to prove anything, discussion was about beeing squishy or tanky. Not about beeing eazy or hard to focus/CC'd. That's two different things.