• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Why do people prefer Grunil?

24 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello guys,

first of all i have a request. Please keep this post non toxic (since almost every sorceress post i've seen are quite saulty and stuff).

I've been playing the game for a few days and i was wondering why do people prefer Grunil over Agerian.

Yes Grunil give ya 2 slots on each armor part but, Agerian already gives ya fixed stats for which you will have to spend money on crystals to get with Grunil. For example the cast speed and attack speed. Agerian provides you 3 without gems while Grunil doesnt.

Also the gems can be broke by death, aaand it's super expensive to upgrade, while Agerian is way cheaper.

I've seen some people going for 3 parts Agerian, Heve boots (for 2 sockets), and Liverto, and they manage to get 5 cast speed, 5 crit, 3-5 att speed (depends on preferance) and at least 4 speed.

All of the Agerian parts are like super cheap compared to Grunil.

What is it that makes people prefer Grunil for sorc? (Is it the 7 attack?)

Thanks for your answers in advance. 

1 person likes this

Posted

people tend to follow RU or KR version choices. 

Posted

7 ap is a lot.

Posted

That's all? I mean just the 7 ap?

Posted (edited)

That's all? I mean just the 7 ap?

Well, that and the fact that you can make up any loss of stats via food. And you can build 60% stun/70% KD resist using Grunils.

Scratch that, can also do that with agerians/duo slotted boots.

But yes, 7 ap. That's like.... I don't know, only a PRI witch/ mos?

Edited by Alexxy

Posted

Basically on top of being a little more flexible with gem slots instead of piece effects and upgradable to ultimate (Heve parts are not) you can think of it as getting a bonus Pri MoS (30-40m silver ring) that does not require a ring slot. It's pretty nice.

Posted

So you would actually recomment Grunil set over Agerian?

Posted

In a heartbeat

Posted

It's up in the air if you are either 1) extremely casual, because Agerian is significantly cheaper or 2) already at +15 in Agerian, because the difference between it and Grunil isn't significant enough to really warrant going the extra step when Agerian is probably enough to get boss armor.

But if you play fairly regularly and are starting from square one, Grunil is definitely the better set. The extra money invested pays off, and it will take a long time to get boss armor.

Posted

Thanks for the replies :)

Posted

if you have enough silver to get all the good gems ( which you should since making silver is crazy fast and easy now) then use grunil. If you cant afford the expensive gems use agerian. 

Imo gunil is alot better when gemmed correctly. 

Posted

Don't Make it yourself, put notices in for +15 gear and camp it. I blew a lot of money on getting 2 livetos up to 15, I only have Algerian blued  and simply didn't have the resources  to do that and grunil. I'm looking at switching to grunil if I can buy it outright. 

Posted (edited)

7 AP might not seem much at the beginning (<150 AP) but the higher your gear the higher the cost of acquiring extra AP. The AP/Silver ratio offers very harshly diminishing returns later on.

If you already 150-155 AP with DUO jewellery all around and an Agerian set, your options for an extra 7/8 AP are:
A) get 3/4 jewels to TRI
B) get Grunil

Method A is either extremely risky and/or extremely expensive. We are talking billions of silver for TRI MoS/Witch (if you could even find them in the AH) and if you go down the enchanting route there's a very realistic (highly probable, in fact) chance that you just lose it all.

Method B is extremely cheap in comparison, you can even safe enchant and repair rather cheaply. The cost is less than 10% of Method A.

Unless RNGesus has touched you in places and imparted in you some extra luck to drop the boss armor, then you should go for Grunil in the meantime. Agerian is a decent back-up set for going to World Bosses without crystals in your armor. But there is little demand for it in the AH, so every stone you put after +7 is wasted, unless you are using it to failstack and plan to use it afterwards. 

Edited by Maulkin

Posted (edited)

Grunil is more versatile when it comes to adding crystals.

How I gem with with full Grunil + Liverto + Jubre

x2 +100 HP gems in chest

x2 KD resist in boots

x2 +2 CS in helm

x1 +1 CS / +1 Atk Sp + x1 +2 Crit in gloves

x2 +AP in weapon

x1 +AP / +100 HP in off hand

Now my Agerian set just sits in my bank collecting dust.

Edited by Ixso
Viper in gloves
1 person likes this

Posted

I use 3 agerian with zereth boots, no problem in pvp or pve at all. I waned to switch to grunil but looking at the gains didnt seem like it was worth my time to +15 another set of armor, just preference for me but im a casual and dont have time to level another set maybe someday.
Id say the biggest reason to switch would be that your armor will work with any class if you play alts, this alone sounds awesome to me but for now ill hold off..

Posted

x2 +100 HP gems in chest

x2 KD resist in boots

x2 +2 CS in helm

x1 +1 Crit / +1 Atk Sp + x1 +2 Crit in gloves

x2 +AP in weapon

But tell me why....do you have 6 Crit? Liverto 3 + glove 3 doesnt make sense to me.

Posted

I posted this on reddit a few months ago because I was just as confused as you. I came to the conclusion that Grunil is only potentially better, and that potential relies entirely on your ability to not die while wearing super expensive crystals. If you do not use good crystals, or you get the stats you need from other gear, you do not have to get Grunil.

1 person likes this

Posted

I posted this on reddit a few months ago because I was just as confused as you. I came to the conclusion that Grunil is only potentially better, and that potential relies entirely on your ability to not die while wearing super expensive crystals. If you do not use good crystals, or you get the stats you need from other gear, you do not have to get Grunil.

Not really. What super expensive crystals?

First off, it relies on your ability to not die PvE deaths because the chance of crystals breaking from PK is very low compared to PvE deaths. Never had a crystal break form PK personally. It can happen but it's very rare unless you're a bandit ofc. 

Or it relies on you being able to afford the crystals and some back ups and not give a feck about any death. I mean the most expensive crystal in there is Cobe which is what 2-3mil?... and that is low chance to break. Most people I know have like 4-5 back up crystals for each type and they replenish these backups once per week depending on number of breakages. Writing the cost off as normal wear & tear as with your repairs etc.

It's no biggie these days. With the amount of money/expensive drops/exchange items that mobs in Mediah drop, everyone that grinds there should be able to easily afford these crystals. Grunil is undoubtedly superior to Agerian for Sorc when gemmed correctly and everyone who is higher than Lvl.50 whould be able to afford the money for those crystals.

Posted

But tell me why....do you have 6 Crit? Liverto 3 + glove 3 doesnt make sense to me.

Whoops, its a viper crystal +1 CS / + 1 AS.

Posted

I gem identical to Ixso except I run stam in boots not knockdown. Tested both and I'm loving the extra teleports. KD resist to me after dropping 3 mil into it for gems was lack luster at best imo.

Posted

I gem identical to Ixso except I run stam in boots not knockdown. Tested both and I'm loving the extra teleports. KD resist to me after dropping 3 mil into it for gems was lack luster at best imo.

I've been contemplating going with the extra stm, but I do notice a difference in KD's with the current gems I have.

Posted (edited)

Hello guys,

first of all i have a request. Please keep this post non toxic (since almost every sorceress post i've seen are quite saulty and stuff).

I've been playing the game for a few days and i was wondering why do people prefer Grunil over Agerian.

Yes Grunil give ya 2 slots on each armor part but, Agerian already gives ya fixed stats for which you will have to spend money on crystals to get with Grunil. For example the cast speed and attack speed. Agerian provides you 3 without gems while Grunil doesnt.

Also the gems can be broke by death, aaand it's super expensive to upgrade, while Agerian is way cheaper.

I've seen some people going for 3 parts Agerian, Heve boots (for 2 sockets), and Liverto, and they manage to get 5 cast speed, 5 crit, 3-5 att speed (depends on preferance) and at least 4 speed.

All of the Agerian parts are like super cheap compared to Grunil.

What is it that makes people prefer Grunil for sorc? (Is it the 7 attack?)

Thanks for your answers in advance. 

i'm going to not bother reading replys so sorry if someone already said this or similar - just lazy need sleep.

You are right agerian is still good, but only 3 pieces replace shoes with Talis +2 movement (cheap) Or Zereth +200 endurance & slightly better DP (costly) pretty much the same stats you would use gems for & no risk of loss if you die, +1 slot for the other gems you would use. Agerian gives you slight more DP, grunil gives you "hidden" AP which you dont notice AT ALL! (personally from experiance, others might have or at least placebo effect claim they have) + on Sorc with your 10-30+AP buff up all the time its not a great loss.

So its better if you started from release Or dont have much cash to go Agerian & stick with it, UNTIL you get a Kzarka weapon thats when your stats will need rebalancing & Grunil is the more ideal way to do it at that point.

Edited by prymortal

Posted

I've been contemplating going with the extra stm, but I do notice a difference in KD's with the current gems I have.

I tried all 3 gem setups, movement speed/KD resist/Stam and personally I like the stam more, or at least noticed the biggest difference. I may go back and throw in 2 RBF KD gems and re-test down the road, but I use stam to move so much it's I feel like I utilize it the most. Also the KD resist is just RNG, and while I'm figthing people and they never get knocked down I hardly ever noticed the resist kicking in for me, at least when it mattered.

Posted

x2 +100 HP gems in chest

x2 KD resist in boots

x2 +2 CS in helm

x1 +1 CS / +1 Atk Sp + x1 +2 Crit in gloves

x2 +AP in weapon

The only difference with your build vs my 3 agerian 1 grunil is that you have around 100 more hp, and 15% less KD resist. Also, 7 ap for a loss of some DP. Considering the other thread about the nerfs have people saying that 10 ap is nothing at higher levels, I'd have to say the differences are pretty minor. 

Personally, i'm sticking with Agerian till boss armor since I solo grind hard mobs at night too often to warrant losing millions in gems. Guess i'm not good enough yet.