• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

The thing that bothers me the most in this game...

75 posts in this topic

Posted

Why the hell are classes locked into certain genders?  You have an awesome customization tool for character creation, but can't have a male ranger or a female warrior, etc?

Why.... WHYYYYYY

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

animations take serious amount of dev time. Men/Women move differently even when same class, and they are not generic movements like other mmos.

Edited by Mynban
9 people like this

Posted

if they just copy and pasted classes, we wouldn't have things like valk. Go on, tell me what a male valk is like :)

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Why the hell are classes locked into certain genders?  You have an awesome customization tool for character creation, but can't have a male ranger or a female warrior, etc?

Why.... WHYYYYYY

We'll be getting a male ranger eventually, don't you worry!  As for Female Warrior, some count the Valkyrie as her -- though I personally advocate for a female non-magical warrior and a male paladin-type class or w/e.

The reason this is, is because in Korean (and the Eastern gaming market in general) it honestly isn't that uncommon to gender-lock things.  In fact, in many RPGs from that market, you played as preset characters.  Meanwhile, the Western gaming market focused a lot on developing character creation and being able to take completely unique paths in said games.

Because of the gaming culture differences, BDO was built for that market.  Meanwhile, in the West we expect full control of most things, including the gender of our characters.  After learning how people here (and even some in Korea, I'm sure!) disapproved, however, especially now that the gaming scene over there is changing in this regard, they started developing counterpart classes that take the same general concept and make a male/female version.  Sometimes they put lore behind it, which is neat, like how Plum is more of a field assassin (IE she hits one target and hits them HARD) whereas Musa is more of a general warrior.  The differences are subtle, but there, and that's what I enjoy.

The only ones that really bug me are Valk/Warrior, the lack of a male Sorceress counterpart, and the lack of a male Ranger counterpart.  At least we know the male Ranger is coming!  Tamer I couldn't care less in all honesty, something about her doesn't really make me care if she gets a counterpart, and Berserker I just feel isn't likely to happen because of the "Oh no big girls!" reaction.

animations take serious amount of dev time. Men/Women move differently even when same class, and they are not generic movements like other mmos.

Balancing new classes stats/skills/etc. also takes serious amounts of dev time, though.  The visuals for the skills, the new animations (and more importantly their timing lining up with the skills), the new weapon types, the unique effects.  They're just trading one thing for another. :/  Dev time isn't the reason, it's just design decision.

if they just copy and pasted classes, we wouldn't have things like valk. Go on, tell me what a male valk is like :)

A paladin/cleric/generic holy warrior aligned with the church.  Personally I'm fine with them not copy-pasting the classes, but it'd be nice to get male/female characters to align with the same concept.  Valk and Warrior are sword-and-board, but they also vary a lot -- too much for my taste, especially thematically.  It's like saying "I want to listen to rock." and being handed Christian Rock and Heavy Metal.  Like yeah, they're both Rock, but they're so different too that there isn't much crossover appeal.  Whereas with Plum/Blader, for instance, they're thematically the same.

Edited by Maevynn
3 people like this

Posted

Because each gender has a very specific skill set to that character.

There is no copy paste version.

Only the wizard and witch have the exact same movesets.

The rest are completely different at late game.

Posted

Why.... WHYYYYYY

Each class has a male female counterpart

warrior - valk

wizard - witch

blader - plum

ninja - kunoichi

ranger, tamer, berserker, sorceress all currently don't have their counterparts but we might see them after all the awakening weapons are done with. (so not for a long time)

1 person likes this

Posted

Ive never understood why people have hissy fits over this.

1 person likes this

Posted

devs didnt tailor the game exactly to my tastes. i will whine to the internets.

3 people like this

Posted

Well, I enjoy classes being a bit different.

As long there is some thought behind them and they have interesting skills.

Posted

Because each gender has a very specific skill set to that character.

There is no copy paste version.

Only the wizard and witch have the exact same movesets.

The rest are completely different at late game.

And PA has said that Witch and Wizard are going to differentiate after 56. It doesn't seem that PA wants exact copies

Posted

Berzerker-ress ? B|

Posted

And PA has said that Witch and Wizard are going to differentiate after 56. It doesn't seem that PA wants exact copies

Eh? O.o when they said that? can I have source plz?

Posted

Eh? O.o when they said that? can I have source plz?

It's been floating around on the Korean boards so I have no direct source. It makes sense though because all the other classes are not exact copies and 56 is when classes get their awakenings, thus a good place to differentiate them.

Posted (edited)

I actually prefer to choose every aspect of my character. I don´t even like any class based system.

But i can also live with classes. Gender-lock. Annoying but nothing too strange. I like boobs. Even the virtual ones ;)

For the rest that is asking for a male version of the Valkyrie - Do you have the slightest idea what a Valkyrie is? There are no male Valkyries.

Edited by Traythor

Posted

Because many people care both about role they play and gender of their character... I have a friend that always play archers in games, but he dislike playing a woman character. So he won't play this game because of that.

I do not care that much, but I always take male characters over female ones...

So there are many people that would love to play this game, but won't simply because role/gender of character they want to play is not available. Imho gender locked characters add nothing positive to the game while they retract from the fun for some people... Basically only thing it brings is cutting down on work that is needed on animations and clothes.

In my opinion, things like that should not be in games.

For the rest that is asking for a male version of the Valkyrie - Do you have the slightest idea what a Valkyrie is? There are no male Valkyries.

It is basically paladin... Yeah, you can't have male Valkyrie, but you can make a new class, that would be exactly the same, just called Paladin.

Posted

Because many people care both about role they play and gender of their character... I have a friend that always play archers in games, but he dislike playing a woman character. So he won't play this game because of that.

I do not care that much, but I always take male characters over female ones...

So there are many people that would love to play this game, but won't simply because role/gender of character they want to play is not available. Imho gender locked characters add nothing positive to the game while they retract from the fun for some people... Basically only thing it brings is cutting down on work that is needed on animations and clothes.

In my opinion, things like that should not be in games.

But you still gave no reason other than 'because I don't like it'. 

I would much rather have gender locked classes and various other areas of the game expanded upon, than spending LOTS of development time and money just so people can play both genders. Id prefer a couple new dungeons, expanded crafting system, new areas or a large skill set over an non gender locked any day. It seems like a massive waste of money to me. 

Posted

It is basically paladin... Yeah, you can't have male Valkyrie, but you can make a new class, that would be exactly the same, just called Paladin.

So you indeed have no clue what a Valkyrie is.

Basic info, as it goes with wikis

It could go the same as Wizard though. A witch isn´t the same as a female wizard or a female wizard is not a witch.

Yes yes - she´s a Paladin in her BDO makeup. So there´s actually no reason to call her a Valkyrie. Then again it´s a perfect fit to make a male counterpart and put them together like Wizard/Witch and name him Paladin.

Posted

Muscular man with metallic borat-thongs?

Posted

But you still gave no reason other than 'because I don't like it'. 

I would much rather have gender locked classes and various other areas of the game expanded upon, than spending LOTS of development time and money just so people can play both genders. Id prefer a couple new dungeons, expanded crafting system, new areas or a large skill set over an non gender locked any day. It seems like a massive waste of money to me. 

Why there must be other reason?

Different people have different preferences... I do not care that much about character and I can play with anything, but for some people playing character that they do not want to play breaks their enjoyment so much, that they rather not play at all.

Question was, why are people upset about it... most of the time, things like that are subjective.

It could go the same as Wizard though. A witch isn´t the same as a female wizard or a female wizard is not a witch.

Yes yes - she´s a Paladin in her BDO makeup. So there´s actually no reason to call her a Valkyrie. Then again it´s a perfect fit to make a male counterpart and put them together like Wizard/Witch and name him Paladin.

I know what Valkyrie is... just in BDO that class is basically a paladin. There is not reason to argue about what Valkyrie is in norse mythology, because that is not what it is in BDO. They needed cool name and so they called her Valkyrie... but now they can't use that name for male character. That brings Paladin.

1 person likes this

Posted

Why there must be other reason?

Different people have different preferences... I do not care that much about character and I can play with anything, but for some people playing character that they do not want to play breaks their enjoyment so much, that they rather not play at all.

Question was, why are people upset about it... most of the time, things like that are subjective.

Right, but thats what I'm saying. The fact that there IS no reason just makes no sense.

'Because I can't play the gender I want, I won't play.' But yet if theres no additional content or much less because they were FORCED to go back and create the same classes with different genders, which cost a fair amount of money to get animations and what not, sounds ridiculously stupid and counter productive. Yes its everyones opinion, but when people would rather have less explorable content over just being able to play another gender, thats just doesn't sound right. 

Posted

Right, but thats what I'm saying. The fact that there IS no reason just makes no sense.

'Because I can't play the gender I want, I won't play.' But yet if theres no additional content or much less because they were FORCED to go back and create the same classes with different genders, which cost a fair amount of money to get animations and what not, sounds ridiculously stupid and counter productive. Yes its everyones opinion, but when people would rather have less explorable content over just being able to play another gender, thats just doesn't sound right. 

Because for some it is not choice of Play different role or more content... it is choice Enjoy the game or more content. If the are not enjoying the game in the first place, then more content won't really help them that much.

You could take this argument to the extreme and ask, why even do more than one class with one gender in the first place? Everyone should be happy with one class with one gender in open world MMO. Or why even have character creation...

RPG games pretty much revolve about making your own character... And gender locked classes impede on freedom you have when creating character. Which means that you will have people not liking it.

1 person likes this

Posted

There is not reason to argue about what Valkyrie is in norse mythology, because that is not what it is in BDO. They needed cool name and so they called her Valkyrie... but now they can't use that name for male character. That brings Paladin.

I basically said that ;)

Posted

Why.... WHYYYYYY

Yeah this is my biggest problem with the game, everything else can be fixed over time.. I feel like with gender locked classes the damage  is already done to a certain % of players, who simply just wont touch it. That's not a successful business move. We all know they plan to add counter parts.. Lets loook at warrior/ valk.. please don't insult my intelligence, this is not the same class at all.. :S   There are 100 threads already made about this topic.   BTW..¬¬

Posted

An idea I've personally been tossing around in my head for a while is to call him "Einherjar", and say the lore behind it is that Valkyries fight criminals/outlaws, imprison them, and they take the ones who show potential and dedicate them to service to the church of Elion to atone for their sins (or else its a life in jail, execution, etc.).  The male Valk could be a criminal-turned-hero class, and could explain why we never really see any around if they're fairly rare but not unheard of.

2 people like this

Posted

An idea I've personally been tossing around in my head for a while is to call him "Einherjar", and say the lore behind it is that Valkyries fight criminals/outlaws, imprison them, and they take the ones who show potential and dedicate them to service to the church of Elion to atone for their sins (or else its a life in jail, execution, etc.).  The male Valk could be a criminal-turned-hero class, and could explain why we never really see any around if they're fairly rare but not unheard of.

<3    Paladin or Einherjar, fine with me. Glad to see were still on the same page. :D