• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

Rethinking the Dye System?

During CBT1 the Dye System Was   165 votes

1. 1. During CBT1 the Dye System Was

• Enjoyable. Don't Change it.
    • Awful. I don't like opening boxes of dye for random colors. I have ideas on how it should change. (Post)
    • Average and I have ideas on how to improve it. (Post)
    • I didn't participate in CBT1
  2. 2. It would be more enjoyable if

• It stays as it is now
    • Dyes are permanent unlocks
    • Dyes are not randomized
    • Dye prices suit the fact that it's RNG
    • Dye was added to the Mileage Shop.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

40 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey guys. Seeing a lot of posts that talk randomly about the Dye System and how it works. Wanna gather everything into 1 thread. Let's put some suggestions together! ♥

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Permanent unlock that cost a small amount of pearls to reuse.

If its going to be RNG on dyes I'll stick to the default colors most likely I'm not keen on gambling with real life money especially if its just cosmetically in a game.

Edited by Jumanji
5 people like this

Posted

Wish the dyes weren't random.

1 person likes this

Posted

This sounds super interesting!

Posted

Are there any 'colour' sided dyes? Like dark tint or light colours? Sandy colours? Things like that, or is it completely random?

- Jeasy

Posted

Are there any 'colour' sided dyes? Like dark tint or light colours? Sandy colours? Things like that, or is it completely random?

- Jeasy

569ff0e6dad77_2016-01-20_519328910-596_-569ff0e934bfd_2016-01-20_519336643-596_-569ff0eba0502_2016-01-20_519341077-596_-

Posted

Permanent unlocks please

With the amount of dyes there actually are, I don't think it will be possible to make them not randomized? The dye tab in the shop would be super cluttered...

100% random dye boxes should be a bit cheaper than hue specific dye boxes.

Daum plis, I love you, plis make dyes at least permanent unlocks~ <3

1 person likes this

Posted

Permanent unlocks would be nice since we are paying for them

Posted

If the dye system stays the way it currently is, I'll just opt out for spending money on dyes. However, as many other people have suggested, if I purchase a random dye pack and the colors I receive are completely random but permanent and there is no chance of receiving repeat colors, then I'm more likely to buy dyes. Meaning, after I spend enough money on dyes, I'll eventually have collected all of the dyes that are available, and I'm sure they will come out with more colors over time.

Or, I'd rather have the "shopping cart" dye system as it was suggested. Meaning, I go into the dye system and pick what colors I want on the gear and have to pay a certain amount based on the color I choose and how many dyes I'll be using.

Otherwise, I'm happy with the default colors, and I'll just use the money I would have spent on dyes to upgrade my video card :ph34r:

3 people like this

Posted

If its going to be RNG on dyes I'll stick to the default colors most likely I'm not keen on gambling with real life money especially if its just cosmetically in a game.

this could work, since its all about the money -.- dyes stays random, we get them forever, but we have to pay to reuse them

+1

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

this could work, since its all about the money -.- dyes stays random, we get them forever, but we have to pay to reuse them

This is Pretty clever.

Maybe everyone wins this way? 

There are just soooooo many dyes, which is great... but not if you are trying for a specific one.

My Ideas:

Dye Ticket

A one time use ticket that lets you recolor all parts of one piece of armor any way you like. You use it, it takes you to the dye menu and you try on color after color on any part and once it is how you want you click "DYE" and your armor is now the color you actually want, the ticket disappears and Daum still gets money in their pockets every time we decide to change outfit colors.

Cause lets face it, not only is the random dye system gong to make it nearly impossible to get the exact color you want, it also makes it even harder to get an entire matching set of coordinating dyes! Lets not forget BDO lets you dye many parts of one garment.

Dye Subscription

Another option could be a Dye Subscription that lasts a week or a month for a larger fee. And during that time you can dye anything as much as you want! You could wear a  black outfit one day and neon glowing pink the next lol.

pallets_of_merv.thumb.png.315186c7d7b470

I know this is similar to Korean version's Pallets of Merv Subscription, but the problem with that (from what i have heard I have not played Korean version so can't say for sure) anything you dye while under the subscription goes back to default color once your subscription ends! D; 

I would still do it if its not TOO expensive.

Can anyone clarify how exactly the Pallet's of Merv work? I know this thread touched on it a bit. http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/7780-question-about-dye-boxes/&page=1 

Equipable Dye Sets

What if dyes could be combined into sets that can be equipped and kept in your inventory? If anyone has played Destiny you will know exactly what I am talking about, only my idea is we actually can choose and create these equipable dye sets. Lets say you want a Purple set, you make the Main color Purple, alt colors black and the highlight colors white, then anytime you equip that dye set it colors that armor with those colors. So the shirt is purple, the coat is Black and the gloves and belts are white (that sounds atrocious yikes lol) I doubt this is feasible this late in game development, but I am just throwing it out there lol.

Edited by Z.chu

Posted

If the dye system stays the way it currently is, I'll just opt out for spending money on dyes. However, as many other people have suggested, if I purchase a random dye pack and the colors I receive are completely random but permanent and there is no chance of receiving repeat colors, then I'm more likely to buy dyes. Meaning, after I spend enough money on dyes, I'll eventually have collected all of the dyes that are available, and I'm sure they will come out with more colors over time.

Perfect.

Dye Subscription

Another option could be a Dye Subscription that lasts a week or a month for a larger fee. And during that time you can dye anything as much as you want! You could wear a  black outfit one day and neon glowing pink the next lol.

pallets_of_merv.thumb.png.315186c7d7b470

This would work as well. Just make it stay after the sub expires.

Posted

Perfect.

This would work as well. Just make it stay after the sub expires.

That and not force us to use bleach before adding a new color to clothing. Bleach should only be if we want to go back to the armors default colors -_-

anyone know how much those are on Korean Server? 200 pearls is around $20 right? Let us pray NA has cheaper prices... cause that is outrageous, just like the $70 outfits :/

Posted

I think it would be better if they:

Raised the Price of Dyes
Kept the RNG
Made it permanent.

Dyes can still: Be mixed for a chance of a color you haven't unlocked if you get a duplicate.
Meaning you can buy more dyes to continue the RNG route.

It sounds very win-win to me.

Dye ticket would take the RNG out of it meaning they make less money unless the ticket lasts a set amount of time.

To the front page we go~! :3

2 people like this

Posted

Up!

Posted

I think dues need to be more accessible in game if they are not permanent unlocks. and i also mean with in game currency, not real life money. They can be boguth with real money too thats fine, just better not be the only way they are bought.

Posted

I think dues need to be more accessible in game if they are not permanent unlocks. and i also mean with in game currency, not real life money. They can be boguth with real money too thats fine, just better not be the only way they are bought.

Be fun if they were crafted. Just a random thought.

Got yoinked of that experience before AA went live. :(

Posted

Be fun if they were crafted. Just a random thought.
Got yoinked of that experience before AA went live. :(

yes crafted dyes would be super nice, and give people another reason to go into crafting

Posted

I'd prefer it if you used mileage to reuse dyes, and have common colors on mileage shop as well.

1 person likes this

Posted

Permenant unlocks doesn't really suit the immersion that Black Desert has been going for.

Posted

Permenant unlocks doesn't really suit the immersion that Black Desert has been going for.

How will not having to gamble with your money break immersion?

1 person likes this

Posted

How will not having to gamble with your money break immersion?

It won't, but that also isn't what I said. It is very strange that you asked a question completely unrelated to the statement I made. I hope you're not trying to make a disingenuous argument here.

It is somehow having infinite dye that breaks immersion. Having limited dye items that you have to mix and match is significantly more immersive than the very game-y feeling 'unlock' system proposed by others in this thread.

Posted

It won't, but that also isn't what I said. It is very strange that you asked a question completely unrelated to the statement I made. I hope you're not trying to make a disingenuous argument here.

It is somehow having infinite dye that breaks immersion. Having limited dye items that you have to mix and match is significantly more immersive than the very game-y feeling 'unlock' system proposed by others in this thread.

"Permenant unlocks doesn't really suit the immersion that Black Desert has been going for."

Judging by another post you made where you stated you haven't played the game yet, I'm going to assume you don't understand my response. So I'll take a moment to explain the current dye system as quickly as possible.

There is a ridiculous amount of dyes, and obtaining them is 100% RNG and at the moment they are single use only. And with the crazy number of dyes, there are different effects each set of dyes has, such as metallic, matte, ect.. On top of that, armor pieces have more than one dyeable part, some having five or more. 

For every box you buy, you get one dye. With well over 100 different dyes, you can see how getting the dye you want is incredibly hard and incredibly costly unless RNGesus smiles upon you. So if you want to have a theme for your armor (eg, white and blue metallic), be prepared to throw a ludicrous amount of money at dye boxes. KR has eased it a little by allowing you to buy dye boxes that fit a certain hue range (see Catherine's post), but you're still gambling with effects and shades.

It's not about immersion, it's about the fact that you are gambling your money away just trying to get a dye that is in the color/effect range you want.

Posted

"Permenant unlocks doesn't really suit the immersion that Black Desert has been going for."

Judging by another post you made where you stated you haven't played the game yet, I'm going to assume you don't understand my response. So I'll take a moment to explain the current dye system as quickly as possible.

There is a ridiculous amount of dyes, and obtaining them is 100% RNG and at the moment they are single use only. And with the crazy number of dyes, there are different effects each set of dyes has, such as metallic, matte, ect.. On top of that, armor pieces have more than one dyeable part, some having five or more. 

For every box you buy, you get one dye. With well over 100 different dyes, you can see how getting the dye you want is incredibly hard and incredibly costly unless RNGesus smiles upon you. So if you want to have a theme for your armor (eg, white and blue metallic), be prepared to throw a ludicrous amount of money at dye boxes. KR has eased it a little by allowing you to buy dye boxes that fit a certain hue range (see Catherine's post), but you're still gambling with effects and shades.

It's not about immersion, it's about the fact that you are gambling your money away just trying to get a dye that is in the color/effect range you want.

I understand very well how the dye system works. My only point is that making them permenant unlocks breaks immersion. Attacking my point by saying that gambling sucks is a complete and utter non-sequitur, because I've said nothing about gambling either way. How does "Don't make them permenant unlocks" relate in any way to anything you've said in this post I've quoted? If you can honestly not understand this I do no know where to progress from here.

There are many many changes you can make to how you acquire dyes that do not involve making them permenant unlocks. A single example, of essentially infinite fixes that might be possible: make each hue/shade/gloss craftable through specific materials that need to be found in the world, thereby making them farmable or at least possible to work towards in case of rarer dyes. Hell, this example helps immersion even more since you should, realistically, be able to craft your own dyes. Search out appropriate plants/materiels to grind into binders and make a dye. But fixing the economics of dyeing has nothing to do with making them immersion breaking game-y unlocks.

If you actually have something to say against dyes being consumable rather than game-y infinite unlocks that has to do with immersion, and not gambling money, then I'd love to hear it. But if you're going to continue to talk about a completely unrelated topic, then there is really no point in continuing.

Posted

I understand very well how the dye system works. My only point is that making them permenant unlocks breaks immersion. Attacking my point by saying that gambling sucks is a complete and utter non-sequitur, because I've said nothing about gambling either way. How does "Don't make them permenant unlocks" relate in any way to anything you've said in this post I've quoted? If you can honestly not understand this I do no know where to progress from here.

There are many many changes you can make to how you acquire dyes that do not involve making them permenant unlocks. A single example, of essentially infinite fixes that might be possible: make each hue/shade/gloss craftable through specific materials that need to be found in the world, thereby making them farmable or at least possible to work towards in case of rarer dyes. Hell, this example helps immersion even more since you should, realistically, be able to craft your own dyes. Search out appropriate plants/materiels to grind into binders and make a dye. But fixing the economics of dyeing has nothing to do with making them immersion breaking game-y unlocks.

If you actually have something to say against dyes being consumable rather than game-y infinite unlocks that has to do with immersion, and not gambling money, then I'd love to hear it. But if you're going to continue to talk about a completely unrelated topic, then there is really no point in continuing.

I agree mMaking them craftable would be the best solution for the players, but it's pretty obvious as to why they wouldn't want to do that (source of ongoing income).  To say it breaks immersion to make them permanently unlockable is a bit weird, I mean it may be true for you, but for a vast majority of players it won't and the current system is awful.