• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

What is a Mega Server?

30 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Mega Server - The whole game consist of 1 server that has many many channel

It seems to me that most people don't understand what a Mega Server is.  They think it's only 1 huge server.  It's true that is 1 huge server but there is many many channels within that one server so people can channel hop easily.

My poll thread I created yesterday got lock but its bugs me that some argument is this.

"yes i want it, maby i have missunderstand you, my english is not the best sry :)

i just hope DAUM finde a good option for our server (MEGASERVER!!!) that the ppl cant channel-hopp and run away from fights ;)" -Xerpheus

What he wants is a mega server but his reason contradicts his want.  He think it's just 1 huge server with no channel and no one can hop channel to run away from fights.

Edited by Arrogance
2 people like this

Posted

I'm sorry. but i will need a translator for this.

Not trying to be mean. but it's pretty confusing xD

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Its not hard to run to a town or safe zone if you're attacked, unless the griefer is so heavily geared than he can down you in less than 5 seconds then ur fcked.

Edit: Unless what ur saying is some guy thinks that it's just 1 big channel and everyone in the game is in it.

Edit2: You can't channel hop if your being attacked.

Edited by Kirihito

Posted

I would like a megaserver with channels. You pick a home channel and you can be a guest on 1 different server once a day. So people canot switch channels like crazy but still can play with a friend.

You can change your home channel once for free and later pay for it.

Guilds will then stick to one channel.

No need to have tons of servers and decide how many channels each should have.

Posted

Its not hard to run to a town or safe zone if you're attacked, unless the griefer is so heavily geared than he can down you in less than 5 seconds then ur fcked.

Edit: Unless what ur saying is some guy thinks that it's just 1 big channel and everyone in the game is in it.

i think he things that the other person wants a mega server so people can't hop. while that other person was actually just using sarcasm. but i am not sure tho..

very confusing

Posted

As long as they find a solution to channel hopping to avoid pvp and during wars, there's not really another major con to a megaserver if it has a relative low number of channels(Lack of community is one I hear and I disregard it since that community is ruined by server merges anyways).  A bigger community can still be formed; just takes more time to get to know everybody.  

Posted

I would like a megaserver with channels. You pick a home channel and you can be a guest on 1 different server once a day. So people canot switch channels like crazy but still can play with a friend.

Basically guild wars 2 worlds system. not HORRIBLE. but they would need to limit the guest things pretty severely. otherwise the same problem persists.

Posted

Basically guild wars 2 worlds system. not HORRIBLE. but they would need to limit the guest things pretty severely. otherwise the same problem persists.

yeah pretty much hahaa I didnt realize I forgot about gw2s mega servers.

Posted

A megaserver is a megaserver... it's simply just 1 server.. that's all a megaserver is. Having channels is optional but because most games arent made to have 100.000 players in 1 server they add channels.. Most of the time they add too many and split the community apart.
Megaservers can easily work! they just have to control the amount of channels!
Also megaservers makes it a bit harder for siege wars because there are simply too many guilds and only 1% (or way less) will ever get a castle to own. Same with farming spots.. they will be really crowded.

On the other side... the servers are insanely alive, marketplace will ALWAYS be full of everything and PvP is guaranteed to be happening every single moment of the day. (PK and Non-PK pvp)

Posted

i think he things that the other person wants a mega server so people can't hop. while that other person was actually just using sarcasm. but i am not sure tho..

very confusing

The person who I quoted from is dead serious.  Go look at my poll thread.  Read all his post.  He doesn't understand what he wants.

Posted

I personally don’t like Mega servers because top guilds won’t fight each other for land if they think the other is stronger, they will just keep switching channels till they find a guild they can beat.

1 person likes this

Posted

I personally don’t like Mega servers because top guilds won’t fight each other for land if they think the other is stronger, they will just keep switching channels till they find a guild they can beat.

I agree Mr. Hokage-Sensei.

Posted

Mega Server - The whole game consist of 1 server that has many many channel

It seems to me that most people don't understand what a Mega Server is.  They think it's only 1 huge server.  It's true that is 1 huge server but there is many many channels within that one server so people can channel hop easily.

My poll thread I created yesterday got lock but its bugs me that some argument is this.

"yes i want it, maby i have missunderstand you, my english is not the best sry :)

i just hope DAUM finde a good option for our server (MEGASERVER!!!) that the ppl cant channel-hopp and run away from fights ;)" -Xerpheus

What he wants is a mega server but his reason contradicts his want.  He think it's just 1 huge server with no channel and no one can hop channel to run away from fights.

im so glad you put this up, i was also thinking of how many people think a mega server is just one huge server..they think there will be more people but in reality they are hoping for an instanced game where you wont find anyone because of all the channels

A megaserver is a megaserver... it's simply just 1 server.. that's all a megaserver is. Having channels is optional but because most games arent made to have 100.000 players in 1 server they add channels.. Most of the time they add too many and split the community apart.
Megaservers can easily work! they just have to control the amount of channels!
Also megaservers makes it a bit harder for siege wars because there are simply too many guilds and only 1% (or way less) will ever get a castle to own. Same with farming spots.. they will be really crowded.

On the other side... the servers are insanely alive, marketplace will ALWAYS be full of everything and PvP is guaranteed to be happening every single moment of the day. (PK and Non-PK pvp)

i disagree servers will be dead..pvp will be dead.. this already happend in korea and is why russia didnt go this route.

Posted

im so glad you put this up, i was also thinking of how many people think a mega server is just one huge server..they think there will be more people but in reality they are hoping for an instanced game where you wont find anyone because of all the channels

i disagree servers will be dead..pvp will be dead.. this already happend in korea and is why russia didnt go this route.

korea had more than 1 server for the servers to die :) it wasnt JUST because of megaservers ^^
for example. people couldnt pvp because 1 kill was -200.000 karma points.. losing enchantment stones, breaking items, ect ect ect. 
so PvP'ers left since they were punished hardcore for pvp.

Posted

ill agree with you on most of that.

but if you go out and try to find pvp and no where to be found and you end up channel hoping.. it suxs..

it really hurts the sandbox vision of the game ..instead of trying to work around a problem you just switch channels.

1 person likes this

Posted

ill agree with you on most of that.

but if you go out and try to find pvp and no where to be found and you end up channel hoping.. it suxs..

it really hurts the sandbox vision of the game ..instead of trying to work around a problem you just switch channels.

Thats why I said they need to control the amount of channels... 24 is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much. Just saying that if things are done right Megaservers CAN work :P 

Posted

Thats why I said they need to control the amount of channels... 24 is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much. Just saying that if things are done right Megaservers CAN work :P 

24 is not too much.  7 servers with 3 channels each sounds better than 24 channel 1 server.  KR currently have 25 servers for their mega servers.  If you try to do mega-server with 5 channel at launch.  I guarantee even the PVE'er will complain because there are no mobs to kill.  People will be stuck at imp for a hour. Look at CBT1, people were having problems and that was a small scale mega server.  Imps had to be manually  spawn.

Posted

24 is not too much.  7 servers with 3 channels each sounds better than 24 channel 1 server.  KR currently have 25 servers for their mega servers.  If you try to do mega-server with 5 channel at launch.  I guarantee even the PVE'er will complain because there are no mobs to kill.  People will be stuck at imp for a hour. Look at CBT1, people were having problems and that was a small scale mega server.  Imps had to be manually  spawn.

Those damn Imps...Took forever to kill enough for the quest

giphy.gif

Posted (edited)

This is exactly what multiple server is. Except add in all the horrendous lag from what you want. The purpose of multiple servers is to have no channels.

Edited by DontTouchMyHoHos

Posted (edited)

i don't personally agree with the mega server with channels set up, its bad for a game like bdo tbh, a better set up would be 4 or 5 servers with different focuses on each, like per say 2 pve focused servers, 2 hardcore pvp oriented and an rp server. using experiences from a lot of other mmos i just dont agree with it especially after playing archeage where there is no channels, the entire world is open and it feels a lot better to play with then having channels where people are just hopping because they don't want to deal with other people, the channel setup just leads to inevitable abuse and just separates people to the point of ruining immersion and the way systems are interacted with at face value, in appearance, it sounds better, but in reality its not.

While it CAN work, i just don't think it fits the game. save that kinda thing for a game like tera imo. Also having channels would just undermine the siege system since where u are in the world and what ur doing is important, i cant see any version of the system (i have thought through a lot of the options like putting cool downs on it or enforcing a certain channel during siege time) that can be implemented without interfering with something else, like mob farm spots for example, high level mob areas should be something that's contested for, not u just switch a channel and only have to deal with 1 other person in the entire area because there's 8 other channels and nobody goes to that one. besides all that, it also makes the game feel hollow, like nobody is playing simply because u are not gonna interact with that many people in that kind of set up, even solo players subconsciously don't want to be entirely alone 24/7 and the channel set up would just lead to exactly that when the game starts to teeter off from the initial rush zerg a couple months in and if it has that kinda effect on solo players, the people who enjoy the group community will definitely feel that slight decline that is still to this day the issue with tera and its channel system, if ur not in the main channel and certain areas, u will never see a single person in the world even just looking around.

Edited by 2TheGrave

Posted

Yes, instanced mega servers will kill the game for me.. i want a world that i need to use my head to figure things out not just switch channels

Posted

Mega server is something that promotes channel hopping to avoid gvg and pvp, now gvg and pvp is 90% of what this game is about so naturally it would have a huge negative impact on bdo. (Mega server > 100 channels) 

Posted

People are putting too much emphasis on the idea of channel hopping. Allowing free movement between channels at the player's will is an option for megaservers, but it is not the only option. The game could automatically switch players to a different channel only when an area is too populated eliminating the player's ability to run from their problems via channel hopping.

Posted

People are putting too much emphasis on the idea of channel hopping. Allowing free movement between channels at the player's will is an option for megaservers, but it is not the only option. The game could automatically switch players to a different channel only when an area is too populated eliminating the player's ability to run from their problems via channel hopping.

still sucky.

If you are on my server i want to see you and feel the effects of whatever you might of done (seige etc etc)

channels will ruin this.

Posted

They should go for separated servers. To be part of thins kind of smaller community feels amazing and it promotes PvP.