• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

BDO: A Responsible *Competitive* Gamer's Nightmare

186 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Let me just hijack this thread with a phrase

"Balnce is the key to enjoyment" and "too much of anything is bad for you"

You sound like you need help for an addictive personality. There are no clear goals in BDO you need to set up goals for yourself to get to but sorry to see you lost sight of what's important due to this game. I suggest games like halo,crow fall(when it comes out), or over watch if you want PvP Focused games I like to play them when I am not playing BDO.

Edited by Fire of
9 people like this

Posted

I agree that this game accentuates what is true in many mmos, that time = power, and the more time you spend the better you will be compared to everyone else.  But this can all be balanced by playing with friends or a solid guild.  Unless you run into a guild full of no lifers who can actually play and thats a small small minority.  I find myself logging in far too much, even now from work, but I do that with any mmo' that hooks me.

If you cap it out like GW2 etc people quit because they are bored, theres no progression, so its a balance.  Maybe they made it so the differences are too great or maybe you are too competitive/too ocd for your own good.

2 people like this

Posted

You sound like you need help for an addictive personality 

^^

Posted

Man, I keep telling people that they're playing this game all wrong.

BDO is about the LONG game. Working for months and months until you plateau and then trying to compete.

Most people can't be at the front of the pack. Jobless individuals with nothing but free time will always be on top.

You just have to grind and get there eventually. Even in a year, very few people will have TET+ accessories or +20 Full Boss armor. The competitive level will be 59/60.

At that point you'll have a certain equilibrium. Which is what I assume PA wanted.

Also Red Battlefield is terrible. Why would you base your PvP experience off of that and not wait for Node wars/sieges? x.x RIP your chars.

19 people like this

Posted

If you cap it out like GW2 etc people quit because they are bored, theres no progression, so its a balance.  Maybe they made it so the differences are too great or maybe you are too competitive/too ocd for your own good.

People quit GW2 cause ANet killed GvG and PvP with shitty balances. It was very good MMO, and people that enjoyed just to PvP be it in a group or 1v1 were playing it. I bet there are many left but GvG scene died long time ago sadly. One more game/part of the game that died bacause of shitty developers.

3 people like this

Posted

It is too bad the game didn't work out for you and it created frustration more than anything else.  Hope you find something you like in the future.

3 people like this

Posted

Competitiveness is a mirage every single moron is pursuing... Even if you're at the top, what then ? People still won't care about you, except the other morons previously quoted. Just do what you enjoy in the game, and what if there's that nobody you can't kill ? Doesn't matter, there are many qualities and skills one person can have beside being "gud @ game". Be yourself, enjoy what you like.

11 people like this

Posted

You sound like you need help for an addictive personality 

While I agree some people have addictive personalities (And I'm assuming you're echoing this from that Youtuber video) I am not one of them.  I don't need help as I can recognize the signs of addiction and eliminate the source.  I can honestly say that there is nothing in my life I'm addicted to, I don't like gambling, don't smoke, don't drink, have never done drugs etc. BDO was just intrinsically designed in a way that is incompatible with me.  If the "Grind" in the game were PvP-based I could do it all day because I love PvP (I was one of the longest Reigning Emperor's in ESO because of this)...but BDO is a PvE game and my brain requires human strategy to compete against over AI or it will just take a nap and hang me out to dry.

The hook for me isn't addiction...it is my sense of dominance, perfectionism and desire to compete at *anything*

For instance, before I quit I was in a "house war" with some random player in Velia who tried to take the #1 house from me. We went back and forth time and time again taking the Rank 1 home until our homes were valued over double what any other home in Velia is worth...and for what? The investment Bank I already knew was worthless, but I had to have the "#1" next to my name. Up until last night I easily had 20 million silver and $80 dollars sunk into that stupid house....just to beat that guy.

I agree that this game accentuates what is true in many mmos, that time = power, and the more time you spend the better you will be compared to everyone else.  But this can all be balanced by playing with friends or a solid guild.  Unless you run into a guild full of no lifers who can actually play and thats a small small minority.  I find myself logging in far too much, even now from work, but I do that with any mmo' that hooks me.

Yes I'm not suggesting this game be changed. It was designed to be exactly what you say and that is just not compatible with what I find enjoyable. There is a niche of gamers who do enjoy that sort of thing though so it's fine that BDO exist for them.

At the end of the day, I'm not a social player. I don't like massive guilds, or talking in teamspeak with groups of people all the time. I'm not much of a "Team" player to be honest. I've always been a soloist or paired with another like minded player against overwhelming odds.  There is no room for that in BDO.

Posted

Like the post above its all about balance for this game. Also you have to accept you cant competive aginst nolifers. 

I dont think this game is made for Mmorpg its more a solo/small grp game for me. You have to enjoy it and stop trying to catch up with top. So i found my enjoyment. 

Posted

I don't know why people do this with every MMO that comes out.  Pace yourself, these games are designed to be played over a long period of time.  There's no point in trying to be #1 in a game that's already been out for over a year.  Even if you did reach the top, new content will come out and it won't matter anymore.  

Even games that reward skill and strategy have a carrot for you to chase, even if it's just in the form of raising your rank.  If a scorched-earth policy is the only way you can break your habit, you've got bigger problems than BDO.  

Posted

While I agree some people have addictive personalities (And I'm assuming you're echoing this from that Youtuber video) I am not one of them.  I don't need help as I can recognize the signs of addiction and eliminate the source.  I can honestly say that there is nothing in my life I'm addicted to, I don't like gambling, don't smoke, don't drink, have never done drugs etc. BDO was just intrinsically designed in a way that is incompatible with me.  If the "Grind" in the game were PvP-based I could do it all day because I love PvP (I was one of the longest Reigning Emperor's in ESO because of this)...but BDO is a PvE game and my brain requires human strategy to compete against over AI or it will just take a nap and hang me out to dry.

The hook for me isn't addiction...it is my sense of dominance, perfectionism and desire to compete at *anything*

For instance, before I quit I was in a "house war" with some random player in Velia who tried to take the #1 house from me. We went back and forth time and time again taking the Rank 1 home until our homes were valued over double what any other home in Velia is worth...and for what? The investment Bank I already knew was worthless, but I had to have the "#1" next to my name. Up until last night I easily had 20 million silver and $80 dollars sunk into that stupid house....just to beat that guy.

Yes I'm not suggesting this game be changed. It was designed to be exactly what you say and that is just not compatible with what I find enjoyable. There is a niche of gamers who do enjoy that sort of thing though so it's fine that BDO exist for them.

At the end of the day, I'm not a social player. I don't like massive guilds, or talking in teamspeak with groups of people all the time. I'm not much of a "Team" player to be honest. I've always been a soloist or paired with another like minded player against overwhelming odds.  There is no room for that in BDO.

And some gamers have been calling for it.  Not every game can be everything to everyone.  I think if more people did what you are doing we would all be better off.  Instead of yelling on the forum for the devs to change the game to their tastes people should be playing the games out there that cater to them best.

1 person likes this

Posted

Man, I keep telling people that they're playing this game all wrong.

BDO is about the LONG game. Working for months and months until you plateau and then trying to compete.

Most people can't be at the front of the pack. Jobless individuals with nothing but free time will always be on top.

You just have to grind and get there eventually. Even in a year, very few people will have TET+ accessories or +20 Full Boss armor. The competitive level will be 59/60.

At that point you'll have a certain equilibrium. Which is what I assume PA wanted.

Also Red Battlefield is terrible. Why would you base your PvP experience off of that and not wait for Node wars/sieges? x.x RIP your chars.

I was playing for the long haul but as I said we can see far in the future in this game and there is no light at the end of the tunnel. I asked myself should I really invest a *year* of my life doing things I don't enjoy at all so that I can attempt to do something I do enjoy? The news from Korea is terrible. Players 1-shotting each other just like I was experiencing and to be honest, my choice of a Wizard as my main character was the wrong choice for my playstyle.  The balance in this game is terrible and we *all* know it.  I don't really want to dig on the game and it's players though, I don't want to get dragged down into the minutiae of issues facing this game with the F2P/B2P design permeating virtually every thing you do.

It is enough to understand at a high level, this game will always be: Success is directly proportional to time invested grinding PvE Mobs. Nothing has led me to believe that anything in the future happening would change that and once I finally accepted that fact I knew I had to break my ties.

1 person likes this

Posted

People quit GW2 cause ANet killed GvG and PvP with shitty balances. It was very good MMO, and people that enjoyed just to PvP be it in a group or 1v1 were playing it. I bet there are many left but GvG scene died long time ago sadly. One more game/part of the game that died bacause of shitty developers.

Huh? GW2 is way more "casual" than BDO. It was the terrible management and lack of releases (currently going on its 10th month of content drought) that is causing a lot of people to quit. GvG wasn't ever really a thing since it was hard to do so easily (especially after megaservers), and PvP was just always up and down. You might be talking about WvW, but that has always been a state of awful and shoved under the bed.

Posted

Competitiveness is a mirage every single moron is pursuing... Even if you're at the top, what then ? People still won't care about you, except the other morons previously quoted. Just do what you enjoy in the game, and what if there's that nobody you can't kill ? Doesn't matter, there are many qualities and skills one person can have beside being "gud @ game". Be yourself, enjoy what you like.

Competitiveness goes hand in hand with perfectionism. I'm not so immature as to believe I'm the "Best"...because "the best" doesn't exist. I've been the Rank 1 player on a national level out of hundreds of thousands if not millions of players in a game before but I knew even then how much room I had to improve. 

What lessons are there for me to learn when I'm repeatedly instagibbed by players?  Where can I improve my play? The solution isn't to adjust myself or my ability, it is to increase the effort/efficiency with which I grind PvE mobs...which is counterintuitive to me when I want to compete against *people.*

Posted

you seem to misunderstand things ( i wont read the whole thing )

Success is directly proportional to time invested grinding PvE Mobs. 

not true? lol

at the current patch pvp was very , very, very balanced, everyone could reach max/ competitive gear within 2 weeks and then be capped and pvp. Also open world PvE gave incentive for pvp. Accessory enchants barely matter for shit and i won so many fights as complete underdog with lesser gear vs more people. 

The only real problem in this game is rigged RNG and Boss gear. Since boss gear was added the game started dying as boss gear is so ridiculously -----ing broken and every scrub becomes terminator with it 

before that it was just fine 

Posted

Competitiveness goes hand in hand with perfectionism. I'm not so immature as to believe I'm the "Best"...because "the best" doesn't exist. I've been the Rank 1 player on a national level out of hundreds of thousands if not millions of players in a game before but I knew even then how much room I had to improve. 

What lessons are there for me to learn when I'm repeatedly instagibbed by players?  Where can I improve my play? The solution isn't to adjust myself or my ability, it is to increase the effort/efficiency with which I grind PvE mobs...which is counterintuitive to me when I want to compete against *people.*

I am the same way with MLB the show, every year I am in the top %.1 but theres still a lot of room to improve and it still makes me want to smash my controller.  Some games you just don't get that feeling though, like in WoW for me being in a top server guild and all the best loot, the fights felt mind numbing.  You learn the dance, you do the dps, get a chance at gear.  At the end of the day after enough time you have everything and then you wait 9 months for the next xpac

Posted

Yeah no. You're an addict. Seeing your problem or not having a history doesn't mean you have an addiction problem. 

You (and a lot of this community) are addicted to competition, to success, to win, to being superior, to being #1, to compete at literally anything like you said. 

Still not seeing it?

THE FACT THAT YOU SPENT 20 MILLION SILVER AND $80 ON AN IN-GAME HOUSE JUST SO YOU CAN BE #1.

Is enough to prove that.

This is why people are so frustrated with the game: because they CAN'T achieve their addiction of being successful, or being "competitive": be it due to rng, not enough time, frustration in how to get to that point, whatever. 

You may feel like there's a weight removed from your body now, but I bet you anything in a few days you'll start feeling urges and regrets, as well as great boredom and maybe even a depressive personality; withdrawals.

Regardless, I hope you find another game that can satisfy you without ending up like this one did to you.

Sincerely,

A gamer with an addictive personality.

9 people like this

Posted

Like the post above its all about balance for this game. Also you have to accept you cant competive aginst nolifers. 

I dont think this game is made for Mmorpg its more a solo/small grp game for me. You have to enjoy it and stop trying to catch up with top. So i found my enjoyment. 

Yes the enjoyment I did get out of the game was doing my solo activities. The game has a great combat system, an amazing crafting system and a ton of positives, but at my core I have to find ways to compete with others and being a top ranked Farmer in the game wasn't cutting it for me haha.

I do agree the game itself appeals to solo players....until you get into PvP and then there is no room for a solo player.

I don't know why people do this with every MMO that comes out.  Pace yourself, these games are designed to be played over a long period of time.  There's no point in trying to be #1 in a game that's already been out for over a year.  Even if you did reach the top, new content will come out and it won't matter anymore.  

Even games that reward skill and strategy have a carrot for you to chase, even if it's just in the form of raising your rank.  If a scorched-earth policy is the only way you can break your habit, you've got bigger problems than BDO.  

I never even wanted to be #1, I only desired to be on the same playing field. To be able to "Compete". 

Games that reward skill and strategy hang out Carrots yes, but those carrots rarely have an impact and I was never one to care for titles or ranks or even being recognized by others.  The reward for me in MMO PVP has always been success at beating another player through a combination of play, strategy, build and progression.  BDO, progression trumps all. 

Posted

Understanding it is the first step in controlling it. 

Posted

I feel you. The game gives me anxiety with how fast they release things. :P 

Posted (edited)

I never even wanted to be #1, I only desired to be on the same playing field. To be able to "Compete". 

Games that reward skill and strategy hang out Carrots yes, but those carrots rarely have an impact and I was never one to care for titles or ranks or even being recognized by others.  

Hmm...and yet you blew $80 because, "I had to have the "#1" next to my name"?

Still, it's your time.  Do what you feel you need to do.  

Edited by Drakkaelus

Posted

Yeah no. You're an addict. Seeing your problem or not having a history doesn't mean you have an addiction problem. 

You (and a lot of this community) are addicted to competition, to success, to win, to being superior, to being #1, to compete at literally anything like you said. 

Still not seeing it?

THE FACT THAT YOU SPENT 20 MILLION SILVER AND $80 ON AN IN-GAME HOUSE JUST SO YOU CAN BE #1.

Is enough to prove that.

This is why people are so frustrated with the game: because they CAN'T achieve their addiction of being successful, or being "competitive": be it due to rng, not enough time, frustration in how to get to that point, whatever. 

You may feel like there's a weight removed from your body now, but I bet you anything in a few days you'll start feeling urges and regrets, as well as great boredom and maybe even a depressive personality; withdrawals.

Regardless, I hope you find another game that can satisfy you without ending up like this one did to you.

Sincerely,

By your terminology everyone is addicted to everything they enjoy.  Typical forms of addiction are linked to dopamine release in the brain.  It's only truly an addiction when it rules your life at the expense of all else.  I clearly said I was addicted to the game and knew it and that's a major reason that I quit playing because I realized it was impacting my life and providing little true enjoyment. Doing something long after it is ceased being enjoyable is the surest sign of addiction. 

I have a host of other games queued up to play, I wont feel any urges or regrets just as I did not when I did the same thing in ESO.  Clean cuts are best to me, I'm an all or nothing kind of person.

Posted

so what if they enjoy competition ....?

Posted

Hmm...and yet you blew $80 because, "I had to have the "#1" next to my name"?

That's because that was one thing I *knew* I could compete in.  The other was Energy. I enjoyed unlocking knowledge and had more energy than anyone I knew and I knew there was a finite amount of it to be acquired.

Understand the difference between the two scenarios?