• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous

BDO: A Responsible *Competitive* Gamer's Nightmare

186 posts in this topic

Posted

Find me a gamer that doesn't have an addictive personality, and I'll eat my shoe.

People who don't play games with the carrot on a stick. 

Yeah I didn't mean to insult those who like fighting games, there is definitely some strategy involved. I've played them in my younger days. I guess the format is not "Open world" enough for me, it is too contained and the environments are relatively static and the fights 1 v 1 duels. I haven't really followed them much the past decade so maybe that all that has changed

Alot of what makes fighting games interesting for me is not always what I can do but what others who are significantly better can do with the game's systems. 

But yes each match is a self contained 1v1. I too very much enjoy mmo pvp. The thing about open world MMO pvp has to do with needing to level and gear up. This has more to do with the nature of MMORPGS and them needing the carrot on a stick to keep people interested. We can say cosmetic unlocks would be great but even that doesn't hold player's attention as much as some form of making their character stronger.

Posted (edited)

URL]I won't bore you all with some mini-review of the game as we've heard all that and I don't really have anything interesting or new to add to that particular subject. 

I knew this day was coming two weeks into the game but I was hooked by then and I refused to listen to the voice of reason in my head. I was "Invested" into the game and so I continued to throw both good money and time into it after the bad. I finally burned the bridge last night at the conclusion of yet another excruciatingly painful night of trying to complete the Red Battlefield daily.....getting CC > instagibbed by players who are supposedly AP capped over and over and over again.

I was shocked with how furious I was and I just stepped back and really thought about why I continued playing the game.  It was 3:30 AM and I had to get up for work in 4 hours and here I was doing one of the most painful things for me in the game for that next "carrot" to keep feeding a sense of "progression". At my core I am an extremely competitive person and my ability has always allowed me to perform at the upper echelon of every game I've played until now. 

Here I was living and breathing BDO. Playing it at work (Using my energy during down time to craft/sleep in a cash bed), playing it the moment I got home from work and virtually every minute I had of my free time at the expense of every thing else including sleeping for 4 hours a night on average since release. My work life suffered, my personal life suffered and my mental state was poor.  It's a classic sign of addiction and I continued lying to myself that it would get better somehow. Unlike most MMOs, in this MMO we can see over a year in the future through the Korean version and there is no light at the end of the tunnel there.  I was giving the game everything I had yet my mind is incapable of grinding mobs endlessly in order to progress my character. I chose slower paths to progression that I found reasonably enjoyable. Crafting, Exploring, Unlocked all the knowledge in the game, maxing contribution points and such, constantly mixing it up to keep my mind focused. Deep inside I realized I was playing MMO Farmville and that reality humiliated me. I'd often play to exhaustion, pass out on the floor next to my computer and wake up a couple hours later and continue where I left off.  I felt I was slowly "catching up"...most of my gear was Ultimate, +15 , PRI/DUO/TRI but in reality I was only licking the boots of the no-responsibility grinder on the power curve. Any personal ability or skill I possess, any strategy I could formulate has almost zero influence on my success in the game.  I was always at the mercy of the grinder and I found I could not compete on the level I was used to and still maintain any semblance of a responsible lifestyle. So I pulled the plug and deleted all of my characters to remove any temptation to return.

I joined this game to PvP because I was told it was a PvP game. If you haven't realized it by now, BDO is not a PvP game. I'm no stranger to grinding mobs or doing some "work" to progress my character's power to a reasonable peak as that is RPG MMO 101, but this endless progression in this game is a responsible gamer's worst nightmare.  You feel guilty for doing anything in real life because it comes at the expense of slipping even further behind the players you wish to compete with. 

I don't regret the time or the $600 I spent on BDO as it has taught me an important lesson in life and one that is worth far more than $600 or a thousand hours of my time:  At the end of the day, games should be played because you enjoy playing them, they're a leisure activity not a second job. I know there are a lot of people who have these same issues that I had and let me tell you I feel like I woke up this morning a new person....like a massive weight has been lifted off my chest. I don't have the slightest ounce of regret. The sun is shining, my schedule is now free to pursue again whatever it is I enjoy most and at some point and after I get caught up on sleep I'm going to find a PvP game that is designed to reward skill and strategy over time played. Above all I enjoy seeing my effectiveness improve by adjusting my playstyle instead of trying to find more ways to squeeze more time out of my life.

So that's my spiel, this is Ezareth signing out. I feel very few connections with the community in this game so I don't expect the majority of my fellow forum trolls to read this far. I only created this thread for those who are like me, knowing what they should have done a long time ago but lacking the will to pull the trigger just yet.

this is in poor words why a game must have a level cap and a balanced pvp.

Edited by Jonnyyy

Posted (edited)

or smarter player not easily addicted of with unbalanced personality

the paintbrush is a paintbrush if you know how to use you do a masterpiece if you sux at using it you do a shitty drawing

adding a mechanic arm to the paintbrush so you can pretend you can paint "assisted" by the mechanic arm doesn't mean the real paintbrush was a bad instrument only that the player was an idiot.

Edited by NgocTu

Posted

There is nothing forcing players to get +20. The systems in BDO are designed to be open ended and let players continuously get something for their playtime. Just because it's there, it doesn't mean if they can't get it, the game sucks. I know many players think the same as you but that doesn't make the system in place bad, it makes it not for them.

The only thing making players feel like they'll never compete or reach the top is themselves. There are plenty of ways to compete and other players outside the top 1% to compete against. Everyone does not need boss armor and livertos. It's not the games fault so many players fail to see that and only want to compete against the very best. Some players in Black Desert will be out of their league. 

Yes there is....are you kidding? If you don't get to +20, and stay at like +17 (Because you dont want to risk the possibility on dropping to +15 again), You will always get destroyed by that player that is +20. Yeah, you can get there at your own pace, but that wasnt my point. My point was saying that the RNG punishes the people who don't have a lot of time to put into the game because it is too harsh to begin with. For example, you could only have like 20 hours a week, if that, to put towards BDO, you are all +17 finally, and are slowly getting the required mats for +18 on whatever. You spend time getting all of these fail stacks because the actual value is unknown. You get to 60. after about a week of getting that to 60, and not improving any other gear, you try for that +18, you fail, back down to +15. That player just wasted a good 2 weeks of time because of the RNG.

As for the second part, if you're competing for top in Training or other life skills, sure there are other ways to compete, but I was never talking about becoming a rank 1 player. I was talking about best in slot gear. The only way to get them, for free, is by killing those bosses at the specific time they are up and try not to get 1 shot or you lose 1% xp(Or 5-20 minutes of farm time). Yeah you can buy them, but with all the Marketplace Sniping Bots out there, it's almost impossible. 

Posted

But yes each match is a self contained 1v1. I too very much enjoy mmo pvp. The thing about open world MMO pvp has to do with needing to level and gear up. This has more to do with the nature of MMORPGS and them needing the carrot on a stick to keep people interested. We can say cosmetic unlocks would be great but even that doesn't hold player's attention as much as some form of making their character stronger.

This is why I prefer MMO design with a more frontloaded character growth curve with a relative reachable by the majority softcap and then several Sideways Gear-grinds compared to allow players who want to "progress" their character the ability to do so and open up more options and builds for them without upsetting the power balance.

It is why a *competitive* game must have these things but this is not what I'd consider a competitive game as balance is a pipe dream in BDO.

or smarter player not easily addicted of with unbalanced personality

the paintbrush is a paintbrush if you know how to use you do a masterpiece if you sux at using it you do a shitty drawing

adding a mechanic arm to the paintbrush so you can pretend you can paint "assisted" by the mechanic arm doesn't mean the real paintbrush was a bad instrument only that the player was an idiot.

Or perhaps it means you just lack the creative talent of an artist required to use a paint brush. Lacking this you will always do a "shitty drawing" no matter how well formed your strokes with the brush is. I'd say for someone who loves insulting the intelligence of others, you're incredibly dense.

Posted (edited)

This is why I prefer MMO design with a more frontloaded character growth curve with a relative reachable by the majority softcap and then several Sideways Gear-grinds compared to allow players who want to "progress" their character the ability to do so and open up more options and builds for them without upsetting the power balance.

It is why a *competitive* game must have these things but this is not what I'd consider a competitive game as balance is a pipe dream in BDO.

Or perhaps it means you just lack the creative talent of an artist required to use a paint brush. Lacking this you will always do a "shitty drawing" no matter how well formed your strokes with the brush is. I'd say for someone who loves insulting the intelligence of others, you're incredibly dense.

exactly my point you lack intelligence to play this game while having fun like the artist lack creativity so the problem is not the paintbursh nor BDO 

you just prove my point

the paintbrush is the same bdo is the same for me and you but you live it as a job suffer and complain and whine I use it as a game have fun with friend don't stress about is defect and focus in what i find entertaining, and i find (as well as all the people in my guild) pretty cool we barely touched stuff lvl 50+ as we were busy living the world 1-49

you on the other hand lack the capacity to enjoy this type of game well don't blame the brush that's all i am saying you are just playing it wrong or your personality is not good for this type of game give up art, go and take an engineer class maybe.

Edited by NgocTu

Posted (edited)

This game is terribly unhealthy for anyone who wants to stay competitive and not resort to botting.  I knew it the second I saw "Korean Game."  I stopped playing weeks ago when I realized PvP would never be a measure of skill but a measure of who has the bigger man boobs.

Yeah no thanks, I understand you Koreans like to hop around in games and blow up NPCs all day long...but some of us don't call that stimulating game play.  I guess if you don't work, live with mom/dad, then you can get off flexing your e-muscles...but I am pretty sure your +260 or whatever skills won't score you an epic girls at the local club.

@Ezareth By the way, I told you bro.

Also, I heard Elder Scrolls Online was a FANTASTIC game.  Should come play DC with me and mow down all these EP scrubs!   ;-)

Edited by Makkir
1 person likes this

Posted

exactly my point you lack intelligence to play this game while having fun like the artist lack creativity so the problem is not the paintbursh nor BDO 

The irony of your own words is lost on you but not on me. Thanks for that.

This game is terribly unhealthy for anyone who wants to stay competitive and not resort to botting.  I knew it the second I saw "Korean Game."  I stopped playing weeks ago when I realized PvP would never be a measure of skill but a measure of who has the bigger man boobs.

Yeah no thanks, I understand you Koreans like to hop around in games and blow up NPCs all day long...but some of us don't call that stimulating game play.  I guess if you don't work, live with mom/dad, then you can get off flexing your e-muscles...but I am pretty sure your +260 or whatever skills won't score you an epic girls at the local club.

@Ezareth By the way, I told you bro.

Also, I heard Elder Scrolls Online was a FANTASTIC game.  Should come play DC with me and mow down all these EP scrubs!   ;-)

ESO is No different than BDO Makkir, just more casual friendly and cursed with horrible lag and full of the same sort of players who will cheat any time they can if they think they can get away with it. I deleted my characters there for a reason as well.  MMOs in general are unhealthy for those who play them with a more than casual frequency. Hell this is the first time I've turned my computer on in 2 days where when playing BDO I couldn't even shut it down for fear of falling farther behind everyone else. The hamster has to keep turning that wheel.  Now that the addiction is completely gone I've been able to see my time spent playing these game for the waste that they are. As I said before, I don't regret playing as it taught me a valuable lesson.  I'll never play another game that I can't enjoy playing at all times.... as that after all is the point of gaming for most people.  Playing a game just to feed an addiction it is designed to inflict upon you is not gaming to me.  It's easy to say this from the outside looking in, but from those of you still running on the wheel...I can understand your lack of conviction.

Posted (edited)

Its great to hear real voices of players, trying to balance and enjoy the gaming, there is so much focus on competitive gearing and staying on top of the curve, but then its always like that at the beginning of a new game.

GW2 /ESO  all the same .. gates open, mad rush for the top level .. then what? Go back and do it again? To stay competitive with player who give up their lives so that they can be the first with the Armour/ Weapon/ Mount/ Skin ... and its not where were going to be in 6 months .. so how long can you keep up the pace?

Either the game has enough content to keep you happy or it doesn't, and I mean happy! Rushing through it is one way of doing it, but I see too many players burning out in this game and omg, the paranoia is as bad as the addiction for some.  I saw that in the first week of pre, this game is huge, leveling and gear is just a part of the mechanic, and by trying to simplify it and focus on one element only, your bound to burn. I need some variation and just to chill sometimes, I have spent hours just checking out the map borders and looking at the views, they are f'ing awesome! Am I behind the curve, sure, but then I don't think this is a 100 meter race and I'm not expecting to be top dog, just lap him a few times.

I want to give this game a chance, I want to be here long enough see if the GvG works (god I hope so) but having played MMO's for a while now, I also want to pay my gas bill and afford a decent bottle of wine to drink while I play.

I had so much fun in WvW and AvA and my addiction is .. hoping ... that when the dust settles we have a PvP game, not just a fast and hard pissing competition.

Edited by Lola

Posted

Anyone who thinks BDO is competitive anything is fooling themselves... TBH, very few MMOs are truly competitive. MOBA, FPS, RTS, etc, might be better genres for that. 

Posted

23.February before game was even released I made this topic:

If it's competive for only 1% playerbase instead 100% then it's not competive game. Problem with this game are insane gap you can get with enchants. Max 10ap/dp should be allowed. There is also no class balance and level softcap should be at 58 and after that it's super super slow. 10x slower than it's now.