• Announcements

• IMPORTANT - REACH US IN THE NEW FORUM   05/04/2017

Ladies and gentlemen ATTENTION please:
      It's time to move into a new house!
        As previously announced, from now on IT WON'T BE POSSIBLE TO CREATE THREADS OR REPLY in the old forums. From now on the old forums will be readable only. If you need to move/copy/migrate any post/material from here, feel free to contact the staff in the new home. We’ll be waiting for you in the NEW Forums!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php

*New features and amazing tools are waiting for you, even more is yet to come in the future.. just like world exploration in BDO leads to new possibilities.
      So don't be afraid about changes, click the link above and follow us!
      Enjoy and see you on the other side!  
    • WICHTIG: Das Forum ist umgezogen!   05/04/2017

Damen und Herren, wir bitten um Eure Aufmerksamkeit, es ist an der Zeit umzuziehen!
        Wie wir bereits angekündigt hatten, ist es ab sofort nicht mehr möglich, neue Diskussionen in diesem Forum zu starten. Um Euch Zeit zu geben, laufende Diskussionen abzuschließen, könnt Ihr noch für zwei Wochen in offenen Diskussionen antworten. Danach geht dieses Forum hier in den Ruhestand und das NEUE FORUM übernimmt vollständig.
      Das Forum hier bleibt allerdings erhalten und lesbar.   Neue und verbesserte Funktionen warten auf Euch im neuen Forum und wir arbeiten bereits an weiteren Erweiterungen.
      Wir sehen uns auf der anderen Seite!

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php Update:
      Wie angekündigt könen ab sofort in diesem Forum auch keine neuen Beiträge mehr veröffentlicht werden.
    • IMPORTANT: Le nouveau forum   05/04/2017

Aventurières, aventuriers, votre attention s'il vous plaît, il est grand temps de déménager!
      Comme nous vous l'avons déjà annoncé précédemment, il n'est désormais plus possible de créer de nouveau sujet ni de répondre aux anciens sur ce bon vieux forum.
      Venez visiter le nouveau forum!
      https://community.blackdesertonline.com
      De nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que de nouveaux outils vous attendent dès à présent et d'autres arriveront prochainement! N'ayez pas peur du changement et rejoignez-nous! Amusez-vous bien et a bientôt dans notre nouveau chez nous
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Common misconceptions about BDO and Open World PvP/PK

57 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Black desert is a game, so by definition it is a form of competitive activity played according to the rules (the pvp system + flagging system + karma system).
Black Desert had open world PvP and PK since it's first day out of the doors of Pearl Abyss, in korea in CBT1. And Pearl Abyss mentioned that it will always be part of BDO and kept as unrestricted as possible, as every aspect of the game revolves around it. 
By definition open world pvp is unfair small or large scale pvp in which different tools are used to achieve a goal.
And for those wondering if BDO is a PvP game, the answer is yes. And i quote:

Black Desert Online is a competitive PvP game, where open world PvP and PK’ing is possible. We expect our players to look for an in game resolution for these issues.

Source: https://blackdesert.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/207567515-Reporting-a-Player-for-Harassment . This piece can also be found on the main page, in ToS, on facebook and twitter and also on youtube. It can also be found on the pages affiliated with Pearl Abyss (PA).

This being said, BDO promotes competition. Competition is the opposite of cooperation. It arises whenever at least two parties (2 players or 2 guilds related to bdo) strive for a goal which cannot be shared or which is desired individually (every resource in game, including monsters) but not in sharing and cooperation. Competition occurs naturally between living organisms (players) which co-exist in the same environment (the world of black desert).

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competition (first result on google). Real source: Sociology guide

While you can cooperate between the components of 2 parties (guilds or groups of players with the same mentality), you are cooperating to be able to compete against another party on a large scale for a common goal.

BDO also offers in-game tools for AFK activities, while also offering tools for PKing. Doing an in-game activity while AFK is not risk free, and requires you to understand the mechanism and systems that the game uses. As it was made already clear, BDO has an open world, divided in 2 types of zone: safe zones and un-safe zones. While doing AFK activities in an UN-SAFE zone you must understand that the RISK of PKing exists, PK which is also an in-game activity. You must also keep in mind that BDO is a competitive PvP game, where open world PvP and PK’ing is possible, so parties or certain players will take actions to slow you down from your progress for their own benefit of fighting at a later date against a weaker enemy. 

That being said, claims of players "harassing" or "griefing" other players while they are AFK by PKing them are untrue, as those AFK players assumed the risk of going AFK while in a UN-SAFE zone.

Those claims of harassing might come as insulting when they are addressed to people that do nothing else but enjoying the game via one of its many features, due to you not being a victim of anything, but a player just like him. According to the ToS such insults are, ironically, considered as harassment and result in 24h-7days bans.

Persons that classify themselves as victims are either unable to read or understand the game mechanics, due not not meeting the age requirement for such a complicated game or meeting the mental capacities required to play such a game, situation in which such a person should not be allowed to connect to the services offered by daum, as he might be traumatised mentally and later require medical intervention. Daum EU, in their ToS, note that they are not responsible for such things, as you access this game on your own responsibility (which means that whoever took the decision for you has the responsability; or if you took the decision you are not a victim).

With all this being said, you are not a victim of harassment or griefing as this game offers a special designed tool for PKing. Once you made the decision to go over level 45, the limit required for PvP, you are responsable of your own actions and decisions in the game world, such as AFK fishing in a un-safe zone (zone in which PvP may or may not happen due to Black Desert Online being a competitive PvP game, where open world PvP and PK’ing is possible).

The recent changes brought upon the PvP system of BDO restrict the players by removing consequences of PvP, and not replacing them with anything else. Those consequences were in place to determinate a winner of a conflict over a resource in the open world. Due to this change right now fights result in no winner and tend to go on forever and result in unhealthy behaviour such as one party of the conflict insulting upon the other which is considered harassment. This change also promotes Monster Kill Stealing which is considered unhealthy behaviour by many gaming communities.

Many players consider that either the old penalty (losing 1% exp on pvp death) must be re-installed or a new penalty must be applied (e.g: forced respawn to city after x number of deaths in pvp; using 50-100 energy to respawn to the closest node; etc.) to continue in having a proper PvP system that base itself on a proper balance of Risk VS Reward, with proper consequences for both parties involved in the activity of PvP-ing / PK-ing over in-game resources. The majority of players consider it unfair that only the winning party of such a conflict must suffer penalties (put in place by the karma system), while he gains no benefit nor the in-game resource out of it due to the losing party being able to come back to the place of the conflict without any consequences in less than 10 seconds.

In case of real harassment (stalking or insulting) players are encouraged to report such action via Support, in a ticket (must contain proof).

EDIT:

Please keep in mind that each player has it's own means to compete. Many will find it appropriate to slow the opposing party (the enemy) down by any means possible, so he can gain an advantage. 

Also please keep in mind that sportmanship has nothing to do with the competition, as this is a belief/state of mind, which, while shared by many, is not applicable to wars, which are simulated in video games. 

Edited by Chun-Chun
18 people like this

Posted

another one .....

Nr.5237 of the day?

Posted

another one .....

Nr.5237 of the day?

bet you didnt read any of it

Posted

too much ofc :/ 

Posted

another one .....

Nr.5237 of the day?

Too few AFK wagons for ganking at this time apparently. Whatever keeps him from spamming the horse breeding thread with WTBs is good in my book though.

2 people like this

Posted

Hahahaha, flood some more with DEFINITIONS. 

You butthurt "PVP"ers are starting to look more and more like femi-nazis :D

Posted

Feminazis have bigger peckers dude.

Posted (edited)

Feminazis have bigger peckers dude.

haaaaaa, sorry, missed that. True. :D

p.s. I am not your dude, buddy :P

Edited by Skaven Zverov

Posted

It is not definition that BDO is a PvP Game. It's something said by the Developer and publisher of the game.

It is also no definition that PK-ing is an ing-game activity which takes place in un-safe zones of the world, just like AFK fishing or training horses, activites which you both do at your own risk.

I am glad to keep in mind your constrcutive feedback.

Posted (edited)

Hmm... Y'all haven't figured it out yet that no matter how hard you sell that line of bull$hit, no one outside the Cult-Of-Pew is buying it. Get comfortable with the patch or get in line for CU or some other gankfest. Daum made the right decision here and I look forward to seeing them continue to balance the game for both of the audiences the game is designed for.

Edited by Alasondra Windmere
4 people like this

Posted

How did you know? 

wcqjAmY.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Honestly, this is probably the best one that summarizes what's going on, along with details what some people are actually complaining about other than people thinking it's just the xp loss removal.

Adding 20% durability loss or 5% change to lose 1 max durability on a single piece of gear (not accessories) on death would be nice and give a bit of extra risk too.

Posted

83e.jpg

Posted (edited)

Black desert is a game, so by definition it is a form of competitive activity played according to the rules (the pvp system + flagging system + karma system)......................................

No point. Most people are unable to understand that. =(

To many carebear noobs that want everything others worked months for in 1 day..

Edited by xMovingTarget

Posted

Hmm... Y'all haven't figured it out yet that no matter how hard you sell that line of bull$hit, no one outside the Cult-Of-Pew is buying it. Get comfortable with the patch or get in line for CU or some other gankfest. Daum made the right decision here and I look forward to seeing them continue to balance the game for both of the audiences the game is designed for.

Trust me.. CU WONT be a gankfest. With a sub model, it will keep the entitled F2P, "I can do what I want with no consequences" mentality minority out, I hope.

Posted

thing is Korea and Russian already have the latest balance patches, currently testing the ranger on KR, wonder how long it will take for it to make it eu/na, however we are missing some items, that helps keep class balance i.e potions/items and awakenings 

Posted

Abso-funkin-lutely.

Posted

"Throwing insults when your not capabale of constrcuitve feedback kid, immature fat ass "

I guess that now we can see who is truly imature.

Posted

No point. Most people are unable to understand that. =(

To many carebear noobs that want everything others worked months for in 1 day..

You mean like that retard who wants to buy the horse I worked months for with money he got in 2 hours grinding? What was his name again....?

2 people like this

Posted

I think it's time to accept to check somewhere else. It may be hard for people who already spend a lot of money or time in the game. But the sooner you will accept to turn the page, the better.

Posted

I can deal with the fact xp loss was removed, but what I can't deal with is that they didn't balance it with the karma system. Its not justified to allow one person to lose nothing while the other gets forced into losing karma. If the person killed was forced to spawn in town on PvP deal, that's fine; if a person killed lost a good chunk of durability (not max), that's fine too. But allowing the person who died to respawn to just to leech/troll people who can lose more by dropping a lot of karma isn't.

3 people like this

Posted

I think it's time to accept to check somewhere else. It may be hard for people who already spend a lot of money or time in the game. But the sooner you will accept to turn the page, the better.

Thank you for your time not giving on reading this.

This is in no way shape or form a complain or a quiting letter. Please stay on topic and do not twist facts around your fingers.

This is an informative thread.

Posted (edited)

You mean like that retard who wants to buy the horse I worked months for with money he got in 2 hours grinding? What was his name again....?

How the hell should I know :P

It certainly wasnt me :P 

I was breeding my own horses, because badass horse breeder! lol

Edited by xMovingTarget

Posted

to be honest black desert is NOT a competetive PvP game... if u really say it is competetive than you NEVER played a competetive PvP game

even archeage is more competetive than BDO at the moment

1 person likes this

Posted

I can deal with the fact xp loss was removed, but what I can't deal with is that they didn't balance it with the karma system. Its not justified to allow one person to lose nothing while the other gets forced into losing karma. If the person killed was forced to spawn in town on PvP deal, that's fine; if a person killed lost a good chunk of durability (not max), that's fine too. But allowing the person who died to respawn to just to leech/troll people who can lose more by dropping a lot of karma isn't.

I understand your point and can almost sympathize with it, but after the way the community on that side of the fence has traditionally treated PvE'ers I can only see it a long overdue comeuppance.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0